Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Tipperary 1-18 Waterford 0-15

Tipperary defeated Waterford by 1-18 to 0-15 in Round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A on Sunday February 19th at Walsh Park Waterford.

Tipperary come out on top after a dour encounter in Walsh Park

Waterford 0-15 Tipperary 1-18

Report from the Irish Examiner newspaper

This NHL Division 1A clash saw Tipperary come out on top after a dour encounter in Walsh Park, with six points to spare at the end, writes Michael Moynihan.

The 7,344 in attendance saw Waterford attack the scoreboard end in the first half, with last season’s Young Hurler and Hurler of the Year, Austin Gleeson, getting a roving commission up front though named at centre-back.

Shane McNulty of Waterford in action against Dan McCormack of Tipperary during the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A Round 2 match between Waterford and Tipperary at Walsh Park in Waterford. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile
Tipperary’s John McGrath and Waterford’s Pauric Mahony swapped frees early on as both sides got to know each other, hitting some poor wides in the process.

At the end of the first quarter the sides were level with five points apiece, neither team gaining an advantage or working a clear goal chance. McGrath and Mahony swapped frees to the break, when Jason Forde popped up with the lead score for Tipp: 0-11 to 0-10.

Tipp stretched that lead to three ten minutes into the second half, at which point the game livened up, with some hard exchanges, though Waterford struggled to make inroads on the visitors’ lead.

Steven O’Brien won a Tipp penalty on 52 minutes which Bubbles O’Dwyer took only for Ian O’Regan to save brilliantly.

Entering the final quarter another brilliant O’Regan save – from Noel McGrath – rebounded to John McGrath, whose goal made it a six point game on 57 minutes, giving Tipperary some breathing space. Try as they might, Waterford couldn’t close that gap.

Scorers for Waterford: P. Mahony (0-9, 0-8 frees); B. O’Halloran (0-2); M. Kearney, T. Devine, A. Gleeson, G. O’Brien (0-1 each).

Scorers for Tipperary: J. McGrath (1-7, 0-4 frees); J. O’Dwyer (0-3 frees)(0-4); J. Forde, S. O’Brien (0-2 each); K. Bergin, B. Maher, N. O’Meara (0-1 each).

WATERFORD: I. O’Regan, S. Fives, B. Coughlan, N. Connors, C. Gleeson, T. de Burca, S. McNulty, G. O’Brien, K. Moran, M. Kearney, P. Mahony, T. Devine, Shane Bennett, J. Dillon, A. Gleeson
Subs: D. Lyons for McNulty (43); Stephen Bennett and C. Dunford for Dillon and G. O’Brien (48); M. Shanahan for Kearney (60); B. O’Halloran for Dunford (inj., 61).

TIPPERARY: D. Mooney, D. Maher, J. Barry, J. O’Dwyer, S. Kennedy, T. Hamill, P. Maher, B. Maher, K. Bergin, D. McCormack, J. Forde, S. O’Brien, A. McCormack, J. McGrath, N. O’Meara
Subs: John O’Dwyer for A. McCormack (28); N. McGrath for Forde (50); M. Breen for Bergin (54); S. Callanan for O’Brien (57); M. Cahill for Joe O’Dwyer (65).

Referee: D. Kirwan (Cork).

AIB GAA Football All Ireland Junior Club Championship Final – Glenbeigh-Glencar (Kerry) 1-14 Rock St Patrick’s (Tyrone) 1-11

Glenbeigh-Glencar (Kerry) defeated Rock St Patrick’s (Tyrone) by 1-14 to 1-11 in the AIB GAA Football All Ireland Junior Club Championship Final on Sunday February 19th at Croke Park.

AIB All Ireland Junior Football victory for Glenbeigh-Glencar


By Paul Keane at Croke Park for

Kerry star Darran O’Sullivan led the line superbly at Croke Park with 1-3 as Glenbeigh-Glencar came out on top in a dramatic AIB All-Ireland club football final.

O’Sullivan nailed a goal after just two minutes, picked up a worrying leg injury that left him hobbling for all of the second-half and fisted over an insurance point deep into injury-time.

There was even time for the four-time All-Ireland winner with Kerry to be dismissed on a black card offence with full-time looming.

