Jimmy Smyth RIP

The legendary Clare hurler and former GAA administrator Jimmy Smyth has died, aged 82.

Commonly regarded as one of the finest hurlers ever produced by the Banner County, Jimmy Smyth leaves a rich legacy, having enjoyed a superb career as a player before going on to be a very well-respected and talented senior GAA administrator. Born on January 1, 1931, Jimmy had a very fruitful underage career, winning three Harty Cup and All-Ireland College’s titles with his school St. Flannan’s, and representing the Clare minor hurlers for five years.

A native of Ruan, he was first picked for the Clare senior team in 1948 and went on to have a very long career in the blue and gold jersey, not hanging up his hurl until the late 1960s. He won five senior Clare titles with Ruan, and was selected for Munster throughout his long playing career, winning eight Railway Cup medals.

He famously scored 6-4 in a Munster Championship match against Limerick in 1953, and his status as one of the all-time greats is reflected in his selection at right corner forward in the GAA Hurling Team of the Century of non All-Ireland winning players. He was also selected on the Munster Hurling Team of the Millennium in the same position. He was a close friend of the late Cork hurler Christy Ring, and the late Tipperary hurler John Doyle.

After his career with Clare ended, Jimmy worked in various capacities as an administrator for the GAA in Croke Park. Heavily involved in the area of fixtures, discipline and refereeing, Jimmy also played a big role in the organising of Central Congress from the 1970s onwards. He worked in Croke Park from the mid 1960s until 1988. After finishing at HQ, Jimmy completed degrees in Philosophy and Arts from Trinity College and the University of Limerick.

Corn Uí Mhuirí Senior A Football Semi-Final – St. Brendan’s Coll. Killarney 0-15 Col. Chríost Rí Cork 2-7

Brendan’s blitz sees off Chriost Ri

Report from the Irish Independent newspaper


Record winners St Brendan’s of Killarney remain on course for a 21st Corn Ui Mhuiri title after they came good in the second half to deny Colaiste Chriost Ri in the semi-final at Cloughduv. Trailing by 2-4 to 0-9 at half-time after Conor Horgan had twice found the net for the Cork city side, Brendan’s reeled off six unanswered points in the opening 15 minutes of the second half to seize the lead and, while they did not score after that, they had done enough. Chriost Ri got off to a fine start as Horgan punched Darren McGrath’s delivery to the net in the second minute. Six minutes before half-time, McGrath and Horgan linked in the same fashion to open up a 2-3 to 0-5 lead, but Conor Keane and Tony Brosnan cut the gap to a point by half-time. Kieran Murphy’s excellent fielding gave Brendan’s a platform and they stormed into the lead. Three frees by Horgan brought Chriost Ri to within two, but Brendan’s held out.

Scorers – St Brendan’s College: C Keane (1f), T Brosnan (2f) 0-5 each, K Murphy (1f), R O’Riordan 0-2 each, L Byrnes 0-1. Coláiste Chriost Ri: C Horgan 2-5 (0-5f), D Kerins, B Madden (0-1f) 0-1 each.

ST BRENDAN’S COLLEGE – A O’Connor; D Galvin, B Lynch, P Casey; D Lyne, J McCarrick, D Rice; K Murphy, J O’Neill; M Burns, T Brosnan, K Teahan; C Keane, R O’Riordan, L Byrnes. Subs: G Kelly for Lynch (h-t), J Kiely for Burns (48).

COLÁISTE CHRiOST Ri – C O’Donovan; D O’Neill, A O’Callaghan, C Walsh; E Compagno, A Nolan, D Kerins; S Cronin, D McGrath; J Good, B Madden, R Kennedy; R Haines, C Horgan, E Hill. Subs: M Russell for Walsh (29), K Hegarty for Hill (46), I O’Keeffe for Kennedy (52).

Ref – M Meade (Limerick)


Match Preview

Corn Uí Mhuirí Senior A.F Semi-final

Col. Chríost Rí Cork v St. Brendan’s Killarney 2.30.p.m. Cloughduv GAA Complex.

A battle of two of the major colleges’ footballing forces is sure to draw a big crowd to Cloghduv this Sunday. Chríost Rí have been improving all year and were very impressive in overcoming a combined a West Limerick Colleges team in the last eight of the competition. Alan Nolan dictated play from centre back for the Capwell school and his overall play was a joy to behold. However the Chríost Rí attack will need to be more clinical if they are to reach another decider. St. Brendan’s overcame St. Flannans in the last round, but the Clare school were extremely wasteful squandering three glorious goal chances. In the face of a second half onslaught the Sem stood strong and clung tenaciously to a lead they established early on in the game. This game is too hard to call and one expects a typical Cork/Kerry battle that will surely go to the wire.

