Official Aras Mumhan Website

Loading Events
  • This event has passed.

Allianz NHL Division 1 – Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14

March 14, 2010 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm

Tipperary defeated Galway by 2-17 to 0-14 in Round 3 of the Allianz GAA Hurling National League Division 1 on Sunday in Semple Stadium Thurles.

Allianz National Hurling League – Division 1, Round 3

Tipperary 2 – 17 Galway 0 – 14

By Cathal Ryan

A second half Tipperary blitz fired the Premier County to a comfortable victory over Galway in Sunday afternoon’s Division One National Hurling League encounter at Semple Stadium. Leading by four points at the break the Tribesmen were looking comfortable but a dismal second half display where they only manufactured one score in the entire half left the door open for Liam Sheedy’s men and Tipperary did not hesitate to seize the opportunity.  With Galway still ahead by a point in the 51st minute Shane McGrath soared like a salmon to claim a James Skehill puck out. Turning back inside he lay a hand pass to John O Brien who was loitering in space on the half way line and the Toomevara man attempted to use the breeze that was assisting to land a long range point. The strike lacked the purchase necessary to reach its intended destination but Skehill between the Galway framework didn’t deal with the incoming ball as he would have liked batting the ball back down in front of an inrushing Noel McGrath. The young Loughmore star got a boot to the sliotar and bundled the ball to the net.

This gave Tipperary the momentum to drive to victory. However in the early stages Galway were the stronger side and with the men in blue and gold struggling with the early pace they were relieved when John O Brien deflected an Eoin Kelly 65 to the net in the sixth minute to gain a foot hold in the match. The men from the west had already notched up a couple of points and produced a save worthy of any occasion from Tipperary’s Brendan Cummins prior to O Brien’s goal. The ball was delivered long from the middle of the field and when two defenders were drawn to contesting the high ball corner forward Iarla Tannian skipped in behind to pick up the breaking ball where he took one touch on the stick before lashing goal bound. Cummins reactions were phenomenal as he readjusted and deflected the ball to safety.

Back to back victories for the Premier County in the National Hurling League leaves them right back in contention and the next outing against Limerick should provide another opportunity to claim two more valuable points given Justin McCarthy’s recent troubles. The Tipperary management  will be delighted with the second half display as they dismantled Galway in every section of the game and will strive to maintain the work rate they produced to achieve this against Limerick. Meanwhile John McIntyre will be furious with the incompetent showing his side produced in the second half and he will be hoping to draft back in the Portumna contingent to his squad as soon as possible after the St. Patricks Day club final to put some structure to his side.
The Tribesmen did begin well and centre forward Cyril Donnellan got the first score of the match after a bustling run. A second was added in the third minute when wing forward Aidan Harte picked up on a breaking ball before floating over the score.

O Brien nipped in for his goal in the sixth minute and when Lar Corbett popped over Tipp’s first point in the eight minute it looked as though Tipperary were going to get on top. Things did not materialise in this fashion and McIntyre’s boys dominated the following ten minutes scoring six points with no response. Tannian began the route, Donnellan claimed his second score of the game before two frees from Ger Farragher, one from Aonghus Callanan and a second from Tannian put Galway back into the driving seat.  The Galway half back line was well on top at this stage of the game and Tipperary needed inspiration. Lar Corbett got a typical Corbett point latching onto a bouncing ball and sweeping it over off that trusty right hand side to score at a stage when it was much needed 22 minute into the contest. As an act of defiance from the very next play Ger Farragher responded with a long range strike to keep the Galway advantage intact.

Seamus Callanan then began to engineer some space for himself and notched up three points in the final eighteen minutes of the first half after some intricate play with team mates most notably Shane McGrath. But the Tribesmen matched score for score and marched in at the break with an advantage of 0-13 to 1-6. What happened that Galway side that looked free flowing and dangerous in the first period is a mystery as in the second half they never posed a threat. Slowly but surely Tipperary became more and more dominant with superb displays from Paddy Stapleton and Shane McGrath in particular driving the blue and gold machine forward.  Up front Noel McGrath picked a fine point as he back tracked from a defenders attention as well as his 51st minute goal, Lar Corbett scored two more points and was a constant thorn in the Galway side and substitute Timmy Hammersley who had a fine run in the Fitzgibbon Cup with WIT recently scored a two points to polish a commanding second half Tipperary display.

