A report commissioned by Munster GAA and carried out by Independent consultants Focus Consulting was presented to a meeting of the Munster Council for consideration on Wednesday November 21st 2012.
Some of the findings include –
- 58,000 underage players across the six Munster counties
- 10,537 mentors and coaches currently engaged through clubs
- €1.64 million investment by Munster G.A.A. in 2011 has generated a return on investment of €20million.
- For every euro spent on coaching by Munster G.A.A. it generates €12 return on investment.
- Over a third of clubs in the province have experienced a decline in playing numbers while 30.6% have enjoyed growth in the membership numbers.
- Over 35% of clubs have retained the same playing numbers in the past three years.
- There is over 2,400 weekly underage training sessions held across the province during the playing season generating 3183 hours of G.A.A. training per week, the equivalent of 85 additional coaches delivering coaching on a full time basis.
- 10,729 coaches and mentors have completed some level of G.A.A. Coach Education programme over the past three years in the province.
- GAA activity in schools accounts for 46,000 hours of physical activity. This is the equivalent of employing 62 P.E. teachers to deliver the equivalent exercise output.
- The value generated by G.A.A. activity in schools is estimated at €2.2 million per annum.
- The lifetime value a player receives from GAA activity, playing from under 8 to minor is valued at €3,650.
- Parents identified the health benefits derived from playing Gaelic Games and Social skills development as the two most important outcomes of their children’s involvement in the G.A.A.
- Parents value a one hour training session delivered by the GAA at €5.82 per hour.
- Parents consider €6.27 a fair amount to pay for an hour of exercise to gain the desired benefits their child receives from sporting activity.
- Parents consider €6.13 a fair amount to pay for one hours activity in a non sports pursuit.
- On average parents are receiving a €7.54 return on investment for every euro spent on GAA membership based on the benefits their children receive.
- The value parents associate with a GAA season of training and playing activity is €160 for Under 8 players, €182 for Under 12 and Under 14 players, €294 for Under 14 and Under 16 players and €245 for a minor player.
The report can be downloaded via the link below.