Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Galway 2-12 Cork 2-12

Galway 2-12 Cork 2-12

Report from the web site

A Paudie O’Sullivan goal ten minutes from time clinched a draw for Cork at Pearse Stadium, as Galway remain at the foot of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A table with one game remaining. Cork led by 1-7 to 1-6 at half-time after goals from Davy Glennon for the home side and an Anthony Nash penalty. Galway looked in total control when Cyril Donnellan hit the net from close range in the 51st minute, but O’Sullivan’s goal and two frees from Cian McCarthy earned the Rebels a share of the spoils. Galway looked lively early on as Joe Canning hit an early free and a point from play to give his side an early cushion.

But Jimmy Barry-Murphy’s side went on to hit four of the next five points as Patrick Hogan, Paudie O’Sullivan, and the very impressive Lorcan McLoughlin all got in on the act. However, after they had edged ahead 0-04 to 0-03, Cork were struck with a severe blow when Glennon goaled for the Tribesmen in the 21st minute, with his crisp, low shot leaving Anthony Nash with no chance. McLoughlin hit a lovely point over his shoulder to reignite the Cork challenge, but with his injury and suspension woes behind him, Donnellan hit a sweet point of his own from the right wing to give Galway the two point lead once again.

A pair of Canning frees gave Galway a decent lead approaching the break, but Nash crashed a penalty past Colm Callanan after Fergal Moore was harshly adjudged to have fouled Luke O’Farrell a minute from the break. Donnellan and Canning had edged Galway ahead again by the 50th minute and a minute later the Tribesmen looked in total control when Donnellan hit the net after he fielded an arrowed cross from Davy Glennon at the edge of the square. But Cork were not to be denied at least a point from their trip to Salthill and after Cian McCarthy hit a free and substitute Stephen Moylan chased it with a good point from play, O’Sullivan hit the crucial score.

Galway: C Calanan; F Moore, K Hynes, J Coen; A Harte, D Collins, N Donoghue; I Tannian, A Smith; J Cooney, J Canning (0-10, 0-07f, 0-01sl), J Glynn; C Donnellan (1-02), D Hayes, D Glennon (1-00).

Subs: T Haran for Glennon (65), B Flaherty for Smith (68)

Cork: A Nash; S O’Neill, B Murphy, C O’Sullivan; C Joyce, P Cronin (0-01), W Egan (0-01); T Kenny, L McLoughlin (0-03); C Lehane (0-01), P O’Sullivan (1-01), S Harnedy; A Mannix, L O’Farrell (0-01), P Horgan (0-01, 0-01f).

Subs: C McCarthy (0-02, 0-02f) for Harnedy (h-t), M Cussen for Horgan (45), S Moylan (0-01) for Mannix (53), F O’Leary for Lehane (62), S White for Egan (65)


Allianz Football League Division 4 – Clare 1-12 Carlow 0-9

Clare defeated Carlow by 1-12 to 0-9 in the Allianz Football League Division 4 Round 6 on Sunday in Dr. Cullen Park Carlow.


Allianz Hurling League Division 1B – Limerick 0-21 Offaly 3-8

Offaly 3-08 Limerick 0-21

Report from the web site

Limerick beat Offaly 0-21 to 3-08 in their NHL Division 1B tie in O’Connor, but only their inability to take their goal chances prevented this being a far more comfortable success. Offaly burst out of the traps and two Shane Dooley goals put them 2-3 to 0-1 in front after ten minutes, but they failed to build on that lead and only led by five at half time, 2-07 to 0-08. Once Limerick had the use of the stiff breeze in the second half they dominated the game and only a Colin Egan goal kept Offaly in the tie up until injury time, when Kevin Downes made Limerick’s victory safe with the final point of the match.

Dublin’s win over Wexford at Wexford Park means that unless Carlow beat Dublin next week in the final round of games and Offaly beat Antrim by a large margin, the NHL 1B final will be contested by Dublin and Limerick. Offaly can have little complaint with being frozen out of the picture after they failed to make any impression when hurling into the wind in the second half. Shane Dooley’s 70th-minute free to bring them back within a goal was their first point of the second half and Ollie Baker will be extremely worried about his team’s inability to win possession in the Limerick half of the field. Only Shane Dooley scored more than once for the team, while it wasn’t as if they missed chances either – they shot just one wide in the second half and five overall.

For John Allen and his Limerick management team, there are some areas that will cause him concern but overall they’ll be happy with their team’s performance. Some poor free-taking from Declan Hannon and two outstanding saves from James Dempsey ensured that they didn’t trouble the scoreboard operator as much as he would have liked, but defensively they were outstanding and they gave Offaly little or no chance to break the momentum in the second half.