Tipperary: Brendan Cummins; Paddy Stapleton, Padraic Maher, Michael Cahill; Declan Fanning, Conor O Mahony, Shane Maher; Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath(0-1); Seamus Hennessy, Seamus Callanan (0-4), John O Brien (1-0); Eoin Kelly (0-5, 4F) Lar Corbett (0-4), Noel McGrath (1-1). Subs: Paul Curran for C. O Mahony (40), Timmy Hammersley (0-2) for S. Hennessy (47), Gearoid Ryan for J. O Brien (53), Paul Kelly for N. McGrath (62), Michael Webster for L. Corbett (70)

Galway: James Skehill; Fergal Moore, Shane Kavanagh, Damien Joyce; David Collins, Tony Og Regan, Conor Dervan; Ger Farragher (0-5, 4F) Niall Cahalan (0-1); Aonghus Callanan (0-2), Cyril Donnellan (0-2), Aidan Harte (0-1); Iarla Tannian (0-2), Joe Gantley (0-1), David Burke. Subs: Kevin Hynes for A. Harte (53), Donal Barry for C. Dervan (58), Eanna Ryan for C. Donnellan (64), John Lee for D. Collins (64).

Referee: John Sexton (Cork)

Sheedy stresses the positives as Tipp hit back Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14 By Jim O’Sullivan for the Irish Examiner newspaper Monday, March 15, 2010 A CLASSIC example of the game of two halves, one which embarrasses a Galway side unbeaten in the National Hurling League prior to yesterday and, conversely, endorses the undoubted potential of Tipperary. The Westerners took the honours over the opening 35 minutes but were powerless to halt an inspired onslaught from their hosts after the break which produced an impressive return of 1-11 with just a single point in reply.  Galway manager John McIntyre did not speak to the media afterwards – an unusual if not unique occurrence for a man who works in the same line of business – the first words uttered by Sheedy after he was interviewed in the tunnel were highly appropriate in the circumstances.  “Talk is cheap I’m afraid. It all comes down to hurling,’’ he commented, when asked the inevitable question of what he had said to his players during the interval.

Consider the facts. Tipperary largely relied on what their manager accepted was a sixth minute ‘fortuitous’ goal, when John O’Brien got a touch to a ‘65 from Eoin Kelly that had fallen short. Against a Galway side which was much more industrious all over the field, they trailed at one stage by seven points. And, behind 0-13 to 1-6 at half-time, there was every possibility that the game could have continued in the same vein.  But, from the time they got their second goal, from Noel McGrath in the 51st minute – this time after ‘keeper James Skehill had brought down a high ball from O’Brien – it was virtually one-way traffic to the final whistle.  “In fairness to the lads we were disappointed with our first half performance, but there was a stiff enough breeze at pitch level. We didn’t attack the ball, we just didn’t play very well,’’ said Sheehy.  “But, they are a very honest bunch and they knew they could do better. We probably got the break with the goal in the second half. Once we got that we just pushed on.’’

Starting with David Burke in the left corner in place of Niall Healy – and with Fergal Moore swopping corners in the full-back line to mark Eoin Kelly – Galway quickly found their rhythm. After Cyril Donnellan opened the scoring, Iarla Tannian was denied a goal by a super point-blank save by Brendan Cummins and despite conceding that goal at the other end, they quickly recovered.  McIntyre would have been well pleased with the way his defence coped with the threat from a potentially stronger attack and it was noteworthy that Eoin Kelly didn’t see much ball (being limited to a single point, from a free in injury time). Shane Kavanagh and Tony Óg Regan hurled consistently in the central positions, Aonghus Callanan won some good possession when he roamed out from his the half-forward line and a good spread of scorers among the rest of the attack was complemented by Ger Farragher’s excellent free-taking.  In the context of Tipp’s vast improvement in the second half, it was noteworthy that both Lar Corbett and Seamus Callanan had been getting more involved nearing the break. And, they continued that improvement, along with more telling contributions from Noel McGrath, and over the last quarter, Eoin Kelly.

