Allianz Hurling League Division 1A – Cork 0-26 Tipperary 1-11

Cork spring into action after turbulent winter


DAMIAN LAWLOR at Páirc Uí Rinn for the Sunday Independent newspaper

CORK hurling may have endured a turbulent enough winter but their next generation roared out a defiant message of intent with a 12-point demolition job of Tipperary at Páirc Uí Rinn last night. Coming into the game much was expected, too much perhaps, of Tipperary’s 2013 title aspirations under an impressive new management team. A late Eoin Kelly goal may have spared their blushes but only just. Long term, last night’s shock result may be no bad thing to temper expectations in the county.

In contrast, Cork had to ride out player defections, retirements and some turbulence within the backroom but what they produced on their home turf was sensational, especially scintillating exhibits from Daniel Kearney, Patrick Horgan, Chris Joyce and Cian McCarthy. It was a sign of their deadly intent that with 12 points between the sides and just three minutes left Patrick Horgan opted to go for goal. But each player excelled in a game that was effectively over at the break as this young team, mostly bereft of underage All- Ireland medals and with only three hurlers over 25, delivered a text-book display to overwhelm their opponents. The genesis of this display came from the Cork forwards — they harassed and harried their opponents. Anytime it did reach the Cork defence the Tipp boys were out-fought and hassled to the extent that they were forced to shoot hurriedly and inevitably, wide.

They began with a classy, sharp, crisp display with balls zigging everywhere. Anthony Nash took over from Donal Og Cusack, acted as a playmaker from defence and looked on as his teammates won almost every contest. Save for Donagh Maher and Paudie Maher, Tipp had little to offer around the defensive lines. The away side was beaten to every ball as a ravenous Rebel outfit exploded out of the blocks and produced an impeccable style of hurling, not exactly short passing but incorporating purely intelligent link-up play. By the end Jason Forde and Larry Corbett showed serious promise of better things to come but overall this was a humbling experience for the Premier County.

Although the game was totally one-sided before long, a sizeable crowd of around 6,381 was at least treated to a feisty opener with plenty of hard tackling and two yellow cards brandished by Barry Kelly in the opening minutes. A stream of frees from Patrick Horgan sent Cork into a commanding 0-5 – 0-1 lead as Cork, clearly with more hurling and fitness work behind them , put the foot to the floor and kept it there. Tipp’s only option was to lump it long to Brian O’Meara who worked hard but was left isolated more often than not.

Chris Joyce looked like he had owned the number six shirt for years. He was pulling to the wings demanding short puckouts from Nash and mopping up at every opportunity. After 13 minutes he fired an incredible point to put Cork 0-7 – 0-1 ahead. Together with Daniel Kearney, Joyce was on fire. Tipp on the other hand were limp — they had five wides recorded before the first half ended, all of which were scoreable. Eamon O’Shea replaced Johnny Ryan and Seamus Callan with Adrian Ryan and Corbett as another flow of points from Luke O’Farrell, Stephen Moylan, William Egan and Cian McCarthy put Cork 12 points up at the break.

Young Jason Forde was brought on at the break as Tipp racked up the yellow cards — they had four by the 37 th minute, but Cork ploughed on in ruthless fashion and extended their lead to 0-17 – 0-2. Super scores from Corbett and Forde left 13 points in it with 20 minutes to go and when O’Meara went off Tipp finally stopped going the direct route. But the overall template of the game didn’t alter much. Cork did ease up a little but had their mark more than made by the game’s ending. Tipp face Kilkenny in a fortnight’s time and it goes without saying that they can’t countenance another display like this. Still, it’s early days. There are five full months between February and August which for any serious contender is when the season really kicks off.

For Cork, the danger is of peaking very early in the season. Will they be so razor sharp at the business end of the season? For the moment Jimmy Barry-Murphy won’t be one bit concerned about that — for him last night was the perfect opener after a tumultuous few months.

Scorers —

Cork: P Horgan (0-13, 10f), D Kearney (0-3), S Moylan (0-2), C Joyce (0-1), L O’Farrell (0-1), L McLoughlin (0- 1), C McCarthy (0-1), W Egan (0-1), P O’Sullivan (0-1), C Lehane (0-1), M Walsh (0-1).