Graeme Mulcahy opened the scoring for the Shannonsiders but Offaly hit their stride quickly, Shane Dooley striking three points and then hitting the net from a penalty. Dooley was fouled to draw the decision from Alan Kelly, Shane O’Neill the man who was deemed to have pulled him down as they contested a high ball from Séan Ryan. Limerick looked to hit back immediately but James Dempsey produced an outstanding save to deny Conor Allis in the ninth minute. Offaly went right back down the field and goaled again, Dooley the finisher once more after Richie McCarthy failed to control a loose ball on the edge of the square. Two Seamus Hickey points either side of a close-range score from Cathal Parlon kept Limerick in touch and, when Offaly needed to build a lead to defend in the second half, they struggled to create clearcut chances.

The home side led by 2-07 to 0-05 after Dooley pointed a free in the 24th minute but they were to go another 46 minutes before raising a white flag, while Limerick tacked on three fine points before the break, the pick of which was a stunning effort by Kevin Downes from out on the left touchline. Poor free-taking prevented Limerick from reeling Offaly in as quick as they would have liked but they did pick off some fine scores from long-range early in the second half. Midfielder Paul Browne and half backs Wayne McNamara and Gavin O’Mahoney all got on the scoresheet before Graeme Mulcahy gave his side the lead in the 50th minute, 0-14 to 2-07. Their lead was short lived, however, as Offaly substitute James Mulrooney made an immediate impact, winning a ball at full-forward before darting around Richie McCarthy and towards goal.

Mulrooney lobbed the ball across the goals and into the path of Colin Egan, who swept the sliothar into the net. Limerick’s dominance at half back and midfield continued unabated, despite this setback, and with Kevin Downes and Graeme Mulcahy both in fine scoring form, they took the lead again with ten minutes to go. That lead was extended to four points before Dooley pointed a free in the 70th minute to leave Offaly supporters with some hope of robbing a draw that they didn’t deserve. But Kevin Downes produced a fine point on the turn in injury-time to give them breathing room and make their victory safe.

Offaly: J Dempsey; C McDonald, D Kenny, P Cleary; D Morkan, R Hanniffy, K Brady; C Slevin, B Carroll (0-01); C Egan (1-00), C Mahon, S Ryan; S Dooley (2-06, 1-00 pen, 0-04f), C Parlon (0-01), T Carroll.

Subs: J Mulrooney for C Parlon (47 mins), G Healion for Ryan (60), T Bolger for Carroll (66), D Mooney for Slevin (66)

Limerick: N Quaid; A Dempsey, R Dempsey, S O’Neill; P O’Brien, W McNamara (0-01), G O’Mahoney (0-01); P Browne (0-02), J Ryan; D Breen, S Hickey (0-02), C Allis (0-04, 0-02f); K Downes (0-03), D Hannon (0-04, frees), G Mulcahy (0-04).

Subs: M Carmody for O’Neill (27 mins), T Quaid for Breen (66)

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)

Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Kilkenny 3-10 Clare 1-15

Clare 1-15 Kilkenny 3-10

Report from the web site

Clare lost a golden chance to reach the knockout stages of the Allianz Hurling League as they were beaten 3-10 to 1-15 by an injury-ravaged Kilkenny side at Cusack Park. 16 wides diluted Clare’s scoring potential as Aidan Fogarty, Ger Aylward and Lester Ryan grabbed goals for the All-Ireland champions with Colin Ryan hitting 11 points for the Banner men. The result keeps the Cats well in the hunt for a semi-final spot despite two opening round defeats.

The piercing cold in Ennis did not dissuade a considerable crowd in their interest in this hard-hitting Division 1A tie. Level on six separate occasions in the first half, the sides were separated by a brilliantly-executed goal by Lester Ryan just before half-time. Kilkenny, missing many of the All-Ireland winning team including their entire full-back line, were quick of the mark through Richie Hogan before Clare responded. The first goal of the match was sent to the net by Colm Galvin with Ger Aylward matching this two minutes later. The remainder of the first half was nip and tuck with both sides unlucky not to add to their goal tally. Free-taker Colin Ryan was the scorer-in-chief for Davy Fitzgerald’s men who managed just 1-05 from play over the game. Brian Hogan was imperious at centre-back for Kilkenny and Conor Fogarty also impressed in the opening half for the visitors. Shane O’Donnell was causing numerous problems for Kilkenny but his colleagues in the forward division were unable to finish his good build-up work. He won a number of frees converted by Ryan.

At the interval, Kilkenny would have been more than satisfied to hold a 2-07 to 1-07 lead after playing well below par. Clare squandered numerous scoring chances early in the second half despite ample possession, before Colin Ryan pointed a welcome free. O’Donnell was the key forward causing trouble for the Kilkenny rearguard, winning frees and setting up colleagues. The first Kilkenny score of the second half did not materialise until Aidan Fogarty’s 50th-minute goal. Tony Kelly and Ryan (0-02f) left the minimum between the sides with 15 minutes remaining.