Allianz Football League Division 1 – Dublin 1-11 Kerry 0-4

If anything this scoreline was kind to the Kingdom

Kerry 0-4 Dublin 1-11

The records keep on tumbling for Kerry but depressingly so.

By John Fogarty for the Irish Examiner newspaper

While last week’s defeat to Mayo had us scrambling for the history books for the last time Kerry didn’t score in a half of competitive football, yesterday’s statistics were more forthcoming. We were forewarned and forearmed. Not since a league semi-final against Cork in April 1989 had Kerry last recorded just four points in a game when they lost by six points.

Yesterday’s reverse in front of a 5,400 crowd in Fitzgerald Stadium was four points worse than that defeat all of 24 years ago and it also marked Dublin’s largest win over Kerry since their 0-18 to 1-3 league win in March 1998. Not to forget either that Patrick Curtin’s 22nd minute point, Kerry’s opening success in the game, was also the team’s first score in 65 minutes of league football. Was it worse than Castlebar? Perhaps a slight improvement but the stark fact is yesterday’s 10-point margin was probably as good as it could have got for the home team. But for Dublin’s 10 wides and Brendan Kealy denying Paddy Andrews in both halves when Bernard Brogan was better positioned, the scoreline could have been embarrassing for Kerry.

Brogan was in mean form for Dublin and had six of his seven points, four coming from play, clocked up by half-time when Kerry had the benefit of the wind. Kerry trailed 0-2 to 0-8 at the break and were relieved to see Dublin shoot six wides in the second half. The sum of Kerry’s efforts in the second half amounted to two frees, one a dubious one awarded to Tomás Ó Sé when he was swarmed by the Dublin defence. Ó Sé was one of his team’s best players on another afternoon to forget, especially for wing-forwards Michael Geaney and Michael O’Donoghue who disappointed with their passing. Kerry’s display was perhaps best summed up by Paddy Curtin in the 24th minute when he appeared to give up on a ball heading for the end-line. The crowd certainly felt he could have done better to retrieve it.

Dublin, like Mayo, weren’t spectacular but their best on the day was more than enough to see off this struggling Kerry outfit, who at least saw Declan O’Sullivan and Kieran Donaghy brought into the fray as second half substitutes. Donaghy was yellow-carded for his involvement in a 58th-minute incident, which saw Michael Darragh Macauley dismissed after referee David Coldrick consulted with his umpires.

Jim Gavin made no excuses for Macauley, who is his second midfielder to pick up a straight red card in three games following Denis Bastick’s sending off in the O’Byrne Cup final. However, he did point out his player was cut on his face. “He has got a facial wound, shall we say. He reacted, which isn’t the right thing to do, I don’t accept it but he reacted so the two guys obviously were striking. “I didn’t see it myself because that dugout is quite low. If he says he struck, he deserves to go off.”

Macauley’s sending off and Diarmuid Connolly’s first-half ankle injury were the two setbacks on an otherwise good day for Dublin, who are now top of the league along with Tyrone and Kildare. Gavin said of Connolly: “He’s on crutches. He’s icing it. He will probably get a scan in the next 24 hours. He’ll wait until the swelling goes down to see what damage is done but he’s in good spirits.” The Dublin manager admitted they could have inflicted a much more emphatic defeat on Kerry. “We have a lot of work to do on the training field on their shooting. The quality was questionable at times but I suppose from a coaching perspective at least we created those opportunities. But the Kerry defence played quite well, they were tight on their guys, every time there was a shot going off there was pressure being put on so you have to give them credit as well.”

Fitzmaurice now has three weeks to regroup and, after six weekends out on the trot, convalesce. He might lose some of his players to Munster when they face Ulster in next Sunday’s M Donnelly Interprovincial semi-final but at least he can batten down the hatches. There is a broad understanding in Kerry that he has been working with slim pickings since the start of the year but it has a limit.

Scorers for Kerry: P Curtin, T Ó Sé, J O’Donoghue (f), M O’Donoghue (f) 0-1 each.

Subs for Kerry: Declan O’Sullivan for Walsh, K Donaghy for Keane (both 42); B Sheehan for Geaney, BJ Walsh for M O’Donoghue (both 54); C Cox for Curtin (68).

