Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 Semi-Final – Galway 1-21 Limerick 1-11

Galway defeated Limerick by 1-21 to 1-11 in the Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 Semi-Final on Sunday April 16th at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Galway to contest first Allianz HL Final since 2010

Allianz Hurling League Semi-Final


Report By Declan Rooney for

Galway proved to be too strong for Limerick at the Gaelic Grounds. Three weeks ago David Burke gave a stunning display and hit six points as Galway claimed a 0-24 to 1-18 win over Limerick here. And Michael Donoghue’s side were brilliant in the second-half as they stretched clear after Conor Cooney scored a 56th minute goal.

Galway won their ninth league crown when they beat Cork 2-22 to 1-17 at Semple Stadium seven years ago. But since then they have struggled and Wexford pipped them in the race for promotion to the top tier this season. However, Galway will play in the final again and they held a 0-13 to 1-5 lead at half-time after they dominated the first-half.

Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion and Conor Cooney accounted for eight of their points in the first-half as they stretched clear of Limerick, who had William O’Donoghue to thank for keeping them in touch, he scored their goal. Cathal Mannion and Shane Dowling (free) traded early points, before Conor Cooney hit a couple of points and Cian Lynch blazed a goal chance left and wide.

The teams went point for point again before Galway gained the ascendency with points from Cathal Mannion and Conor Cooney. But when Limerick needed a goal they got it, and it was O’Donoghue who profited from the hard-work of David Dempsey, who set up the chance.

That goal meant Limerick only trailed by 0-7 to 1-3 after 20 minutes, but then Galway hit three in a row through Johnny Coen and two Joe Canning frees. Shane Dowling got Limerick’s first point since the 13th minute when he scored a free four minutes from the interval, but that was cancelled out again.

Galway hit three of the last four points in the half, and Cathal Mannion’s third score of the game left them five points ahead at the break. Limerick defeated Galway when they last won the title way back in 1997, and despite two points from Canning and David Burke, three Shane Dowling efforts and a Barry Nash score had Limerick back within three.

But that was a close as they would get as Gearoid McInerney set up Conor Cooney’s goal with 14 minutes remaining. That gave Galway a 1-15 to 1-9 lead and they flexed their muscles after that scoring six of the last eight points in the game.

Substitutes John Fitzgibbon and Nash tapped over consolation points for Limerick, but Canning scored three more, while Cathal Mannion, Conor Cooney, and Thomas Monaghan sealed the win.

Scorers for Galway: C Cooney 1-4, J Canning 0-7 (6fs), C Mannion 0-4, C Whelan 0-2, P Mannion 0-1, Johnny Coen 0-1, David Burke 0-1, Thomas Monaghan 0-1.

Scorers for Limerick: S Dowling 0-5 (4fs), W O’Donoghue 1-0, B Nash 0-2, D Dempsey 0-1, D Byrnes 0-1, C Lynch 0-1, J Fitzgibbon 0-1.

GALWAY: Colm Callanan; Adrian Tuohy, John Hanbury, Aidan Harte; Padraic Mannion, Gearoid McInerney, Daithi Burke; Johnny Coen, David Burke; Joseph Cooney, Joe Canning, Padraig Brehony; Conor Whelan, Cathal Mannion, Conor Cooney.
Subs: Thomas Monaghan for Brehony (54), Paul Killeen for Hanbury (55), Niall Burke for J Cooney (63), Jason Flynn for Whelan (66), Sean Loftus for David Burke (68).

LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid; Richie English. Richie McCarthy, Mike Casey; Diarmaid Byrnes, Declan Hannon, Seamus Hickey; Alan Dempsey, William O’Donoghue; Shane Dowling, David Dempsey; Gearoid Hegarty; Graeme Mulcahy, Kyle Hayes, Cian Lynch.
Subs: Gavin O’Mahony for Hannon (16), Sean Finn for Hickey (38), Barry Nash for Mulcahy (48), John Fitzgibbon for D Dempsey (53), James Ryan for A Demspey (53).

REFEREE: Paud O’Dwyer (Carlow).

Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 Semi-Final – Tipperary 5-18 Wexford 1-19

Tipperary defeated Wexford by 5-18 to 1-19 in the Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 Semi-Final on Sunday April 16th at Nowlan Park Kilkenny.

Five goals help Tipp through to Division 1 final with win over Wexford

Tipperary 5-18 Wexford 1-19

Report by John Fogarty for the Irish Examiner newspaper

The McGrath brothers John and Noel were the difference for Tipperary as their second-half goals sent the All-Ireland champions into a Division 1 final meeting with Galway next Sunday.

In front of over 19,000 in Nowlan Park, Tipperary found it difficult to shrug off Wexford and led by just two points up to the hour mark when Michael Ryan’s men hit an unanswered 2-4 in the space of five minutes. John McGrath found his range for the second time in the game when Dan McCormack teed him up and Noel added his second in the 64th minute when substitute John O’Dwyer picked him out.

Brendan Maher then struck for two points to put the seal on a flattering win for Tipperary although they had to do without any scored free, awarded just one for the entirety of the game.

Wexford had approximately 20 scoring opportunities in the first half which against this strong breeze was quite something. Their accuracy, though, let them down and they went in at the break 2-6 to 0-8 down. The first Tipperary goal in the sixth minute came by way of a James Breen error from a slack ball forward by Seamus Kennedy. John McGrath pounced on his error and headed towards goal before smashing a shot past Mark Fanning.

Wexford recovered and had a couple of points on the board when Noel McGrath, put through by Niall O’Meara, scored a second in the 18th minute although Breen looked to have been fouled by O’Meara in the build-up much to the ire of Davy Fitzgerald who entered the field to remonstrate with referee Diarmuid Kirwan. He then received a shoulder from Jason Forde for his troubles.

The team then exchanged points but a brace of scores, Lee Chin and David Redmond obliging, brought Wexford to within four. Seamus Callanan and Jason Forde cancelled them out but Wexford again enjoyed a good spell and would have felt they should have been closer than the four-point margin.

Scorers for Tipperary: J. McGrath, N. McGrath (2-2 each); B. Maher (1-2); M. Breen (0-4); S. Callanan (0-3, 1 65); J. Forde (0-2); P. Maher, J. O’Dwyer, D. Quinn (0-1 each).

Scorers for Wexford: C. McDonald (0-7, 6 frees); L. Chin (0-4, 1 65); D. Redmond (0-3); L. Ryan (1-0); J. O’Connor, D. O’Keeffe, P. Morris, D. Dunne, K. Foley (0-1 each).

TIPPERARY: D. Gleeson; M. Cahill, J. Barry; R. Maher; S. Kennedy, P. Maher, C. Barrett; B. Maher, J. Forde; D. McCormack, N. O’Meara, S. O’Brien; N. McGrath, S. Callanan, J. McGrath.
Subs for Tipperary: M. Breen for N. O’Meara (h-t); J. O’Dwyer for S. O’Brien (48); D. Quinn for J. Forde (65); T. Hamill for J. Barry, B. Heffernan for S. Kennedy (both 68).

WEXFORD: M. Fanning; J. Breen, L. Ryan, D. Reck; S. Murphy; W. Devereux, M. O’Hanlon (j-c), D. O’Keeffe; A. Nolan, J. O’Connor; P. Morris, D. Redmond, L. Chin (j-c); D. Dunne, C. McDonald.
Subs for Wexford: J. Guiney for D. Reck (49); H. Kehoe for D. Redmond, K. Foley for P. Morris (both 54); S. Donohue for A. Nolan (63).

Referee: D. Kirwan (Cork).