Kilkenny managed only 1-03 in the second half with their three points coming from Eoin Larkin placed balls between the 58th and 64th minutes. This left Clare chasing a three-point deficit for the remainder of the game. However, despite incessant pressure by the home side, the Kilkenny defence stood firm and conceded just three points from Ryan (0-02) and Darach Honan. In the final analysis, Clare will bemoan those 16 wides, with twelve of them coming in the second half. The threat around the Clare goal posed by Kilkenny proved the difference come the final whistle, much to the bitter disappointment of the home support.

CLARE: Patrick Kelly; Domhnall O’Donovan, David McInerney, Seadna Morey; Brendan Bugler, Patrick Donnellan, Patrick O’Connor; Conor Ryan, Nicky O’Connell; Colm Galvin (1-00), Tony Kelly (0-01), Colin Ryan (0-11, 0-10f); Fergal Lynch, Shane O’Donnell (0-01), John Conlon (0-01).

Subs used: Enda Barrett for McInerney, Darach Honan (0-01) for Lynch.

KILKENNY: Eoin Murphy; Paddy Hogan, Kieran Joyce, Conor Fogarty; Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan, Padraig Walsh; Lester Ryan (1-01), Michael Fennelly; Michael Rice, Richie Power, Eoin Larkin (0-05, 0-04f, 0-01 ’65’); Ger Aylward (1-01), Richie Hogan (0-01), Aidan Fogarty (1-02).

Subs used: Colin Fennelly for Rice, Walter Walsh for Power, Matthew Ruth for Aylward.

Referee: Anthony Stapleton (Laois)

Allianz Football League Division 4 – Tipperary 2-15 Leitrim 0-14

Grogan haul puts Tipp back in promotion hunt


By Jackie Cahill for the Irish Indepedent newspaper

BARRY Grogan notched 2-3 against Leitrim at Semple Stadium as Tipp claimed a fourth successive win. Tipperary’s latest success leaves them very much in the hunt for promotion – with the scene now set for a dramatic showdown with Offaly on Sunday week. Grogan netted in the ninth minute and again in the first minute of stoppage-time at the end of the half as Tipp led by 2-10 to 0-4 at the break. With Emlyn Mulligan to the fore, Leitrim improved significantly in the second half, outscoring Tipp by 0-10 to 0-5, but the hosts were never in real danger and held on comfortably.

Man of the match: B Grogan (Tipperary)

Scorers – Tipperary: B Grogan 2-3 (1f, 1 ’45’), A Maloney 0-4 (2f), P Acheson, M Quinlivan 0-2 each, P Codd, B Fox, C Sweeney, A Matassa 0-1 each. Leitrim: E Mulligan 0-6 (3f), C Beirne 0-2f, T Beirne, P Brennan, G Hickey, R Cox, C Clarke, S McWeeney 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY – P Fitzgerald 7; J Coghlan 7, P Codd 8, C McDonald 9; B Fox 8, R Costigan 7, D Leahy 7; P Acheson 8, G Hannigan 7; C Sweeney 7, H Coghlan 7, A Matassa 7; M Quinlivan 8, B Grogan 9, A Maloney 8. Subs: D Lynch 6 for Leahy (42), B Mulvihill 6 for Quinlivan (53), D Lowry 6 for Matassa (54), B O’Brien 6 for Grogan (62), R Kiely for McDonald (66).

LEITRIM – B Flynn 6; G Reynolds 6, C Egan 6, P Maguire 6; P Brennan 6, E Williams 5, D Beck 6; B Brennan 6, T Beirne 6; B McDonald 6, E Mulligan 7, G Hickey 6; J Glancy 6, C Beirne 6, R Cox 6. Subs: F McMorrow 6 for Williams (32), S McWeeney 6 for McDonald (h-t), P McGowan 5 for Beck (54), C Clarke for Reynolds (59).

Ref – L Devanney (Mayo)

Team News

The Tipperary senior football team to play Leitrim in the Allianz Football League on Sunday is as follows:

1. Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard)

2. John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy)

3. Paddy Codd (Killenaule) Captain

4. Ciaran McDonald (Aherlow)

5. Brian Fox (Eire Og Annacarty)

6. Robbie Costigan (Cahir)

7. Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers)

8. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)

9. George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)

10. Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)

11. Hugh Coghlan (Portlaoise, Laois)

12. Aldo Matassa (Clonmel Commercials)

13. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)

14. Barry Grogan (Aherlow)

15. Alan Maloney (Rockwell Rovers)

Allianz Football League Division 1 – Kerry 0-11 Cork 0-7

Kerry 0-11 Cork 0-07

Report from the web site

Kerry made it back-to-back wins in Allianz Football League Division 1 by seeing off arch rivals Cork by 0-11 to 0-07 in Tralee. A blustery wind dominated proceedings in the first half, with free-taker Johnny Buckley edging Kerry into a 0-04 to 0-03 interval lead. Semi-final hopefuls Cork stayed in the hunt until Kerry went on a five-point scoring run, aided by substitutes Colm Cooper and Paul Galvin. Mark Griffin impressed at full-back for the Kingdom, with Buckley scoring 0-06.

