Bord Gais All-Ireland Under 21 Hurling Championship Final – Tipperary 5-22 Galway 0-12

Tipperary defeated Galway by 5-22 to 0-12 in the Bord Gais All-Ireland Under 21 Hurling Championship Final on Saturday in Semple Stadium Thurles.

Tipp-top performance results in 25-point win 

From the web site 

Saturday, September 11, 2010
Tipperary improved what was already an excellent week as they enjoyed a massive 5-22 to 0-12 victory over Galway in the final of the Bord Gáis Energy GAA Hurling All-Ireland Under-21 Championship at Semple Stadium on Saturday evening. The Munster county were absolutely unstoppable, an early blast of goals from Brian O’Meara (29 seconds) and John O’Dwyer (three minutes) giving them a lead which was never relinquished, while Sean Carey’s goal made it 3-4 to 0-2 inside 15 minutes. Featuring five of the team which started in the senior All-Ireland win over Kilkenny last Sunday, Tipp were in excellent form, shooting only three wides in a first half that saw them end with 3-7 compared to their opponents’ nine points. 

While Galway’s tally should have been higher – they had nine first-half wides – a strong finish to half, thanks to three unanswered points from David Burke (two) and Niall Quinn, meant that they were in contention, just, at the turnaround. If they were to cause an unlikely comeback, however, then they needed a goal or two but with Tipp goalkeeper James Logue in such good form that was always going to be a tough task. Instead, it was Tipp making all of the chances at the outset of the second half, O’Dwyer unlucky not to get a second goal while only a point from Galway sub Bernard Burke interrupted five Tipp points and another goal, from Patrick Maher in the 42nd minute.  

Things got even better for the Premier County with 12 minutes left when Noel McGrath’s free from behind his own 65 deceived Galway goalkeeper Kris Finnegan and travelled all the way to the net. That made it 5-13 to 0-10 and the rest of the game was a procession for Tipp as they continued to reel off points – they would finish with 11 different scorers – while Galway’s agony was compounded when Quinn was sent off for a foul of Padraic Maher. Twenty-five points separated the sides at the end, the largest-ever winning margin in an under-21 All-Ireland final, and for the first time since 1989, Tipperary have completed the senior and under-21 double.  

TIPPERARY: J Logue; K O’Gorman, Padraic Maher, M Cahill; J Barry, B Maher (0-1 65), C Haugh; S Hennessy (0-3, 0-1f, 0-1 65), N McGrath (1-3, 1-0f); S Carey (1-3), P Murphy (0-2), Patrick Maher (1-0); J O’Dwyer (1-3), B O’Meara (1-3, 0-1f), M Heffernan (0-2).
Subs: C Coughlan for O’Gorman (44), J O’Neill (0-1) for O’Dwyer (52), A Ryan for Murphy, J Gallagher for McGrath (both 56), K Morris (0-1f) for Heffernan (56).  

GALWAY: K Finnegan; D Connolly, P Gordan, G O’Halloran; N Donoghue, D Burke, S Óg Linnane; J Coen, B Daly; J Regan, N Quinn, E Forde; R Cummins, G Burke, G Kelly.
Subs: J Cooney for Forde (23), B Burke for G Burke (half-time), J Grealish for Linnane (41), D Glennon for Cummins (44), B Flaherty for Gordan (51).  

Referee: J McGrath (Westmeath)

Premier stars round off perfect weekTipperary 5-22 Galway 0-12 

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Independent newspaper 

Monday, September 13, 2010 

THE future for hurling has assumed a blue and gold hue. Six days after their seniors sacked the kings of the game in style in Croke Park, Tipperary illustrated in Semple Stadium on Saturday night the strength of their underage production lines. In a lopsided Bord Gáis Energy All-Ireland U21HC decider, Tipperary blew Galway away in devastating fashion. 

Any suggestions that the euphoria generated from the senior triumph would distract the U21 camp were quickly dispelled. Within 30 seconds Brian O’Meara had made a trademark aerial fetch before clinically finishing to the net. In the third minute a sweeping and intricate team move was rounded off by John O’Dwyer raising the second green flag and when Sean Carey lashed a low shot to the bottom corner in the 15th minute, the contest was over. They were now 3-4 to 0-2 ahead but Galway rallied before the interval to shave the deficit to 3-7 to 0-9 but Tipperary were ruthless in the second-half and always capable of cranking up the gears.  