Tipperary: J O’Dwyer (0-3), N McGrath (0-3f), E Kelly (1-0), J Forde (0- 2), L Corbett (0-2), A Ryan (0-1),

Cork: A Nash, S O’Neill, S McDonnell, C O’Sullivan, S White, C Joyce, W Egan, D Kearney, L McLoughlin, P O’Sullivan, C McCarthy, C Lehane, S Moylan, L O’Farrell, P Horgan. Subs: T Kenny for D Kearney (60), M Walsh for L McLoughlin (62), A Mannix for L O’Farrell (66)

Tipperary: B Cummins, P Stapleton, P Curran, C O’Brien, D Maher, Paudie Maher, B Maher, S McGrath, J Ryan, S Callanan, N McGrath, Patrick Maher, S Bourke, B O’Meara, J O’Dwyer. Subs: A Ryan for J Ryan (25), L Corbett for S Callanan (31), J Forde for Patrick Maher (h/t), E Kelly for B O’Meara (45), M Cahill for P Stapleton (60).

Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath)


Cork 0-26 Tipperary 1-11

Report from the RTE GAA web site

Patrick Horgan scored 13 points as Cork opened their Allianz Hurling League campaign with a 0-26 to 1-11 victory over Tipperary at Páirc Uí Rinn. Cork scored 14 points in the first half with Horgan, Daniel Kearney and Christopher Joyce impressing. Tipp improved in the second half wth substitutes Lar Corbett and Jason Forde doing well and Eoin Kelly grabbing a late goal. But the result was never in doubt with Paudie O’Sullivan and Luke O’Farrell among Cork’s 11 scorers.

In front of 6,381 spectators, Jimmy Barry-Murphy’s side produced a performance that their Munster rivals found difficult to live with for long periods. Tipp were restricted to just two points in the first half, Noel McGrath scoring inside a minute and Johnny O’Dywer then registering in injury-time. In between, the hosts put 14 unanswered scores together, their all-round play outstanding, and while the second half was not as much of a procession, Cork still ended with 26 points and 11 different scorers, Horgan leading the way with 13 points.

Cork’s success was built on the endless effort of midfielders Daniel Kearney and Lorcán McLoughlin, both of whom were excellent, while the defensive performance was epitomised by Conor O’Sullivan and William Egan. If Cork were to have any quibbles, it would be that they did not get a goal while Tipp did and that Stephen Moylan was the only starting forward apart from Horgan to get more than a point, but overall the Rebels will be delighted with the outcome.

Some of the first half play was wonderful, with the ball usage of the highest order and extremely hard work shown to win back possession and frustrate Tipp’s efforts. The visitors could not get going at all, as evidenced by their usage of three substitutes by the start of the second half, though when Horgan (0-02) and Kearney extended Cork’s advantage to 0-17 to 0-02 soon after the restart, things looked very ominous.

To give Tipp credit, substitutes Forde, Corbett and Adrian Ryan all did well, and Forde’s second point cut the gap to a comparatively small 11 points – 0-20 to 0-09 – as Cork tired following their first half exertions. A full-blown comeback was never a prospect though, and Horgan continued to convert frees for Cork to ensure they kept the scoreboard ticking over. Eoin Kelly, another Tipp sub, got a late goal but it was nothing more than window-dressing on the scoreboard.

CORK: A Nash; S O’Neill, S McDonnell, C O’Sullivan; S White, C Joyce (0-01), W Egan (0-01); D Kearney (0-03), L McLoughlin (0-01); C McCarthy (0-01), P O’Sullivan (0-01), C Lehane (0-01); S Moylan (0-02), L O’Farrell (0-01), P Horgan (0-13, 0-09f).

Subs used: T Kenny for Kearney (60 mins), M Walsh (0-01) for McLoughlin (63), A Mannix for O’Farrell (67).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, C O’Brien; D Maher, Pádraic Maher, B Maher; S McGrath, J Ryan; N McGrath (0-03, 0-03f), J O’Dwyer (0-03), Patrick Maher; S Bourke, B O’Meara, S Callanan.

Subs used: A Ryan (0-01) for J Ryan (26 mins), L Corbett (0-02) for Callanan (32), J Forde (0-02) for Patrick Maher (half-time), E Kelly (1-00) for O’Meara (45), M Cahill for Stapleton (60).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)

Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup Final – DIT 3-8 UCC 0-7

Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) defeated University College Cork (UCC) by 3-8 to 0-7 in Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup Final on Saturday in the Athlone IT GAA grounds.