Cork, missing cruciate injury victim Colm O’Neill, made two late changes with John McLoughlin and Alan O’Connor replacing Eoin O’Mahony and Graham Canty. Andrew O’Sullivan clipped over the opening point after initial wides from Anthony Maher and Paudie Kissane, with a swirling wind proving problematic for both sides. Buckley, having missed his first free, made no mistake with the second in the eighth minute as Kerry sought to break down the swarming Cork defence.

The Rebels retook the lead courtesy of an Aidan Walsh effort, with Daniel Goulding, making his first start of the season, involved in the build-up. The strong-running Walsh missed out on a goal soon after, his powerful shot being directed wide by Griffin’s outstretched leg. Kerry were creating more scoring changes, but Darran O’Sullivan shot their fourth wide, and target man Kieran Donaghy was being crowded out. Kerry’s captain for the day, Kieran O’Leary, was brought down for a free which Buckley stuck over for a 0-02 apiece scoreline in the 18th minute.

Missed frees from Aidan Walsh and Buckley followed, before Fintan Goold struck a superb left-footed point for Cork’s third score from play, but it proved to be their last of the half. Buckley judged the wind impressively to float over his third pointed free, and two minutes later Anthony Maher finally opened Kerry’s account from play. Kerry had opportunities to add to their advantage, but Declan O’Sullivan was wayward from a difficult free and Jonathan Lyne had a point attempt blocked.

The performance of St. Michael’s/Foilmore clubman Griffin at full-back was a huge plus for Kerry. He was assured in dealing with the threat of Barry O’Driscoll and proved himself an able deputy for the injured Aidan O’Mahony. But Kerry’s low-scoring rate – a feature throughout their previous league games – continued to be a concern for manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice until that match-winning spell in the second period. He will have been pleased to see Buckley make it 0-05 to 0-03 on the restart, the Dr. Crokes clubman lobbing over his fourth free. Both Fitzmaurice and Cork counterpart Conor Counihan kept their teams in for longer than usual at half-time, leading to referee Cormac Reilly demanding their returns.

Goold got Cork back in scoring form, doubling his tally after Donaghy and Darran O’Sullivan had failed to convert at the other end. Buckley answered back with a free from the hands, after Donnchadh Walsh drew a foul, and as the tempo increased in cold conditions Tomás Clancy added his name to the Cork scoresheet. Kerry had a near miss when Paul Kerrigan rattled the crossbar, but the momentum was with the Kingdom over the next five to ten minutes.

Killian Young drove forward for a point and skipper O’Leary became the first Kerry forward to score from play in the 52nd minute. The timely introductions of Colm ‘Gooch’ Cooper and Paul Galvin boosted the hosts further. A punched point from Galvin, following on from Buckley’s sixth pointed free, quickly made it 0-10 to 0-05 and Cork, now looking sluggish, seemed rudderless. Cooper, playing on the forty, was showing some excellent distribution skills and he played in Donaghy for Kerry’s eleventh and final point. It was turgid fare at times but Kerry showed more quality when it mattered most and Barry O’Driscoll’s two late frees, either side of a dust-up between the players, were mere consolation scores.

KERRY: Brendan Kealy; Marc Ó Sé, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright; Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Young (0-01), Brian McGuire; Anthony Maher (0-01), Johnny Buckley (0-06, 0-06f); Jonathan Lyne, Donnchadh Walsh, Kieran O’Leary (0-01); Declan O’Sullivan, Kieran Donaghy (0-01), Darran O’Sullivan.

Subs used: Paul Galvin (0-01) for O’Leary, Colm Cooper for Walsh (both 52 mins), James O’Donoghue for Darran O’Sullivan (60), Fionn Fitzgerald for Lyne (63), Peter Crowley for Tomás Ó Sé (68).

CORK: Ken O’Halloran; Michael Shields, John McLoughlin, Jamie O’Sullivan; Paudie Kissane, Noel O’Leary, Tomás Clancy (0-02); Aidan Walsh (0-01), Alan O’Connor; Fintan Goold (0-01), Mark Collins, Andrew O’Sullivan (0-01); Daniel Goulding, Barry O’Driscoll (0-02, 0-02f), Paul Kerrigan.

Subs used: Pearse O’Neill for O’Connor (half-time), Liam Shorten for Goulding (51 mins), Brian Shanahan for O’Leary (59), James Fitzpatrick for Kerrigan (63), Denis Crowley for Collins (68)

Team News

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Cork in Round 6 of the Allianz Football League in Austin Stack Park Tralee on Sunday evening next shows 3 changes from the team that started in Round 5 against Down. Mark Griffin comes in at full back for the injured Aidan O’Mahony, Tomás Ó Sé resumes in the half back line, having served a one match suspension, to the exclusion of Fionn Fitzgerald and Kieran O’Leary, who will captain the side, comes into the half forward line instead of clubmate Eoin Brosnan.