“You get itchy when you see the two goals going in at the start because you ask ‘where do we go from here?’,” admitted Tipperary boss Ken Hogan. “But thankfully the lads kept the consistency levels up. We came in at half time disappointed because we conceded the last three points before the break. We reiterated to the lads that it was back to basics – we had to work and work hard. The players deserve huge plaudits because they drove themselves on from the word go and they finished the job. “Our motto was ‘Team Before Me’ all along. Those guys were driven and it was a pleasure to work with them and Tommy Dunne, a tremendous coach, TJ Connolly and Willie Maher. It gave me a new life and a new sense of identity to work with these guys.”  

Tipperary’s sheer array of scoring options was dazzling. By the final whistle eleven players had helped keep the scoreboard ticking over and Tipperary’s 5-22 total ensured their entire U21 scoring return from four championship games was a phenomenal 10-93. Their senior stars made key contributions with Padraic Maher and Brendan Maher anchoring a resilient defence, Michael Cahill stifling the threat of Richie Cummins in the left corner, and both Noel McGrath and Padraic Maher growing into proceedings as the game progressed. But the most striking aspect of Tipperary’s performance was the shining displays of the less-renowned figures in their line-up. James Barry looks a great prospect at wing-back, Sean Carey’s terrific industry at half-forward yielded a 1-3 return while John O’Dwyer maintained his sublime form at corner-forward. The man-of-the-match bauble on the night went to Brian O’Meara at full-forward and the award carried plenty merit. He has not been a presence for the Tipperary seniors since their dejecting experience in Páirc Ui Chaoimh last May but at U21 level O’Meara has excelled all season. He was immense under the high ball and gave Galway full-back Paul Gordon a torrid time.  

Galway were peripheral on a night of Tipperary hurling exuberance. The contentious venue selection certainly did them no favours and the lack of supporters meant Galway competed in an intimidating atmosphere. But manager Anthony Cunningham had no qualms in admitting afterwards that they collided with an exceptional team. Even if the game had been played in familiar environs like Pearse Stadium or Kenny Park, it’s hard to envisage Galway reversing the result. Tipp played at a faster pace, brought a greater physicality to bear on the close exchanges and their skilful touches in attack generated a torrent of scores. Despite the catastrophic opening to the game, Galway did battle vigorously throughout the first-half and saw plenty of possession.  

Midfield was a profitable sector for them through the efforts of the excellent Johnny Coen and Barry Daly, and they cut open the Tipperary defence to create chances. Their shooting betrayed their approach work however as they knocked nine balls wide of the posts in the opening-half. Registering a goal would have been a serious boost as well but they found Tipperary netminder James Logue in a miserly mood. He denied Joseph Cooney, Gerard Kelly and Bernard Burke from close range, and when he was beaten in the 43rd minute Kelly’s shot slapped against the crossbar. The match transpired to be a miserable experience for Galway and despite the spirited endeavour of Bernard Burke, they collapsed in the final quarter as Tipperary outscored them 1-10 to 0-2. Galway’s misery was compounded when centre forward Niall Quinn was sent off in the 52nd minute.  

Scorers for Tipperary: J O’Dwyer (1f), B O’Meara (1f), S Carey, N McGrath (one goal free) 1-3 each; Patrick Maher 1-0; S Hennessy 0-3 (1‘65, 1f); M Heffernan, P Murphy 0-2 each; J O’Neill, K Morris (1f) 0-1 each.Scorers for Galway: J Coen, D Burke (2fs), 0-2 each; B Daly, J Regan, N Quinn, G Burke, G Kelly, J Cooney, J Grealish, B Burke, 0-1 each. 

Subs for Tipperary: C Coughlan for O’Gorman (44), J O’Neill for O’Dwyer (52), A Ryan for Murphy (52), J Gallagher for McGrath (55), K Morris for Heffernan (56). 

Subs for Galway: J Cooney for Forde (23), B Burke for G Burke (26), J Grealish for Linnan (41), D Glennon for Cummins (44), B Flaherty for Gordon (55). 

Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath)

Superb Premier tap into feel good factor 

By Colm Keys for the Irish Independent newspaper 

Monday September 13 2010 

There was one saving grace for Galway — it wasn’t a 70-minute game. Had it been, God knows what score Tipperary would have run up. As it was, the Bord Gais All-Ireland U-21 title was Tipperary’s for certain after only two minutes. Superb early goals from Brian O’Meara and John O’Dwyer, as they surfed the tidal wave of celebration from the week that was, quickly turned it into another demonstration of Tipperary’s incredible hurling arsenal. Their challenge to Kilkenny’s great dynasty is gathering serious pace. For good measure they broke the previous margin of victory for an U-21 final, surpassing Cork’s 24-point replay win over Wexford in 1970, when another double was completed. This is an exceptional U-21 team, the reason why even the most discerning Tipperary supporters are giddy at the prospect of what the next five years will bring. 

