Website : http://www.gaacork.ie/
Irish: C.L.G. Corcaigh
County Ground: Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Cork is the second most successful county in the game of hurling, after Kilkenny. The team has won the All-Ireland Championship thirty times as of 2005 and has won the provincial Munster Championship on fifty occasions as of 2007. Their last provincial final was in 2006 as they were narrowly defeated by Waterford in the quarter-final in 2007.
In the early days Cork had been one of the few teams that was interested in fielding a hurling team in the very first All-Ireland championship in 1887, however, a dispute over which team should represent the county led to Cork not taking part at all. The county entered a team in 1888 and went on to win their first All-Ireland title in 1890 when Aughabullogue beat Castlebridge of Wexford.
In the early years of the competition the various county champions represented their county in the All-Ireland series, however, all this changed in 1892 when Cork contested, and won, their second All-Ireland final with a team consisting of the best players from the various clubs all over the county. Further All-Ireland titles in 1893 and 1894 meant Cork became the first team to win the coveted three-in-row. This record would stand until it was later equalled by Kilkenny and Tipperary. Between 1901 and 1905 Cork appeared in five successive All-Ireland finals, however, victory only came in the form of a two-in-a-row in 1902 and 1903. Following this Cork’s hurlers faced a barren spell of sixteen years until their next All-Ireland win in 1919. A further five All-Ireland finals were contested by Cork between 1926 and 1931 with victory coming on four occasions.
County Ground: Páirc Uí Chaoimh
- Covered Stand 9,350
- Uncovered Stand 10,200
- City End Terrace 12,000
- Blackrock End Terrace 12,000
- Wheelchair Area 30
Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a stadium located on the south side of the River Lee just at the edge of Cork city centre. It is the fourth largest stadium in Ireland (after Croke Park, Semple Stadium and the Gaelic Grounds) with a capacity of 43,500.
The stadium is home to major GAA events and has also held some major concerts like U2 and Oasis.
Páirc Uí Chaoimh opened in 1976 and was named after Pádraig Ó Caoimh, who was a native of Cork and was general secretary of the GAA between 1929-1964. The stadium features one covered stand, oneopen stand and two terraces behind each goal.
As partg of the docklands redevelopment in Cork, thee are plans to expand the stadium to cater for up to 60,000 spectators.
Parking in Cork is available in design nated car parks around the city centre and its environs. Limited parking may be available in the vicinity of the grounds on match days.
Head east on the south quays on the Blackrock/Mahon Road. Páirc Uí Chaoimh is located beside the Showgrounds
Cork is serviced by both bus and rail with frequent departures serving the major national routes.