O’Shea saves sweetest for last

By Brendan O’Brien for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Dublin Institute of Technology 3-08 University College Cork 0-07

Not everyone leaves college having found it a fulfilling experience but Aidan O’Shea will have few complaints when he completes the last of his four years as a logistics and supply chain degree student at Dublin Institute of Technology later this year. The Mayo midfielder had already claimed a Freshers All-Ireland and two Ryan Cups (league titles) before completing the full set with the Dublin college’s first Sigerson success, in Athlone, last Saturday. “I’ve won all I can in college,” said the Breaffy brick house, “but this is a sweet one seeing as we probably beat the three most consistent teams in the tournament over the last three years in UCC, DCU and Maynooth. We did it the hard way.”

O’Shea’s commitment to the cause has been complete. A former DIT club chairman, he was central — both literally and figuratively — to a double-winning season which saw them defeat 10 colleges and navigate the Sigerson without conceding a goal. The only blot on their copybook was a four-point loss to Kildare in the O’Byrne Cup at Geraldine Park in Athy last month but that hardly registered with a side spearheaded by half-a-dozen or so players who had grown heartily sick of real heartbreak. O’Shea was one of those survivors who suffered a shock defeat to UL in the opening round two years ago when they started as tournament favourites and as many again were part of a dispiriting 10-point loss to DCU in last year’s quarter-final.

That latter reversal was exorcised with an impressive win against their star-studded northside neighbours in Friday’s semi-final and they completed their maiden title victory with a comfortable defeat of UCC 24 hours later. DIT brought an irresistible combination to the table this year: a squad littered with inter-county class but one grounded by the pain of past disappointments and thus wedded to the concept of sheer hard work and driven by hunger. The spine of the side contained Meath’s Bryan Menton at full-back through to O’Shea and Cavan’s David Givney at midfield, Darran O’Sullivan at centre-forward and Kildare’s Tomas O’Connor at full-forward, with Mayo’s Jason Doherty providing the majority of the scores.

Surrounding them were players whose names may not jog as many memories but whose input over the weekend was no less notable: guys like Cavan’s metronomic Martin Reilly, Dublin’s Ciaran Reddin who scored one goal and set up another against UCC and Colin Walsh, their captain from Monaghan. UCC dealt capably with their opponents in the opening quarter, providing the DIT midfield with a greater challenge than DCU had managed the day before and forcing the eventual winners to pass laterally across the Cork 45 in order to find gaps. Yet, find them they did and Reddin claimed the first goal after only 14 minutes on the back of a beautifully crafted move involving Givney, Doherty and O’Sullivan and the poacher turned creator for Doherty’s second two minutes before the interval.

Only DIT’s nine wides in that half kept the suspense bubbling but UCC’s difficulties were more pressing and summed up by Conor Cox’s skewed point attempt towards the interval. Cox and Tipperary’s Conor Sweeney had registered scores from all 16 of their efforts against AIT from play and dead balls but the former’s first free, registered on the half-time whistle, still left his side two goals in arrears. UCC enjoyed their best period after the interval but could only pull the one point back and DIT were still the six points to the good when the superb Givney put the matter to bed with the third of his side’s excellent goals with two minutes to go. “DIT are new winners now and it is good for the competition that there are new winners,” said UCC selector John Corcoran. “The most disappointing thing is that we didn’t play up to our form. We are better than that. “I would have no problem with the effort the lads put in. We had a period of dominance early in the second-half but they broke away after that. The final margin doesn’t really reflect the difference between the teams but well done to them.”

Scorers for DIT: D Givney, J Doherty (2fs), C Reddin 1-2 each, G O’Hare, P Maguire 0-1 each.

Scorers for UCC: C Sweeney 0-3 (2fs), T Clancy, B Coughlan, C Cox (f), L Connolly 0-1 each.

DIT: R Lambert (Wicklow); G O’Hare (Louth), B Menton (Meath), K O’Brien (Dublin); R Sheridan (Cavan), N Devereaux (Dublin), C Walshe (Monaghan); A O’Shea (Mayo), D Givney (Cavan); M Reilly (Cavan), D O’Sullivan (Kerry); C Reddin (Dublin); M Collins (Cork), T O’Connor (Kildare), J Doherty (Mayo).