With the Liam McCarthy Cup nearby, Kilkenny’s bid for immortality thwarted and a buzz around Thurles that was palpable, there couldn’t have been a better environment to be a talented young Tipperary hurler — all the ducks were in a row.  The argument over the venue, while a valid one for Galway to press during the week, was largely irrelevant by the end.  Had they been forced out to the Aran Islands by currach in the eye of a storm, Tipp would still have prevailed, such was the sureness of their touch and power of their play. The venue, the 21,110 crowd and the feeling of celebration in the air around Semple Stadium only added to that certainty, albeit ruthlessly.  

Perhaps Galway talked themselves out of it during the week. Talk of protests, poor ticket sales and anger over the undemocratic choice of venue for a national final could subconsciously have eaten into their psyche. When Tipp struck for those early goals, a difficult task became impossible. For Galway, it became an exercise in damage limitation, an exercise they didn’t carry out too well. O’Dwyer’s delivery to O’Meara for that early goal was a clear portent of what was to come and when O’Dwyer finished himself after a slick move involving Seamus Hennessy, Noel McGrath and finally O’Meara, whose switch pass made it, the ground could have opened up for Galway’s hard-pressed defenders. It got only marginally easier. By the 15th minute Patrick Maher scythed through, as he does so well, to set up Sean Carey for the third goal and a 3-4 to 0-2 lead. Carey is perhaps Tipperary’s least celebrated attacker but he was terrific, vying with O’Meara and Seamus Hennessy for man of the match.  

Galway did manage to get some traction, chiefly through Johnnie Coen’s efforts at midfield, and with the wind they had at their backs they hit four unanswered points between the 16th and 23rd minutes that helped to arrest the slide. By the break it wasn’t looking as bad for them, a 3-7 to 0-9 deficit appearing more manageable. Galway manager Anthony Cunningham took the view that they had been competitive up to that point. “They got a great start. Maybe the first ball could have been a free out but then we missed quite a bit — nine wides,” he reflected.  

But the Tipperary management asked for ruthlessness in the second half and with wind assistance they got it, the points raining over with little or no response. What gaps at the other end Galway did find were invariably closed off by Padraic Maher, captain and full-back for the night.  Behind him James Logue made three good saves, one in the first half from Joseph Cooney, son of former Galway star Joe. With Brendan Maher hurling at his ease at centre-back, the platform was a very stable one for Tipp. They moved through the gears effortlessly, McGrath stepping it up particularly around midfield. Patrick Maher’s penetrating run behind the defence on 41 minutes provided the fourth goal and when McGrath’s free from close to his own ’65’ deceived everyone and found the Galway net on 47 minutes, the gap was a massive 18 points (5-13 to 0-10).  

Tipperary didn’t ease up there either, pressing on to score nine of the last 10 points in a massacre that left a chill in the few Galway supporters that did make their way to Thurles for the evening.  The frustration was compounded when centre-forward Niall Quinn was red-carded for catching the imperious Padraic Maher in the face with a stray elbow on 52 minutes. Galway could manage just three second-half points and were thwarted by the crossbar when Gerard Kelly’s shot from a Cooney pass rebounded off it.  
At the other end, it seemed that anything lifted in the direction of the Galway goalmouth carried over as Tipperary registered scores in the second half at a rate of one every two minutes. It was their second such double, matching the achievement in 1989, and manager Ken Hogan was rich in his praise. “It’s a testament to the guys that they were training with us on Tuesday night when they could have been in Mullinahone with their captain Eoin Kelly. We’d all love to have been with Liam Sheedy in Garrykennedy on Thursday night,” he said. “But no, the guys stayed away to train with us. The guys only had one goal and that goal was to complete the double in six days.” The choice of venue still rankled with Cunningham afterwards but he wasn’t offering it as an excuse. “I think it probably had a bit of a bearing in the last 20 minutes,” he said. “It wasn’t a level playing field and everybody knows that. It’s not nice to put young players into this environment, but I wouldn’t take away from Tipperary. They were fantastic.  “The couple of last goals for Tipperary really put the tin hat on it. It’s hard on the players. It’s okay on everybody else but these are young guys, 19-year-olds, 20 and 21-year-olds and they’re only learning their trade, but we’ll be pushing them to pick up the pieces and drive on.”  

