- This event has passed.
Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Play-Off 2 – Limerick 0-19 Waterford 1-7
Limerick defeated Waterford by 0-19 to 1-7 in the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Play-Off 2 on Thursday May 11th at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.
— The GAA (@officialgaa) May 11, 2017
Perfect 10 for O’Brien as Limerick advance to Munster semi-final
Limerick 0-19 Waterford 1-7
Tomás McCarthy reports from the Gaelic Grounds for the42.ie
PAUL O’BRIEN DELIVERED 10 points (nine from dead balls) as the Limerick minors shrugged off a sticky Waterford challenge in the final quarter at the Gaelic Grounds.
The lethal marksman from Mungret St Pauls didn’t shoot a wide all evening with Dylan O’Shea (0-3) and Ronan Connolly (0-2) providing support in attack. Conor Nicholas and Jerome Boylan starred in defence as the Shannonsiders advanced to the provincial semi-finals next month.
Waterford closed to within a point early in the second half mainly through the endeavours of Billy Power. But James Lacey’s charges hit 11 wides and Thomas Douglas pinged the ball off the crossbar at a crucial stage. Five of the six starting forwards were replaced before the full-time whistle. Waterford were dealt a blow prior to throw-in as full-back James Flavin missed out through injury.
Limerick midfielder Rory Duff snapped the sliotar immediately and split the posts after just seven seconds and O’Brien, Ronan Connolly and Dylan O’Shea quickly developed a four-point gap.
The visitors recovered though as Ian Beecher and Billy Power raised white flags. Seven minutes before the break, Iarlaith Daly was sandwiched by Nicholas and Mikey O’Brien and referee John McCormack signalled for a penalty. Captain Thomas Douglas billowed the roof of the net with an absolute stinger to level matters (0-5 to 1-2).
The Treaty men claimed the last four points of the half, however. Paul O’Brien knocked over two frees and a ’65 while O’Shea registered his second single to make it 0-9 to 1-2 in favour of John Mulqueen’s side. On the change of ends, Power narrowed the gap to two with an early brace before Douglas cracked a shot off the metalwork five minutes into the second half. Another Power double from frees then left only a point between them (0-10 to 1-6).
But the team in green eased the pressure through three unanswered points. Iarlaith Daly got the Déise back within striking distance heading into the last quarter but it proved to be their final score of the evening. Jerome Boylan took charge at centre-back and late points by David Woulfe, Connolly and Paul O’Brien wrapped up a home victory.
Limerick face an away trip to Clare in the last four on 28 June.
Scorers for Limerick: Paul O’Brien 0-10 (8fs, 1 65’), Dylan O’Shea 0-3, David Woulfe, Ronan Connolly 0-2 each, Dan Minehan, Rory Duff 0-1 each.
Scorers for Waterford: Billy Power 0-5 (4fs), Thomas Douglas 1-0 (1-0 pen), Iarlaith Daly, Ian Beecher 0-1 each.
1. Daithi Heffernan (Mallow)
2. Conor Flahive (Mungret St Pauls)
3. Conor Nicholas (Monaleen)
4. Ciaran Barry (Ahane)
5. Mikey O’Brien (Doon)
6. Jerome Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)
7. Dan Minehan (Ahane)
8. Michael O’Grady (Knockainey)
9. Rory Duff (Mungret St Pauls)
10. Paul O’Riordan (Bruff)
11. Paul O’Brien (Mungret St Pauls)
12. David Woulfe (Kilmallock)
13. Dylan O’Shea (Garryspillane)
14. Ronan Connolly (Adare)
15. Ryan Tobin (Garryspillane)
22. Brian O’Grady (Kilteely/Dromkeen) for Mikey O’Brien (13)
24. Eoin Sheehan (Garryspillane) for O’Riordan (41)
23. Jack Ryan (Doon) for Duff (41)
19. Calvin Carroll (Patrickswell) for Tobin (48)
1. Eoghan Browne (Mount Sion)
18. Dan Booth (Colligan)
17. Matt Noonan (Cappoquin)
4. Tadhg Foley (Ballygunner)
5. Mairtín Power (Clonea)
6. Tom Barron (Fourmilewater)
7. Luke O’Brien (Mount Sion)
8. Sean Whelan-Barrett (Abbeyside)
9. Edward Cullen (Mount Sion)
10. Conor Whelan (Brickey Rangers)
11. Iarlaith Daly (Lismore)
12. Ian Beecher (Tallow)
13. Tom Looby (Abbeyside)
14. Thomas Douglas (De La Salle)
15. Billy Power (Clonea)
22. Niall O’Keeffe (Passage) for Looby (h-t)
24. John Devine (Dungarvan) for Whelan (h-t)
19. Sean Carton (De La Salle) for Douglas (49)
23. Kyle Bennett (Lismore) for Beecher (56)
21. Evan McGrath (Mount Sion) for Power (56)
Referee: John McCormack (Tipperary)
Limerick Minor Hurling team Announced: https://t.co/QTxmdi9tGC
— Limerick GAA (@LimerickCLG) May 9, 2017
Manager John Mulqueen and his selectors has released their minor hurling team and match panel for this Thursday evenings Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship semi final meeting with Waterford in the Gaelic Grounds at 7pm. The Limerick Team and match panel is as follows
1. Daithi Heffernan (Mallow), 2. Conor Flahive (Mungret St. Pauls),
3. Conor Nicholas (Monaleen) (Captain), 4. Ciaran Barry (Ahane),
5. Mikey O’Brien (Doon), 6. Jerome Boylan (Na Piarsaigh), 7. Dan Minehan (Ahane), 8. Michael O’Grady (Knockainey), 9. Rory Duff (Mungret St. Pauls), 10. Paul O’Riordan (Bruff), 11. Paul O’Brien (Mungret/St. Pauls), 12. David Woulfe (Kilmallock), 13. Dylan O’Shea (Garryspillane), 14. Ronan Connolly (Adare), 15. Ryan Tobin (Garryspillane).
Subs: 16. Gearoid Barry (Kilmallock), 17. Kevin Bonar (Bruff), 18. Ken Byrnes (Old Christians), 19. Calvin Carroll (Patrickswell), 20. Jason Fitzgibbon (Cappamore), 21. David Moloney (Monaleen), 22. Brian O’Grady (Kilteely/Dromkeen), 23. Jack Ryan (Doon), 24. Eoin Sheehan (Garryspillane).