Scorers for Dublin: B Brogan 0-7 (3f); P Andrews 0-3; C Dias 1-0; P Ryan 0-1 (f).

Subs for Dublin: P Ryan for Connolly (inj 28); C Dias for Reddin (h-t); D Nelson for Daly (48); D O’Mahony for Ryan (63).

Red card: MD Macauley (58, straight)

Referee: David Coldrick (Meath)


Allianz Football League Division I: Kerry 0-4 Dublin 1-11

Report from the GAA.ie web site

Dublin made it two wins out of two in Division I with a convincing victory over a very poor Kerry side at Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday. Éamonn Fitzmaurice’s team showed no discernible improvement from their dismal showing against Mayo last weekend, when they failed to score in the second half, while for Jim Gavin’s Dublin, there was lots to be encouraged by in a performance full of verve and endeavour.

Dublin led 0-8 to 0-2 at the break after a first half which they completely dominated. Bernard Brogan, unsurprisingly, was the main scoring threat for Dublin throughout and he led the way in the first half, hitting 0-5 in the opening 35 minutes. Kerry failed to score for the first 20 minutes of the game, meaning that added to their non-scoring exploits from last week, they went around an hour of Allianz Football League action without scoring a single point.

Kerry brought on Kieran Donaghy and Bryan Sheehan in an attempt to stem the tide after the interval, but it made little difference. However, the dismissal of Dublin midfielder Michael Darragh Macauley briefly gave some hope to Kerry, who had edged to 0-9 to 0-4 behind by that stage.

The red card didn’t seem to have an effect on Dublin whatsoever, as they struck for the game’s only goal shortly afterwards, with around 10 minutes left on the clock. It was Craig Dias who got it, finishing smartly to the top of the Kerry net after a fine assist from Broganl. That put Dublin nine points ahead, and Kerry were a spent force for the final 10 minutes, as they laboured in vain to claw back some of the large lead Dublin had built up. Next up for Kerry in Division I are away trips to Kildare and Donegal. If they fail to win at least one of those games, they will find themselves in a relegation battle.

Team News

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Dublin in Round 2 of the Allianz Football League in Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney on Sunday next shows 3 changes from the team that started against Mayo in Round 1 – Tomás Ó Sé starts at number 6 with Peter Crowley moving to the corner to the exclusion of Shane Enright, Bryan Sheehan takes over from the club-tied Johnny Buckley at midfield and Barry John Keane comes in for Conor Cox at corner forward. The team, captained by Anthony Maher is as follows:

1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

2. Marc Ó Sé An Gaeltacht

3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore

4. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion

6. Tomás Ó Sé An Gaeltacht

7. Killian Young Renard

8. Anthony Maher Duagh (Capt)

9. Bryan Sheehan St Marys

10. Michael Geaney Dingle

11. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh/Glencar

12. Michael O’Donoghue Spa

13. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

14. Patrick Curtin Moyvane

15. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion

17. Shane Enright Tarbert

18. Conor Cox Listowel Emmetts

19. Brian Maguire Listowel Emmetts

20. Shane Carroll Austin Stacks

21. Andrew Garnett Spa

22. David Culhane Ballylongford

23. Barry John Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

24. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilemore

25. Darragh O’Sullivan Dingle

26. James Walsh Knocknagoshel

The team features 8 of the side defeated by Donegal in the All Ireland Qtr Finals last August. Bryan Sheehan, and Barry John Keane who was originally picked to start, were both introduced as substitutes against Mayo. Shane Enright picked up a slight hamstring strain in that game. Both Jack Sherwood and Paul Geaney, both of whom were originally picked to face Mayo, but who subsequently picked up injuries in training, are recovering from injury and were not available for selection. James Walsh has been added to the panel for Sunday’s game.

The following players are unavailable for Selection:


Paul Geaney Hamstring Due back Rd 3 of the NFL

Jack Sherwood Groin Due back Rd 3 of the NFL

Declan O’Sullivan Wear & Tear Due Back Latter Stages of NFL

David Moran Cruciate Due back latter stages NFL

Donnacadha Walsh Hip/Groin Due back Championship

Stephen O’Brien Shoulder Due Back Latter stages NFL


Kieran Donaghy Honeymoon Due back Rd 3 NFL

Club Tied:

Colm Cooper, Eoin Brosnan, Kieran O’Leary, Brian Looney, Fionn Fitzgerald, Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes).

