National Student Bursaries Scheme 2016/17
The GAA have again reiterated their commitment to the ongoing educational development of its players and members by announcing details of the 2016/2017 GAA National Student Bursary scheme. Now in its tenth year, the scheme is open to members of the Association who are attending a full-time Higher Education course (except those who hold another GAA-related or college scholarship/bursary) and who are active participants in their Higher Education club; to date the GAA has invested close to €2million in the eight years that its Bursary Schemes have been in existence.
The schemes are administered by the respective Provincial Councils and recipients will again be selected based on a range of criteria, including their playing, coaching or administrative commitments to the GAA. A number of awards in each province will be reserved for those excelling in the areas of coaching and administration.
Applications for the scheme will be considered by a sub-committee in each province; each bursary granted will be for €750 in Munster, Leinster and Connacht (Ulster Amount TBC).
Further information and application forms for this year’s scheme are available to download from www.gaa.ie, the various GAA Provincial Council websites (see below) and offices and from the Higher Education Colleges website http://he.gaa.ie/. Students should apply using the relevant application form to the Provincial Council of their home GAA Club.
All completed forms should be returned to the relevant Provincial Council and the closing dates for applications is Friday October 7th.
Senior Inter-County players who were on their County’s Senior Panel in 2016 should apply for Bursaries via the Gaelic Players Association; further information at www.gaelicplayers.com.
Munster GAA Third Level Student Bursaries Scheme – Terms and Conditions
Munster GAA will yet again reiterate its commitment to the educational development of players in the province through the provision of 93 bursaries for students at various third level colleges throughout the province.
The following are the terms and conditions of the bursary scheme:
1. The application is open to members of the Association (be they male or female) who are attending a full time Higher Education course and who are active participants in their Higher Education GAA Club
2. Munster GAA has allocated a fixed number of bursaries to each college in the province (based on size and playing population). A small number will also be set aside for students who are in colleges located outside of Munster.
3. Completed application forms are to be returned to Munster GAA, Áras Mumhan, Newcastle, Castletroy, Co Limerick not later than Friday 7th October 2016
4. The bursary is valued at €750 which will be paid in two equal installments of €375. The first payment will be made before December with the second installment being paid towards the end of the Third Level playing season (on confirmation from the Higher Education GAA Club that the recipient contributed to the club and also fulfilled the necessary criteria of a full time academic student)
5. A condition of receiving the bursary is the demonstration of a commitment to the Higher Education GAA Club either as a player or administrator. Munster GAA will set aside a minimum of 20% of the bursaries in each college for either coaching and administration.
6. Those who receive College GAA or GPA scholarships/bursaries are not eligible
7. Players who were on Senior Inter County panels in 2016 will be dealt with under the GPA’s scheme only and will therefore not be considered for Munster GAA Bursaries.
8. Bursaries may be awarded in successive years; to a maximum of 2 years in total.
Any queries contact your Third Level GAA Development Officer OR Munster Games Managers:
Pat O’Shea (087–6157317) or Joey Carton (087–9215541)
TRALEE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – EAMONN FITZGERALD
Clash, Tralee, Co. Kerry
(M) 086 4014295 (E) email@example.com
CORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – KEITH RICKEN
C.I.T., Rossa Avenue, Bishopstown, Cork
(P) 021-4545343 (E) firstname.lastname@example.org
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE CORK – JOHN GRAINGER
U.C.C., The Mardyke Arena, Mardyke, Cork
(P) 021-4276871 (Ext. 2738) (E) email@example.com
WATERFORD INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – CONOR PHELAN
W.I.T., Cork Rd, Waterford
(P) 051-302239 (E) firstname.lastname@example.org
MARY IMMACULATE COLLEGE – JOE REDINGTON
Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Rd, Limerick
(P) 061-774705 (E) email@example.com
UNIVERSITY OF LIMERICK – DEIRDRE MURPHY
Room PG-001, PESS Building, University of Limerick, Castletroy, Limerick
(P) 061-202854 (E) firstname.lastname@example.org
LIMERICK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – PAUL BROWNE
L.I.T., Moylish, Limerick
(P) 061-208203 (E) email@example.com
LIT TIPPERARY – PAUL BROWNE
Nenagh Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
ST. PATRICK’S COLLEGE THURLES – FR. TOM FOGARTY
Thurles, Co. Tipperary
(M) 086-2425425 (E) firstname.lastname@example.org