M Donnelly Inter-Pro Football S-Final – Ulster 1-14 Munster 1-13

Munster rue late missed chances

By John Fogarty (GAA Correspondent) for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Ulster 1-14 Munster 1-13

Munster manager Ger O’Sullivan was keen not to blame two of his players for missing late chances to bring yesterday’s Interprovincial football semi-final into extra-time. In a gripping encounter played in front of a paltry 1,615 crowd in Armagh, Gary Hurney on two occasions and Donncha O’Connor both could have levelled the game but kicked wides. Hurney’s first effort in the penultimate minute of normal time hit the post and went wide and O’Connor followed suit a minute later. With almost the last kick of the game, Hurney, who had a shot blocked by Pascal McConnell in the 52nd minute, kicked off balance and saw his shot finish wide of the Ulster goalkeeper’s right-hand post by 50 yards.

The Waterford forward, an impressive performer in last year’s series and key to winning frees in yesterday’s game, hung his head knowing the significance of the miss. O’Sullivan, though, wasn’t going to fault him or O’Connor. “We had a very good few chances in the end but the legs were very tired at that stage,” he said. “It’s not easy, a lot of these fellas were training with their counties the last number of weeks and they were training with their counties again this week. “I’m delighted with the response that I got, they love playing the competition. You look at the players from Cork and Kerry, they make two trips each up here to the north later on this year and the first weekend they get off this year they give the commitment to play for Munster.”

Munster’s fight-back was captivating, seeing Cork and Kerry players combine in one-twos to stage a resurgence that saw them go ahead by a point in the 56th minute after trailing by 10 points in the 29th minute. Having kept Ulster scoreless for 29 minutes and notching up 1-8 without reply, there was part of O’Sullivan that rued his team’s dramatic finish but he felt Ulster earned the win. “The first half took a lot out of us [Munster trailed 1-11 to 0-6]. We were under fierce pressure in the first half and then we had enough in the tank to come back at them in the second half. “It was difficult after that. They raised their game again and there was going to be another kick in them. More power to them, they deserved it over the 70 minutes.”

While delighted with the victory, Joe Kernan, in his home county, was saddened by the size of the crowd that turned up. “I’m disappointed, the people have to support this. You seen two very committed sets of players out there so it’s just a pity more people didn’t turn out. But they can come to Croke Park next week.” The presence of just one Armagh player in the panel, Ciaran McKeever, may have had some effect on the attractiveness to people in the vicinity of the Athletic Grounds.

However, he certainly made his presence felt here, locking horns once again with Paul Kerrigan after last year’s Armagh-Cork game at the same venue when Kerrigan was red carded and McKeever handed a retrospective ban that was later rescinded. Both were yellow carded for an off-the-ball incident in the first minute of the second half and McKeever later exchanged heated words with manager O’Sullivan. Noel O’Leary was booked six minutes from time for a foul on McKeever. Then, two minutes later, the Armagh captain was fortunate to stay on the field after pulling back Eoin Cadogan.

Kernan wasn’t happy with Jerome Henry’s officiating, especially with an unacknowledged foul on Mark Poland which could have resulted in a penalty. “I thought they were harshly treated with some of the decisions, we had a man straight through, tackled from behind and we don’t even get a free.” After almost 30 minutes of failing to score, it was McKeever who stepped up to equalise in the 58th minute following Aidan Walsh’s second point. A minute later and, with Tyrone substitute Conor McAliskey making an impact, McKeever added another before Seán Cavanagh extended Ulster’s lead to two with a free that was brought forward for remonstration.

In the 67th minute, Aidan O’Mahony pushed forward to make it a one-point game but there was no score to follow. For making it a contest when it looked anything but one in the first half, Munster deserve credit. Relying on four Colm O’Neill frees from their first-half total of six, they were struggling especially after Martin Penrose’s ninth minute goal. However, they revived themselves to creep ahead largely due to a 41st minute Donncha O’Connor penalty goal following a Neil McGee foul on O’Neill.

Scorers for Ulster: S Cavanagh 0-5 (4f); M Penrose 1-1; C McManus 0-4; C McKeever 0-2; E McGee, D Givney 0-1 each.

Scorers for Munster: C O’Neill 0-5 (all frees); D O’Connor 1-0 (pen); A Walsh 0-2; G Collins, G Brennan, M Ó Sé, B O’Driscoll, P Kerrigan, A O’Mahony 0-1 each.

ULSTER: P McConnell (Tyrone); C McKaigue (Derry); N McGee, E McGee (both Donegal); C McCarron (Tyrone), D Hughes (Monaghan), C McKeever (Armagh); S Cavanagh (Tyrone), D Givney (Cavan); M McHugh (Donegal), M Poland (Down), Joe McMahon (Tyrone); M Penrose (Tyrone) K Niblock (Antrim), C McManus (Monaghan).

Subs for Ulster: K Hughes (Monaghan) for McCarron (47); P McComiskey (Down) for Niblock (64); C McAliskey (Tyrone) for Poland (56).

Red card: D Givney (48, second yellow).

MUNSTER: B Kealy; M Ó Sé, A O’Mahony (all Kerry), P Codd (Tipperary); N O’Leary, E Cadogan, P Kissane (all Cork); G Brennan (Clare), A Walsh (Cork); P Kerrigan, D O’Connor (both Cork), A Clohessy (Clare); C O’Neill (Cork), G Hurney (Waterford), G Collins (Limerick).

