Corn Ui Mhuiri Football Quarter-Final – PS Chorcha Dhuibhne 0-10 St. Flannans Ennis 1-3

Chorca Dhuibhne give St Flannan’s runaround

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 0-10 St Flannan’s, Ennis 1-3

By Murt Murphy for the Irish Examiner newspaper

After a late switch of venue from Abbeyfeale to Rathkeale due to the weather, last year’s beaten finalists Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne advanced to an all-Kerry semi-final meeting with Tralee CBS. St Flannan’s had every chance of causing an upset as they played with the wind in the opening half and led 0-3 to no score after 20 minutes thanks to points from Conor Cleary (two) and Martin O’Leary. However, the Clare side shot nine wides by half time as Chorca Dhuibhne finished stronger thanks to Padraig Ó Sé, Barra Ó Suilleabhain and Brian Ó Raoill. St Flannan’s were winning most of the breaking ball around the middle with Jack Browne, Tony Kelly and Conor Cleary very influential but Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne put menacing passages of play together.

The game-changing moment occurred in the 19th minute when a Chorca Dhuibhne turnover saw Tadgh Lynch race inside the Dingle defence and as Gavin Curran advanced, Lynch blazed wide. Chorca Dhuibhne, who had yet to score, lifted their game and five unanswered points followed from Dara Ó Sé (three), Jack Ó Suilleabhain and Cathal Ó Bambaire, which saw the West Kerry side lead 0-5 to 0-3 at the interval. Two quick points from Dara Ó Sé on resumption seemed to have Chorca Dhuibhne in a strong position but St Flannan’s rallied when Conor Cleary finished a Martin O’Leary sideline ball to the net. However, they failed to score for the rest of the game as Chorca Dhuibhne shut up shop with Cathal Ó Luing and Padraig Ó Se (son of Páidí) excelling.

* The late switch could have been avoided if there had been an early inspection at Abbeyfeale, which was clearly unplayable. However, thanks to the quick thinking of referee Richard Moloney and the desire of both schools to play, the tie was saved and the cavalcade of players, supporters and students travelled 15 miles up the road to Rathkeale. Interestingly it was the third venue change as the original venue was Croagh which was only changed late on Tuesday evening. Oh, the joys of colleges football.

Scorers for Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne: D Ó Sé 0-6 (4f); B Ó Suilleabhain 0-2; J Ó Suilleabhain, C Ó Bambaire 0-1 each.

Scorers St Flannan’s Ennis: C Cleary 1-2 (0-1f), Martin O’Leary 0-1.

POBALSCOIL CHORCA DHUIBHNE: G Ó Currain; P Ó Conchuir C Ó Luing, T Ó Suilleabhain; D Ó Suilleabhain , P Ó Sé, M Ó Flatharta; B Ó Suilleabhain, E Ó Conchuir; B Ó Raoill, Dara Ó Sé , J Ó Suilleabhain; C Ó Bambaire T Ó Caomhanaigh, M Ó Flannura.

Subs: T Ó Fathaigh for Ó Flannura (17), Micheal Ó Ciobhain for Ó Bambaire (50), S Ó Muircheartaigh for D Ó Suilleabhain (57), E Ó Muircheartaigh for Ó Fathaigh (59).

ST FLANNAN’S ENNIS: C Normoyle; A McGuane, G Ryan, R Rafferty; S Ward, J Browne, S O’Donnell; T Kelly, S Corry; C Cleary, T Lynch, D Neylon; M O’Leary, David Conroy, Barry Lynch.

Subs: K McMahon for S Corry (38), E Courtney for D Neylon (40), S Murphy for A McGuane (59).

Referee: Richard Moloney (Bruff)