Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

Cadbury Munster Under 21 Football Final – Cork 2-24 Kerry 0-8

April 6, 2011 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Click here to view video highlights

Rebels rack up record as Kerry are blown away

Cork 2-24 Kerry 0-9

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, April 07, 2011

LAST night’s Munster U21FC final in Páirc Uí Rinn was a clash that promised much but ultimately only Cork could savour the action that unfolded. The pre-match notions that this would be a tight and engaging contest were firmly shredded as Cork demolished a beleaguered Kerry outfit. It was a remarkable result as the Rebels claimed their fourth title in this grade in six years, with the margin of their victory simply staggering. At the final whistle Cork had a hefty cushion of 22 points to spare as they comfortably eclipsed the previous record win in this competition, which was set in 1982 when Cork defeated Kerry 2-12 to 0-4 in the decider.

On a beautiful night for football, 6,000 supporters filed through the turnstiles in anticipation of an absorbing encounter. Instead they got a game which Cork had wrapped up by the interval, when they held a stunning advantage of 2-13 to 0-3. The tone was set in a blistering opening 10-minute period as Cork posted 2-4 and only shipped a solitary James O’Donoghue in reply. The two goals were registered by inside men Barry O’Driscoll and Donal Óg Hodnett, who were in terrific form all through. Cork made a key positional change from their semi-final against Tipperary by putting the left-footed O’Driscoll at right corner-forward and stationing Hodnett as the target man at the edge of the square. The move paid handsome dividend as O’Driscoll notched 1-6 over the hour and Hodnett fired 1-4, with the Kerry defence unable to suppress their threat.

O’Driscoll raised the first green flag in the sixth minute when he slotted into the corner after a lung-bursting run from the back by his Nemo Rangers colleague Alan Cronin. Within 60 seconds Cork had the ball in the Kerry net again. Paul Honohan punted a clever pass forward to Hodnett who tore past Kerry full-back Mark Griffin and, after his first shot was blocked by netminder Brian Kelly, knocked home the rebound. Outside them, Ciaran Sheehan illustrated why he has been to the fore at a higher grade with a forceful and impressive performance at wing-forward, while alongside him the display of Mark Collins suggested it will not be long before he also makes the jump to senior level. Between them they contributed 10 points, with Sheehan making several powerful runs and Collins taking his frees with composure all night.

Kerry were left reeling by the power and pace exhibited by Cork. By the 34th minute they had already sprung four substitutes from the bench, with key players like centre-back Barry Shanahan and midfielder Edmund Walsh withdrawn. That was indicative of the problems John Kennedy’s men faced on the night. Barry John Walsh, consigned to a bench role at the outset due to a hamstring injury, was brought on as early as the 28th minute and showed flashes of menace. In the 37th minute, he fielded a high ball from James O’Donoghue, Kerry’s best and most inventive player on the night, before turning and slamming a shot against the bar.

As they tried to bridge such a huge deficit, Kerry desperately searched for goals but their pursuit was fruitless and that miss was a setback. To compound a miserable night for them, Paul Geaney dusted himself down in injury-time after being fouled only to see his penalty fly low past the upright. The ruthlessness that Cork displayed from the off ensured they would never be caught. Aidan Walsh produced a customary display of strength at midfield while Micheal Ó’Laoire complemented him brilliantly to ensure Cork were dominant in that sector. With O’Driscoll, Collins, Hodnett and Sheehan all on song up front, Cork had inserted serious daylight between the teams at the break as they enjoyed a massive 16-point advantage.

In the second half, Kerry produced a mini-revival as they strung together four points between the 36th and 42nd minutes to leave them trailing 2-15 to 0-7. However, Cork’s defence was magnificent and they never looked like conceding a deluge of scores. Liam Jennings and Damian Cahalane lead a disciplined and focused effort while half-back Jamie Wall thrived going forward as he claimed two points. Long before the finish Cork’s minds had drifted to an All-Ireland semi-final date with Galway on Saturday week but they kept racking up the scores in any case.

Hodnett showed his class with scores off right and left, Collins converted more frees and substitute Eoghan Buckley also got in on the act with a point to seal an excellent night’s work. There was a nice touch to the post-match proceedings as well. Winning captain Aidan Walsh in his victory speech dedicated the trophy to Rory O’Connor, a Cork panellist who died tragically in a road accident in early February.

Scorers for Cork: B O’Driscoll 1-6 (0-2 ‘45s, 0-1f); M Collins 0-7 (5f); D Óg Hodnett 1-4; C Sheehan 0-3; J Wall 0-2; M Ó’Laoire, E Buckley 0-1 each.

Scorers for Kerry: J O’Donoghue 0-3 (2f); P Geaney 0-2 (2f); D Casey, BJ Walsh, K Hurley 0-1 each.

CORK: S Mellet; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall; M O’Leary, A Walsh; C Sheehan, M Collins, J O’Rourke; B O’Driscoll, D Óg Hodnett P Honohan. Subs: D O’Donovan for Cronin (inj) (40), E Buckley for O’Driscoll (49), S Beston for Honohan (52), B Coughlan for Sheehan (54), D Nation for Walsh (55).

KERRY: B Kelly; P Crowley, M Griffin, D O’Leary; J Sherwood, B Shanahan, J Lyne; T Ladden, E Walsh; J O’Donoghue, BJ Keane, A Fitzgerald; S O’Brien, P Geaney, D Casey.

Subs: J Walsh for Lyne (blood) (15), Lyne for J Walsh (26), BJ Walsh for Fitzgerald (28), J Walsh for E Walsh (28), P Kilkenny for Shanahan (h-t), K Hurley for O’Brien (34), C Moriarty for Sherwood (51).