Subs for Munster: M O’Gorman (Waterford) for Codd (29); B O’Driscoll (Cork) for Clohessy (32); R Donnelly (Clare) for Kerrigan, J O’Riordan (Limerick) for Collins (both 67).

Referee: J Henry (Mayo)


Ulster 1-14 Munster 1-13

Report from the RTE.ie web site

Ulster were left hanging on for a 1-14 to 1-13 win in this well-contested M Donnelly Interprovincial Football semi-final. Joe Kernan’s men looked in total control when they led by 1-11 to 0-06 at half-time, Martin Penrose scoring a fine goal in the 10th minute. However, Munster reeled off 1-06 without reply with Donncha O’Connor’s 40th-minute penalty igniting their fight-back. But Munster missed three chances to take the game to extra-time, Gary Hurney hitting two wides as Ulster hung on.

Sean Cavanagh was in superb form and Monaghan’s Conor McManus was also a key figure, hitting 0-04 from play. However, the home side totally lost their way as Munster scored an unanswered 1-08 either side of half-time. It took the visitors a long while to get up to the pace of the game but they came roaring back with a penalty five minutes after the restart from Donncha O’Connor. Colm O’Neill, who was fouled for the penalty, was at the heart of most of Munster’s scores as they chased down Ulster’s big lead. Aidan Walsh came into the game at midfield and Munster gradually chipped away at the deficit with points from Marc O Sé, Gary Brennan and substitute Barry O’Driscoll.

Ulster failed to score for 29 minutes either side of the break and with Munster in the ascendancy, the disappointing attendance of 1,615 supporters finally had a competitive match to watch. Ulster manager Kernan was furious when claims for a push in the back on Mark Poland were ignored and all the momentum was with Ger O’Sullivan’s men. Munster briefly took the lead when Aidan Walsh put them 1-12 to 1-11 in front with 15 minutes remaining.

Then Ciaran McKeever, Armagh’s sole representative on the Ulster team, scored two points from play inside 60 seconds to restore Ulster’s lead. Cavanagh tagged on a free before Aidan O’Mahony’s 68th-minute point left the minimum between the teams in a nail-biting finish. Ulster substitute, Tyrone rookie Connor McAliskey, made a useful impact and won the ball which led to McKeever’s second point. Munster spurned three chances to equalise and take the game to extra-time. Waterford’s Gary Hurney, who starred in last year’s final defeat to Ulster, was unlucky as his attempt at a point crashed off the post.

Goal scorer Donncha O’Connor was then guilty of a bad wide before Hurney missed again. After a quiet second half, Tyrone ace Cavanagh climbed highest and won a vital kickout to give Ulster possession and the defending champions survived to book their place in next Sunday’s final at Croke Park where they will face Leinster.

ULSTER: P McConnell; C McKaigue, N McGee, E McGee (0-01); C McCarron, D Hughes, C McKeever (0-02); S Cavanagh (0-05, 0-03f), D Givney (0-01); M McHugh, M Poland, J McMahon; M Penrose (1-01), K Niblock, C McManus (0-04).

Subs used: K Hughes for McCarron (47 mins), C McAliskey for Poland (54), P McComiskey for Niblock (64).

MUNSTER: B Kealy; M O Se (0-01), A O’Mahony (0-01), P Codd; N O’Leary, E Cadogan, P Kissane; G Brennan (0-01), A Walsh (0-2); A Clohessy, D O’Connor (1-00, 1-00 pen), P Kerrigan (0-01); G Hurney, C O’Neill (0-05, 0-05f), G Collins (0-01).

Subs used: M O’Gorman for Codd (30 mins), B O’Driscoll (0-01) for Clohessy (33), R Donnelly for Kerrigan, J O’Riordan for Collins (both 68).

Referee: Jerome Henry (Mayo)


Match Preview

Ulster v Munster, Athletic Grounds, 2.15pm

Reigning Interprovincial football champions Ulster take on Munster in the semi-final this Sunday in Armagh, and once again the northern province brings a remarkably impressive selection of players into the competition.

All nine counties are strongly represented on the panel, with the cream of Ulster footballers set to line out for Joe Kernan’s side. Among them are four of Donegal’s All-Ireland winners, with Michael Murphy, Neil McGee, Eamon McGee and Mark McHugh all taking part. Down stars Brendan McVeigh, Paul McComiskey, Mark Poland, Benny Coulter are in the panel while those involved from Tyrone include Pascal McConnell, Joe McMahon, Sean Cavanagh, Martin Penrose, Peter Harte, Cathal McCarron, Justin McMahon and Connor McAliskey.

The list of top players goes on, and beyond those from those three counties, elite players from Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Fermanagh and Monaghan will all be hoping to play a role on Sunday. Their opponents Munster are managed by Ger O’Sullivan, who has Maurice Horan and Ger O’Keeffe with him as his selectors. They too have a serious crop of talent lining out for them this weekend.

They have All-Ireland winners from Cork and Kerry throughout their squad, with Marc Ó Sé and Aidan O’Mahony there from Kerry, and Noel O’Leary (Captain), Paudie Kissane, Paul Kerrigan, Aidan Walsh, Colm O’Neill, Donncha O’Connor, Eoin Cadogan all forming the Cork contingent. The squad is certainly not just limited to players from those two counties though – Waterford, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary are all very well represented on the panel.