The team in full is:

1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

2. Marc Ó Sé An Gaeltacht

3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilemore

4. Shane Enright Tarbert

5. Tomás Ó Sé An Gaeltacht

6. Killian Young Renard

7. Brian McGuire Listowel Emmetts

8. Anthony Maher Duagh

9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

10. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion

11. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane

12. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes (Capt)

13. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses

14. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks

15. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh/Glencar

16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion

17. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes

18. Paul Galvin Finuge

19. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

20. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

21. Patrick Curtin Moyvane

22. Jack Sherwood Firies

23. Michael Geaney Dingle

24. Michael O’Donoghue Spa

25. Bryan Sheehan St Marys

26. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes

The team features 9 of the side defeated by Donegal (1-12 to 1-10) in the All Ireland Qtr Finals last August while another 4 are listed among the subs. (Aidan O’Mahony and Eoin Brosnan are the absent two).

The following players are unavailable for Selection due to injury:

Paul Geaney Rehabbing Hamstring injury

Aidan O’Mahony Recovering from ankle injury


Eoin Brosnan – Weekend off

David Moran County League with Club

James Walsh County League with Club

Mark Griffin from the St Michaels Foilemore Club in South Kerry makes his full AFL debut having come in as an early sub for the injured Aidan O’Mahony last weekend against Down. The 22 year old won a Hogan Cup Medal with Colaiste na Sceillige in 2009 when Jack O’Connor managed the side and the same year he won a Munster Minor medal with Kerry and also an All Ireland Intermediate Club title with his Club (came on as a sub in the semi final). He was a member of the Under 21 team for the past 2 years (2011 & 2012).

There has been some confusion, and not for the first time, re correct spelling of Brian McGuire’s surname – I can confirm that it is McGuire!


Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Waterford 1-14 Tipperary 0-16

Tipperary shaken as Moran caps stirring comeback

Report by Liam Kelly for the Irish Independent newspaper

WATCHING the closing stages of this keenly-fought contest at Walsh Park brought to mind an epic scene in the James Bond film ‘Goldfinger.’ Bond is strapped down on a plinth; a deadly laser beam cuts through metal en route to his nether regions. Surely there is no escape? “Do you expect me to talk?” asks Bond, a tad anxiously. “No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die,” says Goldfinger.

That was the position in which the Deise found themselves in the second half yesterday. The Tipp laser-beam was manifest in the form of score-hungry Seamus Callanan, with 10 points to his credit. Waterford were reeling after a reinvigorated Tipp set about them and built up a 0-16 to 1-10 lead with 16 minutes left for play. Surely it was time for the home side to wilt and die? But no. Doggedly defiant, Waterford found the hero within themselves to claw their way past survival level into the winner’s enclosure. And, just like a good Bond movie, they did it the hard way. Only a few minutes remained to play, with Waterford two points adrift at 1-11 to 0-16 when their second-half free-taker Pauric Mahony, hitherto excellent, missed chances from a free and a ’65’.

Agony! Then hope, with a 68th-minute score by Jamie Barron. Joy and relief followed with Jake Dillon’s equalising score at the end of normal time. Surely that would do it? But no, there was still a cameo to be played by James Bond, aka Kevin Moran, the Deise captain. Twisting and turning as he tried to evade desperate challenges by three Tipp men, Moran somehow found the angle and a bit of space to have a shot from over 40 metres out near the sideline. Wouldn’t you know, the sliotar soared high, and on target… and dropped over the bar. What a moment for the Waterford contingent.

As for Moran, he felt relief and happiness for the team. “It was a bit of a hit-and-hope shot. It was lucky enough I suppose but we’ll take it because I think in the last 15 minutes we deserved to get something out of the game,” he said. His manager Michael Ryan commented: “I’m delighted for the guys. It’s all about the players. The last five or six minutes epitomised the way this team has worked all year – the guts, the heart, the commitment, and the fight. “We spoke at half-time about a couple of things. Number one, the wind wasn’t going to win it for us, and number two, we’d have to keep plugging away,” he said.

Tipperary manager Eamon O’Shea reflected on the lost opportunity to garner vital league points in a closely contested Division 1A. “We just didn’t hold it together till the end but I thought the team really battled hard,” he said. “I’m proud of the lads for their second-half performance. Certainly we just couldn’t seem to get our hand on the ball in the last few minutes, but they (Waterford) were fully deserving of getting something out of the game.”