Paul Galvin (Finuge) Due back Rd 3 NFL

Paul O’Connor (Kenmare) Due Back Rd 3 NFL

Allianz Football League Division 4 – Limerick 0-12 Offaly 1-8

Limerick pounce late for points

By Alan Walsh for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Offaly 1-8 Limerick 0-12

Eoghan O’Connor’s brilliant 68th minute point proved decisive as Limerick were rewarded for digging deep as they fought back from twice being a goal adrift to secure their second successive victory in Division 4 of the Allianz League at O’Connor Park, Tullamore yesterday. Having accounted for Leitrim the previous week, this was a significant triumph for Maurice Horan’s charges in terms of their drive for promotion from the basement division.

Facing the elements, Limerick deployed centre-forward John Riordan as an extra defender during the first half and this tactic suffocated the supply to Offaly dangerman and captain Niall McNamee, who shook off a quad injury to take his place in the starting line-up. Brian Connor’s 10th minute goal, following a delightful McNamee pass, provided Offaly with a 1-1 to 0-2 lead.

Both sides added five more points apiece before half-time. Limerick goalkeeper Brian Scanlon expertly converted two long-range frees, while Ian Ryan slotted over two frees closer to the target and corner-back Mark O’Riordan popped up with a 30th minute equalising point, 1-4 to 0-7. Two McNamee points, one after Scanlon misdirected a kickout that was gathered by Anton Sullivan, gave Offaly a 1-6 to 0-7 interval cushion.

Just as Limerick packed their defence in the opening half, Offaly did likewise, deploying Sullivan in a deep role. Offaly also emerged for the second half with a changed set of jerseys as the back of the ones they started the game with looked very similar to their opponents. Referee Shane Hehir was fussy, blowing for almost 50 frees and he brandished ten yellow cards in all as both teams were focused on containment. And with the threat of a possible second yellow hanging over them Offaly sub Shane Sullivan was called ashore after just 11 minutes on the pitch, while Limerick also withdrew O’Riordan. Graham Guilfoyle’s 41st minute point left a goal separating the sides, 1-7 to 0-7, and with Offaly becoming increasingly defensive, Limerick were patient as they went about trying to carve out scoring opportunities.

The second half was seventeen minutes old when half back Stephen Lavin clipped over Limerick’s first point since the 30th minute and they simply grew in confidence after this. Eoghan O’Connor and Ryan (free) levelled proceedings for the third occasion, 1-7 to 0-10, by the 58th minute. McNamee missed a free he’d usually convert but when Brian Darby surged forward and set up Connor for his second point it regained the lead for the visitors. With Limerick dominating the midfield stakes through Bobby O’Brien and Thomas Lee, they refused to panic. Accurate Ryan, with his fifth point (fourth from a free) levelled it and O’Connor’s excellent 68th minute point ensured that Limerick claimed the spoils against an Offaly side that failed to make their scoring opportunities count.

Offaly did have a last-gasp chance to salvage something from the encounter but Sean Pender’s strike flew wide when he might have better advised to fist over for a levelling point. Overall the Treaty County were much more economical as they amassed just three wides, whereas Offaly manager Emmet McDonnell was left to rue the ten that his side recorded.

OFFALY: A Mulhall; B Darby, E Rigney, S Pender; D Hanlon, D Kelly, G Guilfoyle 0-1; A McNamee, M Brazil; R Brady, B Connor 1-2, E Carroll; N McNamee 0-4 (0-3 f), B Allen, A Sullivan 0-1.

Subs: P Cunningham for Carroll (31 mins), S Sullivan for Brazil (44), R Dalton for Allen (51), P McConway for S Sullivan (55), J Moloney for A McNamee (61).

LIMERICK: B Scanlon 0-2 f; C Coady, J McCarthy, M O’Riordan 0-1; S Lavin 0-1, P Browne, P Ranahan; T Lee, B O’Brien; J O’Meara, J O’Riordan 0-1, D O’Connor; E O’Connor 0-2, G Collins, I Ryan 0-5 (0-4 f).

Subs: M Sheehan for Coady (46 mins), S O’Carroll for O’Meara (48), I Corbett for D O’Connor (51), L O’Dwyer for O’Riordan (60).

Referee: S Hehir, Galway


Offaly 1-8 Limerick 0-12

Report from the GAA.ie web site

Limerick made it two wins out of two in Division IV so far with an impressive comeback victory over Offaly at O’Connor Park on Sunday. Brian Connor’s goal put Offaly 1-1 to 0-2 ahead early in the first half, and the Faithful County remained two points ahead at half-time, going in 1-6 to 0-7 in front. With 20 minutes to go, the lead was three but Maurice Horan’s Limerick side produced a battling final quarter to grab the win.