Gavan O’Grady was excellent for Glenbeigh-Glencar also and hit six points on a famous day for the club, who have kept the title in Kerry for a third consecutive season.

But it was a tense affair and just 26 players finished the game with Rock reduced to 12 men and Glenbeigh-Glencar going down to 14 following four red cards.

But Glenbeigh-Glencar will only look back with fond memories after subjecting the Tyrone champions to their second All-Ireland final defeat following a loss in 2008.

O’Sullivan’s extensive achievements with Kerry marked him out as one to watch and he delivered within seconds of the contest starting with an excellent goal.

O’Grady made the run through the centre before laying off to O’Sullivan who found space to swivel and shoot left footed to the right corner of the net.

The livewire forward, closely tracked by Aidan Girvan, escaped his man again in the ninth minute for a point to put the favourites 1-1 to 0-0 up.

Rock were the better side for the remainder of an intense and often edgy first-half and recovered to draw level at the break, 0-9 to 1-6.

It opened out in a terrific contest with Conor McCreesh displaying his full range of talents up front for Rock, kicking two points and creating several more with some clever play.

O’Grady was excellent at the other end of the field for Glenbeigh-Glencar and cut through Rock’s defence with some searing runs, helping himself to four first-half points.

Rock closed out the half strong and Girvan booted a brilliant score from the wing before an errant O’Sullivan pass led to a McGarrity point that tied it up.

Both sides finished the half with 14 men. Rock’s Enda McWilliams was first to make his exit after a second yellow card in the 22nd minute for a challenge on O’Sullivan. Glenbeigh-Glencar then lost attacker Daniel Griffin following a straight red card offence in injury-time.

There were scuffles as the sides departed the pitch for the interval and the ill temper spilled over again when O’Sullivan clashed with a Rock backroom team member in the 43rd minute.

A 49th minute Padraig Ward goal for Rock, following great work by Thomas Bloomer and Eamon Ward, put the Ulster outfit two clear, 1-10 to 1-8. But they only scored once more, a 57th minute McCreesh point, as Glenbeigh-Glencar made sure of the win with a strong finale.

That McCresh point left the scores at 1-11 apiece, but three Glenbeigh-Glencar points in a row set the seal on victory with sub Bernard Murphy, O’Sullivan and Jason McKenna all on the mark.

Rock’s afternoon ended in frustration with two more dismissals, Diarmaid Carroll and Niall Mullan joining McWilliams in leaving the fray early. O’Sullivan was also sent off, but for a black card offence deep into injury-time.

Scorers for Glenbeigh-Glencar: Gavan O’Grady 0-6 (3f), Darran O’Sullivan 1-3, Kieran Courtney 0-2, Fergal Griffin 0-1, Bernard Murphy 0-1, Jason McKenna 0-1.

Scorers for Rock St Patrick’s: Aidan McGarrity 0-5 (0-4f), Padraig Ward 1-0, Conor McCreesh 0-3, Ciaran Gourley 0-1, Diarmaid Carroll 0-1, Aidan Girvan 0-1.

GLENBEIGH-GLENCAR: Rory O’Connor; Stephen O’Sullivan, Ciaran Doyle, Jermiah Hoare; Jack Brosnan, Pa Kilkenny, Caolim Teahan; Colin McGillycuddy, Fergal Griffin; Danny O’Sullivan, Darran O’Sullivan, Tommy Cahill; Kieran Courtney, Gavan O’Grady, Daniel Griffin
Subs: Bernard Murphy for Cahill (50), Vincent Hoare for F Griffin (60), Jason McKenna for Danny O’Sullivan (60), Padraig Griffin for Darran O’Sullivan (69, black card), Donough McGillycuddy for S O’Sullivan (71).

ROCK ST PATRICK’S: Seamus Donaghy; Niall McWilliams, Niall Mullan, Mark McAleer; Cathal McWilliams, Aidan Girvan, Stephen Mullan; Ciaran Gourley, Diarmaid Carroll; Enda McWilliams, Eamon Ward, Thomas Bloomer; Conor McCreesh, Aidan McGarrity, Ryan Crilly
Subs: Padraig Ward for Mullan (19), Dylan Reid for N McWilliams (33), Liam Nugent for C McWilliams (53), C McWilliams for E Ward (65), Shea Litter for McGarrity (71).