Waterford and Limerick both have four representatives, while Clare have three and Tipperary have two. It means that all 15 counties from the two provinces of Ulster and Munster will be represented in this semi-final, a fine example of the meaning of the Interprovincial Championships. The winners will go forward to play the winners of the other semi-final, between Connacht and Leinster, at Croke Park on February 24.

Ulster Football Squad: Kieran McKeever (Armagh), Kevin Niblock (Antrim), Tommy McElroy (Fermanagh), Brendan McVeigh, Paul McComiskey, Mark Poland, Benny Coulter (all Down), Darren Hughes (capt), Kieran Hughes, Conor McManus (all Monaghan), David Gibney, Gearoid McKiernan (both Cavan), Pascal McConnell, Joe McMahon, Sean Cavanagh, Martin Penrose, Peter Harte, Cathal McCarron, Justin McMahon, Connor McAliskey (all Tyrone), Michael Murphy, Neil McGee, Eamon McGee, Mark McHugh (all Donegal), Chrissy McKaigue, Dermot McBride (both Derry).

Munster Football Squad: Noel O’Leary (Captain), Paudie Kissane, Paul Kerrigan, Aidan Walsh, Colm O’Neill, Donncha O’Connor, Eoin Cadogan (all Cork), Tony Grey, Maurice O’Gorman, Paul Whyte, Gary Hurney (all Waterford), Ger Collins, John O’Riordan, Thomas Lee, Seamus O’Carroll (all Limerick), Alan Clohessy, Gary Brennan, Rory Donnelly (all Clare), Brendan Kealy, Marc Ó Sé, Aidan O’Mahony (all Kerry), Paul Fitzgerald and Paddy Codd (both Tipperary)

For the Record

Munster Ulster
Team Management Ger O’Sullivan
(Cork, Manager),
Ger O’Keeffe (Kerry),
Maurice Horan (Limerick)
Joe Kernan (Armagh)
2012 Performance Defeated Leinster by 1-16 to 1-13 in the Semi-Final before losing to Ulster in the final Defeated Connacht by 3-16 to 0-11 in the Semi-Final before defeating Munster in the final
Number of Football titles 15 30
Last Football Title 2008 2012
Inter Provincial Football Record since 2000 Played – 15
Won – 5
Lost – 10
Drawn – 0
Played – 19
Won – 15
Lost – 4
Drawn – 0

2013 M Donnelly Inter Provincial Football Fixtures

Semi-Finals (Extra time)

Sunday February 17th

@ Morgan Athletic Grounds Armagh                 Ulster v Munster                          @ 2:00pm

@ Glennon Brothers Pearse Park Longford       Leinster v Connacht                     @ 2:00pm

Final (Extra time)

Sunday February 24th

Inter Provincial Football – A look back

Ulster have defeated Munster in the last 9 Inter Provincial Finals they have contested dating back to 1979.

Munster’s last victory over Ulster in a final came in 1978 after a replay on a scoreline of 4-12 to 0-19.

Ulster and Munster have played 49 times in the Inter Provincial Football competition since their first meeting in 1927. Ulster have won 26, Munster 18 while there have been 5 draws.

The record of the teams in Inter Provincial Finals involving both Munster and Ulster is Played 18, Ulster 12, Munster 4 and Drawn 2.

Munster have won 15 Inter Provincial Football titles. The breakdown by county of winning Munster Football captains is as follows – Kerry (11), Cork (4). John O’Keeffe (Kerry) is the only player to captain Munster to Inter Provincial Football success on two occasions, winning in 1977 and 1978 while playing at full-back. Tomas O Se is aiming become the 11th captain from Kerry to lead Munster to Inter Provincial Football honours.

Munster did not win an Inter Provincial Football title from 1950 through 1971.

After winning the 1999 title (captained by Seamus Moynihan of Kerry), Munster lost in the semi-final for the next 7 consecutive years. During those barren years, Nicholas Murphy (Cork) played in 6 of the 7 games, missing out only in 2004 before getting his just rewards as winning Munster captain in 2008.

Munster captured 4 Inter Provincial Football titles in a row from 1975 to 1978. Jimmy Barry-Murphy (Cork), Dave McCarthy (Cork), John O’Keeffe (Kerry), Ger Power (Kerry) and John Egan (Kerry) won medals in all four years.

Munster captured the first ever Inter Provincial Football competition in 1927 with victories over Ulster and Connacht.  John Joe Sheehy of Kerry was the winning captain.

Inter Provincial Football Roll Of Honour

Ulster (30) – 1942, 1943, 1947, 1950, 1956, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1979, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012

Leinster (28) – 1928, 1929, 1930, 1932, 1933, 1935, 1939, 1940, 1944, 1945, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1974, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006

Munster (15) – 1927, 1931, 1941, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1999, 2008

Connacht (9) – 1934, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1951, 1957, 1958, 1967, 1969

List of Munster Inter Provincial Football Teams

Visit the Munster GAA web site at http://munster.gaa.ie/history/railway-cup-football/ to view the list of all the teams to represent Munster in the Inter Provincial Football competition.

