AIB Munster Club SHC Final – Ballygunner 2-14 Na Piarsaigh 2-8

Ballygunner (Waterford) defeated Na Piarsaigh (Limerick) by 2-14 to 2-8 in the AIB Munster Club Senior Hurling Championship Final on Sunday November 18th at Semple Stadium Thurles.

Match Highlights

Ballygunner win first Munster hurling club title since 2001

Report By Michael Moynihan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Na Piarsaigh (Limerick) 2-14 Ballygunner (Waterford) 2-8

Ballygunner were crowned Munster hurling club champions in Semple Stadium, the Waterford side collecting a historic first title since 2001.

Na Piarsaigh defended the Town End and began with a terrific solo goal from Kevin Downes. Conor Power and Brian O’Sullivan hit points in return; Shane Dowling hit a free and it was 1-1 to 0-2 on five minutes.

Kevin Downes goal for Na Piarsaigh

Dowling (two) and Alan Dempsey eased Na Piarsaigh further ahead before Barry O’Sullivan responded: 1-4 to 0-3 11 minutes in. Brian O’Sullivan got a sight of goal but Padraig Kennedy saved well at the expense of a point. Harley Barnes and Ronan Lynch swapped points before Adrian Breen pushed Na Piarsaigh four clear, 1-6 to 0-5.

A Pauric Mahony free was followed by Brian O’Sullivan winning a Ballygunner penalty on 27 minutes: the Waterford side’s keeper Stephen O’Keeffe came up and goaled to level the game. A late Mahony free left Ballygunner one up at the half, 1-7 to 1-6.

Stephen O’Keeffe penalty goal for Ballygunner

Mahony (free) and Barry O’Sullivan hit points on the resumption, then Brian O’Sullivan put the Gunners four clear and the initiative was clearly with the Waterford men.

Mahony added a long-range free before Dowling had Na Piarsaigh’s first real chance, a close-in free. He took a quick one to Kevin Downes, who netted, but referee Nathan Wall called play back. Dowling pointed when he retook the free but Mahony responded from play – 1-12 to 1-7 on 42 minutes.

The same man dropped a ball all the way to the net from a free in his own half and added a point from a free immediately afterwards, and it was all Ballygunner – 2-13 to 1-7 and just over ten minutes left. Na Piarsaigh required a complete Ballygunner collapse to have any chance and that was never likely. O’Keeffe’s fine save from a Dowling shot energised his teammates.

Dowling would find the net from a free on 53 minutes but Ballygunner held out for a deserved win.

Shane Dowling goal for Na Piarsaigh

Scorers for Ballygunner: Pauric Mahony (1-6, 1-5 frees); S. O’Keeffe (pen)(1-0), Brian O’Sullivan (0-3); Barry O’Sullivan (0-2); H. Barnes, C. Power, S. O’Sullivan (0-1 each).

Scorers for Na Piarsaigh: S. Dowling (1-4, 1-3 frees); K. Downes (1-0); R. Lynch (0-2); A. Dempsey, A. Breen (0-1 each).

BALLYGUNNER: S. O’Keeffe (JC), E. Hayden, B. Coughlan, I. Kenny, W. Hutchinson, Philip Mahony, H. Barnes, B. O’Keeffe, S. O’Sullivan (JC), Barry O’Sullivan, Pauric Mahony, P. Hogan, T. O’Sullivan, Brian O’Sullivan, C. Power.
Subs: M. Mahony for T. O’Sullivan (58); JJ Hutchinson for Power (60).

NA PIARSAIGH: P. Kennedy, J. Boylan, M. Casey, C. King, R. Lynch, W. O’Donoghue (c), T. Grimes, A. Dempsey, G. Brown, D. Dempsey, S. Dowling, C. Boylan, A. Breen, K. Downes, P. Casey.
Subs: M. Foley for O’Donoghue (blood, 31-3); M. Foley for Grimes (43); K. Ryan for Breen (50).

