- This event has passed.
Munster Junior Football Championship Semi-Final – Cork 1-21 Tipperary 0-10
Cork defeated Tipperary by 1-21 to 0-10 in the Munster Junior Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday June 12th at Semple Stadium Thurles.
Clinical Cork make light work of Tipp to book spot in Munster junior final
Cork 1-21 Tipperary 0-10
Report by Jackie Cahill for the Irish Independent newspaper
Clinical Cork had Michael Vaughan, Killian O’Hanlon and Mark Sugrue in free-scoring form as they demolished Tipperary by 14 points in yesterday’s Munster JFC semi-final in Thurles.
The Rebels, aiming for a first provincial crown since 2013, booked a final spot with Kerry on June 30 after leading from start to finish. Vaughan, O’Hanlon and Sugrue bagged 12 points from play between them as Gerry O’Connor weighed in with three of his four points from placed balls.
And given Kerry’s struggles against Clare in Killarney yesterday, Cork will feel confident of avenging their heavy final defeats against the Kingdom in 2014 and again last year. Leading by 1-11 to 0-6 at half-time, Cork pushed on after the break and inflicted further punishment on Tipp.
Fielding four players who started the EirGrid U21 final defeat to Mayo, and with Sean O’Leary boosting that contingent by coming off the bench, Cork had too much craft and guile for their outclassed hosts.
One of those U21 stars, Kieran Histon, scored a 19th minute goal as Cork stormed into a 1-5 to 0-3 lead and they were nine clear twice in the first half before claiming an eight-point interval lead.
Tipp managed just five points from play in the entire game, two of them supplied by one of last year’s minor stars, Aidan Buckley, and they never looked like mounting a second half comeback.
Scorers for Cork: M Sugrue 0-6 (2f, 1 45), M Vaughan 0-5, K O’Hanlon & G O’Connor (3f) 0-4 each, K Histon 1-0, B Coughlan & D Harrington 0-1.
Scorers for Tipperary: J Ryan 0-4f, A Buckley 0-2, T Hanley, D Butler (f), J Kennedy & S Grogan 0-1 each.
CORK: A Casey; D Colfer, P Murphy, J Mullins; D O’Neill, B Daly, K Histon; B Coughlan, C Brosnan; M Vaughan, K O’Hanlon, R Harkin; M Sugrue, G O’Connor, D Harrington.
Subs: E Buckley for Harrington (44), S O’Leary for Brosnan (50), C Moynihan for Harkin (50), N McCarthy for Histon (52), TJ Brosnan for Mullins (53), P Condon for Vaughan (56).
TIPPERARY: J McDonald; C O’Connor, R O’Callaghan, A McGuire; L Moore, E Moloney, G Ryan; A Buckley, C Dillon; T Hanley, N McKenna, J Bergin; J Ryan, D Butler, J Kennedy.
Subs: M O’Dwyer for McKenna (h.t.), D Bargary for Moloney (39), S Grogan for Butler (40), TJ Ryan for Hanley (44), D Hayes for Dillon (51), G Peters for McDonald (54).
Referee: S Joy (Kerry)
The Tipperary Junior football manager Tommy Toomey has announced his side to face Cork in the Munster Junior Football Championship Semi-Final in Semple Stadium, at 1.30pm next Sunday. Showing a number of changes to his side, Tommy has drafted in minor star of last year Jack Kennedy from Clonmel Commercials at top of the left while Christy O’Connor from Newport comes in at left corner back. Elsewhere, Rian O’Callaghan, Gavin Ryan, Aidan Buckley and Jamie Bergin all introduced the last day, retain their places.
The full panel is as follows –
1. Jake McDonald – Clonmel Commercials
2. Adrian McGuire – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
3. Rian O’Callaghan – Ballyporeen
4. Christy O’Connor – Newport
5. Luke Moore – Clonmel Commercials
6. Emmet Moloney – Drom & Inch
7. Gavin Ryan – Rockwell Rovers
8. Aidan Buckley – St. Patrick’s
9. Cathal Dillon (Capt.) – Aherlow Gaels
10. Thomas Hanley – Aherlow Gaels
11. Niall McKenna – Cahir
12. Jamie Bergin – Drom & Inch
13. Joe Ryan – Kilmurry
14. David Butler – Drom & Inch
15. Jack Kennedy – Clonmel Commercials
16. Gordan Peters – Aherlow Gaels
17. Daithi Bargary – Golden-Kilfeacle
18. Mikey O’Dwyer – Arravale Rovers
19. Stephen Ryan – Golden-Kilfeacle
20. David Hayes – Fethard
21. Mark Butler – Loughmore-Castleiney
22. Graham Quinn – Clonmel Óg
23. Seamus Grogan – Aherlow Gaels
24. T.J. Ryan – Rockwell Rovers
The Cork Junior Football team to play Tipperary on Sunday has been announced https://t.co/vmN1em49Ea
— Cork GAA (@OfficialCorkGAA) June 9, 2016
The Cork Junior Football team to play Tipperary on Sunday 12th June @ 1.30pm in Semple Stadium has been announced as follows
(1) Anthony Casey (Kiskeam)
(2) Diarmuid Colfer (Glanworth)
(3) Peter Murphy (Bandon)
(4) John Mullins (Eire Og)
(5) David O’ Neill (Mayfield)
(6) Bart Daly (Newmarket)
(7) Kieran Histon (Cobh)
(8) Brian Coughlan (Kinsale)
(9) Cillian Brosnan (Brian Dillons)
(10) Michael Vaughan (Millstreet)
(11) Killian O’ Hanlon (Kilshannig)
(12) Ryan Harkin (Mallow)
(13) Mark Sugrue (Bandon)
(14) Gerry O’ Connor (Boherbue)
(15) David Harrington (Adrigole)
(16) Anthony Kidney (Passage)
(17) Colm Hyde (Naomh Aban)
(18) Matthew Taylor (Mallow)
(19) Niall McCarthy (Kinsale)
(20) T.J Brosnan (Newmarket)
(21) Sean O’ Leary (Bantry Blues)
(22) Chris Moynihan (Gabriel Rangers)
(23) Eoghan Buckley (St Michaels)
(24) Paul Condon (Mayfield)