Allianz Hurling League Division 1 – Kilkenny 2-16 Waterford 1-13

Kilkenny defeated Waterford by 2-16 to 1-13 in the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday at Nowlan Park Kilkenny.

Allianz Hurling League Division 2 – Limerick 3-18 Carlow 1-15

Limerick defeated Carlow by 3-18 to 1-15 in Round 5 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 2 on Sunday at Dr. Cullen Park Carlow.

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 – Cork 1-14 Tipperary 1-14

Cork and Tipperary played out an exciting draw in Round 5 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 on Sunday at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

No advantage in cagey encounter

By KEITH DUGGAN at Páirc Uí Chaoimh for the Irish Times newspaper

ALLIANZ HURLING LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Cork 1-14 Tipperary 1-14: THIS WAS such a cagey match that even Ben O’Connor, Cork’s most reliable of sharpshooters, couldn’t separate the teams from a dead-ball opportunity in the very last seconds. Even as the home voices among a decent crowd of 7,782 began to roar approval his free – awkwardly angled but well within his compass – came back off the post and was swept up by the Tipperary defenders. It brought about the fairest result to a match in which both teams were clearly in self-discovery mode and which in all likelihood ends their ambitions of adding to their haul of league silverware this year.

Of more immediate concern to the All-Ireland champions was the first-half injury to Paddy Stapleton, who joins Brendan Maher on Tipperary’s extensive injury list. The Borrisoleigh man collapsed in a heap after Cork’s towering forward Michael Cussen crashed through him on his way to making a spectacular catch. There was nothing malicious about the collision – in fact, the resultant free went to the Cork men – but Stapleton took a hard knock to the back of his head. “Paddy is gone to hospital,” Declan Ryan confirmed as he stood outside the Tipperary dressingroom afterwards. “Provisional examination shows he might have some whip damage but we don’t know the extent of it yet. The injuries are piling up. We are heading to Galway now and we are going to use it as preparation for the championship. “All of these games are better than training. I think the second half wasn’t far off championship intensity and I think we can be happy enough with the way our guys stuck to the task even after John O’Brien got sent off.”

O’Brien’s dismissal for a second yellow card after he became entangled with the excellent Eoin Cadogan, occurred with just two minutes left and Tipperary defending a one-point lead. A period of open play had flared immediately after half-time, with Luke Farrell finding the net for Cork after Brendan Cummins managed to block Cian McCarthy’s initial strike. Cork followed that with a beautiful point from Cathal Naughton but the daylight wasn’t long closing: Benny Dunne goaled for Tipperary in the 41st minute after a direct run at the Cork goal and then Pa Bourke scored a 65 to level the scores again. “Yeah, Benny got a great goal there,” Ryan said. “It was very important from a management point of view to see that kind of response. Whether we are out of contention or not, we are going to be trying our best for the next two games. This day eight weeks we are playing championship and that is the focal point for us.” Gearóid Ryan had a strong match at midfield for Tipperary and in addition to his goal, Dunne landed a fine first-half point and took some heavy challenges over the afternoon.

Noel McGrath exhibited his trademark vision and sweet touch in an understated performance but as a unit, Tipperary’s attack never fully motored. Lar Corbett had an exceptionally quiet afternoon, one of three starting forwards who did not score from play. And it wasn’t as if they were squandering chances: just five wides in the match, four of those from well struck attempts from deep (including a free and 65) by Pa Bourke. But they were stout in defence, with Pádraic Maher a dominant figure at number six, particularly after Stapleton’s departure.

The Cork attack fired sporadically also. The quest to convert Tom Kenny into a right-half forward was not greatly advanced by today’s evidence, as the Grenagh man had to content himself with scrapping on the fringes rather than making a more explosive impact from deep in the midfield. Cork’s forward thrust came from familiar sources, Cadogan and John Gardiner, who worked a wonderfully fly first-half point from a free for Ronan Curran to land, a piece of improvisation which caught Tipp nodding. Jamie Nagle, making his full league debut as a late replacement for Brian Murphy, enjoyed an auspicious start, holding his own patch of ground and sweeping across the Cork half-back line when required. Stephen McDonnell had a comfortable afternoon at corner back for the home team.

