GAA Hurling All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Final – Kilkenny 2-17 Cork 1-13

Kilkenny defeated Cork by 2-17 to 1-13 in the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Intermediate Championship Final on Saturday at Semple Stadium Thurles.

Clinical Cleere helps classy Cats end Cork’s reign

From the Irish Times newspaper

ALL-IRELAND IHC FINAL Kilkenny 2-17 Cork 1-13: KILKENNY’S quest for a hat-trick of All-Irelands got the perfect start when the intermediates got the better of reigning champions Cork at Semple Stadium on Saturday. Goals at the start and the end of the game from Peter Cleere helped Kilkenny grab their second title at this grade in three years – and avenge last year’s final defeat. Cleere’s second goal in the 61st minute sufficed to dampen Cork spirits which had soared after Colm Casey’s fine goal left them just two points down, 1-15 to 1-13, with a few minutes remaining.

Cleere won a dropping ball and blasted a shot past goalkeeper Declan McCarthy and Bill Beckett added two late points to stretch the winning margin to seven. Cleere’s first goal gave Kilkenny a 1-3 to 0-2 lead after seven minutes. However, Cork rallied and edged ahead midway through the half thanks to a points from Bill Cooper and Danny O’Callaghan. Kilkenny led 1-6 to 0-8 at the interval and the sides were then level three times but once midfielder Niall Walsh fired a long-range point in the 47th minute Kilkenny never looked back.

KILKENNY : L Tierney; M Phelan, P Murphy, K Mooney (0-1, free) ; J Cotterell, R Cody, Niall Doherty; P Hartley, N Walsh (0-1); B Beckett (0-4, one free), R Dollard (0-2), N Cleere (0-1, free); M Grace (0-2), P Cleere (2-0), A Healy (0-4, three frees). Subs: B Lennon (0-1) for Cody (37 mins); Noel Doherty (0-1) for N Cleere (47 mins).

CORK : D McCarthy; M Walsh, C Fogarty, B Coleman; T Healy, K Hartnett, M Ellis; D O’Callaghan (0-2, frees) , B. Fitzgerald; B Corry, B Cooper (0-3), C Casey (1-1) ; M. Harrington, E Conway (0-7, all frees) , M. O’Sullivan. Subs : S Corr for B Fitzgerald (48 mins), B. Lawton for Conway (53 mins), J Halbert for O’Sullivan (55 mins).

Referee: A Kelly (Galway)