Referee: Derek O’Mahony (Tipperary)


Everything went right for us, says delighted Cork boss Cleary

By Denis Hurley for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, April 07, 2011

FEW people heading to Páirc Uí Rinn last night would have been expecting a new record winning margin for a Munster U21 football final, least of all Cork manager John Cleary. The Castlehaven man admitted afterwards he was surprised at the outcome of the game, acknowledging that it had been a night when everything went right for his team. “We thought it was going to be a 50-50 game,” he said. “Luckily we hit the ground running and got two goals in the first eight minutes, that set them back and, in fairness, everything we hit tonight went over the bar. “Our passing and movement were first class, everything was up to the mark, it was all we could have hoped for, just one of those nights.”

The pair of early goals, from deadly forwards Barry O’Driscoll and Donal Óg Hodnett, who combined for 2-10 between them, were key in the eyes of Cleary. “They put the daylight between ourselves and Kerry,” he agreed. “Kerry had a gameplan of bringing a fella out and they didn’t know then whether or not that was going to work and they changed that around and it put doubts in their mind. “With their kick-outs then they were trying to swing it out to the wing and they didn’t know what they were doing with the kickouts after a while, I think the two goals put the cushion on it and we drove on after that.”

In 2009, Cork began their campaign with a resounding win over Kerry but were unable to replicate that level of performance again, despite going on to win the All-Ireland. With an All-Ireland semi-final coming up against Galway, Cleary knows that it will be vital to maintain high standards. “Yeah, it’s really important,” he said. “Galway were very impressive by all accounts in Connacht and it’s only nine days away so we’ll have to get back to brass tacks now. “No team that comes out of a province at this grade will be a pushover, two years ago and in 2007 we won the All-Irelands, we only won the semi-finals and finals by a point every time, so that’s the level of competition that you’re up against.”

Kerry manager John Kennedy was dignified after admitting he couldn’t put his finger on why his side had lost by so much, but he didn’t wish to detract from Cork. “We were playing second fiddle right from the very start, we were trying to ensure Cork didn’t get a good start but they did, and I think that to say anything else would be to take away from Cork’s performance, they’ll take a lot of stopping.”


Rebels run riot to register record rout

From the Irish Independent newspaper

Cork 2-24 Kerry 0-8

Munster U-21 FC Final

Thursday April 07 2011

Cork set a new record margin for a win in the final at Páirc Uí Rinn last night. A close game had been expected, but the Rebels were far sharper and cohesive and the outcome was decided long before the end. From the off Cork took the upper hand, two goals in the space of a minute setting them on their way. With the hosts two points to the good with just seven minutes gone, corner-back Alan Cronin got forward well after linking with Ciarán Sheehan and while his handpass couldn’t find Barry O’Driscoll, the attacker managed to steer the loose ball home despite being surrounded by a phalanx of Kerry defenders. Then, Paul Honohan set Donal Óg Hodnett away; although Brian Kelly in the visitors’ goal kept out his initial shot, Hodnett stabbed the rebound in.

At the other end, Kerry could not get going, the impressive performances of Micheál Ó Laoire and Aidan Walsh in the Cork midfield doing much to prevent them making any headway. Such was the hosts’ dominance that Kerry had made two substitutions before the interval. By that stage, Cork had extended their lead to 2-13 to 0-3. Although Sheehan and Mark Collins got the first two points of the second half, Kerry did briefly threaten a revival as they scored four in a row, Daithí Casey and Paul Geaney on target. Barry John Walsh, one of the first-half subs, was unlucky to see his shot rattle back off the bar. The tempo had dropped, but once Cork rediscovered their earlier rhythm, the early pattern of the game returned, with Kerry simply unable to live with their opponents.

Collins continued to slot over frees and was unlucky with a goal chance after a beautiful link-up with Hodnett; the latter sent over a lovely point from a tight angle and substitute Eoin Buckley, just on for O’Driscoll, got in on the act with a fine score. Kerry did have a late chance to save some face when Geaney was fouled for a penalty, but the corner-forward put his shot wide.

Scorers — Cork: B O’Driscoll 1-6 (0-2 ’45’, 1f), M Collins 0-7 (5f), D Óg Hodnett 1-4, C Sheehan 0-3, J Wall 0-2, M Ó Laoire, E Buckley 0-1 each. Kerry: J O’Donoghue 0-3 (2f), P Geaney 0-2, BJ Walsh, K Hurley, D Casey 0-1 each.

CORK — S Mellett; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall; M Ó Laoire, A Walsh; C Sheehan, M Collins, J O’Rourke; B O’Driscoll, D Óg Hodnett, P Honohan. Subs: D O’Donovan for Cronin (40), E Buckley for O’Driscoll (49), S Beston for Honohan (52), B Coughlan for Sheehan (54), D Nation for Walsh (56).

KERRY — B Kelly; P Crowley, M Griffin, D O’Leary; J Sherwood, B Shanahan, J Lyne; T Ladden, E Walsh; J O’Donoghue, BJ Keane, A Fitzgerald; S O’Brien, P Geaney, D Casey. Subs: J Walsh for Lyne (15-26), J Walsh for E Walsh (27), BJ Walsh for Fitzgerald (27), P Kilkenny for Shanahan (h-t), C Moriarty for Sherwood (50), K Hurley for O’Brien (34).

Ref — D O’Mahony (Tipperary)


Cork catch 22 with 22-point victory

From the Irish Times newspaper

GAA: U-21 FOOTBALL MUNSTER FINAL: Cork 2-24 Kerry 0-8

CORK SWEPT to their 22nd title with a record 22-point win over their fierce rivals at Páirc Uí Rinn last night. The home side had the game wrapped up at the interval, when they led, 2-13 to 0-3 – both goals coming inside seven minutes. Barry O’Driscoll claimed the opener following a sweeping move involving Alan Cronin and Ciarán Sheehan and a quick free by Paul Honohan sent Donal Óg Hodnett in for the second in a blistering 60-second spell. Cork’s forwards were in sparkling form and kicked eight points without response in the second quarter after Paul Geaney landed a Kerry free.

