AIB Munster Club Senior Football Championship Semi-Final – Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 5-20 St. Finbarr’s (Cork) 1-11

Dr. Crokes (Kerry) defeated St. Finbarr’s (Cork) by 5-20 to 1-11 in the AIB Munster Club Senior Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday November 11th at Dr. Crokes GAA Killarney.

Match Highlights

Dr Crokes soar through to football senior club final with 21-point win over St Finbarr’s

Report By Eoghan Cormican for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Dr Crokes 5-20 – 1-11 St Finbarr’s

A massacre at Lewis Road. 5-20 from Crokes, each one of their 25 scores arriving from play.

The winning margin, which wound up at 21 points, was perfectly reflective of their unstinting dominance throughout, as well as the ruthless nature showed by every one of the 11 players who wrote their names onto a fairly lengthy scoresheet.

For St Finbarr’s, it was a harrowing afternoon. The contest was beyond them from relatively early in the opening period, but instead of the opposition easing off in the second period, the arrival of Colm Cooper and Jordan Kiely off the bench saw Crokes continue to punch holes in the visiting defence at every opportunity.

Between them, Kiely and Cooper contributed 1-4. From the starting team, the six forwards two midfielders and centre-back Gavin White all made scoring contributions.

It was relentless from a side who booked their third straight provincial appearance and seventh this decade with remarkable ease. It was game over at half-time as the hosts held an unassailable 2-11 to 1-3 lead. The writing was on the wall as early as the first quarter for the visitors as Crokes charged into a 0-6 to 0-1 lead.

The Cork champions did open brightly and pressed the Crokes defence early on, but all they had to show for their early attacks was a single Stephen Sherlock free. At the other end, the Barr’s defence was in all sorts of bother.

Crokes’ corner-forward pair of Tony Brosnan and David Shaw were causing endless problems for Glen O’Connor and Dylan Quinn, with Ross O’Dwyer, who was pulled off after just 16 minutes, finding the going particularly tough against Kieran O’Leary.

Gavin O’Shea and a beautiful Brosnan kick off the left sent the Kerry champions 0-8 to 0-1 clear by the 17th minute. The Barr’s, to their credit, fought gamely to wrestle back a game which was quickly moving away from them.

Sherlock kicked his second free and then Eoghan McGreevey, after a fine Colm Scully block back the field to instigate the move, lobbed Shane Murphy for a much-needed goal.

Looney and Conor Dennehy swapped points in the subsequent passages to leave three between them, 0-9 to 1-3, but in the closing eight minutes of the half, the home side kicked 2-2 without reply to end this game as a contest.

Johnny Buckley delivered their first, with his midfield partner Daithi Casey, after a truly brilliant Kieran O’Leary pass, bagging their second in first-half stoppages.

The second-half was even more brutal from a Barr’s perspective. Micheál Burns, David Shaw and Kiely all rose green flags, whereas the Cork side was time and again left frustrated as they chased goals.

Scorers for Dr Crokes: T Brosnan (0-4); D Shaw (1-3); M Burns, D Casey, J Kiely (1-1 each); B Looney, C Cooper (0-3 each); G White, J Buckley, G O’Shea, K O’Leary (0-1 each).

Scorers for St Finbarr’s: S Sherlock (0-6, 0-3 ‘45s, 0-2 frees); E McGreevey (1-0); R O’Mahony (0-2); I Maguire, C Dennehy, D O’Brien (0-1 each).

Dr Crokes: S Murphy; J Payne, M Moloney, F Fitzgerald; D O’Leary, G White, S Doolan; J Buckley, D Casey; M Burns, G O’Shea, B Looney; D Shaw, K O’Leary, T Brosnan.
Subs: A O’Sullivan for Moloney (30); C Cooper for Brosnan (42); J Kiely for D Shaw (44); M Potts for Doolan (49); P Clarke for Buckley (52); J Lyne for Burns (53)

St Finbarr’s: J Kerins; D Quinn, R O’Dwyer, G O’Connor; C Lyons, C Scully, C Dennehy; I Maguire, E Comyns; D O’Brien, M Shields, E Dennehy; E McGreevey, C Keane, S Sherlock.
Subs: C Barrett for Shields (13 mins, inj); J Burns for O’Dwyer (16); R O’Mahony for Keane (HT); A O’Connor for McGreevey (34, inj); A McCarthy for O’Connor (49); A Lyne for O’Brien (56).