REFEREE: Jerome Henry (Mayo).

Allianz Hurling League Division 1B – Limerick 6-21 Kerry 3-8

Limerick defeated Kerry by 6-21 to 3-8 in Round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A on Sunday February 19th at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Ronan Lynch scores 3-11 as Limerick hammer Kerry

Limerick 6-21 Kerry 3-8

Report from the Irish Examiner newspaper

Limerick hammered Kerry at the Gaelic Grounds this afternoon – but could be staring at an eighth season in Division 1B of the Allianz Hurling League, writes Jackie Cahill.

Wexford’s victory over Galway has Davy Fitzgerald’s men in the box-seat – with fellow promotion hopefuls Galway and Limerick now reliant on a slip-up from the Slaneysiders.

Wexford’s win overshadowed a decent Limerick performance this afternoon – as Ronan Lynch scored 3-11 for the hosts. In front of just 1065 spectators, Limerick began knowing that score difference could come into play at the end of the group campaign.

They did their cause no harm with a 22-point win but Wexford’s win leaves the rest playing catch-up in the race for Division 1A fare in 2018. Having lost to Wexford in their opening fixture, Limerick bounced back to claim their first victory of the campaign and it was Kerry who suffered their wrath.

Limerick beat Kerry by 4-28 to 0-16 in the Munster senior hurling League and inflicted another heavy beating on Fintan O’Connor’s visitors. Ahead by ten points at the break, Limerick kicked on in the second half, as Lynch led the way in the scoring stakes with a massive haul.

Padraig Boyle’s hat-trick of goals for Kerry proved in vain as the Kingdom suffered their first defeat of the League campaign, having claimed victory over Laois last weekend.

Limerick could only take care of their own business and that they did, despite the spirited challenge of a Kerry team that finished with 14 men, when Shane Nolan was issued with a straight red card late on.

And Lynch could have finished with 4-10 rather than 3-11, as his second half penalty struck the crossbar and went over, rather than under. But Lynch contented himself with three second half goals as Limerick eventually ran riot.

The hosts recovered from the concession of two Boyle goals to lead comfortably at half-time, 2-13 to 2-3. Boyle grabbed his first goal in the tenth minute, finishing a fine move involving Shane Nolan and Colum Harty. Limerick, playing with a slight breeze, rallied to lead by 0-7 to 1-1 before Boyle struck again eight minutes later, brilliantly fielding brother Mikey’s sideline ball before rattling a low drive into the corner of the net.

That score levelled the game at 2-1 to 0-7 but Limerick, with Seanie Tobin, Tom Morrissey and Ronan Lynch contributing all but one goal of their first half tally, won the remainder of the half by 2-6 to 0-2.

Limerick’s opening goal came in the 26th minute, as Graeme Mulcahy latched onto a precise ball from James Ryan to finish well. And Tom Morrissey’s injury-time goal increased Limerick’s advantage, before Jordan Conway and Lynch traded points.

Lynch hit the net from a 20m free to kick-start the second half goal glut and 17 minutes from time, he was credited with a scruffy effort for his second major. Kevin O’Brien’s first touch after coming on as sub saw him score Limerick’s fifth goal ten minutes from home, as Boyle replied in kind within a minute for Kerry. Eight minutes from time, Lynch rattled his penalty off the crossbar and over, after O’Brien was fouled, before the Na Piarsaigh man completed his treble in the 67th minute, again from a blistering 20m free.

Scorers for Limerick: R Lynch 3-11 (2-5f, 0-2 65s, 0-1 pen), T Morrissey 1-3, G Mulcahy 1-1, S Tobin 0-4, K O’Brien 1-0, J Ryan & A La Touche Cosgrave 0-1 each.

Scorers for Kerry: P Boyle 3-0, S Nolan 0-5f, P Kelly, J Conway & J Goulding (f) 0-1 each.

