- This event has passed.
Munster Under 25 Reserve Hurling Final – Limerick 4-12 Waterford 1-19
Limerick defeated Waterford by 4-12 to 1-19 in the Munster Under 25 Reserve Hurling Final on Sunday June 18th at Semple Stadium Thurles.
— The42.ie (@The42_ie) June 18, 2017
Oisin O’Reilly hat-trick leads Limerick past Waterford to Munster U25 reserves hurling crown
Limerick 4-12 Waterford 1-19
Report by Jackie Cahill for the42.ie
OISIN O’REILLY bagged a hat-trick of goals to seal the inaugural Munster U25 Reserves hurling title for Limerick in Thurles this afternoon.
In sweltering conditions, the Shannonsiders had a decisive goal touch to deny Waterford at Semple Stadium, in what was the first final of a competition which has replaced the intermediate grade.
First half goals from O’Reilly and Kyle Dillion helped to keep Limerick in touch at half-time, trailing by 2-6 to 0-13 against the Déise. The sides were level on six occasions in that first half and this tie was very much in the melting pot right up until the end.
While Limerick finished with four goals, Waterford net-minder Billy Nolan was still one of Waterford’s most impressive performers on the day, pulling off a number of fine saves. O’Reilly’s second goal, in the 49th minute, edged Limerick back in front by a point, 3-9 to 0-17, before Waterford’s leading scorer Shane Ryan bagged his side’s only goal a minute later.
That was the cue for Limerick to hit back in kind with six minutes of normal time remaining, as O’Reilly completed his treble. Having regained the whip hand again, Limerick would not be caught, as manager Pat Donnelly got to run the rule over some players who could feature against Tipperary in the Bord Gáis Energy Munster U21 championship later this week.
Nolan had the chance to level matters late on from a 20m free, but his rising drive cleared the crossbar, after Limerick had lost Andrew La Touche Cosgrave to a red card following a high tackle on Edmund O’Halloran.
Scorers for Limerick: Oisin O’Reilly 3-1, Kyle Dillion 1-3 (0-3f), Seamus Flanagan & Brian Ryan (2f) 0-2 each, Jack Cagney, Conor O’Grady, Lorcan Lyons & Mike Mackey 0-1 each.
Scorers for Waterford: Shane Ryan 1-5 (0-2f), Jack Prendergast & Cormac Curran 0-3 each, Andy Molumby, Edmund O’Halloran & John Paul Lucey 0-2 each, Billy Nolan (f) & Ryan Grey 0-1 each.
1. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown)
4. Luke Doran (Ballybrown)
17. Willie O’Meara (Askeaton)
2. Sean Hogan (Adare)
18. Jack O’Grady (Knockainey)
5. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
7. Cian O’Brien (Mungret/St Paul’s)
19. Conor O’Grady (Hospital-Herbertstown)
8. Jack Cagney (Granagh/Ballingarry)
10. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
22. Mike Mackey (Adare)
12. Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
13. Kyle Dillion (Bruff)
11. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh)
14. Oisin O’Reilly (Kilmallock)
21. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen) for O’Grady (35)
20. Cian Magnier Flynn (Killeedy) for O’Brien (38)
23. Finn Hourigan (Murroe/Boher) for Hogan (46)
24. Eoin Ryan (Adare) for Dillion (49)
1. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
2. David Prendergast (Lismore)
3. Stephen O’Neill (Mount Sion)
21. Darragh Lynch (Passage)
5. Jordan Henley (Tallow)
6. Ray Barry (Lismore)
7. Dermot Ryan (Fourmilewater)
15. Andrew Casey (Ballyduff Upper)
8. Andy Molumby (Cappoquin)
9. Edmund O’Halloran (Clashmore/Kinsalebeg)
12. Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers)
11. Jack Prendergast (Lismore)
14. Shane Ryan (De La Salle)
22. John Paul Lucey (Shamrocks)
20. Eddie Meaney (De La Salle)
24. Ryan Grey (Tallow) for Casey (28)
4. Mikey Daykin (Mount Sion) for Barry (48)
17. Conor Morrissey (Brickey Rangers) for Meaney (51)
Referee: Philip Kelly (Tipperary)
Limerick win Munster U-25 hurling title with O'Reilly hat-trick of goals https://t.co/ASc3YAqX3Y
— Limerick Leader (@Limerick_Leader) June 18, 2017
Action shots from todays Munster U25 Hurling final when Limerick U25 hurling team defeated Waterford by 4-12 to 1-19 in Thurles. pic.twitter.com/H1WucdxYEL
— Limerick GAA (@LimerickCLG) June 18, 2017