Referee: D O’Mahoney (Tipperary).

Ticket Information

Adult: €15
Students/OAP’s: €10, will receive their concession at the designated stile with valid ID prior to entry
U16’s: Free

Tickets are available now from participating Centra & Supervalu outlets

Match Programme

Pick up a copy of the 32 page souvenir match programme on Sunday

AIB Munster Club Senior Football Championship Semi-Final – St Joseph’s Miltown-Malbay (Clare) 2-11 The Nire (Waterford) 0-9

St Joseph’s Miltown-Malbay (Clare) defeated The Nire (Waterford) by 2-11 to 0-9 in the AIB Munster Club Senior Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday November 11th at Fraher Field Dungarvan.

Match Highlights

St Joseph’s to face Dr Crokes in Munster club senior football final after win over The Nire

The Nire 0-9 – 2-11 St Joseph’s Miltown Malbay

Report By Michael Moynihan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Clare champions St Joseph’s of Miltown Malbay will face Dr Croke’s of Kerry in the Munster club senior football final, having seen off The Nire in a soggy Fraher Field, Dungarvan.

The Waterford champions defended the dressing-room end in the first half, facing the breeze, and opened the scoring with a fine Tom Barron point: Eoin Cleary replied with a Miltown free.

A loose ball squirted to Nire danger man Conor Gleeson but his first-time show was saved by Sean O’Brien in the Miltown goal and the Clare men had a Kieran Malone point when they swept downfield.

Miltown were exposing The Nire by running hard through the middle, where Eoin Cleary got on a lot of ball. Clever supporting runs earned them another Cleary free and a Colin Hehir point – 0-4 to 0-1 on ten minutes.

The Waterford men were far more deliberate in their build-up, but Jamie Barron hit a Nire point, Shane Ryan added a free and Gleeson levelled matters.

Oisin Looney nudged Miltown one ahead on 20 minutes, 0-5 to 0-4, as The Nire rued their errant free-taking. Malone tapped over a neat point. Cormac Murray had a sight of goal for the Clare men just then but blazed wide: he added a good point soon afterwards and Conor Cleary hit a long-range effort. There was just time for Gleeson to point a free, leaving it 0-9 to 0-5 at the half.

Conditions deteriorated dramatically over half-time and both sides struggled to express themsleves, but Shane Walsh hit a Nire point on 35 minutes. Eoin Curtin responded for Miltown. Dylan Guiry cut the Miltown lead to three on 40 minutes, just before Cormac Murray soloed through before crashing home a fine goal, 1-10 to 0-7.

In the conditions it was a hugely significant score, giving the Clare men a cushion, but Jamie Barron hit two Nire points to make it a four point game entering the last ten minutes. However, Miltown sub Sean Malone first-time a ground ball to the net to end the game as a contest with nine minutes left.

Referee Padraig O’Sullivan denied The Nire what seemed a certain penalty on 54 minutes which might have made the closing stages more interesting. The Nire’s James McGrath was sent off late on thanks to a second yellow card but was then allowed back on, presumably due to mistaken identity.

Scorers for The Nire: J. Barron (0-3); C. Gleeson (0-2, 1 free); T. Barron, S. Walsh, S. Ryan, D. Guiry (free) (0-1 each)

Scorers for St Joseph’s: C. Murray (1-1);S. Malone (1-0); E. Cleary (frees) (0-3); K. Malone, C. Hehir (0-2 each); C. Cleary, O. Looney, E. Curtin (0-1 each).