The defence was much more effective, especially after Pádraic Maher went to centre-back (where Conor O’Mahony showed the effects of a sickness before being replaced). And, newcomer Michael Cahill impressed with his high work-rate at midfield. However, it was his more experienced partner – Shane McGrath – who did the most to lift the Tipp challenge, with his dominance in the air and great striking. Galway didn’t throw in the towel by any means, but they looked disorganised and, inexplicably, their scoring just dried up.  Sheedy summed up well when commenting: “there were a lot of positives to take out of that second-half performance’’

Scorers for Tipperary: E. Kelly 0-5 (0-4 frees); L. Corbett and S. Callanan 0-4 each; N. McGrath 1-1; J. O’Brien 1-0; T. Hammersley 0-2; S. McGrath 0-1.

Scorers for Galway: G. Farragher 0-5 (0-4 frees); C. Donnellan, A. Callanan and I. Tannian 0-2 each; A. Harte, N. Cahalan and J. Gantley 0-1 each.

Subs for Tipperary: P. Curran for O’Mahony (41); T. Hammersley for Hennessy (47); G. Ryan for O’Brien (53); P. Kelly for N. McGrath (63); M. Webster for Corbett (injured, 71).

Subs for Galway: K. Hynes for Harte (54); D. Barry for Dervan (57); J. Lee for Collins and E. Ryan for Donnellan (65).

Referee: John Sexton (Cork)

tipp dispatch galway to a dark oblivion

From the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday March 15 2010

JUST what is it about Galway hurlers and their relationship with the bizarre?

They hurled beautifully throughout the first half in Thurles yesterday only to be replaced by ghosts in the second half where their performance was the worst for a very long time, lacking shape, direction and any sense of constructive coherence.  Alarmingly, there was an absence of heart too once it became apparent that Tipperary had moved their game to a level where they would easily take the two precious league points.
Ultimately, that was the biggest indictment of a Galway team that looked as if they couldn’t wait for the sound of the final whistle to rescue them from their excruciating misery.

Tipperary had so much possession and space in the second half that they must have wondered what had happened to the Galway team who were so effective up to half-time. There were several times in the second half when Tipperary players were allowed so much time on the ball that they could steady themselves before delivering their passes or get in their shots. It was pure embarrassment for Galway, which explains perhaps why manager John McIntyre made no comment afterwards. One suspects that he will have plenty to say when Galway return to training this week as there were so many alarming dimensions to their second-half collapse that the very foundations are in danger of cracking.

Tipperary outscored Galway by 1-13 to 0-1 from the 32nd minute on and also shot 11 wides in the second half. It illustrates the extent of their dominance on a day when Seamus Callanan, a pre-match replacement for Jody Brennan, and Lar Corbett scored four points each from open play. Eoin Kelly, Noel McGrath and John O’Brien added a further 2-6 while Timmy Hammersley, who came on in the 47th minute, marked his senior debut with two crisply struck points. He arrived at a time when Galway were still clinging to the lead but everything changed in the 51st minute when Noel McGrath bundled the ball to the net after Galway ‘keeper James Skehill had fumbled a long-range delivery.

Aonghus Callanan scored Galway’s only point of the second half in the 54th minute to cut the deficit to the minimum (2-9 to 0-14) but Tipperary kicked on to land a further eight points.  “Thank God, there are two halves in games,” remarked a delighted Liam Sheedy afterwards. “We got no rhythm going at all in the first half and, to be honest, we were lucky to be only four points behind at half-time. We had played against a fairly strong wind but everything wasn’t down to that — we were being out-hurled too.” Galway launched some excellent points and seemed totally at ease with themselves as five of their six forwards, plus midfielders Ger Farragher and Niall Cahalan, got on the scoresheet. The defence was sturdy too, apart from one moment of indecision which allowed John O’Brien to divert Eoin Kelly’s ’65 to the net in the sixth minute. Corbett pointed in the ninth minute but Galway’s response was to shoot six unanswered points.