The big wind which favoured Tipp in the first half could have been a serious problem for Waterford but they dealt very well with the conditions. Excellently marshalled by Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh at centre-back and with skipper Moran equally impressive, the Deise men did their best to keep the passing close and tight. Callanan was clearly on form for Tipp, mixing his scores from placed-balls with nicely taken points from play over the course of the game. Lar Corbett didn’t impose himself but that’s also partly due to the Waterford defence.

Still, Tipp were motoring comfortably in a low-scoring opening quarter at 0-4 to 0-1 when they were rocked on their heels by a Waterford goal. The lively Barron, making his league debut, finished off a move involving Seamus Prendergast and Maurice Shanahan to power the sliotar to the Tipp net. A tonic for the Deise, a setback for Tipp, but the latter rallied and led by 0-9 to 1-3 with eight minutes left to play in the first half. Credit to Waterford, they gouged out three hard-earned points – one by Jake Dillon, and two from first-half free-taker Martin O’Neill, to go into the interval level at 1-6 to Tipp’s 0-9.

Tipperary’s introduction of Brendan Maher and Eoin Kelly brought a new impetus to their efforts in the second half. They upped their intensity and had a new drive about them, which Waterford took almost 20 minutes to match. But, once they got their mojo flowing, Waterford got themselves into a ‘no surrender’ mood that brought them their late reward. They can be grateful for the two free-takers, O’Neill and Mahony, who each scored four points, and for the showings of Liam Lawlor, Shane Fives, Jamie Nagle, Jake Dillon, and Barron. Tipp’s half-backs Conor O’Brien, Tom Stapleton and Padraic Maher were solid in defence and in launching attacks for most of the game, while Shane McGrath, Brian O’ Meara, Brendan Maher and Callanan performed well.

Man of the match: M Walsh (Waterford)

Scorers – Waterford: M O’Neill, P Mahony 0-4fs each; J Barron 1-1, J Dillon 0-2, B O’Halloran, M Shanahan, K Moran 0-1 each. Tipperary: S Callanan 0-10 (4fs, ’65’); B O’Meara 0-2; S Bourke, S McGrath, N McGrath, L Corbett 0-1 each

Waterford – I O’Regan 7; S Fives 7, L Lawlor 7, S Daniels 7; J Nagle 7, M Walsh 8, K Moran 7; S O’Sullivan 7, P Prendergast 7; B O’Halloran 7, S Prendergast 7, M Shanahan 7; J Dillon 7, M O’Neill 7, J Barron 7. Subs: P Mahony 7 for M O’Neill (h-t), B O’Sullivan 6 for M Shanahan (59), D Fives for B O’Halloran (65).

Tipperary – B Cummins 7; D Maher 7, P Curran 7, M Cahill 7; C O’Brien 7, T Stapleton 7, P Maher 7; J Woodlock 7, S McGrath 7; B O’Meara 7, N McGrath 6, A Ryan 6; S Bourke 7, S Callanan 8, L Corbett 6. Subs: B Maher 7 for N McGrath (h-t); E Kelly for A Ryan 6 (h-t); J O’Dwyer 6 for S Bourke (49); P Bourke 6 for J Woodlock (61); J Forde for B O’Meara (67).

Ref – C McAllister (Cork)


Waterford 1-14 Tipperary 0-16

Report from the web site

Kevin Moran’s injury-time point gave Waterford a dramatic 1-14 to 0-16 win over Tipperary at Walsh Park in the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A. Tipp’s Seamus Callanan, who scored 0-10, started sharply yet Jamie Barron’s 18th-minute goal kept the hosts in the hunt and it was 1-06 to 0-09 at half-time. Callanan helped Tipp, who benefited from a strong bench, lead by five points with 12 minutes remaining. But Pauric Mahony’s free-taking reduced the arrears and points from Barron and Jake Dillon set up an exciting finish.

Wind-assisted Tipperary started brightly and led by 0-04 to 0-01 after 15 minutes. Michael Walsh was holding firm at centre-back and he dragged the home side back into the contest. On 18 minutes, Maurice Shanahan set up Jamie Barron who drove a low shot across Brendan Cummins and into the corner of the net for the game’s only goal. Martin O’Neill followed that up with a free to put Waterford ahead. With Callanan looking threatening, Tipp regained control and opened up a three-point gap. Waterford finished the half strongly, however, and a Jake Dillon point from play along with a pair of Martin O’Neill frees left the sides level at the interval.

Tipp manager Eamonn O’Shea made a double switch at the break and the Premier County came out with intent. Three Callanan frees gave them a healthy advantage at an early stage of the half and they pressed home their superiority. Lar Corbett and Brian O’Meara added points before Callanan struck over his tenth of the afternoon to put Tipp 0-16 to 1-08 ahead in sight of the hour mark. Waterford dug in however and Michael Walsh led a strong defensive effort in the closing stages to shut down that lively Tipp attack.