Subs: B Allen (Offaly) for Reddin (41), A Nestor (Meath) for Sheridan (47), P Maguire (Dublin) for Reilly (51), S O’Connor (Dublin) for O’Sullivan (53), J McGrath (Wicklow) for O’Connor (59).

UCC: S Mellet (Cork); P Galvin (Kerry), E O’Mahony (Cork), N Daly (Roscommon); J O’Sullivan (Cork), P Crowley (Kerry), T Clancy (Cork); P Acheson (Tipperary), JB Spillane (Kerry); K O’Driscoll (Cork), B Coughlan (Cork), L Connolly (Cork); G O’Grady (Kerry), C Cox (Kerry), C Sweeney (Tipperary).

Subs: D O’Sullivan (Kerry) for Coughlan (48), P Murphy (Kerry) for Clancy (48), E Buckley (Cork) for O’Grady (52).

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)


DIT crush UCC to take first title

Report from the Irish Independent newspaper

DUBLIN IT won the Sigerson Cup for the first time yesterday with a 10-point victory against UCC. A star-studded DIT scored three classy goals at a bitterly cold Athlone IT as they added the coveted trophy to the league title collected before Christmas. And while DIT caught the eye with some of their attacking play throughout the competition, they also went through the entire campaign without conceding a single goal. Sean Fox’s outfit were far too good for 20-time winners UCC, who last took the title in 2011.

UCC may have had half a dozen survivors from that success in their ranks but DIT were backboned by some household intercounty names. Mayo’s Aidan O’Shea, in his final year at DIT, was superb once again at midfield but he had brilliant support from Cavan’s David Givney, who scored 1-2 from the centre of the park. Givney scored the opening point of both halves and crowned his rampaging display with DIT’s third goal two minutes from time. Defensively, DIT were imperious again and Bryan Menton, who shackled DCU’s Donegal star Michael Murphy so effectively in Friday’s semi-final, claimed the man of the match award. At half-time, DIT led by 2-4 to 0-4 and were well on their way to a maiden Sigerson Cup final win.

The 2009 beaten finalists scored the first of their three goals in the 14th minute as Ciaran Reddin finished a quite brilliant team move. Givney won possession at midfield and the ball went through the hands of Mayo’s Jason Doherty and Kerry ace Darran O’Sullivan before Reddin finished clinically. Three minutes before half-time, DIT struck again as Kildare totem Tomás O’Connor palmed Reddin’s delivery into the path of Doherty, who made no mistake with a low finish.

UCC endured a barren 14-minute spell without a score in the first half and they managed just three in total in the second half as DIT cruised home. Fittingly, Givney rammed home DIT’s third goal off the post in the 58th minute before UCC’s misery was compounded in stoppage time when substitute Darragh O’Sullivan received a straight red card for a high challenge on Shane O’Connor. Overjoyed DIT selector Billy O’Loughlin said: “We won our first freshers title in 2008 and another in 2010 and this is just absolutely brilliant for the college. We were tipped at 4/1 against DCU but the boys took it as a bit of an insult. We have some fantastic players.”

Scorers – DIT: D Givney, J Doherty (2f) 1-2 each, C Reddin 1-1, G O’Hare, T O’Connor, P Maguire 0-1 each. UCC: C Sweeney 0-3 (2f), T Clancy, B Coughlan, C Cox (f), L Connolly (’45’) 0-1 each.

DIT: R Lambert; K O’Brien, B Menton, G O’Hare; C Walshe, N Devereaux, R Sheridan; A O’Shea, D Givney; M Reilly, D O’Sullivan, C Reddin; M Collins, T O’Connor, J Doherty. Subs: B Allen for Reddin (41), A Nestor for Sheridan (47), P Maguire for Reilly (51), S O’Connor for O’Sullivan (53), J McGrath for O’Connor 59).

UCC: S Mellet; P Galvin, E O’Mahony, N Daly; J O’Sullivan, P Crowley, T Clancy; P Acheson, JB Spillane; K O’Driscoll, L Connolly, B Coughlan; G O’Grady, C Cox, C Sweeney. Subs: D O’Sullivan for Coughlan (48), P Murphy for Clancy (48), E Buckley for O’Grady (52).

