Munster Senior Hurling Final – Cork 2-24 Clare 3-19

Cork defeated Clare by 2-24 to 3-19 in the Munster GAA Hurling Senior Championship Final on Sunday July 1st at Semple Stadium Thurles.

Match Highlights

Second half revival puts Clare to the sword as Cork retain Munster title

Report By John Fogarty for the Irish Examiner

Clare 3-19 – 2-24 Cork

A composed second-half display from Cork saw them retain their Munster SHC title as they put Clare to the sword for the second year in a row and the second time this summer.

The Banner were brilliant for a lot of the first half but folded after the break where John Conlon’s influence was drowned out by a more effective Cork defensive display.

Watched by a 45,364 crowd in Semple Stadium, Cork were on level terms in the 45th minute and by the time Clare scored again in the 52nd they had gone two ahead. Their second goal came in the 59th minute when the dynamic Darragh Fitzgibbon and Bill Cooper linked up to give Seamus Harnedy the platform to strike past Donal Tuohy.

Clare’s shooting into the Town End left a lot to be desire and they hit seven wides in the second half, Peter Duggan contributing four of them. He also had a free blocked as Shane O’Donnell struck poorly when Anthony Nash hit the ball directly to him.

A late goal by Ian Galvin gave Clare a flicker of hope but Cork were able to see out the remaining seconds and deservedly so following some beautiful hurling from Fitzgibbon, Patrick Horgan and Harnedy.

The first half was literally spilling over with a multitude of sidelines in the opening exchanges. Conlon’s blistering form was evident early on as he sent over his third point in the 13th minute to give Clare a 0-5 to 0-3 lead.

Cork were unlucky not to pick up a couple of frees but there was little doubt Clare were the better team and while Horgan brought the sides level in the 16th minute Anthony Nash was picking the ball out of his net seconds later when David Reidy finished off an attack produced by Tony Kelly’s lengthy solo run.

David Reidy goal for Clare

Another Conlon point followed, Damien Cahalane was relieved of marking duties on him, and Clare’s advantage grew to five points when Duggan fired over a brace of frees.

Clare’s second goal also came from a free, a launcher from Tuohy which was coming down at the edge of the square when Duggan touched it to the net. Again, Conlon followed it up with a point.

Luke Meade’s goal on the cusp of the break after Seamus Harnedy had fielded strongly and Mark Coleman’s sideline cut gave Cork some solace going into the break despite being 2-11 to 1-10 down.

Scorers for Cork: P. Horgan (0-11, 6 frees, 1 65); S. Harnedy (1-4); L. Meade (1-1); D. Fitzgibbon, D. Kearney, M. Coleman (1 sideline) (0-2 each); C. Lehane , B. Cooper (0-1 each).

Scorers for Clare: P. Duggan (1-7, 0-6 frees); J. Conlon (0-5); D. Reidy (1-2); I. Galvin (1-0); P. Collins (0-2); C. Galvin, C. McGrath, T. Kelly (0-1 each).

CORK: A. Nash; C. Spillane, D. Cahalane, C. Spillane; C. Joyce, E. Cadogan, M. Coleman; D. Fitzgibbon, B. Cooper; L. Meade, P. Horgan, D. Kearney; S. Kingston, C. Lehane, S. Harnedy (c).
Subs for Cork: R. O’Flynn for S. Kingston (59); M. Cahalane for L. Meade (64); L. McLoughlin for D. Kearney (66); D. Brosnan for B. Cooper (blood 70+2 to f-t).

CLARE: D. Tuohy; P. O’Connor (c), D. McInerney, J. Browne; S. Morey, C. Cleary, J. Shanahan; C. Galvin, C. Malone; P. Duggan, T. Kelly, D. Reidy; P. Collins, J. Conlon, S. O’Donnell.
Subs for Clare: J. McCarthy for C. Malone (50); C. McGrath for S. O’Donnell (55); D. Corry for D. Reidy (63); I. Galvin for C. Cleary (68).

Referee: J. McGrath (Westmeath).

Munster GAA Press Release – Flares / Smoke Bombs warning

Thursday June 28th 2018

Munster GAA and the Thurles Gardai are warning supporters attending Sunday’s Munster Senior Hurling Final in Thurles that those who bring flares, smoke bombs and any other pyrotechnic devices in to the ground will be ejected and may face arrest.

John Brennan, Munster GAA Operations Manager (today) said “these devices are extremely dangerous, particularly when used in a confined space, such as a terrace with thousands of fellow supporters present. Flares can burn at a very high temperature and present a serious safety risk to those holding them and to those in the general vicinity, especially young children. Smoke bombs also burn at high temperatures and can be dangerous for those with asthma or breathing difficulties. These items are not designed for use in confined spaces and it is against ground regulations to enter the stadium and set them off.

He added “We want all supporters to enjoy the occasion in Thurles on Sunday and we ask the very small number of supporters who bring these items to games to refrain from doing so.