Most Recent meeting – Ulster v Munster

2012 Final – Ulster 3-11 Munster 1-15 – Morgan Athletic Grounds Armagh on February 26th

Munster: Alan Quirke (Cork); Aidan O’Mahony (Kerry), Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Stephen Lavin (Limerick); Tomas O Se (Kerry), Graham Canty (Cork), Paudie Kissane (Cork); Gary Brennan (Clare), Seamus Scanlon (Kerry); Patrick Kelly (Cork, 0-2), Paul Kerrigan (Cork, 0-3), John Cooke (Limerick); David Tubridy (Clare, 0-8, 0-3 frees, 0-1 45), Gary Hurney (Waterford, 0-2, 0-1 free), Ian Ryan (Limerick)

Subs: Pearse O’Neill (Cork) for Cooke, Rory Donnelly (Clare, 1-0) for Kelly, Mark Collins (Cork) for Ryan

Ulster: B McVeigh, B Donaghy, N McGee (1-0), K Lacey, C McKeever, D Hughes (0-3, 0-2 45s), J Loughrey, D Gordon (0-1), R Kavanagh, P Harte (1-0), M Poland (1-1), M Penrose (0-2, 0-1 free), C Gilligan, B Coulter, O Mulligan (0-4, 0-1 frees)

Subs: J McMahon for Gilligan, O Lennon for Kavanagh, V Corey for Loughrey

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo)

Most Recent victory for Munster v Ulster

2008: Semi-Final: Munster 1-5 Ulster 0-5 – October 26th at Fermoy

Munster: Paul Fitzgerald (Tipperary); Diarmuid Duggan (Cork), Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Padraig Reidy (Kerry); Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry), Stephen Lavin (Limerick), Tomas O’Gorman (Waterford); John Galvin (Limerick), Nicholas Murphy (Cork); Patrick Kelly (Cork), Daniel Goulding (Cork), Maurice O’Gorman (Waterford); Donncha O’Connor (Cork), Micheal Cussen (Cork), Ian Ryan (Limerick).

Subs: Alan O’Connor (Cork) for Kelly (38), Liam Ó Lionáin (Waterford) for M O’Gorman (56), Michael Crowley (Limerick) for Ryan (59)

Ulster: J Devine (Tyrone); F Moriarty (Armagh), V Corey (Monaghan), K Lacey (Donegal); D Harte (Tyrone), C Gormley (Tyrone), A Carr (Down); D Clerkin (Monaghan), R Kavanagh (Donegal); B Dooher (Tyrone), B Mallon (Armagh), D Hughes (Down); S Johnston (Cavan), E Bradley (Derry), T Freeman (Monaghan).

Subs: K Toner (Armagh) for Johnston (38), S O’Neill for Bradley, E Lennon (Monaghan) for Carr, R Flanagan (Cavan) for Hughes (all 44), R Woods for Kavanagh (53).

Last Inter Provincial Football Title for Munster

2008: Final – Munster 1-9 Connacht 0-7

Munster team: Paul Fitzgerald (Tipperary); Diarmuid Duggan (Cork), Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Padraig Reidy (Kerry); Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry), Steven Lavin (Limerick), Tomas O’Gorman (Waterford); John Galvin (Limerick), Nicholas Murphy (Cork – Captain); Patrick Kelly (Cork), Donnacha O’Connor (Cork), Maurice O’Gorman (Waterford); Daniel Goulding (Cork), Alan O’Connor (Cork), Ian Ryan (Limerick)

Subs: Robbie Costigan (Tipperary) for Tomas O’Gorman, John Hayes (Cork) for Alan O’Connor, Steven O’Donoghue (Cork) for Patrick Kelly, Eddie Rockett (Waterford) for Maurice O’Gorman, Michael Crowley (Limerick) for Ian Ryan. Joe Hayes (Clare). Michael Cussen (Cork) and Liam Ó Lionáin (Waterford) played in the semi-final.


The GAA announced today that all proceeds from the 2013 M. Donnelly GAA Football Interprovincial Final to be held on Sunday February 24 in Croke Park will go directly to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin.

The AIB GAA Football All-Ireland Junior Club Championship final involving Kenmare Shamrocks (Kerry) and Ballinasloe (Galway) will act as the curtain raiser at 2pm, while the inter-provincial football final will throw-in at 3.45pm.

Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael Liam O’ Neill made the announcement in Croke Park today joined by footballers Bernard Brogan, Dublin and Ciarán Lyng, Wexford who were on hand to show their support for the charity.

“The Association is delighted to play its part in helping the hospital fulfill its ambitious target of completing and delivering world class facilities for cardiac and cancer patients and their families”.

“Our inter-county All-Ireland winners have a long standing tradition of visiting Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin with the Sam Maguire and Liam MacCarthy Cups, always bringing a lot of excitement to many of the children. It is now our time to support them and I also welcome the support of the GPA on this initiative”, commented Uachtarán Chumann Luthchleas Gael Liam O’ Neill at the launch.

“Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin is delighted to team up with the GAA to help raise funds for our Cancer and Cardiac Wards” said Geraldine Regan, Deputy CE / Director of Nursing Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin at today’s announcement.

“For many years the children and their families look forward to these visits from the victorious GAA teams and many of them decorate their rooms in the team colours”.

“This fund raiser is a very welcome extension of that support by the GAA and its players, which everyone associated with the Hospital much appreciates”.

Tickets for this Croke Park double header are priced at €10 for Adults, €5 for Juveniles with all proceeds going to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin. Tickets can be purchased through gaa.ie/tickets or other usual outlets.

For more information contact Lisa Clancy, Director of Communications at 01-8658659 / 087-2314260


Sarah Benson, Communications Manager, Children’s Medical and Research Foundation at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin on 087-7555988

Note to editor: The 2013 M. Donnelly inter-provincial football semi-finals take place this coming Sunday, February 17. In the first semi-final, reigning champions Ulster take on Munster at the Morgan Athletic Grounds, Armagh with throw-in at 2:15pm. In the second football semi-final, Leinster take on Connacht at 2pm in Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, Longford.