THE NIRE: D. Murphy, D. Meehan, T. O’Gorman (vc), M. Moore, J. McGrath, T. Barron, Darren Guiry, T. Guiry, C. Guiry, S. Ryan, Dylan Guiry (c), J. Barron, S. O’Meara, C. Gleeson, S. Walsh.
Subs: D. Ryan for T. Guiry (37); C. Mulcahy for Meehan (47); C. Walsh for O’Meara (57).

ST JOSEPH’S: S. O’Brien, A. McGuane, E. O’Gorman, E. O’Brien, C. Hehir, G. Kelly (c), J. O’Connor, O. Looney, D. McDonagh, E. Curtin, C. Cleary, K. Malone, B. Curtin, E. Cleary, C. Murray.
Subs: S. Malone for McDonagh (48); E. Reidy for J. O’Connor (55); G. Kelly for Curtin (57); M. Murray for Looney (60).

REFEREE: P. O’Sullivan (Kerry).

Ticket Information

Adult: €15
Students/OAP’s: €10, will receive their concession at the designated stile with valid ID prior to entry
U16’s: Free

Tickets are available now from participating Centra & Supervalu outlets

Match Programme

AIB Munster Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final – Fermoy (Cork) 2-6 Moyne Templetuohy (Tipperary) 0-8

Fermoy (Cork) defeated Moyne Templetuohy (Tipperary) by 2-6 to 0-8 in the AIB Munster Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday November 11th at Templetuohy.

Fermoy victorious in AIB Munster club IFC semi-final in Templetouhy

Fermoy 2-6 – 0-8 Moyne-Templetuohy

Report by Therese O’Callaghan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Victory for Fermoy in the AIB Munster club IFC semi-final at Templetuohy today. The Cork champions booking their place in the final against Kerry’s Kilcummin in two weeks.

Lucky for Fermoy they did all the work in the first-half, because, incredibly, they failed to score for the entire second-half. In last weekend’s semi-final, they didn’t score until 22 minutes after the restart, so they will need to rectify this ahead of the provincial showdown.

Moyne-Templetuohy finished with 12 men. However, this was not an unsporting contest – all sending offs came during the final minute-plus four of stoppage. First to go was Niall Russell who received two yellow cards, while there were red cards for Thomas Hamill and Martin Kelly for incidents.

Fermoy, who lined out minus Tomás Clancy and Ruairi O’Hagan were quickly into their stride after Shane Aherne netted in the sixth minute, his powerful finish coming after a splendid move involving Martin Brennan and Alan O’Connor.

A second goal, this time from Brennan approaching half-time that will have disappointed the Moyne-Templetuohy defence, helped establish a half-time lead of 2-6 to 0-3.

The home side, forced to play without their injured centre-back Pearse Meade, playing into the teeth of a strong wind, had points from John Hassett, Tom Meade and Conor Bowe.

By the three-quarter mark, Moyne-Templetuohy had reduced the lead, 2-6 to 0-6 They had further scores from Diarmuid Leahy and Hassett (2) but they badly needed a goal. Fermoy hung on to claim the win.

Scorers for Fermoy: M Brennan and S Aherne (1-0 each), L Coleman (0-1 45m, 0-1 free) and K Morrison (0-2 each), A O’Connor (free) and D Dawson (0-1 each).

Scorers for Moyne-Templetuohy: J Hassett (0-3 frees), T Meade and C Bowe (0-2 each), D Leahy (0-1).

Fermoy: L Coleman; P Clancy, J Daly, R Morrison; P Murphy, D O’Carroll (Capt), A Baragry; R McEvoy, J Hutchings; S Aherne, P De Róiste, D Dawson; M Brennan, A O’Connor, K Morrisson.
Subs: R O’Callaghan for A O’Connor (50), A Aherne for J Hutchings (54), E Clancy for D Dawson (60).