Ticket Information

Adult Stand Pre Purchase: €35.00
Adult Terrace Pre Purchase: €25.00
Juvenile Stand & Terrace: €5.00
Student/Senior’s will receive €10.00 concession with valid ID at the designated stile prior to entry.
Adult prices increase by €5.00 at midnight 30th of June.

Ticket Update – Munster Senior & Minor Hurling Finals
Munster GAA can confirm that a limited number of returned tickets will go on sale via and participating Centra and Supervalu Outlets (Ticketing Store Locator) from 6pm today (Wednesday) while stocks last.

Click here to buy tickets online

Team News

Clare: Donal Tuohy; Patrick O’Connor (captain), David McInerney, Jack Browne, Seadna Morey, Conor Cleary, Jamie Shanahan; Colm Galvin, Cathal Malone; Peter Duggan,Tony Kelly, David Reidy; Podge Collins, John Conlon, Shane O’Donnell.

Electric Ireland Munster GAA Hurling Minor Championship Final – Tipperary 1-20 Limerick 1-12

Tipperary defeated Limerick by 1-20 to 1-12 in the Electric Ireland Munster GAA Hurling Minor Championship Final on Sunday July 1st at Semple Stadium Thurles.

Match Highlights

Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship


Report By John Fallon for

Tipperary captured their 40th Munster minor hurling championship with a polished display against a Limerick side who had defeated them earlier in the competition.

Tipperary led by 0-12 to 0-7 at the interval and never looked in danger in the second-half as they pulled away to win their third provincial minor title in four years.

Limerick opened brightly with points from Bob Purcell and Cathal O’Neill but Tipperary took charge and hit three in just over minutes with James Devaney getting them off the mark before Sean Hayes landed two in rapid succession.

O’Neill tied the sides at 0-3 each after 12 minutes before Tipperary surged ahead with six points in a row, four of them coming from Devaney, a grandson of former Tipperary All-Ireland winner Liam Devaney.

Ryan Renehan also chipped in with a sideline and Sean Phelan scored from half-back before Cormac Ryan got Limerick’s first score in eleven minutes to make it 0-9 to 0-4 after 23 minutes.

Hayes got his third point of the half before Patrick Kirby pointed and O’Neill added a couple of frees for Limerick.

Devaney got his sixth point of the half and after O’Neill got his fourth free for Limerick, Tipperary went in leading by 0-12 o 0-7 at the interval after Cian O’Farrell scored just before the break.

Limerick, backed by the breeze, shot three wides after the restart, before O’Farrell extended Tipperary’s lead at the other end.

Ryan responded for Limerick and then Tipp goalkeeper Aaron Browne, who produced a superb save to deny Ryan in the opening half, did well to block a shot from full-forward Bob Purcell after 37 minutes.

Tipperary extended their lead to double scores with points from Kian O’Kelly, Devaney and Max Hackett to lead by 0-16 to 0-8 going into the final quarter.

Limerick responded with four points from O’Neill (2), Barry O’Connor and Cormac Ryan but Tipperary substitute Mikey O’Shea sealed the win with a goal seven minutes from time.

Limerick never gave up and Bryan Nix found the net in the closing stages when O’Neill did enough to distract Tipperary goalkeeper Browne as he tried to get a flick.

Scorers for Tipperary: James Devaney 0-8 (4f, 1 65), Mikey O’Shea 1-1, Sean Hayes 0-3, Sean Phelan 0-2, Cian O’Farrell 0-2, Kian O’Kelly 0-1, Max Hackett 0-1, Ryan Renehan 0-1 (sideline), Conor Whelan 0-1.

Scorers for Limerick: Cathal O’Neill 0-6 (5f), Bryan Nix 1-0, Cormac Ryan 0-3, Patrick Kirby 0-1, Barry O’Connor 0-1, Bob Purcell 0-1.

TIPPERARY: Aaron Browne; Kevin Hayes, Conor Whelan, Conor O’Dwyer; Sean Phelan, Fintan Purcell, Johnny Ryan; Max Hackett, John Campion; Ryan Renehan, Cian O’Farrell, Kian O’Kelly; Sean Hayes, Devon Ryan, James Devaney
Subs: Mikey O’Shea for Renehan (46), Jack Morrissey for Campion (49), Kevin Maher for Hackett (56), Billy O’Connor for D Ryan (60), Frank Hanafin for Phelan (60).

LIMERICK: Bryan Heavey; Padraig Harnett, Ben Herlihy, Michael Keane; Eoin O’Mahony, Emmet McEvoy, Jack Nicholas; Patrick Kirby;
Cathal O’Neill, Cormac Ryan, Bob Purcell; Colin Coughlan, Diarmuid Hegarty, Danny O’Leary
Subs: Bryan Nix for O’Leary (25), David Hickey for Hegarty (49), Micheal Martin for Coughlan (54), Andrew Shanahan for Nicholas (60), Cian Casey for Kirby (60).

Referee: Thomas Walsh (Waterford)

Team News