Midfielders Aidan Walsh and Micheál Ó Laoire continued to dominate on the resumption, though Kerry substitute Barry John Walsh rattled the Cork crossbar after 37 minutes. A James O’Donoghue free was Kerry’s fourth on the spin, but Cork responded with another eight points, O’Driscoll and Mark Collins unerring in their free-taking before Walsh completed the visitors’ tally. Kerry’s miserable night was reflected in Geaney sending a last-minute penalty left and wide of the posts after he was fouled by Liam Jennings.

CORK: S Mellet; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall (0-2); M Ó Laoire (0-1), A Walsh; C Sheehan (0-3), M Collins (0-7, five frees), J ORourke; B ODriscoll (1-6, 0-1 free, one 45), D Óg Hodnett (1-4), P Honohan. Subs: D O’Donovan for Cronin (inj, 40 mins), E Buckley (0-1) for O’Driscoll (48 mins), S Beston for Honohan (51 mins), B Coughlan for Sheehan (54 mins), D Nation for Walsh (55 mins)

KERRY: B Kelly; P Crowley, M Griffin, D OLeary; J Sherwood, B Shanahan, J Lyne; T Ladden, E Walsh; J ODonoghue (0-3, two frees), BJ Keane, A Fitzgerald; S OBrien, D Casey (0-1), P Geaney (0-2 frees). Subs: J Walsh for E Walsh, BJ Walsh (0-1) for Fitzgerald (27 mins), P Kilkenny for Shanahan (half-time), K Hurley (0-1) for O’Brien (34 mins), C Moriarty for Sherwood (50 mins)

Referee : D OMahony (Tipperary)


From the web site

Cork’s U21s produced a remarkable performance to beat rivals Kerry by 22 points at Páirc Uí Rinn on Wednesday night. The Rebels led by 2-13 to 0-3 at half-time thanks to first half goals by Barry O’Driscoll and Donal Óg Hodnett. Kerry briefly provided resistance after the break, but with Mark Collins (0-8) and O’Driscoll (1-6) in brilliant form, the Leesiders were unstoppable.

O’Driscoll was named Cadbury Hero of the match, while the trophy was presented to the winning captain and Young Footballer of the Year, Aidan Walsh. Cork will play Galway in the All-Ireland semi-final on Saturday, April 16.

Next Round – the winners play the Connacht Champions (Galway) on Saturday April 16th in the All-Ireland Semi-Final

List of Munster Under 21 Football Final Winning teams

Click here to view the list of Munster Under 21 Football winning teams since 1962

Team News

The Kerry U21 team to play Cork on Wednesday 6th April at 7.30pm in Pairc Uí Rinn is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly (Legion )

2. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)3. Mark Griffin (St. Michaels Foilmore) Captain 4. David O’Leary (Dr. Crokes)

5. Jack Sherwood (Firies ) 6. Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks )7. Jonathan Lyne ( Legion )

8.Thomas Ladden ( Keel ) 9. Edmund Walsh ( Knocknagoshel )

10. James O’Donoghue ( Legion ) 11. Barry John Keane ( Kerins O’Rahillys ) 12. Alan Fitzgerald ( Castlegregory )

13. Stephen O’Brien ( Kenmare ) 14. Daithí Casey ( Dr. Crokes ) 15. Paul Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Subs;16. Shane O’Leary (Currow) 17.Pa Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 18. Colm Moriarty (Daingean Uí Chúis)

19. James Walsh ( Knocknagoshel ) 20.Kieran Hurley ( St Pats Blennerville ) 21. Colm O’Shea ( Firies )

22. Niall O’Shea ( Dromid Pearses ) 23. James Coffey ( Beaufort ) 24. Barry John Walsh ( Kerins O’Rahillys )

There are three changes to the team: David O’Leary replaces Pa Kilkenny, Thomas Ladden replaces Colm Moriarty and Barry John Keane replaces his club mate Barry John Walsh who is injured.

Manager: John Kennedy (Asdee); Selectors: Liam Brosnan (Currow), Tom Prendergast (Keel)

CORK : S Mellet; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall; M O’Laoire, A Walsh; C Sheehan, M Collins, J O’Rourke; D Óg Hodnett, B O’Driscoll, P Honohan.

For the Record

Cork Kerry
2011 Team Management John Cleary
(Castlehaven – Coach),
Mick O’Loughlin (Bishopstown)
Donal McCarthy
(Valley Rovers)
Michael Linehan (Killavullen)
Brian Herlihy (Dohenys)
John Kennedy
(Bainisteoir –Asdee)
Tom Prendergast (Keel)
Liam Brosnan (Currow)
2011 Team Captain Aidan Walsh (Kanturk) Mark Griffin
(St Michaels Foilmore)
Under 21 players on their respective Senior Football Panels Aidan Walsh and
Ciaran Sheehan
Jonathan Lyne  (Legion),  Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers), Paul Geaney (An Daingean), Daithí Casey (Dr. Crokes), Barry John Walsh and Barry John Keane (both Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
2010 Championship Performance Lost Munster Quarter-Final to Kerry by 0-19 to 1-8 Defeated Cork by 0-19 to 1-8 in the Quarter-Final and Waterford by 1-18 to 0-3 in the Semi-Final. Kerry lost to Tipperary by 1-7 to 1-6 in the Munster Final.
Number of Munster Under 21 Football titles 21 25
Last Munster Under 21 Football Title 2009 2008
Munster Under 21 Football Championship Record since 2000 Played – 25
Won – 19
Lost – 5
Drawn – 1
Played – 24
Won – 13
Lost – 9
Drawn – 2
Last meeting in the Munster Under 21 Football Championship 2010 Munster Quarter-Final – March 13th at Austin Stack Park Tralee – Kerry 0-19 Cork 1-8 – Barry John Keane scored 7 points, 5 from play while Barry John Walsh and Paul Geaney added 4 points each to ensure a comprehensive Kerry win
What happened 3 years ago? 

2008 Munster Minor Football Championship Round-up

Cork defeated Limerick in the Quarter-Final before losing out to Kerry by 0-13 to 0-11 in the Semi-Final. Defeated Clare and Cork to qualify for the Munster Final. Won the Munster Final after a replay victory over Tipperary.