Cian McCarthy finished with three fine points to his name, including an excellent sideline cut, while Pa Cronin grew more authoritative at midfield as the game wore on, claiming a puck-out from Donal Óg Cusack and landing an excellent point in the 44th minute – which once again gave the home team a narrow lead, 1-9 to 1-8 at this stage. But crisp, quick scores like that were rare. Everything was contested and much was scrappy. The exchanges heated up in the second half, with Jerry O’Connor’s cracking point on 50 minutes – a clean, low drive from 70 metres after a quick flick from Pa Cronin – perhaps the highlight of the day. As the minutes ticked on, the match tightened up and Bill Cooper won a free in front of the stand which set O’Connor up for a last-gasp crack at victory.

CORK : D Óg Cusack; S McDonnell, E Cadogan, S Murphy; J Gardiner (0-2, frees), R Curran (0-1), J Nagle; L McLoughlin, P Cronin (0-1); T Kenny, C McCarthy (0-3, 0-1 sideline), C Naughton (0-1); B O’Connor (0-4, frees), M Cussen, L Farrell (1-1). Subs : J O’Connor (0-1) for McLoughlin (33 mins), N McCarthy for Naughton (54 mins), P Horgan for Kenny (55 mins), P O’Sullivan for Cussen (59 mins), B Cooper for McCarthy (66 mins).

TIPPERARY : B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; J O’Keeffe, Pa Maher, D Young; G Ryan (0-1), S McGrath; B Dunne (1-2), N McGrath (0-3), P Maher; S Bourke, P Bourke (0-6, 0-3 frees, 0-2 65s), L Corbett. Subs : E Connolly for Stapleton (15 mins, inj), B O’Meara (0-1) for S Bourke (half-time), J O’Brien (0-1) for P Maher (53 mins), M Gleeson for S McGrath (62 mins), J Coghlan for Young (69 mins).

Referee: M Wadding (Waterford).


All thoughts turn to Thurles

Cork 1-14 Tipperary 1-14

By Diarmuid O’Flynn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, March 28, 2011

A CRACKING second half to this Allianz NHL game in Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday really whet the appetite for the May 29 championship opener between these two sides in Thurles. Both had late opportunities to take maximum points but that would have been harsh as neither side deserved to lose. “Doesn’t do either side any favours for the league,” said Tipperary manager Declan Ryan, “but it doesn’t do either side any harm for May 29 either,” which just about summed things up.

Tied for fifth and sixth spot before the game, both teams really needed a win to keep their slim play-off hopes alive. They are not completely out if yet but must rely on Galway and Kilkenny — now the two teams on top — to suffer a collapse in form and lose both their two remaining games to sneak in. On Ryan’s second point, again there can be very little debate — May 29 in Thurles has been the focus for both these two sides.

Tipperary began well, looking every inch the champions they are, and were three points in front after five minutes thanks to Pa Bourke, Noel McGrath and the evergreen Benny Dunne. Soon, however, and inspired by an outstanding half-back line of John Gardiner, Ronan Curran and late call-up James Nagle, who had a terrific game, Cork settled down and by the ninth minute had tied it up at three points apiece. That was all thanks to the dangerous Luke O’Farrell, Cian McCarthy — who troubled Padraic Maher at centre-back — and a long free from the superb Gardiner. From there to the break it was nip-and-tuck, Tipp nosing ahead 0-7 to 0-6 thanks mainly to the accuracy from placed balls of Bourke but it was poor fare, Cork especially careless with seven wides, against just one registered by Tipp.

Both defences were on top, the full-back line of Stephen McDonnell, Eoin Cadogan and Shane Murphy doing well, while for Tipperary Paul Curran was dealing comfortably with the aerial threat provided by Michael Cussen. The second half saw a huge improvement in the hurling standard, Cork opening with a bang — a goal from a narrow angle by O’Farrell after Brendan Cummins had done well to deny Cussen. Points by Cathal Naughton and Cian McCarthy followed to put Cork four points in front, the majority in the near 8,000 crowd roaring them on. Then came a rare error by the defence, allowing Benny Dunne an almost free run from wide right to shoot one-handed and beat the advancing Donal Óg Cusack.

