Official Aras Mumhan Website

03rd June 2023

Galway defeated Cork by 1-12 to 0-12 in the Glen Dimplex All-Ireland Senior Camogie Championship on Saturday June 3rd at Kenny Park Athenry.

Galway maintain hoodoo over Cork as senior championship kicks off

By Daragh Ó Conchúir

Galway’s last three competitive outings have been against Cork and they retained their 100 per cent record against the Rebels to record a 1-12 to 0-12 triumph in their first Glen Dimplex All-Ireland senior championship Group 1 tie at Kenny Park, Athenry.

The sides last met in the League final seven weeks ago, having also clashed in the group stages of that competition, and a 55th minute goal from Siobhán McGrath sealed the issue here after a fiercely-contested affair.

It was a tremendous team score, starting from a short puckout and ending with Siobhán Gardiner flicking a pass from Niamh Hanniffy goalwards before McGrath provided the finishing touch on her first appearance in maroon this year after injury. Allied with eight points from the fantastic Carrie Dolan, it was pivotal in getting Cathal Murray’s team over the line.

It had been nip and tuck until then but Cork were unable to pose enough of a threat in the second half. Indeed they only managed two points in the latter period, both magnificently-slotted frees by the brilliant Katrina Mackey, though they did rack up seven wides to give an indication of some of the chances they had created.

They had gone in at the change of ends leading by 0-11 to 0-7 and it was a deserved lead that should have been greater but for the failure to capitalise on some other good chances. This was a malaise that proved very costly for Matthew Twomey’s crew. The Leesiders welcomed Mackey back from a rib injury suffered in the very first game of the League and one of the most experienced players on the pitch excelled with six points, including four from play in that opening half.

Galway were a different team after the resumption with McGrath slotting two points and Dolan keeping the scoreboard ticking over with three scores to add to her first-half quintet. It took Cork 20 minutes to get off the mark but McGrath’s goal came soon after to decide the contest.

GAA Units