Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

2023 AIB Munster Club SFC Final – Castlehaven (Cork) 0-13 Dingle (Kerry) 0-13 (Castlehaven won 4-3 on penalties)

December 10, 2023 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Castlehaven (Cork) defeated Dingle (Kerry) 4-3 in a penalty shootout after the sides finished level 0-13 to 0-13 after extra time in the AIB Munster Club Senior Football Championship Final on Sunday December 10th at the TUS Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Match Highlights

AIB Munster Club SFC Final: Castlehaven win penalty shootout

Castlehaven 0-13 Dingle 0-13 AET

Castlehaven win 4-3 on penalties

Report By Stephen Barry at TUS Gaelic Grounds for

Centre-back Damien Cahalane was Castlehaven’s hero as he saved the decisive penalty before scoring the winner in a dramatic shoot-out.

Amid torrential wind and rain, the Cork hurler took the goalie’s gloves from Darragh Cahalane after they snatched a draw at the end of extra-time.

Damien won an SFAI National Cup at Under-16 level between the sticks alongside Ireland international John Egan with Greenwood.

He even converted the first penalty and was followed in doing so by Brian Hurley, who could hardly walk with cramp but still found the top corner, and winning captain Mark Collins before Gavin H Curran saved from Conor O’Driscoll and Rory Maguire.

Dingle had successful efforts from Mikey and Paul Geaney and Barry Dan O’Sullivan, but Dylan Geaney hit the crossbar with their second attempt before Damien Cahalane saved Tom O’Sullivan’s shot at a winner.

Cahalane slotted the sixth penalty before Mikey Geaney missed the target to give the Haven their fourth Munster title and first since 1997.

They will face Roscommon and Connacht champions St Brigid’s in an All-Ireland semi-final in January.

They had been saved by two stunning points in the final moments of stoppage time by Cathal Maguire to send this final to penalties.

Cathal Maguire point for Castlehaven in Extra Time to send the game to penalties

In a contest level seven times, the Haven never led but twice produced last-kick equalisers at the end of regulation and extra-time.

They finished the hour level at 0-10 apiece thanks to a Brian Hurley free.

From there, Paul Geaney used the gale at his back to punt Dingle back ahead within eight seconds and added another free. They almost got in for a goal too but Tom O’Sullivan’s brave palmed effort as he took a hit went over the crossbar.

That left them three ahead at the change of ends.

Collins landed a superb curler from the sideline, but it looked like the Haven would run out of time until Maguire’s game-saving intervention.

Castlehaven’s challenge appeared to be hobbled by injuries to Michael Hurley and Conor Cahalane with both forced off before half-time, although the latter returned during the third quarter.

Jamie O’Driscoll was also sent off in the 55th minute for a second yellow card after a high tackle on Tom O’Sullivan but they were restored to a full complement for extra-time.

Having won the toss, the Haven chose to go against the driving wind and rain. The difficult conditions were encapsulated when Jack Cahalane launched a shot from the 14m line at an angle and pointed skyward in celebration before it blew back and bounced back onto the 14. The same fate befell Mikey Geaney in extra-time.

Still, they were able to soak up much of what Dingle threw at them, led by Damien Cahalane, Johnny O’Regan, and Ronan Walsh, who tightly marked the Geaney dangermen.

It took nine minutes for the first score to arrive, although Paul Geaney had an early goal pulled back for a foul by Tom Leo O’Sullivan on keeper Darragh Cahalane.

They evenly shared the first six points, with Dingle’s Conor Flannery finding the range from distance and Dylan Geaney racing away from five chasers to point.

Every time, the Haven hit back with Cathal Maguire’s outside-of-the-boot mark the pick of their scores. Brian Hurley, followed everywhere by Flannery, had another waved over although it appeared to go the wrong side of the post and was vigorously protested by the Dingle fans.

A super score by Matthew Flaherty and a Paul Geaney free put two between the sides for the first time but the Haven were soon level thanks to Brian Hurley and Cathal Maguire.

They would’ve gone in level but for a foul on the ball enabling Conor Geaney to push Dingle 0-6 to 0-5 ahead.

They forged on with points from first cousins Paul and Niall Geaney to open up a three-point gap but Mark Collins and Brian Hurley, with a long-range free, pulled it back to one.

Conor Geaney then landed the score of the day, coming on the loop to float over a huge point into the breeze.

A Collins turnover created a goal chance for Brian Hurley but Curran was quick off his line to divert it around the post.

But Hurley landed that 45 and his tap-over free after another advanced turnover brought them level with two minutes to go.

By then, the Haven were down to 14 men and Conor Geaney drew a soft free to restore Dingle’s lead on the hour.

But in the last of four added minutes, Conor Cahalane was fouled and Brian Hurley slotted the equaliser to send it to another 20 minutes and beyond.

Scorers for Castlehaven: Brian Hurley 0-7 (4fs, 1 45), Cathal Maguire 0-4 (1m), Mark Collins 0-2.

Scorers for Dingle: Conor Geaney (3fs), Paul Geaney (3fs) 0-4 each, Tom O’Sullivan, Niall Geaney, Conor Flannery, Matthew Flaherty, Dylan Geaney 0-1 each.

Castlehaven: Darragh Cahalane; Johnny O’Regan, Rory Maguire, Ronan Walsh; Thomas O’Mahony, Damien Cahalane, Mark Collins; Conor Cahalane, Ciarán O’Sullivan; Jack O’Neill, Brian Hurley, Seán Browne; Cathal Maguire, Jack Cahalane, Michael Hurley.
Subs: Jamie O’Driscoll for M Hurley (24, inj), Andrew Whelton for C Cahalane (30+1, inj), C Cahalane for Browne (37), Conor O’Driscoll for O’Sullivan (52), Micheál Maguire for O’Neill (60+2), C O’Sullivan for J O’Driscoll (e-t, red card), J O’Neill for M Magiuire (e-t), Robbie Minihane for C O’Sullivan (h-t e-t), Roland Whelton for O’Neill (78), M Maguire for O’Regan (80+2).

Dingle: Gavin H Curran; Tom Leo O’Sullivan, Darragh O’Sullivan, Tom O’Sullivan; Niall Geaney, Conor Flannery, Brian O’Connor; Barry Dan O’Sullivan, Liam O’Connor; Mikey Geaney, Paul Geaney, Matthew Flaherty; Micheál Flannery, Conor Geaney, Dylan Geaney.
Subs: Conor O’Sullivan for D O’Sullivan (46), Tadhg Browne for Flannery (52), Paul Devane for C Geaney (69, inj), Brian Devane for M Flaherty (74), Breandán Kelliher for L O’Connor (80+2).

Referee: Derek O’Mahoney (Tipperary).

Match Programme

Pick up a copy of the Souvenir Match Programme for 3 euro

Ticket Information

Match Coverage

This game will be shown live on TG4.


December 10, 2023
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm


TUS Gaelic Grounds

GAA Units