That goal put Tipperary right back in it the game and a point from a Bourke 65 soon levelled matters. From there to the finish, and just as it had been in the first half, it was tit-for-tat, never more than two points between the sides. Ben O’Connor hit a point, brother Jerry converted a boomer from midfield and partner Pa Cronin did likewise for Cork, with Benny Dunne, subs O’Meara and John O’Brien and midfielder Gearoid Ryan doing the scoring for Tipperary. Approaching the final minutes it was Cork two points behind, 1-14 to 1-12.

Twice thereafter Ben O’Connor did the business from placed balls for Cork, only to be denied by the post with a last-second effort from wide right on the 20m line. The game does leave Cork manager Denis Walsh with something of a selection headache — who will he pick for that May date? “I don’t know!” he said; “If you take James Nagle, coming in today for his first start and really, really did well, and he’s still U-21. “In midfield I thought Lorcán (McLoughlin) was good until he got a knock, he was carrying a shoulder injury coming in. Stephen McDonnell was answering a lot of questions and Shane Murphy came in and did very well. “I’m going to have a headache deciding, there’s no doubt about that,” he added.

For Tipp boss Ryan, injuries are the main concern, with two All Stars — Brendan Maher (broken ankle) and Eoin Kelly (broken finger) — ruled out yesterday, and Paddy Stapleton taken off yesterday. “Paddy is gone to hospital, provisional examinations show that he might have some rib damage but we don’t know the exact extent of it yet — the injuries are piling up.”

Subs for Cork: J O’Connor for McLoughlin (32), N McCarthy for Naughton (53), P Horgan for Kenny (55), P O’Sullivan for Cussen (58), B Cooper for McCarthy (67).

Subs for Tipperary: E Connolly for Stapleton (15), B O’Meara for S Bourke (35), J O’Brien for Patrick Maher (52), M Gleeson for S McGrath (62), J Coghlan for Young (70).

Scorers for Cork: L O’Farrell 1-1; B O’Connor 0-4 (4f); C McCarthy 0-3 (1 s/l); J Gardiner 0-2 (2f), R Curran, P Cronin, C Naughton, J O’Connor, 0-1 each.

Scorers for Tipperary: P Bourke 0-6 (5f, 1 ‘65); B Dunne 1-2; N McGrath 0-3; G Ryan, B O’Meara, J O’Brien (0-1 each).

Referee: M Wadding (Waterford)


Honours even between Cork and Tipp

From the web site

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cork 1-14 Tipperary 1-14

Any lingering hopes Cork and Tipperary had of making the Allianz Hurling League final have been all but extinguished after the great Munster rivals played out a 1-14 to 1-14 at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon. Neither manager will be too dismayed, though, as both sides will have gained far more from this thrilling encounter on Leeside. Dubbed as a dress rehearsal for the Munster GAA Hurling Championship quarter-final between the sides on May 29, hurling fans all over the country will be in for a major treat if the main event can come close to matching the drama of this Leeside thriller. In an edge-of-the-seat finale, John Gardiner levelled the game for the Rebels in injury time with a brilliantly-struck long-range free, before Ben O’Connor thought he had filched both points for the home side only to be denied by the post.

“The players are a bit disappointed in there and I am myself because we felt we played well enough to win the game,” said Cork manager Denis Walsh. “Saying that it was probably a fair result because Tipperary played well enough as well.” While the first half was interesting, there were few signs of the pyrotechnics to come, as Pa Bourke notched four points from frees to leave the Premier County 0-7 to 0-6 to the good at the break. Cian McCarthy, the son of former dual star Teddy, grabbed two points from play in the first half for Cork, one of which was a sweetly struck sideline cut from 50 metres out.

The Rebels took little time to scrub Tipperary’s lead, as they made an ideal start to the second half when corner forward Luke O’Farrell drove home a fine goal after Michael Cussen’s close-range shot had been blocked. When Cathal Naughton added a point in the next attack, the Rebels had a three-point cushion. The All-Ireland champions were back on level terms when Benny Dunne cut through the Cork defence and finished with a low shot to the back of Dónal Óg Cusack’s net. Ben O’Connor and midfielder Patrick Cronin, with a brilliant point from midfield, nudged Cork back into the lead, but three points in succession, the third coming from substitute John O’Brien, gave Tipperary the advantage going into the closing stages.