They led by 0-13 to 1-4 after 32 minutes and would have been further ahead except for a great save from Brendan Cummins from Iarla Tannian. Callanan and Kelly cut two points off the deficit before the interval to leave Galway four clear (0-13 to 1-6) and well set up for the second half. Or so it seemed. In reality, they had presented no more than an illusion and once Tipperary settled into their powerful routine, Galway’s flimsy resistance was repeatedly exposed. Cummins, Paddy Stapleton, Padraic Maher and Declan Fanning secured Tipperary’s defensive bolts, Shane McGrath took charge at midfield and never relented, while Corbett and Callanan led the attacking charge with power and precision.

“We have a lot of positives to take from that second half. The lads got really stuck in and made things happen. They knew that the first-half performance wasn’t good enough and they really did empty the tank once they got going in the second half,” said Sheedy. This win puts Tipperary right back in contention for a place in the league final and while Galway have also won two of three games, the worrying aspect for them is that they could produce such a shockingly inept 35 minutes after being so efficient up to half-time. How any team — least of all one with big-time ambitions — could score just one point in 38 minutes of hurling on a dry, pleasant afternoon is one of those sorrowful mysteries which Galway must attempt to address. It will have to be done from a premise of humility as none of them could feel remotely happy with their second-half performance.

It was far more serious than being merely out-hurled. There was also a mental opt-out once Tipperary increased the tempo of their hurling. There were times when it looked as if they had several extra players on the pitch, thanks to their off-the-ball running and positioning.  In contrast, Galway were cumbersome and flat-footed, looking altogether like men who had undergone a heavy training session yesterday morning. Of course that wasn’t the case. The return of the Portumna contingent will strengthen Galway but clearly there’s something woefully suspect about their mentality. It wasn’t that Tipperary had to do anything outstanding in the second half.  Granted, they improved on their first-half efforts but could never have expected that it would be enough to dispatch Galway into such deep and dark oblivion.

Scorers — Tipperary: E Kelly 0-5 (4f); L Corbett, S Callanan 0-4 each; N McGrath 1-1; J O’Brien 1-0; T Hammersley 0-2; S McGrath 0-1. Galway: G Farragher 0-5 (4f); C Donnellan, I Tannian, A Callanan 0-2 each; A Harte, N Cahalan, J Gantley 0-1 each.

Tipperary — B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Maher, B Maher; D Fanning, C O’Mahony, S Maher; M Cahill, S McGrath; S Hennessy, S Callanan, N McGrath; E Kelly, J O’Brien, L Corbett.
Subs: P Curran for O’Mahony (41 mins), T Hammersley for Hennessy (47), G Ryan for O’Brien (53), P Kelly for N McGrath (63), M Webster for Corbett (71).

Galway — J Skehill; F Moore, S Kavanagh, D Joyce; D Collins, T Og Regan, C Dervan; G Farragher, N Cahalan; A Callanan, C Donnellan, A Harte; I Tannian, J Gantley, D Burke.
Subs: K Hynes for Harte (54), D Barry for Dervan (57), E Ryan for Donnellan (65), J Lee for Collins (65).

REF — J Sexton (Cork)

McGrath goal turns tide in Tipperary’s favour

By Tom Humphries at Semple Stadium for the Irish Times newspaper

NHL DIVISION ONE: Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14

A GAME that fits all too snugly into the cliché. Galway, vibrant and inventive in the first half, led by less than they should have. Tipperary looked as if they had spent the last week coalmining. Half-time. Whatever was said was said. Galway scored just once after the break. A game of two halves. Sorry.

“Words are cheap, at the end of the day it is hurling that counts,” said Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy when asked afterwards about his interval oration. “In fairness, we were disappointed with the first-half performance, but there was a stiff enough breeze down there. Even allowing for that, we didn’t attack the ball at all. Thankfully, there was a second half!” The first half had seemingly exposed a shyness about Tipperary which one assumed was long gone. Galway moved the ball into space unimpeded and having cantered into a two-point lead were surprised to find themselves hauled back when a crafty Eoin Kelly 65 was deflected smartly into the net by John O’Brien. Game on, we thought, but we were wrong. Galway stretched their limbs and pulled away again.

