Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

Allianz NHL Division 1 – Kilkenny 1-20 Waterford 2-12

April 18, 2010 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm

Kilkenny defeated Waterford by 1-20 to 2-12 in the Allianz National Hurling League Division 1 on Sunday at Nowlan Park Kilkenny.

Kilkenny end their campaign on a high note

From the Irish Times newspaper

ALLIANZ NHL DIVISION ONE Kilkenny 1-20 Waterford 2-12: KILKENNY ENDED their league campaign on a winning note, but had to endure a late rally at Nowlan Park yesterday. The home team hit the ground running, dominating the scoreboard over the opening 35 minutes. Early points from TJ Reid, Eoin Guinan (2) and Michael Grace gave them the advantage before Grace goaled Kilkenny into a commanding lead. The corner forward showed great awareness to watch a JJ Delaney sideline cut that sailed over the head of his marker, Aidan Kearney, then gave goalkeeper Adrian Power no chance with ground strike, stretching Kilkenny’s lead to seven points by the 12th minute, 1-4 to 0-0.

Waterford didn’t get off the mark until the 14th minute, John Mullane opening their account with a point. With their forwards taking control of the game Kilkenny pointed themselves further in front, stretching their lead through points from TJ Reid (2), James Fitzpatrick and Richie Hogan (free) to comfortably go 10 points up. The gap grew even greater before the interval. Eoin Larkin made it an 11-point game, but, although Mullane doubled his tally, Eoin Guinan restored Kilkenny’s handsome lead with the last puck of the half, 1-10 to 0-2. Waterford made a better start to the second half. Substitute Eoin Kelly opened his account with two quick frees, but a point apiece for brothers Richie (free) and Paddy Hogan, plus another from Reid, left the Munster men chasing that same 11-point gap with 26 minutes left to play.

They set about working off that deficit and, within 12 minutes, had closed to within six points of the leaders, Eoin Kelly grabbing a precious goal when he drilled a 56th minute penalty to the net. That goal brought some life to the game, as both sides set about picking off points. Mullane helped himself to a brace, as did Kilkenny’s Richie Hogan. Another Eoin Kelly free kept the Deise moving, but a Michael Grace point ensured Kilkenny were still that bit further in front. Waterford set the game up for an interesting finale when Kevin Moran fired a shot to the Kilkenny net three minutes from the end. That left just three points between the sides (1-18 to 2-12), but Kilkenny upped the pace, Richie Hogan and Eoin Guinan grabbing the insurance scores.

KILKENNY : PJ Ryan; M Kavanagh, N Hickey, J Tyrrell; J Tennyson, B Hogan, JJ Delaney, J Fitzpatrick (0-1) , D Lyng, TJ Reid (0-5) , E Brennan, R Hogan (0-5, four frees, one 65), M Grace (1-2), E Larkin (0-1), E Guinan (0-5, 0-1 free). Subs : J Dalton for B Hogan (36 mins), P Hogan (0-1) for JJ Delaney (36 mins).

WATERFORD : A Power; J Maher, L Lawlor, A Kearney; S Daniels, T Browne, D Prendergast; B Phelan, J Murray; T Connors, K McGrath (0-1) , E McGrath; J Mullane (0-4) , S Walsh, S Casey. Subs: E Kelly (1-5, 1-0 pen, 0-5 frees) for Murray (27 mins), K Moran (1-1) for Lawlor (36 mins), E Murphy for Casey (36 mins), S Molumphy (0-1) for Connors (36 mins), S Prendergast for Walsh (56 mins).

Referee: A Stapleton (Laois)


April 18, 2010
2:30 pm - 4:30 pm

GAA Units