In the M. Donnelly GAA Hurling Interprovincial Championship semi finals the meeting of Ulster and Munster will take place at 12.30pm before the football equivalent in Armagh while the meeting of Leinster and Connacht takes place in O’Connor Park, Tullamore at 2pm.

Corn Uí Mhuirí Senior A Football Semi-Final – P.S. Chorca Dhuibhne 0-13 DLS Macroom 1-8

O Dubhain points the way for Dhuibhne

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 0-13 DLS Macroom 1-8

Report from the Irish Independent newspaper

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne remain on course for a second consecutive Munster Colleges SFC title after a battling second-half performance saw off De La Salle at Knocknagree. Having gone in with a 0-6 to 0-4 half-time lead after playing with the strong breeze, the Dingle school – coached by Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice – looked in trouble when points from Pa Lucey (two) and James Moynihan put Macroom in front early in the second half.

But Chorca Dhuibhne responded strongly as Pádraig Ó Dubháin and Tom Ó Súilleabháin converted crucial frees, and when captain Éanna Ó Conchúir scored a pair of excellent points in the closing stages, their lead was 0-13 to 0-8. Macroom, who were beaten in last year’s final by Corca Dhuibhne, gave themselves late hope when Peter Kelleher fisted an injury-time goal, but they could not force another score. Chorca Dhuibhne began well as Ó Dubháin kicked three early frees, and despite missing some chances they led 0-6 to 0-1 as half-time approached. Two Lucey points and one from Seán O’Sullivan cut the gap to two by half-time, but Chorca Dhuibhne found another gear to advance to a final meeting with St Brendan’s, Killarney.

Scorers – Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne: P Ó Dubháin 0-8 (5f), T Ó Súilleabháin (2f), É Ó Conchúir 0-2 each, P Breathnach 0-1. De La Salle, Macroom: P Lucey 0-5f, P Kelleher 1-0, S O’Sullivan 0-2, J Moynihan 0-1.

POBALSCOIL CHORCA DHUIBHNE – D Ó Conchúir; B Ó Beaglaíoch, C Ó Lúing, C Ó Súilleabháin; M Ó Flaharta, P Ó Conchúir, M Ó Conchúir; B Ó Súilleabháin, C Ó Beaglaíoch; T Ó Sé, P Breathnach, P Ó Dubháin; T Ó Súilleabháin, É Ó Conchúir, C Ó Bambaire. Sub: C Ó Muirthile for Breathnach (48).

DE LA SALLE, MACROOM – D Dineen; C Noonan, D O’Callaghan, K O’Dywer; S Creedon, S Kelleher, A Healy; P Kelleher, P Lucey; S Foley, J Moynihan, S O’Sullivan; P Berhanu, B O’Leary, J Murphy. Subs: D Cahalane for Creedon (h-t), M Cronin for Foley (43).

Ref – B Tyrell (Tipperary)

M Donnelly Inter-Pro Hurling S-Final – Munster 3-20 Ulster 1-14

Sheedy satisfied with Munster’s early impact

By John Fogarty (GAA Correspondent) for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Munster 3-20 Ulster 1-14

Munster manager Liam Sheedy was satisfied with his team’s performance, even if they faded out in the second half at the Athletic Grounds yesterday. Ahead by 17 points in the 51st minute, Munster only managed two points from play against the wind in the second half while five Ulster scores on the trot in the last 10 minutes helped to put a kinder reflection on the score-line for the hosts. Munster’s three first-half goals, two from Limerick’s Graeme Mulcahy and the other a Paudie O’Sullivan strike, set them on their way to a convincing win.

Given how heavily counties are preparing for the start of the National League next weekend, Sheedy wasn’t concerned in the slightest by how the team’s scores dried up after the break. But for Shane Dowling’s six frees, Shane McGrath and Brian O’Meara’s efforts were their only other points. “We had a platform with the scores we took in the second 10-minute spell of the first half,” he said. “That is what we were looking for. “We put on five subs as well and we were anxious for other lads to see game-time. These guys have a lot of training done. “They’re in the middle of their league preparations and either had matches or trained on Saturday with their counties so 70 minutes was a big ask on the back of what they were doing. “There’s a lot of talk about the Railway Cup being this and that. Those players were very anxious to play in it and I think it’s a really good sign to see the energy and enthusiasm they bring. ”

In the final Munster will face a Connacht team comprising Galway players and they can expect a considerably tougher ride than they got in Armagh. Ulster captain Neil McManus was his team’s star performer and he weighed in with 1-7, his goal a peach of a score in the first half. However, he admitted he erred in electing to play against the wind in the first half after winning the toss. “In hindsight, it was the wrong thing maybe to do because we do lack a bit of confidence against that pedigree of opposition. “The right thing would have probably been to play with the breeze, take the advantage that was there and stay in the game for as long as possible.”

Munster, despite a strong wind at their backs, were slow to get up and running but found their feet when Mulcahy scored his first goal in the 14th minute. As Patrick Horgan’s free count increased, O’Sullivan bagged Munster’ second goal in the 17th minute when O’Meara and Mulcahy again combined to give him the chance. Now 2-6 to 0-3 ahead, Munster were in firm control, although there was a bit of fortune about their third goal when a speculative over-shoulder wind-assisted Shane McGrath puck from the centre of the field flew over the full-back line where a more alert Mulcahy pounced and beat Ryan McGarry for a second time.