Moyne-Templetuohy: J Leahy; E Gorman, C Ely, J Grady; T Hassett (Capt), D Leahy, L Everard; T Hamill, J Bergin; D Lowe, C Bowe, T Meade; D Fogarty, J Hassett, O Lloyd.
Subs: B Kelly for D Lowe (35), N Russell for O Lloyd (38), M Ryan for E Gorman (55), M Kelly for J Hassett (59).

Referee: Alan Kissane (Waterford).

AIB Munster Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final – Kilcummin (Kerry) 2-17 Kilmacthomas (Waterford) 0-1

Kilcummin (Kerry) defeated Kilmacthomas (Waterford) by 2-17 to 0-1 in the AIB Munster Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final on Sunday November 11th at Kilcummin.

Kilcummin 2-17 Kilmacthomas 0-1

By Donal Barry for Kerry Newsfeed

Kilcummin booked a place in the Munster Intermediate Football club final after a facile victory over Waterford Champions Kilmacthomas, having 22 points to spare at the end.

In front of a crowd of 612, who braved torrential rain, the home side’s victory was never in doubt having led at the break 1-7 to 0-0.

Kilmacthomas, a week after claiming the Waterford crown, made 4 changes prior to throw in, found the Kilcummin pace and power difficult to deal with throughout the contest.

Kilcummin were on the board on the 3rd minute when Ian Devane pointed a 21 yard free. It was a score that came sandwiched between wides from the Waterford side, who were creating good early chances but failed to find the target.

By the 10th minute Kilcummin were 0-3 to the good with Gary O’Leary and Noel Duggan raising white flags.

Matt Keane picked up an early black card for the Kerry side on 11 minutes but it did little to stop their momentum, who stretched their lead to five with further scores from a Philip Casey free and one from play from Gary O’Leary.

Kilmacthomas had a real chance to open their account on the 17th minute but Darragh Powers free hit the top of the post and bounced wide. It was to be their last chance of the half as Shane Sweeney and Chris O’Leary pushed the lead to seven before Noel Duggan found himself at the end of a great team moved as he fired to the net to leave the home crowd in good spirits at the break as they led 1-7 to 0-0.

The onslaught continued into the second half with Kilcummin adding another seven unanswered points before Kilmacthomas registered their first score of the day from the boot of Kealan Kiersey when he fired his 50th minute free over the bar.

Within a minute Kilcummin breached the away sides rear-guard once more with Mikey O’Shea, only on a sub, shooting past Niall Cronin for their second goal of the afternoon.

Despite the comfort of the win, Kilcummin manager Willie Maher will know that his side will have to improve on their accuracy if they have designs of putting their hands on the Munster title; after he watched, his side kick 17 wides.

His team will face Fermoy in two weeks’ time with Kilcummin looking to secure a Kerry 5 in a row in this competition.

Kilcummin: Brendan Kealy, Shane McSweeney 0-2, Donal Maher, Daniel Moynihan, William Maher, Philip Casey 0-1(f), Sean O’Leary 0-1, Kevin O’Gorman, Chris O’Leary 0-2, Gary O’Leary 0-3 (0-1F), Matt Keane, Padraig Nagle 0-1, Ian Devane 0-1, Damien O’Leary, Noel Duggan 1-5 (0-2f)
Subs: Kelvin Teahan 0-1 for Matt Keane (11) Black Card, James Nagle for Philip Casey (40), Kieran Murphy for Damien O’Leary (43), Sean Brosnan for William Maher (49), Mikey O’Shea 1-0 for Ian Devane (50)

Kilmacthomas: Niall Cronin, Ryan Gallagher, Gary Kiely, Kavan Dee, Reece Power, Jay Hurton, Pwter Gallagher, Kealan Kiersesy 0-1f, Jack Dee, John Cleary, David Power, Alan Fitzsimmons, David Hallihan, Adam Walsh, Darragh Power
Subs: Peter Hurton for Peter Gallagher (37, Martin Power for David Hallihan (46), Ricky O’Connell for Kavan Dee (50), Jack Sutton for John Cleary (56),

Referee: Sean Lonergan (Tipperary)