Their pace at the other end drew a succession of frees and substitute Pauric Mahony converted three in-a-row to give them hope. In the final minute of normal time, Barron scored from an acute and Dillon tagged on another to set up that pulsating finale. A Corbett effort fell short before Waterford launched one last attack. Urged on by a vocal home support, they laid siege to Cummins goal. In the first minute of injury-time, Moran seized possession 65 metres out and from the stand sideline, he split the posts to decide the game and send the Déise followers away in upbeat mood.

WATERFORD: I O’Regan; S Fives, L Lawlor, S Daniels; J Nagle, M Walsh, K Moran (0-01); S O’Sullivan, P Prendergast; B O’Halloran (0-01), S Prendergast, M Shanahan (0-01); J Dillon (0-02), M O’Neill (0-04, 0-04f), J Barron (1-01).

Subs used: P Mahony (0-04, 0-04f) for O’Neill (55 mins), B O’Sullivan for Shanahan (59), D Fives for O’Halloran (65).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; D Maher, P Curran, M Cahill; C O’Brien, T Stapleton, P Maher; J Woodlock, S McGrath (0-01); B O’Meara (0-02), N McGrath (0-01), A Ryan; S Bourke (0-01), S Callanan (0-10, 0-04f, 0-01 ’65’), L Corbett (0-01).

Subs used: E Kelly for Ryan, B Maher for N McGrath (both half-time), J O’Dwyer for S Bourke (49 mins), P Bourke for Woodlock (62), J Forde for O’Meara (67).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork)

Team News

The Tipperary SH team to play Waterford in the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday shows 6 changes from the team which started in last Sunday’s game against Galway. Brendan Cummins, Donagh Maher, Thomas Stapleton, Brian O’Meara, Noel McGrath and Adrian Ryan start in place of Darren Gleeson, Paddy Stapleton, Conor O’Mahony, Brendan Maher, John O’Brien and John O’Dwyer.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Donagh Maher (Burgess)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. Conor O’Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)

6. Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)

7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

8. James Woodlock (Drom and Inch)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch) CAPTAIN

10. Brian O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

12. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

13. Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)

14. Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)

15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

The Waterford Senior Hurling team to play Tipperary is as follows –

1. Ian O’Regan MountSion

2. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill

3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater

4. Stephen Daniels De La Salle

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

6. Michael Walsh Stradbally

7. Kevin Moran (CAPT.) De La Salle

8. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner

9. Paudie Prendergast Lismore

10. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore

12. Maurice Shanahan Lismore

13 Jake Dillon De La Salle

14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater

15. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater

Allianz Football League Division 4 – Limerick 1-9 London 1-8

London fuming after Gottsche miss

Report from the Irish Independent newspaper


LIMERICK got their promotion bid back on track with a controversial one-point victory over a terribly unlucky London at Ruislip. The Shannonsiders led by six points with 10 minutes remaining but they were forced to withstand a late rally from the home side, who reduced arrears to the minimum in the dying moments but just ran out of time. The Exiles were fuming with referee Ray McBrien after he forced Mark Gottsche to retake a ’45’ in the final minute of normal time, the forward having converted his first attempt. Gottsche was off target with his second effort and it proved a crucial decision.

Such a tight finish didn’t seem likely after Maurice Horan’s side burst out of the traps, hitting an unanswered 1-4 in the opening 14 minutes with the lively John Riordan hammering home a well-taken goal. London were given hope in first-half injury-time with a penalty, converted by Lloyd Colfer to leave London trailing 1-7 to 1-2 at the interval. The home side finished the match strongly and hit the final five scores, only to fall narrowly short.

Man of the match: S Hannon (London)

SCORERS – Limerick: J Riordan 1-1, I Ryan 0-4 (4fs), E O’Connor 0-3, G Collins 0-1. London: L Colfer 1-2 (1-0 pen), E O’Neill 0-3 (2fs), M Gottsche 0-2 (1f), S Kelly 0-1.

LIMERICK – D O’Sullivan 7; D Quaid 6, J McCarthy 6, M O’Riordan 6; L O’Dwyer 7, P Browne 6, P Ranahan 7; T Lee 7, B O’Brien 6; S Lavin 7, S Buckley 7, J Riordan 7; E O’Connor 8, G Collins 6, I Ryan 7. Subs: M Sheehan 5 for Quaid (35), D O’Connor 6 for Buckley (59), J Galvin 6 for O’Brien (66).

LONDON – G McEvoy 7; S Mulligan 6, S Curran 7, D McGreevy 7; S Hannon 8, E McConville 7, D Ryan 6; C Doyle 7, G Crowley 7; T Gaughan 6, L Colfer 7, C McCallion 6; S Kelly 7, C Magee 6, M Gottsche 8. Subs: A McTigue 6 for McCallion (30), D O’Neill 7 for Ryan (h-t), L Mulvey 7 for Gaughan (48), E O’Neill 7 for Colfer (59).