Referee: N. Wall (Cork)

Ticket Information

Pre Purchase Adult: €15
Match Day Adult: €20
Juveniles: Free

Student/OAP rebate available on matchday and pre-purchase tickets at designated turnstiles.

This is an unreserved fixture. It is only the O’Riann Stand open on the day.

Tickets available via participating Centra and Supervalu outlets.

Match Programme

Pick up a copy of the 32 page souvenir match programme

AIB Munster Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Final – Charleville (Cork) 2-20 Feakle (Clare) 1-20

Charleville (Cork) defeated Feakle (Clare) by 2-20 to 1-20 in the AIB Munster Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Final on Sunday November 18th at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Late Darren Casey goal secures win for Charleville

Report By Eoghan Cormican for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Charleville 2-20 – 1-20 Feakle

A 63rd minute Darren Casey goal secured Charleville victory in this Munster club intermediate hurling final, the North Cork side having overturned a 10-point interval deficit to take the verdict.

The situation looked ominous for Charleville at the break, Feakle enjoying a 1-13 to 0-6 lead.

Having clipped the opening two points of the game, Mark Kavanagh (free) and Kevin O’Connor the providers, Charleville were then outscored by 1-10 to 0-1 in the subsequent 17 minutes. Raymond Bane delivered the Feakle goal on nine minutes, with the Clare champions reeling off seven unanswered points thereafter.

Oisin Donnellan, who’d finish the half with four points from play, was proving a particular thorn in the side of the Charleville defence. Gary Guilfoyle and midfielder Shane McGrath, the latter threw over five frees and one from play in the opening period, were also making life very difficult for the North Cork side.

Mark Kavanagh’s point for Charleville on 21 minutes was their first in 14 minutes, leaving the scoreboard reading 1-10 to 0-4. Points subsequently from Donnellan and two McGrath frees had the gap at 10 come the call for half-time.

Of the first seven second-half points, six were struck by men in a red shirt. The comeback was on. Having reduced the deficit to five on four occasions, Charleville were struggling to get any closer of their opponents, but three-in-a-row from Darragh Fitzgibbon (free and ‘65) and Andrew Cagney cut the margin to three, 1-19 to 0-19, on 56 minutes.

The sides were level when Jack Doyle rattled the Feakle net on 59 minutes and Charleville hit the front thanks to a Darragh Fitzgibbon point in the subsequent action. The All-Star hurler was colossal in the second period.

Oisin Donnellan’s sixth white flag in the second minute of second-half stoppages suggested extra-time was inevitable, but in the third minute of injury-time, a blocked Conor Buckley point attempt fell into the path of sub Darren Casey and he stroked the sliotar past Eibhear Quilligan to complete both a famous comeback and win for Charleville.

Scorers for Charleville: D Fitzgibbon (0-9, 0-3 frees, 0-1 ’65); J Doyle, D Casey (1-1 each); M Kavanagh (0-1 free), K O’Connor (0-2 each); C Buckley (0-1), D O’Flynn (0-1 each).

Scorers for Feakle: S McGrath (0-9, 0-7 frees); O Donnellan (0-6); G Guilfoyle (0-3); R Bane (1-0); S Conway, M Daly (0-1 each).

Charleville: C Collins; D Butler, J Meade, F Cagney; A Dennehy, J Buckley, C Carroll; J O’Callaghan, K O’Connor; D Fitzgibbon, J Doyle, M Kavanagh; C Buckley, A Cagney, T Hawe.
Subs: D Casey for Kavanagh, D O’Flynn for Hawe (both 26); G Hanrahan for S Conway (51).

Feakle: E Quilligan; J Nelson, E McMahon, J Noonan; E Conway, E Tuohy, K Bane; S McGrath, C Smyth; O Donnellan, E Noonan, S Conway; R Bane, M Daly, G Guilfoyle
Subs: A McMahon for E Noonan (56); C Naughton for R Bane (60).

Referee: K Jordan (Tipperary).

Match Programme