Points from Stephen Lavin and Eoghan O’Connor brought them within one of Offaly, and then Ian Ryan tied it up with just under 15 minutes to go. The sides remained level going into the final five minutes, but O’Connor knocked over the winning score a few minutes before the end, and Limerick held on for a fine away win.

Team News

The Limerick Senior Football team to play Offaly on Sunday next in Tullamore at 2.00pm is as follows –

1 Brian Scanlan

2 Cian Coady

3 Johnny McCarthy

4 Mark O’Riordan

5 Stephen Lavin

6 Paudie Browne

7 Pa Ranahan

8 Thomas Lee

9 Bobby O’Brien

10 James O’Meara

11 John Riordan

12 Derry O’Connor

13 Eoghan O’Connor

14 Ger Collins

15 Ian Ryan


Allianz Football League Division 4 – Clare 1-14 Leitrim 2-8

Tubridy leads charge as Clare’s second-half surge decisive

By P J Leddy for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Leitrim 2-8 Clare 1-14

Clare came from behind to defeat Leitrim comfortably in Carrick-on-Shannon after turning in a superb second-half performance, led by David Tubridy, Mark McCarthy, Gary Brennan and Cathal O’Connor. Leitrim dominated the opening 24 minutes, after which they led 1-5 to 0 -1. Emlyn Mulligan orchestrated matters for the hosts, hitting 0-3 and creating a goal for Conor Beirne. David Tubridy answered with a point from a fifth minute free but then the game was delayed for eight minutes following an injury to Leitrim’s Adrian Croal. When the action resumed Clare rallied and closed the gap to the minimum by the break (1-5 to 1-4) with points from Tubridy and Shane McGrath, along with a fine Mark McCarthy goal.

Sub Rory Donnelly had Clare level within a minute of the restart but Paddy McGowan edged Leitrim ahead with a point soon after. But then it was all Clare, with Tubridy and Podge McMahan leading by example as Mick O’Dwyer’s men landed seven points without reply. Emlyn Mulligan had a late goal for the hosts. The only black mark against Clare was the dismissal of Martin McMahon for a foul on Mulligan.

Scorers for Clare: D. Tubridy 0-5(4fs.); M. McCarthy 1-1, S. McGrath, G. Brennan, 0-2 (each), R. Donnelly, P. McMahon, G. Kelly, C. O’Connor, 0-1 (each).

Scorers for Leitrim: E. Mulligan 1-4(3fs.), C. Beirne 1-0, W. McKeon 0-2, P. McGowan, D. Beck, 0-1 (each).

CLARE: J. Hayes; L. Healy, S. McNeilis, E. Coughlan; D. Callinan, G. Kelly, M. McMahon; G. Brennan, C. O’Connor; S. McGrath, A. Clohessy, C. Dunning; M. McCarthy, P. McMahon, D. Tubridy.

Subs: R. Donnelly for Dunning (22), N. Kelly for McMahon (66), C. Duggan for McCarthy (71).

LEITRIM: C. McCrann; D. Beck, C. Egan, P. Maguire; C. Clarke, P. Brennan, A. Wynne; W. McKeon, P. McGowan; A. Croal, E. Mulligan, G. Hickey; C. Beirne, J. Glancy, K. Conlan.

Subs: B. Flynn for McCrann (22), B. McDonald for Croal (26), C. Reynolds for Hickey (HT), S. McWeeney for Egan (42), R. Cox for Conlan

Referee: P. Neilan (Roscommon)


Clare 1-14 Leitrim 2-8

Report from the GAA.ie web site

Clare produced an impressive comeback against Leitrim on Sunday to take the points in their Division IV clash at Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada. Leitrim were in total control after 25 minutes, leading 1-5 to 0-1, with Conor Beirne fisting their goal. However, following a lengthy stoppage for an injury to Leitrim’s Adrian Croal, Clare came back strongly and went in just one point behind at the interval at 1-5 to 1-4 thanks to a goal from David Tubridy.

Mick O’Dwyer’s side then took charge after the restart, and points from Podge McMahon, Gary Brennan and Shane McGrath put them three clear. Leitrim got back within two, but then Clare hit five points without reply to lead 1-14 to 1-7 going into injury-time. Leitrim captain Emlyn Mulligan scored 1-1 from two frees for Leitrim in the injury time minutes, but it still left Leitrim short, and the result means it’s two defeats out of two for them in Division IV.