It wasn’t much consolation, but the goal of the game belonged to McManus, who brilliantly doubled on a long ball in, a strike reminiscent of his fellow Antrim man Olcan McFetridge’s famous finish against Offaly in 1989. That 22nd minute score cut Munster’s lead to 10, (3-7 to 1-3), but Munster drove on again and picked up another five points to Ulster’s one before the break, giving them a 3-12 to 1-4 half-time lead. With Horgan leaving the action in the 51st minute, Dowling took over all free-taking duties after posting two beautiful long-range deadball strikes in the opening stages of the second half. Five Ulster unanswered scores from the 62nd to the 69th minute, McManus supplying two of them, cut Munster’s lead from 16 to 11 before Dowling struck over his sixth free.

Scorers for Munster: G Mulcahy 2-2; S Dowling 0-7 (0-1 65, 0-6f); P Horgan (0-6, all frees) P O’Sullivan 1-2; P Cronin, S McGrath, B O’Meara 0-1 each.

Scorers for Ulster: N McManus 1-7 (0-4 f); P Shiels 0-3; K Hinphey, R Gaffney, S McCrory, A Grant 0-1 each.

MUNSTER: A Nash; S O’Neill (both Cork), T Condon (Limerick), N Connors (Waterford); B Bugler (Clare), M Walsh (Waterford), W McNamara (Limerick); P Cronin (Cork), S McGrath (Tipperary); S Dowling (Limerick), P Maher (Tipperary); P O’Sullivan (Cork); G Mulcahy (Limerick), B O’Meara (Tipperary), P Horgan (Cork).

Subs for Munster: P Mahony (Waterford) for Horgan, S Daniels (Waterford) for Connors (both 51); G O’Mahony (Limerick) for Bugler, B Maher (Tipperary) for McGrath (both 54); S Sullivan (Waterford) for P Maher (61).

ULSTER: R McGarry (Antrim); M Warnock (Derry), A Graffin, K Stewart; N McAuley (all Antrim), L Hinphey (Derry), S McCrory (Antrim); B McFall (Antrim), K Hinphey; A Grant (both Derry); R Gaffney (Armagh), P Shiels; S McNaughton, N McManus (all Antrim), O McCloskey (Derry).

Subs for Ulster: C Carson (Antrim) for McFall (19); J Corvan (Armagh) for L Hinphey (h-t); E Clarke (Down) for McCloskey (46).

Referee: P Murphy (Carlow)


Munster 3-20 Ulster 1-14

Report from the RTE.ie web site

Munster crushed Ulster 3-20 to 1-14 in their M Donnelly Interprovincial Hurling semi-final clash at the Athletic Grounds. All the damage was done in the first half with three goals between the 14th and 19th minutes from Limerick’s Graeme Mulcahy (2) and Paudie O’Sullivan. Liam Sheedy’s side led by 3-12 to 1-04 at half-time but relied on free-taker Shane Dowling for most of their second half scores. Antrim’s Neil McManus led Ulster’s resistance with 1-07, including a 21st-minute goal, as he finished as the game’s top scorer

Ulster started with nine Antrim players and, for the first time in many years, no representative from Down who were in action the day before, beating Roscommon in the Kehoe Cup Shield. The home side took a third-minute lead through a McManus free and stayed with their opponents for the first 13 minutes, trailing by a respectable 0-04 to 0-03. It was not long before Munster started to find huge gaps and they scored three quick-fire goals from Mulcahy and Paudie O’Sullivan. Mulcahy scored 2-02 in the first-half, the Limerick forward giving Derry’s Michael Warnock probably the toughest test of his career. Patrick Horgan, one of five Cork men in the starting team, drilled over six frees during the opening period as Munster stretched their lead.

Ulster skipper McManus provided a much-needed goal for his team after 21 minutes. Shane McNaughton took a fine catch from Karl Stewart’s long puck and passed into McManus who did the rest. Paul Shiels then got Ulster’s first point in 18 minutes, brief respite against what was almost one-way traffic. Paudie O’Sullivan hit two points from out on the wing to add to his 16th-minute goal. Tipperary’s Brian O’Meara set up the first two goals and nice stick work put O’Sullivan through for Munster’s second major of the day. Mulcahy’s second goal demonstrated the space the Munster forwards were enjoying when he collected a long puck from the half-back and drilled the ball into the roof of the net.

Understandably, Munster took their foot off the gas in a pedestrian second half. Ulster outscored them by ten points to eight with McManus the player to shine in the second period. Munster only scored two points from play in the entire second 35 minutes, but Dowling’s six frees kept the scoreboard ticking over for them. Kevin Hinphey scored within 10 seconds of the restart and Antrim players accounted for five points in-a-row at one stage as Munster, never pushing beyond second gear, lost interest in the one-sided contest.