2011 Munster Under 21 Football Championship Matches played to date

Tipperary 1-14 Waterford 1-4 – March 9th @ Fraher Field Dungarvan (Munster Quarter-Final)

Tipperary: Jack English; Mark Hanly, Jonathan Ryan, Robbie Kiely; Donagh Leahy, Eddie Kenrick, John O’Callaghan (0-1); Peter Acheson (0-1), Donagh Heffernan; Billy Hewitt, Thomas Hanly, Aldo Matassa (0-1); Conor Sweeney (1-6, 0-5 frees), David Butler (0-3), David McGrath (0-1)
Subs: Michael O’Dwyer for Thomas Hanly (38th minute), Gavin Ryan for Donagh Leahy (50th minute), Paul McEvoy (0-1) for Billy Hewitt (54th minute). Liam Boland for David Butler (55th minute), Kevin O’Riordan for Peter Acheson (57th minute)

Waterford: Kevin Williams; Mark Cummins, Shane O’Cuirrin, Mark Wyse; Thomas Walsh, David Phelan (1-0), Jamie Kirwan; Ronan Cahill (Captain), Niall Walsh (0-1); Conor Buckley, Adam Brophy, James Coade; David Grey (0-1), Tadhg Houlihan, Paul Whyte (0-2, 0-1 free, 0-1 45)
Sub: Eoin Walsh for James Coade (HT), Paul Drohan for Conor Buckley (49th minute), Ian Power for Paul Whyte (52nd minute), Sean Burke for Thomas Walsh (56th minute)

Referee: Padraig O’Sullivan (Kerry)

Limerick 2-11 Clare 0-15 (AET) – March 9th @ Pairc na Gael Limerick (Munster Quarter-Final)

Limerick: Brian Scanlon; Paul Martin, Mike Sheehan, Ray O’Flaherty; Patrick Sheehan, Paul Hannon, Padraig Quinn; Tom McCarthy, Padraig Horan; Seamus O’Carroll, James Kelly, Donagh Kelly (Captain); Eoghan O’Connor, Jack Donovan, Patrick O’Donnell.
Subs: Barry Ryan for Horan (39); Padraig Scanlon for O’Donnell (45); Aidan O’Sullivan for Quinn (inj. 53); Eoin Cahill for Ryan (inj. 55); Jamie Richardson for D Kelly (59).
Extra-time: Paudie O’Connor (additional player 60); Padraig Quinn for Martin (79).

Clare: Jamie Joyce; Joe Blake, Sean Brennan, Sean Cormican; Stephan Collins, Liam Markham, Stephan Tierney; Conor Ryan, Shane Brennan; Podge Collins, Michael Malone, Conor Cormican; Podge McMahon (Captain), Cathal McInerney, Killian Malone.
Subs: Darren O’Neill for Conor Cormican (30); Joe Curtin for Michael Malone (45).

Referee: Conor Lane (Cork)

Cork 0-21 Tipperary 2-3 – March 23rd @ Pairc Ui Rinn (Munster Semi-Final)

CORK : John Mellet; Liam Jennings, Damien Cahalane, Alan Cronin; Peter Daly, Tom Clancy (Clonakilty), Jamie Wall; Michael Ó Laoire (0-3), Aidan Walsh (capt); Ciaran Sheehan (0-4), Mark Collins (0-8, 0-5 frees), John O’Rourke; Donal Óg Hodnett, Barry O’Driscoll (0-4, one free), Paul Honohan (0-2).
Subs : Brian Coughlan for O’Driscoll (55 mins), Eoin Buckley for Hodnett and David Nation for Walsh (57 mins), Thomas Clancy (Fermoy) for Wall and Danny O’Donovan for Cronin (59 mins).

Tipperary : Jack English; Mark Hanly, Jonathan Ryan, Robbie Kiely; Donagh Leahy (1-0), Eddie Kenrick, John O’Callaghan;  Donagh Heffernan, Peter Acheson (0-1); Billy Hewitt, Alan Moloney, Aldo Matassa; Conor Sweeney (0-1, free), David Butler, David McGrath (1-0).
Subs: Gavin Ryan for Kenrick (17 mins), Michael O’Dwyer for Hewitt (half-time), Liam Boland (0-1) for Butler (44 mins), Thomas Hanly for Matassa (45 mins), Graham Quinn for M Hanly (55 mins)

Referee: Maurice Condon (Waterford)

Kerry 3-15 Limerick 2-6 – March 23rd @ Pairc na Gael Limerick (Munster Semi-Final)

Kerry: Brian Kelly; Peter Crowley, Mark Griffin, Pa Kilkenny; Jack Sherwood, Barry Shanahan, Jonathan Lyne; Colm Moriarty, Edmund Walsh; James O’Donoghue, Barry John Walsh, Alan Fitzgerald; Steven O’Brien, Daithi Casey, Paul Greaney. Subs: James Walsh for Moriarty (41), Niall O’Shea for Casey (51)

Limerick: Brian Scanlon; Paul Martin, Mike Sheehan, Ray O’Flaherty; Patrick Sheehan, Paul Hannon, Padraig Quinn; Tom McCarthy, Padraig Horan; Padraig Scanlon, James Kelly, Donagh Kelly; Patrick O’Donnell, Jack Donovan, Eoghan O’Connor

Referee: Rory Hickey (Clare)