Limerick: N Quaid; S Cahill, R McCarthy, R English; C Ryan, S Hickey, D Hannon; J Fitzgibbon, J Ryan; K Hayes, T Morrissey, C Lynch; G Mulcahy, R Lynch, S Tobin
Subs: W O’Donoghue for Hayes (h.t.), D O’Donovan for C Lynch (44), P Ryan for Fitzgibbon (56), A La Touche Cosgrave for Mulcahy (56), K O’Brien for Tobin (59).

Kerry: A McCabe; B Murphy R Horgan, S Weir; P Costello, P Kelly, D Dineen; P O’Connor, C Harty; S Nolan, M Boyle, J Conway; K Carmody, P Boyle, J Goulding
Subs: J O’Connor for M Boyle (h.t.), J Buckley for Costello (55), J Wallace for Carmody (58), S Murphy for Conway (58), J Godley for Kelly (59).

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)

Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Clare 2-19 Kilkenny 0-12

Clare defeated Kilkenny by 2-19 to 0-12 in Round 2 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A on Sunday February 19th at Cusack Park Ennis.

Clare bounce back with comprehensive win against Kilkenny

Clare 2-19 Kilkenny 0-12

Report from the Irish Examiner newspaper

Aaron Shanagher was in majestic form for Clare as they made amends for their opening defeat to Cork with this comprehensive victory, writes John Fogarty.

A crowd of 7,395 watched on in Ennis as Shanagher helped ensure the home side led from start to finish on a chastening afternoon for Kilkenny who find themselves bottom of Division 1A.

Shanagher scored 1-4, his goal coming in the 64th minute to seal what had looked a Clare win from the time they strung together four unanswered points between the 52nd and 58th minutes.

Kilkenny registered just three points from play in the first half, the last of them coming in additional time when Clare backed off TJ Reid who duly split the posts. It was a rare reprieve for the Kilkenny attack who were shackled for a lot of that period. Goal chances fell to Cillian Buckley and Richie Leahy but neither came off.

Clare were 1-3 to no score up after four minutes and Shanagher was running riot. He opened the scoring then laid on Aaron Cunningham’s goal and followed it up with another beautifully-angled point.

Shanagher then won a free which David Reidy converted and Reidy was on hand again in the 10th minute when Shanagher’s shot was parried out for a 65 by Eoin Murphy. Reidy once more punished a foul on Shanagher in the 14th minute.

Kilkenny were keeping in touching via frees but were finding the physically-imposing half-back line of Clare’s difficult to break down. Murphy made a fine save from Reidy in the 28th minute and when the Kilkenny goalkeeper landed a monster free in the 31st minute Podge Collins cancelled it out seconds later.

Scorers for Clare: D. Reidy (0-7, 5 frees, 1 65); A. Shanagher (1-4, 0-1 free); A. Cunningham (1-0); P. Collins, C. McInerney (0-2 each); D. Fitzgerald, J. Conlon, J. McCarthy, P. Duggan (65) (0-1 each).

Scorers for Kilkenny: T.J. Reid (0-7, 4 frees, 2 65s); C. Fogarty (0-2), E. Murphy (free), C. Buckley, R. Leahy (0-1 each).

CLARE: D. Tuohy; S. Morey, C. Dillon (c), O. O’Brien; B. Bugler, C. Cleary, D. Fitzgerald; J. Shanahan, D. Reidy; J. Conlon, P. Collins, C. Malone; S. O’Donnell, A. Cunningham, A. Shanagher
Subs for Clare: C. McInerney for A. Cunningham (52); J. McCarthy for D. Reidy (57); P. Duggan for C. Malone, S. Golden for J. Shanahan (both 67); P. Donnellan for B. Bugler (70+1).

KILKENNY: E. Murphy; E. Cody, P. Walsh, C. O’Shea; J. Holden, P. Murphy, K. Joyce; C. Fogarty, C. Buckley; L. Blanchfield, T.J. Reid, R. Leahy; R. Hogan, W. Walsh, K. Kelly
Subs for Kilkenny: R. Lennon for J. Holden (temp 18-23); J.J. Farrell for W. Walsh (inj), S. Prendergast for E. Cody (both h-t); J. Maher for R. Hogan (49); O. Walsh for K. Kelly (58); S. Morrissey for L. Blanchfield (68).

Referee: J. Owens (Wexford).