Scorers — Tipperary: N McGrath (1-0f), S Carey, B O’Meara, J O’Dwyer 1-3 each, P Maher 1-0, S Hennessy 0-3 (0-1 ’65’, 0-1f), M Heffernan, P Murphy 0-2 each, K Morris (0-1f), J O’Neill, B Maher (0-1f) 0-1 each. Galway: D Burke (0-2f), J Coen 0-2 each, B Daly, J Regan, G Burke, G Kelly, B Burke, J Grealish, J Cooney, N Quinn 0-1 each.  

Tipperary — J Logue; K O’Gorman, P Maher, M Cahill; J Barry, B Maher, C Hough; S Hennessy, N McGrath; S Carey, P Murphy, P Maher; M Heffernan, B O’Meara, J O’Dwyer. Subs: C Coughlan for O’Gorman (43), J O’Neill for O’Dwyer (51), A Ryan for Murphy (51), J Gallagher for McGrath (55), K Morris for Heffernan (56).  

Galway — K Finnegan; D Connolly, P Gordan, G O’Halloran; N Donoghue, D Burke, S Og Linnane; J Coen, B Daly; J Regan, N Quinn, E Forde; R Cummins, G Burke, G Kelly. Subs: J Cooney for Forde, B Burke for G Burke (26), J Grealish for Linnane (40), D Glennon for Cummins (44), B O’Flaherty for Gordan (51)  

Ref — J McGrath (Westmeath)

Perfect start provides apt end to perfect weekAll Ireland U-21 Hurling Final: Tipperary 5-22, Galway 0-12

By Enda McEvoy at Semple Stadium, Thurles for the Sunday Tribune newspaper
One of those matches where the opening paragraph of the report could have been written after 10 minutes, or in this case after three minutes. By then Tipperary had two goals on the board and the All Ireland under-21 hurling silverware was on its way to joining the MacCarthy Cup in the county board’s trophy cabinet here.  A perfect end to a perfect week. 

A perfect start was the order of proceedings for the winners last night. Only 30 seconds had elapsed when Galway, trying to be too clever about clearing their lines, overdid it and yielded possession to John O’Dwyer under the New Stand. His centre was grabbed by Brian O’Meara and finished to the net without fuss. Another 90 seconds, another Tipp goal, with O’Meara returning the favour this time by playing in O’Dwyer for a simple finish following Seamus Hennessy’s swift, whipped delivery from midfield. To make it even worse for Galway, Tipperary were the team playing against the wind. 

Gradually the visitors settled, but only gradually. Their full-forward line was playing too far out the field, which was one problem. The inaccuracy of their shooting was another; by the eighth minute they had four wides racked up, ominous given that in the circumstances they needed to make every opportunity count. The biggest problem for them of all, though, was the sheer and simple fact of Tipperary’s superiority, which was emphatically underlined again after 14 minutes by way of the hosts’ third goal. The provider this time was Patrick Maher, who made progress down the centre of the Galway defence and dodged an opponent before offloading to Sean Carey, whose low shot beat Kris Finnegan. Tipperary 3-4 Galway 0-2.  

Cue, inevitably, something of a lull for Tipp, in the course of which their opponents hit four points in succession through Garry Burke, Johnnie Coen, James Regan, who had recorded three wides up to that, and Gerard Kelly. The closest they came to seriously troubling the winners arrived in the 24th minute when James Logue was required to make a sharp close-range save from Joseph Cooney. Significantly, Tipp counter-attacked immediately and O’Meara finished the move with a point. By half-time there was seven points in it – not too bad a situation for Galway, relatively speaking, given their horrific start. But the ship had sailed.  

Of that there could have been little room for argument, and even less room once Tipperary restarted with a monster, wind-backed point from the hitherto quiet Noel McGrath (cue loud whoops from the appreciative audience) and further scores from O’Meara, McGrath again and Paddy Murphy. Five of the winners’ forwards had made the scoresheet by now; Patrick Maher made it six when rampaging through for his side’s fourth goal after 41 minutes.  

Sadly for Galway, more than a quarter of the game remained. Equally sadly, Finnegan got his bearings wrong under a long-range free from McGrath, mistiming his jump and having the sliotar dip under the crossbar and into the net. They played out the last seven minutes minus the services of Niall Quinn, dismissed for a foul on Padraic Maher. Not that it mattered by then. Not that anything mattered by then, unless you were one of the slew of subs the winners introduced for their moment of reflected glory as the game dragged on towards its conclusion.  They’ll winter well in the homes of Tipperary, happy with what has been and dreaming of what may be to come.  