2011 Top Scorers – Munster Under 21 Football Championship

Eoghan O’Connor (Limerick) – 1-10, 1-8 frees
Conor Sweeney (Tipperary) – 1-7, 0-6 frees
Paul Geaney (Kerry) – 2-3, 0-2 frees
Mark Collins (Cork) – 0-8, 0-5 frees
James O’Donoghue (Kerry) – 1-4
Cathal McInerney (Clare) – 0-6, 0-3 frees
Barry John Walsh (Kerry) – 0-5
Killian Malone (Clare) – 0-5, 0-3 frees
James Kelly (Limerick) – 1-2
Jack Donovan (Limerick) – 1-2
Barry O’Driscoll (Cork) – 0-4, 0-1 free
Ciaran Sheehan (Cork) – 0-4
Donagh Kelly (Limerick) – 1-1
David McGrath (Tipperary) – 1-1
Michael Ó Laoire (Cork) – 0-3
Donagh Leahy (Tipperary) – 1-0
David Phelan (Waterford) – 1-0
David Butler (Tipperary) – 0-3
Paul Whyte (Waterford) – 0-2, 0-1 free, 0-1 45
Podge McMahon (Clare) – 0-2, 0-1 free
Peter Acheson (Tipperary) – 0-2
Paul Honohan (Cork) – 0-2

John O’Callaghan (Tipperary), Aldo Matassa (Tipperary),  Paul McEvoy (Tipperary), Niall Walsh (Waterford), David Grey (Waterford), Seamus O’Carroll (Limerick), Podge Collins (Clare), Daniel Gallery (Clare), Tom McCarthy (Limerick), Edmund Walsh (Kerry), Alan Fitzgerald (Kerry), Liam Boland (Tipperary) – 0-1 each

UCC – 2011 Sigerson Cup Champions

The Football panel for the University College Cork (the 2011 Sigerson Cup champions) included
12 Under 21 Footballers who will be part of the Cork and Kerry in the Munster Final.

Cork – Barry O’Driscoll, Mark Collins, Shane Beston, Brian Coughlan, Darren Farry, Eoin Buckley, David Nation, Liam Jennings and Paul Honohan

Kerry – Peter Crowley, Daithí Casey and Stephen O’Brien

Munster Under 21 Football Championship – Cork vs. Kerry Past Meetings

Date Stage Venue Result
1962/12/09 Final Kenmare Kerry 2-7 Cork 1-4
1963/03/22 Final Clonakilty Cork 2-3 Kerry 1-4
1964/06/19 Semi-Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Kerry 2-7 Cork 1-1
1966/08/18 Final Cork Athletic Grounds Kerry 3-8 Cork 0-14
1969/08/17 Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Cork 1-14 Kerry 1-11
1970/07/15 Semi-Final Cork Athletic Grounds Cork 2-13 Kerry 0-10
1971/07/08 Semi-Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Cork 3-6 Kerry 1-12
1971/08/04 Semi-Final Replay Cork Athletic Grounds Cork 3-9 Kerry 2-3
1972/08/22 Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Kerry 1-11 Cork 2-7
1973/08/01 Final Skibbereen Kerry 2-12 Cork 1-12
1974/08/03 Final Cahirciveen Cork 3-5 Kerry 1-10
1975/05/08 Quarter-Final Mardyke Kerry 1-13 Cork 1-7
1976/07/28 Final Dingle Kerry 2-16 Cork 1-6
1977/08/09 Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Kerry 2-8 Cork 0-8
1978/08/16 Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Kerry 0-14 Cork 0-8
1979/04/18 Quarter-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork 4-11 Kerry 2-9
1981/08/12 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Cork 0-11 Kerry 0-5
1982/08/05 Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork 2-12 Kerry 0-4
1983/09/07 Final Castleisland Kerry 1-10 Cork 0-12
1986/04/16 Quarter-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork 0-11 Kerry 0-6
1988/04/06 Semi-Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 0-12 Cork 0-11
1989/03/30 Quarter-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork 2-11 Kerry 0-9
1990/04/11 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 2-9 Cork 0-9
1991/04/11 Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Kerry 1-9 Cork 0-10
1992/07/31 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 3-12 Cork 1-8
1993/07/08 Semi-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Kerry 2-8 Cork 1-6
1994/04/27 Quarter-Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Cork 2-12 Kerry 1-10
1996/04/24 Semi-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Kerry 2-14 Cork 0-8
1997/04/16 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 2-11 Cork 3-8
1997/04/24 Final Replay Pairc Ui Rinn Kerry 0-12 Cork 1-7
1999/04/14 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 1-10 Cork 0-7
2001/03/31 Semi-Final Pairc Uí Chaoimh Cork 1-11 Kerry 1-10
2004/08/18 Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Cork 0-13 Kerry 0-12
2005/03/12 Quarter-Final Pairc Ui Rinn Cork 2-13 Kerry 1-14
2006/03/11 Quarter-Final Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney Cork 0-10 Kerry 0-10
2006/03/18 Quarter-Final Replay Pairc Ui Rinn Cork 1-14 Kerry 2-8
2008/03/22 Semi-Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 0-15 Cork 0-10
2009/03/14 Quarter-Final Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork 1-17 Kerry 0-9
2010/03/13 Quarter-Final Austin Stack Park Tralee Kerry 0-19 Cork 1-8


Munster Under 21 Football Championship
Cork vs. Kerry Past Meetings Breakdown

Overall Record Matches at Cork venue Matches at Kerry venue Finals Only Matches played in April Matches played at Pairc Ui Rinn
Played 39 19 20 20 10 3
Cork 16 11 5 6 3 2
Kerry 20 8 12 13 6 1
Drawn 3 0 3 1 1 0


–          Cork have won the last 4 matches against Kerry played at a Cork venue.

–          The last meeting of Cork and Kerry in a Munster Under 21 Football Final was in 2004 when Cork defeated Kerry by 0-13 to 0-12 at Austin Stack Park Tralee

–          Kerry’s last Munster Under 21 Football Final victory over Cork came in the 1997 replay, winning by 0-12 to 1-7 at Pairc Ui Rinn

–          The highest score by an individual team in a Cork vs. Kerry Under 21 Football match was in 1979 when Cork defeated Kerry by 4-11 to 2-9

The highest margin of victory in a Cork vs. Kerry Under 21 Football match came in the 1982 final when Cork defeated Kerry by 2-12 to 0-4 at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.