REF – R McBrien (Leitrim)

Team News

The Limerick team to play London is as follows –

1. Donal O’Sullivan

2. Damian Quaid

3. Johnny McCarthy

4. Mark O’Riordan

5. Lorcan O’Dwyer

6. Paudie Browne

7. Pa Ranahan

8. Thomas Lee

9. Bobby O’Brien

10. Stephen Lavin

11. Seanie Buckley Captain.

12. John Riordan

13. Eoghan O’Connor

14. Ger Collins

15. Ian Ryan

Allianz Football League Division 4 – Offaly 2-15 Waterford 1-11

Offaly set up showdown with Tipperary after seeing off Waterford

Report from the Offaly Express newspaper

Allianz NFL Division 4

Waterford 1-11 Offaly 2-15

FOR the second year in a row Offaly will have a showdown with Tipperary in their final game of the league after Emmet McDonnell’s side saw off the challenge of Waterford in Carriganore on Sunday. Last year Offaly went into their final game in Division 3 against an already relegated Tipperary needing a win to avoid following the Premier County into Division 4. Ultimately Offaly lost that game in Clonmel which saw them drop to the bottom tier but on Sunday week in Tullamore they will have the chance for revenge as the winner of the game will secure promotion to Division 3 and a place in the league final with a draw being enough for Tipperary.

After a shaky start, Offaly have now put three wins back to back and their latest victory away to a spirited Waterford side was again thanks to late goals with Brian Connor and Graham Guilfoyle finding the back of the net. After trailing by three points early in the game Offaly were in front by a point at half-time having played into the wind. Waterford led by 0-5 to 0-2 early in the game with Offaly’s scores coming from Ken Casey who was making his first start of the year after returning from injury late in the game against Carlow as a sub. Alan McNamee and Casey again added points for Offaly but Waterford matched those scores to maintain their three point advantage.

However Offaly were soon back on terms with two more points for Casey and one from Graham Guilfoyle drawing them level. Waterford edged back in front again but Casey and Guilfoyle again found the target to leave Offaly 0-9 to 0-8 ahead at the break. Six minutes after the restart Offaly had increased the lead to two with Willie Mulhall and Ken Casey on targer but Waterford hit back with an opportunist goal from Liam O’Lonain to retake the lead.

Offaly however kept their composure and two more Casey points and one from Niall McNamee left them two points ahead again midway through the second-half. A battling Waterford side were proving difficult to shake off and two points from Gary Nurney levelled the scores again entering the final ten minutes. With the game in the balance, Offaly repeated their trick of the previous week against Carlow as they scored 2-1 late in the game to secure the crucial win.

For the second week in a row Brian Connor found the back of the net with the second goal coming from Graham Guilfoyle. Niall McNamee slotted over the final point to set up the showdown with Tipperary on April 7.
Offaly: Ken Casey 0-8 (0-4 frees), Graham Guilfoyle 1-3, Brian Connor 1-0, Niall McNamee 0-2, Alan McNamee 0-1, Willie Mulhall 0-1. Waterford: Gary Hurney 0-5 (0-1 free), Liam O’Lonáin 1-0, Tony Grey 0-3, Tommy Prendergast 0-1, David Hallahan 0-1, Robert Aherne 0-1.

OFFALY: Alan Mulhall (capt.); Shane Sullivan, Paul McConway, Brian Darby; David Hanlon, Sean Pender, Michael Brazil; Alan McNamee, Brian Connor; Eoin Carroll, Graham Guilfoyle, Ruairi Allen; Joe Maher, Ken Casey, Willie Mulhall. Subs: Niall Darby for J Maher (13 mins), Niall McNamee for D Hanlon (half time), Ross Brady for R Allen (50 mins), Derek Kelly for W Mulhall (62 mins), Richie Dalton for R Brady (71 mins).

WATERFORD: Stephen Enright; Tadhg Ó hUallacháin, Maurice O’Gorman, Conor Phelan; Liam O’Lonáin, John Hurney, Andy Doyle; Gary Hurney (Capt.), Tommy Prendergast; Paul Whyte, David Hallahan, Brian Wall; Tony Grey, Robert Aherne, Darren Guiry. Subs: John Wall for P Whyte (15 mins) (inj), Stephen Prendergast for M O’Gorman (66 mins) (inj).

Referee: Anthony Nolan (Wicklow)

Team News

The Waterford Senior Football team to play Offaly is as follows –

1. Stephen Enright Ballinacourty

2. Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers

3. Stephen Prendergast Kilrossanty

4. Maurice O’Gorman Nire

5. Tony Grey Stradbally

6. Brian Wall Nire

7. John Hurney Ballinacourty

8. Shane Aherne Stradbally

9. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty

10. Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn

11. Sean O Hare Ballinacourty

12. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty

13. Darren Guiry Nire

14. Robert Aherne Stradbally

15. Gary Hurney Ballinacourty