MUNSTER: A Nash; S O’Neill, T Condon, N Connors; B Bugler, M Walsh, W McNamara; P Cronin (0-01), S McGrath (0-01); S Dowling (0-07. 0-06f, 0-01 ’45’), P Maher, P O’Sullivan (1-02), G Mulcahy (2-02), B O’Meara (0-01), P Horgan (0-06,0-0 6f).
Subs used: S Daniels for Connors, P Mahony for Horgan (both 50 mins), B Maher for McGrath, G O’Mahony for Bugler (both 52), S Sullivan for Maher (60)

ULSTER: R McGarry; M Warnock, A Graffin, K Stewart; N McAuley, L Hinphey, S McCrory (0-01); B McFall, K Hinphey (0-01); A Grant (0-01), R Gaffney (0-01), P Shiels (0-03); S McNaughton, N McManus (1-07, 0-04f), O McCloskey
Subs used: C Corvan for McFall (18 mins), J Corvan for L Hinphey (half-time), E Clarke for McCloskey (45).



Match Preview

Sunday, February 17

M. Donnelly GAA Hurling Interprovincial Championship Semi-Finals

Ulster v Munster, Athletic Grounds, 12.30pm

Liam Sheedy takes a star-studded Munster squad to Armagh on Sunday for a semi-final clash with Gregory O’Kane’s Ulster, the first game of an exciting double bill of interprovincial action at the Athletic Grounds.

Sheedy was in charge of Munster last year when they were beaten at the same juncture by Leinster, so the former Tipperary boss will be keen to make amends given the province’s rich history in the competition. With 44 titles, their last coming in 2007, Munster are the most successful province in the long history of the competition formerly known as the Railway Cup. With seven players, Sheedy’s native Tipperary are the county with the highest representation in the panel, while Cork and Limerick each provide six squad members. Waterford (5) and Limerick (2) make up the 26-man selection. All told, Sheedy has a dazzling array of talent available to him, with Shane McGrath captaining the side.

O’Kane’s Ulster selection is dominated by Antrim players, with nine Saffrons named in the squad, while there are six Down and Derry men, as well as three from Armagh and two from Tyrone. Ulster were beaten heavily in their semi-final against Connacht last year, losing by 3-19 to 1-5 to a side made up entirely of Galway players. Ulster have never won the competition since its inception in 1927. The last time the sides met was in the semi-final back in October 2008, when Munster recorded a 2-14 to 1-12 victory at Fermoy. Eoin Kelly from Waterford top-scored for Munster with 1-5, while Séamus Callanan chipped in with 1-2. Down’s Paul Braniff hit 0-8 for Ulster and Shane McNaughton, who will feature on Sunday, scored their goal.

Ulster Hurling Squad: Ryan McGarry, Arron Graffin, Neal McAuley, Simon McRory, Barry McFall, Paul Shiels, Shane McNaughton, Neil McManus, Karl Stewart (all Antrim), Michael Warnock Liam Hinphey, Kevin Hinphey, Alan Grant, Oisín McCloskey, Conor Quinn (all Derry), Michael Ennis, Stephen Keith, Ciaran Coulter, Michael Hughes, Eoin Clarke, Danny Toner (all Down), Ryan Gaffney, Cathal Carville, Nathan Curry (all Armagh), Stephen Donnelly and Martin Grogan (both Tyrone).

Munster Hurling Squad: Brendan Cummins, Paul Curran, Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath, Patrick Maher, Brian O’Meara, Eoin Kelly (all Tipperary), Tom Condon, Donal O’Grady, Gavin O’Mahony, Wayne McNamara, Shane Dowling, Graeme Mulcahy (all Limerick), Anthony Nash, Shane O’Neill, Tom Kenny, Pa Cronin, Paudie O’Sullivan, Patrick Horgan (all Cork), Michael Walsh, Noel Connors, Shane Sullivan, Stephen Daniels, Páraic Mahony (all Waterford), Brendan Bugler, Colin Ryan (both Clare).

For the Record

Munster Ulster
Team Management Liam Sheedy
(Tipperary, Manager),
Jamesie O’Connor (Clare), Stephen Frampton (Waterford)
Gregory O’Kane (Antrim)
2012 Performance Lost to Leinster by 3-14 to 1-16 in the Semi-Final Lost to Connacht by 3-19 to 1-5 in the Semi-Final
Number of Hurling titles 44 0
Last Hurling Title 2007 N/A
Inter Provincial Hurling Record since 2000 Played – 17
Won – 10
Lost – 7
Drawn – 0

2013 M Donnelly Inter Provincial Hurling Fixtures

Semi-Finals (Extra time)

Sunday February 17th

@ Morgan Athletic Grounds Armagh       Munster v Ulster                          @ 12:30pm
@ O’Connor Park Tullamore                   Leinster v Connacht                     @ 2:00pm

Final (Extra time)

Sunday March 3rd

Inter Provincial Hurling – A look back

Munster have 44 Inter-Provincial Hurling titles. The breakdown by county of winning Munster Hurling captains is as follows – Cork (17), Tipperary (15), Waterford (5), Limerick (5) and Clare (2).

Sean Og Murphy (Cork), Christy Ring (Cork), Pat Stakelum (Tipperary), Tony Wall (Tipperary) and Jimmy Doyle (Tipperary) all captained Munster to win the Inter-Provincial Hurling title on 2 occasions.

On 2 separate occasions, Munster failed to win the Inter-Provincial competition for 5 consecutive campaigns (1971 to 1975 and 1986 to 1991).

3 of the last 8 Inter-Provincial Hurling Finals were played outside of Ireland – 2003 (Rome), 2005 (Boston) and 2009 (Abu Dhabi).

