All-Ireland Colleges Senior Hurling A Final – Nenagh CBS 3-10 Kilkenny CBS 2-11

Star man Forde hails Nenagh determination

Report from the Irish Independent newspaper

Nenagh CBS 3-10 Kilkenny CBS 2-11

NENAGH CBS became the third Tipperary school to win this title following a hard-fought victory in Thurles on Saturday. The victory completed a remarkable year for the north Tipperary school, who wouldn’t have been many people’s tip for the Munster title, let alone the All-Ireland.”We couldn’t have dreamed of this at the start of the year,” said captain Jason Forde. “Looking at our record over the last few years, nobody could have forecast that we would be here doing it, but sheer guts and determination got us here.”

Despite not being 100pc having suffered from the flu in the build-up to the game, Forde was once again Nenagh’s key man, scoring 2-2 and setting up his side’s third goal for Silvermines clubmate Paudie Fogarty, which began the Nenagh charge after a slow start. Joint-manager Donach O’Donnell said the victory was just reward for the manner in which the team developed throughout the campaign. “Those guys did it the hard way. They defeated Thurles CBS, Ardscoil Ris, St Kieran’s (Kilkenny), who were going for three in a row, and if they didn’t win today, it wouldn’t have been right. “They deserve it — they are a great bunch.”

Kilkenny CBS will be disappointed that they failed to build on their strong start, with Philly Campion opening the scoring, followed by a fourth-minute Shane Cuddihy goal. They stretched their lead with two points from full-forward Morgan Clifford before Nenagh went on a storming finish to the half which yielded 2-3 in a five-minute spell. Firstly, Forde played in Fogarty in the 26th minute and two minutes later Forde latched onto a long ball before coolly slotting past Darragh Houlihan. Further points from Forde and Stephen O’Brien helped Nenagh into a three-point lead at the break. However, Kilkenny started the second half the better side, with points from Kevin Kenny and the excellent Clifford cutting the margin.

The crucial third goal for Nenagh came in the 37th minute when Forde latched onto a long ball and pulled first time to the corner of the net. O’Brien and two points each from James Mackey and Killian Gleeson kept Nenagh in control. Kilkenny CBS produced a strong finish but time ran out as Nenagh hung on to deservedly lift the Croke Cup.

SCORERS — Nenagh: J Forde 2-2 (2f), J Mackey 0-3, P Fogarty 1-0, S O’Brien, K Gleeson 0-2 each, S Geaney 0-1. Kilkenny: M Clifford 0-4, O McGrath 0-3f, S Cuddihy, N Mullins 1-0 each, P Campion, E Fennelly, K Kenny, R Buckley 0-1 each.

NENAGH CBS — W Power; S Cleary, K Gubbins, D Quinn; E Hynes, J Peters, J Flaherty; J Loughnane, S Geaney; T Gallagher, S O’Brien, K Gleeson; P Fogarty, J Forde, J Mackey. Subs: D Peters for Quinn (52), C Delaney for Gubbins (59).

KILKENNY CBS — D Houlihan; S Cassin, E Cody, C McGrath; N Mullins, O McGrath, R Fitzpatrick; D Sheehan, J Langton; C Doyle, S Cuddihy, P Campion; K Kenny, M Clifford, E Fennelly. Subs: L Scanlon for Campion (40), D Bolger for Sheehan (46), R Buckley for Cuddihy (46), P Delahunty for Fennelly (58).

REF — C McAllister (Cork)