–          Munster Under 21 Football Finals

1962                       @ Kenmare                                        Kerry                     2-7          Cork                       1-4

1963                       @ Clonakilty                                       Cork                       2-3          Kerry                     1-4

1964                       @ Kilmallock                                       Kerry                     0-15       Tipperary             1-2

1965                       @ Castletownroche                        Cork                       2-14       Tipperary             1-6

1966                       @ Cork Ath. Grounds                     Kerry                     3-8          Cork                       0-14

1967                       @ Listowel                                          Kerry                     2-12       Clare                      1-7

1968                       @ Kilrush                                             Kerry                     5-7          Clare                      2-9

1969                       @ Killarney                                         Cork                       1-14       Kerry                     1-11

1970                       @ Buttevant                                      Cork                       5-12       Clare                      1-7

1971                       @ Fermoy                                           Cork                       1-10       Waterford           2-5

1972                       @ Killarney                                         Kerry                     1-11       Cork                       2-7

1973                       @ Skibbereen                                   Kerry                     2-12       Cork                       1-12
1974                       @ Cahirciveen                                   Cork                       3-5          Kerry                     1-10

1975                       @ Killorglin                                          Kerry                     0-17       Waterford           1-5

1976                       @ Dingle                                              Kerry                     2-16       Cork                       1-6

1977                       @ Pairc Ui Chaoimh                         Kerry                     2-8          Cork                       0-8

1978                       @ Killarney                                         Kerry                     0-14       Cork                       0-9

1979                       @ Limerick                                          Cork                       1-11       Clare                      1-9

1980                       @ Bruff                                                                Cork                       3-15       Clare                      0-4

1981                       @ Tralee                                              Cork                       0-11       Kerry                     0-5

1982                       @ Pairc Ui Chaoimh                         Cork                       2-12       Kerry                     0-4

1983                       @ Castleisland                                   Kerry                     1-10       Cork                       0-12

1984                       @ Askeaton                                       Cork                       1-18       Limerick               0-4

1985                       @ Tralee                                              Cork                       1-18       Clare                      1-7

1986                       @ Clonmel                                          Cork                       0-8          Tipperary             0-7

1987                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     0-7          Tipperary             0-7          Draw

@ Clonmel                                          Kerry                     0-15       Tipperary             1-11       Replay

1988                       @ Cooraclare                                     Kerry                     0-14       Clare                      2-6

1989                       @ Limerick                                          Cork                       3-15       Clare                      1-7

1990                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     2-9          Cork                       0-9

1991                       @ P. Ui Chaoimh                              Kerry                     1-8          Cork                       0-10

1992                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     3-12       Cork                       1-8

1993                       @ Waterford                                     Kerry                     1-21       Waterford           3-5

1994                       @ Dungarvan                                     Cork                       2-11       Waterford           0-4

1995                       @ Killarney                                         Kerry                     1-21       Waterford           2-5

1996                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     3-14       Clare                      0-6

1997                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     2-11       Cork                       3-8          Draw

@ Pairc Ui Rinn                                  Kerry                     0-12       Cork                       1-7          Replay

1998                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     3-10       Tipperary             1-11

1999                       @ Tralee                                              Kerry                     1-10       Cork                       0-7

2000                       @ Dungarvan                                     Limerick               0-7          Waterford           0-4

2001                       @ Kilmallock                                       Cork                       1-12       Limerick               0-8

2002                       @ Ennis                                                Kerry                     3-15       Clare                      2-11

2003                       @ Waterford                                     Waterford           2-8          Kerry                     1-9

2004                       @ Tralee                                              Cork                       0-13       Kerry                     0-12

2005                       @ Limerick                                          Cork                       1-14       Limerick               1-11

2006                       @ Pairc Ui Rinn                                  Cork                       4-14       Waterford           1-6

2007                       @ Limerick                                          Cork                       3-19       Tipperary             3-12

2008                       @ Ardfinnan                                      Kerry                     0-15       Tipperary             2-7

2009                       @ Thurles                                            Cork                       1-9          Tipperary             2-5

2010                       @ Tralee                                              Tipperary             1-7          Kerry                     1-6


  • Kerry (25)

1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2008

  • Cork (21)