O’Brien was then sent off for a second yellow card offence after he was involved in an off-the-ball incident with Cork full back Eoin Cadogan, but it appeared as if his point would be enough to land the two points on offer. However, Gardiner restored parity with a late free and then came the moment of high drama. Cork were awarded a free from a tight angle after Bill Cooper was fouled under the covered stand, but Ben O’Connor and Cork were denied when the Newtownshandrum man’s free hit the left hand post and dropped back into play.

Team News

The Tipperary team to play Cork in the Allianz hurling league on Sunday shows 4 changes from the team which defeated Offaly in the last round. Paddy Stapleton, Shane McGrath, Shane Bourke and Lar Corbett come into the side in place of Eddie Connolly, Brendan Maher (injured), Paul Kelly and Eoin Kelly (injured). It will be Shane Bourke’s first time to start a league game for Tipperary having made his debut as a substitute against Offaly.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

2. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Captain

4. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)

5. John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty Rossmore)

6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

7. David Young (Toomevara)

8. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

10. Benny Dunne (Toomevara)

11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)

13. Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)

14. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)


The Cork team to play Tipperary in the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday at 2.30pm in Páirc Uí Chaoimh lines out as follows:

1. Dónal Óg Cusack

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Eoin Cadogan 4. Shane Murphy

5. John Gardiner 6. Ronan Curran 7. Brian Murphy

8. Lorcán McLoughlin 9. Pa Cronin

10. Tom Kenny 11. Cian McCarthy 12. Cathal Naughton

13. Ben O’Connor 14. Michael Cussen 15. Luke O’Farrell

16 Anthony Nash Kanturk

17 Eoin Dillon Milford

18 Conor O’Sullivan Sarsfields

19 Mark Ellis Millstreet

20 Graham Callanan Glen Rovers

21 Jerry O’Connor Newtownshandrum

22 Niall McCarthy Carrigtwohill

23 Patrick Horgan Glen Rovers

24 Paudie O’Sullivan Cloyne

25 Bill Cooper Youghal

26 Jamie Coughlan Newtownshandrum

The game will be broadcast live on C103, and there will also be live updates on the Cork GAA Twitter page at!/OfficialCorkGAA

Allianz Football League Division 4 – Clare 1-7 Longford 0-8

Clare edge out Longford

Clare 1-7 Longford 0-8

By Gerry Quinn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, March 28, 2011

CLARE had two points to spare over Longford at Cusack Park, Ennis yesterday. The home-side enjoyed a 1-6 to 0-4 advantage at the break. Although they only managed one score in the second period, a long range David Tubridy pointed free, it still proved enough for their third win of this campaign. Longford for their part were far too reliant on corner-forward Sean McCormack for scores, while man of the match Gary Brennan supplied the game’s only goal with a fisted effort deep into injury-time in the opening half.

Scorers for Clare: D Tubridy 0-6 (4f), G Brennan 1-1 (0-1f).

Scorers for Longford: S McCormack 0-6 (3f), N Mulligan, F McGee 0-1 each.

CLARE: J Hayes; B Duggan, L Healy, M McMahon; K Hartnett, G Kelly, S McNeilis; C O’Connor, G Brennan; M Tubridy, John Hayes, M Foran; A Clohessy, N Browne, D Tubridy.

Subs: S Brennan for O’Connor inj. (18), E Lyons for Foran (34), D O’Neill for Lyons (48), D Blake for John Hayes (56), D O’Connor for M Tubridy (64).

LONGFORD: D Sheridan; D Brady, B Gilleran, D Reilly; S Mulligan, D Masterson, N Farrell; M Brady, B McElvanney; D Barden, P Barden, N Mulligan; D McElligott, P Dowd, S McCormack.

Subs: B Kavanagh for Dowd (34), F McGee for Mulligan (43), K Diffley for McElvanney (inj. 56), P Foy for Masterson (58), K Mulligan for McElligott (69).

Referee: L Devaney (Mayo)