Leinster’s last 8 victories in this competition dating back to 1993 have been captained by Kilkenny players. 1993 (John Power), 1998 (Willie O’Connor), 2002 (Andy Comerford), 2003 (Michael Kavanagh), 2006 (Eddie Brennan), 2008 (Tommy Walsh), 2009 (JJ Delaney) and 2012 (Jackie Tyrell). The last non-Kilkenny captain of a winning Leinster hurling team was Aidan Fogarty (Offaly) in a 1988 victory over Connacht at Casement Park.

Since the competition began in 1927, only three Inter-Provincial Hurling Finals failed to produce a goal (1954, 1968 and 1997).

The competition was not played in 1990, 2010 and 2011.

Cork legend Christy Ring played for Munster for 23 consecutive seasons from 1941 to 1963, winning a total of 18 medals. John Doyle (Tipperary) won 8 Inter-Provincial medals

Last Munster Appearance in the Competition

2012 Semi-Final – Leinster 3-14 Munster 1-16 – Nowlan Park Kilkenny – February 19th

Munster Hurling Team: Donal Óg Cusack (Cork); Michael Cahill (Tipperary), Paul Curran (Tipperary), Tom Condon (Limerick); John Gardiner (Cork, 0-3, 0-2 frees, 0-1 65), Padraic Maher (Tipperary), Pat Donnellan (Clare, 0-1); Shane O’Sullivan (Waterford), Shane McGrath (Tipperary, 0-1); Pa Cronin (Cork, 0-1) Michael Walsh (Waterford, 0-1), Brendan Maher (Tipperary); John Conlon (Clare, 1-3), Eoin Kelly (Tipperary, Captain, 0-1 free), Pat Horgan (Cork, 0-3).

Subs: Donal O’Grady (Limerick) for Shane McGrath (39); Stephen Molumphy (Waterford) for Cronin (44), Gearoid Ryan (Tipperary), for Kelly (58), Kevin Moran (Waterford) for Donnellan (67), Pauric Mahony (Waterford, 0-2 frees)

Most Recent meeting – Munster v Ulster

October 25th 2008 at Fermoy – Munster 2-14 Ulster 1-12

Munster – Brendan Cummins (Tipperary); Conor O’Brien (Tipperary), Paul Curran (Tipperary), Seamus Hickey (Limerick); Brendan Bugler (Clare), Gerry Quinn (Clare), Declan Fanning (Tipperary); Brian O’Connell (Clare, 0-2), Tom Kenny (Cork); Tony Carmody (Clare, 0-2), Seamus Callanan (Tipperary, 1-2), Cathal Naughton (Cork, 0-1); Andrew O’Shaughnessy (Limerick), Eoin Kelly (Waterford, 1-5 – 1-1 65, 0-4 frees), Niall Gilligan (Clare, 0-1)

Subs: Ben O’Connor (Cork) for Gilligan (25), Paul Kelly (Tipperary, 0-1) for Naughton (47), Brian Corry (Cork) for Callanan (55), Donal O’Grady (Limerick) for O’Connell (60)

Ulster – R McGarry (Antrim); A Griffin (Antrim), N McGarry (Antrim), M Kettle (Antrim); G Clarke (Down), L Hinphey (Derry), J Campbell (Antrim); A Savage (Down), K McKeegan (Antrim, 0-1); K Stewart (Antrim, 0-1), K Hinphey (Derry, 0-1), P Braniff (Down, 0-8 – 0-6 frees, 0-1 65); S McNaughton (Antrim, 1-0), B McGourty (Down), P Shields (Antrim, 0-1)

Subs: N McManus (Antrim) for Kettle (15), P McCormack (Armagh) for McGourty (37), M Craig (Derry) for McKeegan (49)

Referee: Anthony Stapleton (Laois)

Last Inter Provincial Hurling Title for Munster

2007: Final – Munster 2-22 Connacht 2-19 played at Croke Park

Munster Team: Brian Murray (Limerick); Eoin Murphy (Murphy), Declan Fanning (Tipperary), Gerry Quinn (Clare); John Gardiner (Cork), Tony Browne (Waterford), Seamus Hickey (Limerick); Donal O’Grady (Limerick), Brian O’Connell (Clare); Shane McGrath (Tipperary), Ollie Moran (Limerick), Eoin Kelly (Waterford); John Mullane (Waterford, Captain), Dan Shanahan (Waterford), Lar Corbett (Tipperary)

Subs: Sean Óg Ó hAilpín (Cork) for O’Connell (Blood sub 20th minute to 49th minute); Niall Gilligan (Clare) for McGrath; Gerry O’Grady (Clare) for Murphy; Sean Óg Ó hAilpín for Quinn); Niall Moran for Ollie Moran); Mike O’Brien (Limerick) for Shanahan (Blood sub 58th minute to 64th minute). Gerry Kennedy (Tipperary), Sean O’Connor (Limerick), Michael Fitzgerald (Limerick), Jonothan Clancy (Clare). Conor O’Mahony (Tipperary), Michael Walsh (Waterford) and Timmy McCarthy (Cork) played in the semi-final.

Inter Provincial Hurling Roll Of Honour

Munster (44) – 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1934, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007

Leinster (28) – 1927, 1932, 1933, 1935, 1936, 1941, 1954, 1956, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012

Connacht (11) – 1947, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1999, 2004

Ulster (0)

List of Munster Inter Provincial Hurling Teams

Visit the Munster GAA web site at http://munster.gaa.ie/history/railway-cup-hurling/ to view the list of all the teams to represent Munster in the Inter Provincial Hurling competition.