Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

AIB Munster Intermediate Club Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Lismore (Waterford) 1-15 Newport (Tipperary) 1-12

November 5, 2016 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Lismore (Waterford) defeated Newport (Tipperary) by 1-15 to 1-12 in the AIB Munster Intermediate Club Hurling Championship Quarter-Final on Saturday November 5th at Fraher Field Dungarvan.

AIB Munster Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final

Lismore (Waterford) 1-15 Newport (Tipperary) 1-12

Report by Ed Donnelly (

A good start and a good finish to this game helped Lismore of Waterford qualify for the Munster Club Intermediate Hurling Final courtesy of a three point victory over a wasteful Newport side.

Click here to view photos from the game

Played in dry and cold conditions at Fraher Field Dungarvan, Lismore raced in to a 1-3 to 0-0 lead, the goal coming courtesy of Maurice Shanahan in the fourth minute (pictured below).


Newport were creating chances in this period but had hit four wides and missed two goal chances before they opened their account in the 12th minute when Martin Carey set up Eamon McCormack for a goal.

Scores were at a premium for the next ten minutes but points from Dan Shanahan, Jack Prendergast and Maurice Shanahan (free) eased Lismore in to a five point lead approaching half-time. Newport managed to score two points from play in first half stoppage time courtesy of Martin Carey and Pa Ryan and at the interval, Lismore led by 1-6 to 1-3 with Newport rueing their 7 first half wides.

Lismore edged back in to a five point lead early in the second half as Jack Prendergast and Maurice Shanahan (free) scored points but Newport were soon to get a stranglehold on the game. Slowly but surely, the Tipperary side began to eat in to the deficit. Four points on the trot from Daniel Carew (3 frees) left just two points between the teams at the end of the third quarter. Further points from Odhran Floyd, Stephen O’Connor and Peter O’Sullivan brought the sides level in the 52nd minute and with all the momentum, Newport looked set for victory.

Crucially in this encounter, Lismore never trailed and their response to Newport’s purple patch was instant. Dan Shanahan managed to escape the shackles of Conor O’Mahony long enough to put Lismore back in front in the 53rd minute followed quickly by further points from Brendan Landers and Maurice Shanahan (free) to restore their three point advantage.

The game was now at fever pitch as the tackles flew in and every ball was eagerly contested. Newport to their credit kept plugging away and points from Darragh Carroll (free) and Pa Ryan left the minimum between the teams as the game entered injury time. When news of an additional four minutes injury time were relayed to the 841 patrons in attendance, the tension was palpable.

With the game flowing from end to end, Newport were now taking chances by pushing more players forward and this additional space allowed Lismore midfielder John Prendergast to score a point from play in the 62nd minute to put the Waterford champions in to a dangerous two point lead.

With a goal now required, Newport set about creating a goal chance and it duly arrived courtesy of excellent inter-play from Pa Ryan and team captain Sean O’Brien before O’Brien’s low shot went narrowly wide. Lismore won the resultant puckout and worked the ball to Maurice Shanahan who scored a point from play with the last puck of the game to secure a hard-earned but deserved three point victory.

Lismore will now play Monaleen (Limerick) or Kilmoyley (Kerry) in the Munster Final while Newport can look back with pride on their year while regretting the 14 wides they hit in this game as compared to 5 for the winners.

Lismore: Seanie Barry; Michéal Fitzgerald, David Prendergast, Pat Hennessey; Eoin Bennett, Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast (Capt., 0-1); Stevie Barry, John Prendergast (0-2); Brendan Landers (0-1), Jack Prendergast (0-1), Maurice Shanahan (1-8, 0-7 frees); Brian Bennett, Dan Shanahan (0-2), Peter O’Keeffe
Subs: Aaron Whelan for O’Keeffe (36m), Ronan Landers for Bennett (51m), Eric O’Sullivan for Stevie Barry (57m)

Newport: Mike Flannery; Conor Hickey, Conor O’Mahony, Andrew Hickey; Odhran Floyd (0-1), Sean O’Brien (Capt.), Conor Floyd; Cian Flanagan, Stephen O’Connor (0-1); Peter O’Sullivan (0-1), Pa Ryan (0-3), Darragh Carroll (0-1 free); Eamon McCormack (1-0), Martin Carey (0-1), Daniel Carew (0-4, 0-3 frees)
Subs: Robert Houlihan for O’Connor (28-29m blood), Eoin Shinnors for Carey (HT), Aidan Moloney for Carew (56m)

Referee: Declan O’Driscoll (Limerick)



November 5, 2016
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

GAA Units