1963, 1965, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1994,

2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

  • Waterford (1)  – 2003 Limerick (1) – 2000 Tipperary (1) – 2010



  • At the Munster Council Convention of 1961 held in Tralee it was suggested that an Under 21competition be inaugurated.
  • Convention of 1962, held in Thurles, decided to inaugurate an Under 21 Football competition
  • The first game in this new competition was played on the 22/7/1962 with Cork defeating Waterford in a quarter final clash at the Cork Athletic Grounds.   The second quarter final, Limerick v Kerry, did not take place as Limerick were unable to field a team because of Club commitments.   In the semi-finals Cork defeated Tipperary while Kerry overcame the Clare challenge.   The final was played in Kenmare on the 9th. of December with victory going to the Kerry side on a 2-7 to 1-4 scoreline.   Both teams who played in the inaugural Munster Under 21 Football Final in 1962 will be honoured at the 2011 Munster Under 21 Football Final – see original match report below.
  • Cork were victorious in the 1963 competition and the winning team was – Ray Cawley, Dermot Kehilly, John McGrath, Des Nangle, Donal Buckley, Denis Coughlan, Gus Harrington, Brendan Coughlan, Paul O’Sullivan, Mick Coughlan, Ned Coughlan, Dan Haredy, J.J. Murphy, Tim F. Hayes, Flor Hayes. Current Kerry Under 21 Football Selector Tom Prendergast was a member of the 1963 Kerry Under 21 Football team which lost to Cork in the final.
  • Kerry were winners in 1964 and they went on to defeat Galway and Laois and so capture the first All-Ireland Title in this grade.
  • Kerry and Cork have dominated this competition and only once in the history of the championship were one or both counties not involved in the final.   That was in 2000 when Limerick played Waterford in the Final in Dungarvan with Limerick lifting the crown for the first and only time on a 0-7 to 0-4 scoreline. The winning Limerick Team was Mike Keogh, Mark O’Riordan, Pat Fitzgerald, Brian Geary, Conor Mullane, Stephen Lucey, Tommy Stack. Jason Stokes, John Galvin (Captain), Pat Aherne, Timmy Carroll, Declan Brouder, Conor Fitzgerald, Brian Begley, Colm Hickey.
  • Waterford lifted the title for the only time in 2003 when they overcame Cork in the semi-final and Kerry in the final on a 2-8 to 1-9 scoreline.   The victorious Waterford team was – David Hickey, Michael Crotty, Ger Hayes, John O’Reilly, Niall Hennessy (Captain), Edmond Rockett, John Hurney, Sean Dempsey, Michael Walsh, Liam Ó Lonáin, Mark Power, Tony Whelan, Bob Costello, Shane Walsh, Billy Harty
  • Tipperary, who suffered defeat in 9 finals, recorded their first Munster Under 21 Football success when they overcame Kerry 1-7 to 1-6 in Tralee in 2010.   The victorious Tipperary team was – Kieran Kenrick, Robbie Kiely, Ciaran McDonald (Captain), Donal Lynch, Padraig O’Dwyer, John Coghlan, Dara Dwyer, Alan Moloney, Peter Acheson, Sean Carey, Bernard O’Brien, Aldo Matassa, Conor Sweeney, Brian O’Meara, Michael O’Dwyer
  • For the record Cork have appeared in 35 finals: Kerry in 33 finals: Tipperary in 10 finals: Clare in 10 finals: Waterford in 8 finals and Limerick in 4 finals
  • Only 2 Finals have been drawn.   The 1987 final between Kerry and Tipperary played in Tralee finished level, 0-7 each and in the replay in Clonmel victory went to Kerry on a 0-15 to 1-11 scoreline.   The 1997 final between Cork and Kerry also finished all square, Kerry 2-11 Cork 3-8, in Tralee with victory going to the Kerry side in the replay at Pairc Ui Rinn on a 0-12 to 1-7 scoreline
  • Present Cork Under 21 Selector Mick O’Loughlin won a Munster Under 21 Medal in 1965 losing to Kildare in the All Ireland Final
  • Present Cork Under 21 Manager John Cleary won Munster and All Ireland Under 21 Medals in 1984


  • Munster Under 21 Football Cup:

Corn na Cásca presented by the Munster Council in 1966 to commemorate the jubilee of the 1916 Rising.

All Ireland Under 21 Football Championship

In Under 21 Football All Ireland Roll of Honour Cork have won 11 Titles and Kerry have 10 Titles to their credit. Cork were All Ireland Under 21 Champions in 1970, 1971, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1994, 2007, 2009. Kerry titles were won in 1964, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2008

1962 Munster Under 21 Football Final

Kerry 2-7 Cork 1-4

Match Report from the Kerryman newspaper edition of December 15th 1962

First half goals put Kerry on high road to victory

Burke inspired Cork’s great comeback in exciting Munster under 21 final

Kerry’s football dominance over Cork continues. The latest Kingdom success was gained after sixty minutes of full-blooded football at the Fr. Breen Memorial Park, Kenmare, on Sunday when the Kerrymen outlasted their rebel county rivals and became the first holders of the newly-created Munster Under 21 competition. On a dry but wind-swept pitch a fair-sized crowd saw some very exciting, but often over-robust, football. Whilst there is no denying Kerry’s right to the honours, one must, nevertheless, give those gallant, stout-hearted, Corkmen a pat on the back for the manner in which they battled back when the odds seemed to be totally against them in the second half.

And it was into that second half that most of the thrills and mills of the game were crowded. The spectators loved every minute of this football with a Christmas spice in it, but I’m afraid that at times it became more than just seasoned with it – one is almost inclined to say it became poisoned with it. Kerry had turned over after the interval leading by 2-3 to 0-2 and when first Derry O’Shea (from a Dom O’Donnell – Rody O’Donnell move) and then the latter (free) had points in the second and eighth minutes respectively, it looked as if Cork had run out of steam.

Then just precisely when it looked like being a runaway win for the Kingdom back surged those gritty Cork boys with a wave of fiery football that had their opponents groggy and groping. In fact, were it not for goalkeeper Pete Hanley, Kenmare, Kerry’s eventual success story might never have been.

Daring saves

It was daring saves in the face of the tornado-force onslaughts of the vanquished that enabled his distressed colleagues to weather the storm and then continue their victory voyage. The Cork comeback started in the eleventh minute when, after Hanley had parried a seemingly unstoppable shot from the boot of Mitchelstown’s Ned Coughlan, in dashed corner forward Mick Archer to send the ball rasping into the net. That score brought new life to the previously floundering Rebel County men. Their football now assumed an air of urgency and dedication which had to be seen to be believed.

It was now that Mitchelstown banker Mick Burke – he had moved from full-forward to midfield towards the close of the first half started to open up. His clutching hands pulled down the ball time after time over the heads of friend and foe alike; and once in possession he was never put out of his stride. He cut holes in the Kerry defence and then smartly placed his inside colleagues. Burke’s fellow Mitchelstown player Ned Coughlan, who was now foraging for all he was worth at full-forward, came within a fraction of rounding off at least two of these Burke inspired movements. That he didn’t was due primarily to the unfaltering attention paid to him by North Kerry’s Paud O’ Donoghue who had earlier moved from centre half back to full.

Brendan Larkin further boosted Cork’s comeback hopes when in the fourteenth minute, he took a pass from Mick Archer to slam over a point.

Definite stand

The losers kept up the pressure as they weaved the ball goalwards from midfield, where Burke was now playing football that had mentors on the sideline wild with delight. In fact it was he who cut through for another point in the seventeenth minute of the half. That score cut Kerry’s lead to four points (2-5 to 1-4): sensing the obvious stress of their rivals, the losers kept hammering away in a search for the scores that would put them on top. But magnificently and all as they strove they never scored again, due mainly to the steel-shod defensive barrier set up by their rivals.

