Official Aras Mumhan Website

Corn Uí Mhuirí Football – PS Chorca Dhuibhne vs. St Colman’s – Match Report

Saturday 16 October 2010

O Currain’s first-half goal decides it for Dingle against wasteful Colman’s

by Brendan Larkin for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Saturday, October 16, 2010

PS Chorca Dhuibhne 1-7 St Colman’s 0-5

A GOAL by Gavin O Currain midway through the first half proved the decisive score in this keenly contested Corn Uí Mhuirí first round tie at Knocknagree yesterday. It helped the Dingle school to an interval lead of 1-6 to 0-1 but they were forced to defend stoutly throughout the second period as the Fermoy side laid siege to their goal. A combination of superb defending and wayward shooting cost them dearly though, and they had only themselves to blame for not at least sharing the spoils. There was little to choose between them in the early exchanges and they were level at 0-1 apiece after five minutes. With both defences on top, scores were at a premium, and 12 minutes went by before the next score came and it was the all important goal.

Following a tremendous solo run which took him to within 13 metres of the Colman’s goal, Tomas O Ciobhain’s powerful drive cannoned off the crossbar to the unmarked Gavin O Currain and he bundled the ball over the line. That goal was a tonic for Dingle and playing the passing game superbly well with Ryan O Beaglaoi and Dara O Sé particularly prominent, they added five points without reply, two each by O Sé and Adrian O Raoil, to retire at the short whistle 1-6 to 0-1 in front. Despite being short six first team players due to club commitments this weekend, the Fermoy college came out for the second half with all guns blazing and with Darragh O’Carroll and Mike Pyne giving them a firm grip on midfield, they pinned their opponents into their own half for long periods.

While they created the chances for scores, faulty shooting and excellent defending by Cathal O Luing and Padraig O Se meant the scores were slow in coming and by the end of the third quarter Colman’s had managed only two points for all their dominance. Dingle were equally guilty of poor finishing and it took them 17 minutes to register their first score of the second half – a point by Adrian O Raoil – but they weren’t to score again for the remainder of the game as Colman’s poured forward, but again with little reward through poor finishing. Colman’s moved corner back Brian O’Donoghue further outfield and he was a constant danger driving at the Dingle defence but they never threatened a goal which might have turned the game in their favour, and their only reward for the constant pressure were two points, not enough to deny the Kerry school the spoils.

Scorers for Chorca Dhuibhne: G. O Currain 1-0; A. O Raoil 0-3 (0-1 free, 0-1 45); D. O Se 0-2; M. O Flannura, J. O Suilleabhain 0-1 each.

St. Colman’s: R. Bransfield, D. O’Carroll, G. Horan, C. Aherne, K. Morrison (free) 0-1 each.

CHORCHA DHUIBHNE: C. MacGearailt; N. O hUllachain, C. O Luing, P. I Conchuir; P. O Dubhain, P. O Sé, J. O Suilleabhain; R. O Beaglaoi, T. O Ciobhain; M. O Flannura, M. O Ciobhain, D. O Sé; A. O Raoil, G. O Currain, D. MacCarthaigh.

Subs: E. O Conchuir for N. hUllachain (35); P. Breathnach for M. O Ciobhain (35); S. O’ Cinneide for G. O Currain (55).

ST. COLMANS: A. Spillane; B. O’Donoghue, G., O’Callaghan, S. O’Leary; D. Geary, P. Roche, P. de Roiste; M. Pyne, D. O’Carroll; D. Mangan, G. Hogan, J. Mannix; R. Bransfield, K. Morrison, C. Aherne.

Subs: W. Walsh for Bransfield (35); R. Foley for C. Aherne (55).

Referee; D. O’Mahony (Tipperary)

Share post:

GAA Units