Iarla Tannion was making hay in the corner and his points might have been supplemented by a wonderful goal when he took one touch on a dropping ball and then pulled. Brendan Cummins produced a save, however, which drew a warm ovation from the crowd of 6,080. With Ger Farragher prompting from the middle and the spaces opening up all around, the game had the feel of a rout. Yet, Tipp just kept themselves in Galway’s rear-view mirror. Lar Corbett, venturing out the field scavenging for all which wasn’t reaching his full-forward office, was instrumental in keeping his side in touch with a few wonderful points. “We were lucky to be within four points at half-time,” said Sheedy afterwards. “We were lucky to get the goal, I mean, the goal was a great flick by Johnno, but we were not in a position where we were expecting a goal. “We got the break then in the second half with the goal. A lot of positives to take out of that second half.”

The goal which started the swing in the second half came off a piece of opportunism from young Noel McGrath who chased in after a high ball which spun off James Skehill’s stick and on to the grass from where McGrath kicked it home. That was eight minutes or so into the second half and Tipp had three points posted already as a declaration of their intent. Suddenly, Galway were trying to find the right gear . . . and failing. John McIntyre had spoken during the week about his side’s tendency to lose focus. They provided him with a perfect demonstration yesterday. The Galway manager didn’t make himself available for comment after the game, but his voice could be heard ricocheting around the locked Galway dressing room for some time after the finish.

Still, those who remember a similar dressing down in Pearse Park last spring will figure it always gets better when the Portumna contingent return and when John Lee eases into championship form. Lee made a brief appearance yesterday following his Fitzgibbon heroics. McIntyre will know the loss of focus is a small crisis and there are good things on the way. As for Sheedy, things have changed since his side’s opening defeat to Dublin, but the objective remains the same. “You have to remember that all of this is preparation for a championship. It doesn’t change Tuesdays or Thursdays. “It can’t, though the lads fairly emptied the tank there by the end. We have played three weeks in a row and have another three in a row coming up. They are good competitive games, but it is championship we are looking at.”

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Maher, B Maher; D Fanning, C O’Mahony, S Maher; M Cahill (0-1), S McGrath, S Hennessy, S Callinan (0-2), J O Brien (1-1), E Kelly (0-7), L Corbett (0-3), N McGrath (1-2). Subs: T Hammersley (0-1) for S Hennessy 60 mins.

GALWAY: J Skehill; F Moore, S Kavanagh, D Joyce; D Collins, T Óg Regan, C Dervan; G Farragher (0-5), N Cahalan (0-1); A Callanan (0-2), C Donnellan (0-2), A Harte (0-1); I Tannion (0-2), J Gantley (0-1), D Burke. Subs: D Barry for A Harte 55 mins, KJ Lee for C Dervan 58 mins.

Referee: J Sexton (Cork)

Team News

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Galway in round 3 of the Allianz GAA Hurling National League on Sunday, March 14th shows 4 changes from the team which started against Kilkenny last weekend. Paddy Stapleton, Michael Cahill, Seamus Hennessy and Jody Brennan come into the side in place of Paul Curran, Thomas Stapleton, Benny Dunne and Micheál Webster.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)
3. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
4. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)
5. Declan Fanning (Killenaule)
6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
7. Shane Maher (Burgess)
8. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
10. Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
11. Jody Brennan (Upperchurch / Drombane)
12. John O’Brien (Toomevara)
13. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)       Captain
14. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)
15. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

GALWAY: J Skehill; F Moore, S Kavanagh, D Joyce; C Dervan, T Regan, D Collins; G Farragher, N Cahalane; A Callanan, C Donnellan, A Harte; I Tannian, J Gantley, N Healy.


March 14, 2010
2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Event Tags:
, , , ,

GAA Units