That second half was punctuated from an early stage by frequent flare-ups among rival players. These out-bursts grew in intensity as the game progressed and one waited in vain for some stern action from referee Moss Colbert, Abbeyfeale.  I couldn’t help but recall this year’s Munster senior final between the two counties. A definite stand by referee Colbert at the outset of the trouble would have halted the rule-breakers in their tracks and spared spectators having to witness such unsavoury conduct.

Having survived the full fury of the losers’ fight back Kerry came again and it was only fitting that their next score should be notched by master forward Derry O’Shea.  And what a score it was too. The Tralee John Mitchels left half-forward ran on to the ball around the half-way line and immediately sprinted off on a dazzling hand-to-toe run along the left wing with Macroom’s John O’Donoghue trying to overtake him; then, quicker than it takes to tell, the Tralee speed merchant changed direction, sidestepped the lunging figure of centre half-back, Eugene O’Connor and neatly lofted the ball over the bar for a capital point.  That was in the 23rd minute.

After a further five minutes of up and down play the winners struck again, when burly Roddy O’Donnell put his namesake Dom is possession and the latter duly obliged by sending over the bar.  That was the last score of the game though the pace never slackened until the final whistle.

In the first half Cork, though playing against a very strong cross-wind, got off to a wonderful start with two beautifully taken points by Mick Burke and Paddy Barry, within eight minutes. Then the exchanges took an amazing turn which saw Kerry exert the pressure and as a result of this their forwards whipped in a point and followed with two shock goals…scores which knocked the losers off their stride and set the winners on the high road to victory.

Centre half-forward Seamus Roche pointed in the eleventh minute; then a weak kick out by goal man Cawley saw Roddy O’Donnell get the ball, pass it to Dom O’Donnell who made no mistake in cracking home a stinging goal.  The second followed promptly; Cawley stopped a tremendous shot, but before he had time to recover the forwards came thundering in and the ball was hustled into the back of the net. Towards the close of the half Cork brought Mick Burke to mid-field to partner Coughlan, switched hurler Patsy Harte centre half-forward and put midfielder Brendan Larkin on the left wing.  Whilst they failed to completely break Kerry’s grip on the game, these changes brought more punch and cohesion to the ranks of the Corkmen. Before the half time whistle Kerry added further points from Joe Driscoll and Roche to leave them ahead at this stage by 2-3 to 0-2.

Big Impression

While the standard of play was not such as to rate a top performance tag, there were several outstanding displays by performers on both sides. Pride of place here must unhesitatingly go to Kerry’s ever-alert goal-keeper, Pete Hanley.  He, it was, who stood between the losers’ forwards and certain goals on several occasion during the game. Whether in the air or on the ground the Kenmare man was eagle-eyed in his interceptions and deer-swift in his clearances.  On this form he must have made a very big impression on the Kerry selectors present.


Paud O’Donoghue, first at centre half-back and later in the full line, was the very essence of solidity.  He rarely put a foot wrong and his dashing clearances when the heat was really on in the second half were grand efforts.  He had a very stiff task on hands in this half in coping with the wiles of quick-thinking Ned Coughlan.

Joe Joe Barrett was another to turn in a wonderful performance.  Both at right full-back and later in the half line he caught and kicked with precision and assurance.  He went off injured in the second half but later returned to finish in a blaze of glory.  Half-backs Pat Aherne and, more especially, Campman Joe Driscoll also had their moments of grandeur. Midfielder Denis O’Sullivan, though never really outstanding, put in some Trojan work and set his forwards attaching with his quick breaks from the centre spot. The fact that the winners’ attack was composed of five John Mitchels men speaks for itself. The division was always moving with smoothness and though pitted against a rock sound defence it accomplished a wealth of good work.


Derry O’Shea was the mastermind of the attack and his probing runs often had the opposing backs in a whirl.  He was best assisted by the two O’Donnell’s, Dom and Roddy. If for no other reason than the fact that he blue-printed his side’s great second half comeback.  Mick Burke deserves to be rated Cork’s man-of-the-match.  When he got going at midfield he had no equal and some of his defence-splitting runs deserved a better fate.

I also admired Ned Coughlan’s football very much on Sunday.  Unfortunately, too much work was entrusted to him; had he got adequate assistance in his scoring attempts in the second half he could have left a much deeper imprint on the game.  Right full-forward Mick Archer was another to frequently catch the eye in attack and he took his goal in dashing style. Hero of the losers’ defence was unquestionably Donal Kehily in the right corner.  He out sped and outmaneuvered anybody who came his way and but for him in the second half the winners must have had a much bigger bag of scores.  Here, indeed, was a consolation in defeat for the Cork mentors.  It was little wonder that trainer Jim Barry looked so pleased every time Kehily cleared the ball.  Perhaps, Jim was thinking of higher games and bigger days ahead for Donal.

Centre half-back Eugene O’Connor, a star minor of last year, was also in sparkling form and frequently turned defence into attack.  Ballincollig’s Des Nangle had his bright moments in the left corner of the defence. Substitute Frank Cogan showed us glimpses at midfield, of what he could do when brought in to replace Paddy Barry midway through the second half.  How he happened to be on the sideline so long baffles me.

Kerry-P. Hanley;  J. J. Barrett, B. Galvin, P. Kerins; P. Ahern, P. O’Donoghue, J. Driscoll, M. Fleming, D. O’Sullivan; W. Fogarty, S. Roche, D O’Shea; D. O’Donnell, R. O’Donnell, J. O’Shea.

Subs-D. Lovett for Barrett; Barrett for Lovett.

Cork-R. Cawley; D. Kehily, J. McGrath, D. Nangle, J. O’Donoghue, E. O’Connor, A. Harrinon; B. Larkin, E. Coughlan; P. Barry, D. Barrett, P. Harte; M. Archer, M. Burke, T. Monaghan.

Sub- F. Cogan for Barry

Referee – M. Colbert (Limerick)

Click here for the original match report at



April 6, 2011
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

GAA Units