Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

Munster Colleges’ SHC ‘B’ Q-Final replay – Dungarvan CBS v Abbey CBS

February 3, 2010 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm

Munster Colleges’ S.H.C. ‘B’ quarter-final replay:-

Dungarvan CBS 3-13 … Abbey CBS 2-4

Report by Dylan O’Gorman and Johnny Lowry

After earning a second chance through a last gasp goal a fortnight earlier, the Abbey C.B.S. had no answer to Dungarvan C.B.S. in the replay of the Munster Colleges’ senior hurling ‘B’ championship quarter-final, played at Cahir on Wednesday of last week. Despite trailing by a mere two points at half time the Abbey were well out of it in the second period losing eventually by twelve points.

The match didn’t start as the Abbey would have hoped, giving away a free in the first minute which was easily converted by Colm Curran. This was followed up by two more Dungarvan points in the next five minutes as the Abbey started slowly. However, Cathal Martin eventually opened the Abbey’s account with their first point.

The Abbey’s backs were playing superbly with Shane Leahy and Mark Hanley showing great heart and determination throughout the first half. The Abbey went on to score three more points in the opening period, two from Sean O’Meara and the other from Sean Dillon. They were fortunate not to concede a goal when Donough Leahy made a fantastic save and the match was still in the melting pot at half time with the Tipperary lads trailing by just two points, 0-6 to 0-4.

The second half started much the same as the first with Dungarvan dominating the early stages and Colm Curran pointing to stretch their lead. After seven minutes of the half Luke Egan scored a controversial goal for Dungarvan with the umpires disagreeing on whether or not it was a goal. However, in the end it counted.

After another point for Dungarvan the Abbey decided they needed a change bringing in Liam O’Dea and Chris Ryan for Tommy O’Mahony and Niall Donovan. However, as the game progressed it could be seen that these substituted could not overcome the strength of the Dungarvan team as they went on to score two more soft goals by Luke Egan and Cathal Curran in quick succession.

Near the end the Abbey staged something of a fight back with good play from Fintan Ryan resulting in a Bryan Lowry goal and in the final minute strong play from the Abbey full back line ended with a great goal from Liam O’Dea. However, it was too little too late with Dungarvan comfortable winners in the end.

Perhaps the task of playing Colaiste ns Sceilge in the Munster ‘A’ football quarter-final between the hurling draw and replay proved too much for the Abbey.

Abbey CBS: Donough Leahy (Arravale Rvs.); Shane Leahy (Arravale Rvs.), Killian Ryan (Arravale Rvs.), Ger O’Dwyer (Arravale Rvs.); Mark Hanley (Aherlow), Michael Hanley (Lattin\Cullen), Keith Bourke (Oola); Niall Donovan (Arravale Rvs.) and Fintan Ryan (Arravale Rvs.); Cathal Martin 0-1 (Lattin\Cullen), Sean O’Meara 0-2 (Arravale Rvs.), Paddy Dalton (Arravale Rvs.); Bryan Lowry 1-0 (Arravale Rvs.), Sean Dillon 0-1 (Aherlow), Tommy O’Meara (Pallasgreen). Subs: Liam O’Dea 1-0 for Tommy O’Mahony, Chris Ryan for Niall Donovan, Liam Kavanagh for Cathal Martin and Sean Kilcoyne for Sean Dillon.

Dungarvan CBS: Darren Duggan; Kevin Sheehan, Colm Walshe, Liam Beresford; Kieran Power, Eoin Healy, Jamie Barron; Tom Curran 0-1 and Kevin Phelan; Colm Curran 0-9, Jim Curran 0-2, Sean Ryan 0-1; Donie Breathnach, Luke Egan 2-0, Cathal Curran 1-0.

Ref: Mike O’Connor


February 3, 2010
2:30 pm - 4:30 pm

GAA Units