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)


The final and semi-final of the prestigious Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup will be hosted at AIT on 22 February and 23 February. In addition, AIT will host also the Irish Daily Mail sponsored Trench and Corn na Mac Leinn Cup, a total of six semi-finals on Friday and three finals on Saturday, as well as the inaugural Corn Comhairle Ardoideachais final on the Friday of what promises to be fantastic weekend of Gaelic Football.

2012/2013 All Ireland Scór na nÓg Final

The 2012/2013 All Ireland Scór na nÓg Final took place on Saturday February 23rd 2013 at 12:00pm in ‘The Venue” in Derry City.

All-Ireland Scór na nÓg Champions 2013

Rince Foirne: Bóthar Buí, Corcaigh

Amhrànaiocht Aonair: Seosamh Ó Gormáin, Cill Dara

Ceol Uirlise: Druim Shamhain, Muineachán

Aithriseoreacht: Colm Ó Cuirc, Muineachán

Bailéad Ghrúpa: Achadh Mór, Maigh Eo

Tráth na gCeisteanna: An Gleann, An Dún

Nuachleas: Teampall Doire, Tiobraid Árann

Rince Seit: Crois ar Loch, An Cabhán

Scór showpiece comes to Derry

Up to 2000 people drawn from all counties of Ireland are expected to take their seats at ‘The Venue’ on Saturday, February 23 as Derry’s showpiece cultural arena plays host to the national finals of Scór na nÓg 2013.

Scór is a GAA competition that combines all the colour and rivalry of Gaelic Games with the social/fun element of Ireland’s traditional past-times. The competition was established by the GAA in 1969 with the aim of promoting Ireland’s traditional pastimes and culture while offering club members the chance to meet up, have fun and represent their club during the winter months while Football and Hurling had ceased.

The event is one part of the GAA’s heavy involvement in Derry’s City of Culture celebrations in 2013. As well as Scór, the GAA will host its Annual Congress in the city this coming March.

There are eight events/disciplines in Scór that cover all aspects of Irish culture: Figure/Céilí Dancing, Solo Singing, Instrumental Music, Recitation/Scéalaíocht, Ballad Group, Novelty Act, Question Time and Set Dancing. The competition is divided into two age levels, Scór Na nÓg, for young people under 17 and Scór Sinsear, for those over 17.

All Ireland Scór champions are presented with their medals by Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael, winners are All-Ireland Champions in their own right in the same way as All-Ireland Senior Football or Hurling Final winners.

This is the first time that Co. Derry has ever hosted the national finals of Scór, making Saturday’s event that bit more special and unique. Previous venues to host the event include the INEC Killarney, Cork’s City Hall and the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin.

Derry GAA Chairman, John Keenan said “2013 is a very special year for the GAA in our county. This year marks the 125th anniversary of the founding of the association in Derry. We are a sporting and cultural organisation and are delighted to get our programme of events underway with the hosting of the Scór na nÓg finals on February 23.

“Scór is just one of the many national events we’re bringing to Derry this year and I’d like to thank the Culture Company for all their support they have given us with the hosting of these. We have four GAA clubs within the City itself, with a further five in the surrounding areas.

“I have no doubt that the events of 2013 will leave a lasting legacy on the GAA scene in the City, as well as introduce tens of thousands of people to the attractions and amenities the City has to offer. Derry will benefit not only culturally, but socially and economically from the events of 2013 and that is something to truly welcome.”

Culture Company Chief Executive Shona McCarthy said: “It’s fantastic that Scór na nÓg is taking place at the new venue in Ebrington. To have the most talented young performers from every corner of Ireland displaying their abilities here in the city is a great way to initiate the GAA’s participation in City of Culture celebrations.”

= =

Scór na nÓg All-Ireland Finals: Saturday 23rd Feb 2013 at ‘The Venue’ (12:00)

Tickets are priced at €20/£17 and can be purchased at the venue on the day. Advance reservations can also be made through your county Scór officer or County Board. In Derry, people can reserve tickets by emailing Scór committee secretary Maureen Quinn ( or Derry GAA Secretary Liam Peoples ( or Telephone 028 777 42990.