Tipperary J Logue; K O’Gorman, Padraic Maher, M Cahill; J Barry, B Maher (0-1), C Hough; S Hennessy (0-3, 1f, 1 65′), N McGrath (1-3, goal free); S Carey (1-3), P Maher (1-0), B O’Meara (1-3, 1f); M Heffernan (0-2), P Murphy (0-2), J O’Dwyer (1-3) Subs C Coughlan for O’Gorman, 43 mins; J O’Neill (0-1) and A Ryan for O’Dwyer and Murphy, 51 mins; J Gallagher for McGrath, 54 mins; K Morris (0-1f) for Heffernan, 55 mins  

Galway K Finnegan; D Connolly, P Gordan, G O’Halloran; N Donoghue, D Burke (0-2fs), S Óg Linnane; J Coen (0-2), B Daly (0-1); J Regan (0-1), N Quinn (0-1), E Forde; R Cummins, G Burke (0-1), G Kelly (0-1) Subs J Cooney (0-1) for Forde, 22 mins; B Burke (0-1) for G Burke, 25 mins; J Grealish (0-1) for Linnane, 41 mins; D Glennon for Cummins, 44 mins; B Flaherty for Gordan, 50 mins  

Referee J McGrath (Westmeath)


Match Tracker

As per all previous games in the Under 21 Hurling Championship, you can follow the match online via a Live Match Tracker on the Tipperary GAA Twitter and Facebook pages.  

Team News  

The Tipperary under 21 hurling team to play Galway in the All-Ireland U-21 final on Saturday evening at Semple Stadium shows 1 change in personnel from the team which defeated Antrim in the semi-final. Following the failure of John Coghlan’s personal hearing last night to change the decision to suspend him for 4 weeks arising from an incident in the semi-final, team captain, Padraic Maher moves to full back, Brendan Maher moves to centre back and Ciaran Hough (Lorrha & Dorrha) comes into the team at left half back. The team is: 

1. James Logue (Ballingarry)               
2. Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields)         
3. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)  Captain
4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)  
5. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane)
6. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)
7. Ciarán Hough (Lorrha & Dorrha)
8. Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
9. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)      
10. Seán Carey (Moyle Rovers)                      
11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)              
12. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)    
13. Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)         
14. Paddy Murphy (Nenagh Éire Óg)              
15. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)  

GALWAY: K Finnegan; D Connolly, P Gordan, G O’Halloran; N Donoghue, D Burke, S Óg Linnane; J Coen, B Daly; J Regan, N Quinn, E Forde; R Cummins, G Burke, G Kelly.

Match Preview

With the GAA Hurling All-Ireland senior title secured, Tipperary go in search of a double when they take on Galway in the Bord Gáis Energy GAA Hurling All- Ireland U-21 final in Thurles on Saturday (7.0). The game will be shown live on TG4.  

Tipperary last won the U-21 title in 1995 while Galway were last successful in 2007. Galway are seeking their 10th title while Tipperary are pursuing their ninth.  

Tipperary will be anchored by senior stars Padraic Maher, Patrick Maher, Brendan Maher, Michael Cahill, Noel McGrath, Seamus Hennessy, Michael Heffernan and Brian O’Meara while David Burke is Galway’s best-known performer.  

Tipperary last won the senior/U-21 All-Ireland double in 1989. Tipperary beat Cork and Clare to win the Munster title and then easily ousted Antrim in the All- Ireland semi-final while Galway accounted for Leinster champions, Dublin in the semi-final.  

Previous All-Ireland U-21 title wins
9 – Galway (1972-78-83-86-91-93-96-2005-2007)
8 – Tipperary (1964-67-79-80-81-85-89-95)  

Paths to the final
Tipperary 2-17 Cork 0-21 (Munster semi-final) After extra-time Tipperary 1-22 Clare 1-17 (Munster final) Tipperary 2-32 Antrim 1-7 (All-Ireland semi-final)
Galway 2-14 Dublin 1-10 (All-Ireland semi-final)  

Previous Galway-Tipperary U-21 finals
1978: Galway 3-15 Tipperary 2-8 (replay)
1978: Galway 3-5 Tipperary 2-8 (draw)
1979: Tipperary 2-12 Galway 1-9
1983: Galway 0-12 Tipperary 1-6