Allianz Hurling League Division 2 – Clare 5-22 Down 0-6

Clare 5-22 Down 0-6

Clare completely outclassed Down at Cusack Park on Sunday to move into second place in the Division Two table. Down’s cause was not helped when Kevin McGarry was sent off after 18 minutes for a second yellow card offence. The floodgates soon opened and the Banner men led by 2-12 to 0-2 at the break, their goals coming from Caimin Morey and Colin Ryan.

To compound Down’s woes, Aidan Clarke also saw red 30 seconds into the second half, leaving the Mourne men with 13 men for the remainder of the game. Inevitably, the game turned into a rout, with Clare adding three more goals in the second half.

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 – Waterford 0-18 Cork 0-17

Moran hits late to hurt Rebel cause

Waterford 0-18 Cork 0-17

Allianz Hurling League Div 1

By Cliona Foley for the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday March 14 2011

Waterford boss Davy Fitzgerald may be facing a big personal disciplinary test later this week, but his players certainly gave him plenty of reason for pride and optimism with this feisty display at Dungarvan yesterday. For the second year in a row a late Decies score settled a typically competitive league clash between these great Munster rivals. Last year Eoin Kelly snatched a late equaliser, and this time the heroics were provided by returning De La Salle duo John Mullane and Kevin Moran, who combined in a great give-and-go down the right wing before Moran grabbed Waterford’s 69th-minute winner.

Cork’s Willie Egan had a subsequent long-range chance from a difficult angle to share the points but swung it wide. Victory, even by so close a margin, kept Waterford’s league hopes alive and Fitzgerald was clearly delighted. “A good bit of character shown again and I’m delighted for the lads who got on and came back,” he said, pointing out that Moran’s two points from play from wing-back once again demonstrated his great versatility. “We’ve Kilkenny next, which doesn’t make it any easier; they’re going to want a big performance the next day and we’ve still work to do, it’s only mid-March.”

Poor attendances and games have caused hand-wringing aplenty about hurling this season, but the anticipation ahead of this pairing, who seem incapable of providing a boring game these days, was demonstrated by a decent crowd of 6,000 to Fraher Field, which caused such a log-jam that throw-in had to be delayed by 15 minutes. And they weren’t disappointed. ‘First touch’ on either side was far from perfect but, in typical Cork/Waterford fashion, they created loads of space and went at it hammer and tongs.

Despite a good Waterford start there was only a point between the teams at half-time and they were level seven times in the second half before Moran’s heroics eventually separated them. Waterford should have been ahead by much more than 0-11 to 0-10 at half-time, considering they’d had the aid of a gale. The wind dropped considerably afterwards, yet Cork still dominated the second-half exchanges but just couldn’t apply the right finish. Manager Denis Walsh felt they should have come away with more.

“The way that results went in other games, even a draw would have been good for us and we had chances, even at the end there,” he said ruefully. “Galway beating Kilkenny might change it now for everyone but we’ve Tipp next and that’ll decide the league for us.” Cork dominated midfield throughout the first half thanks to Lorcan McLoughlin and Pa Cronin, and Donal Og Cusack’s trademark short puck-outs, but up front only Patrick Horgan really cut loose. Asked afterwards if he wasn’t tempted to make changes to his attack earlier, Walsh stressed: “We got ample possession in our full-forward line, we just didn’t execute it.” He clearly trusted this forwards to come good and gave them plenty of time to do so, but it’s fair to say his half-forwards and full-forward never really got going.

His first substitution was defensive and a particularly good one as the introduction of Ronan Curran allowed John Gardiner to switch onto and curb Maurice Shanahan’s growing second-half influence. Shanahan had the game’s best goal chance after 55 minutes when he bore down on the square, only to be foiled by a brilliant Brian Murphy block. But Fitzgerald took great heart that his team stuck to their task as the game see-sawed to its dramatic conclusion. Shane Walsh, who started at full-forward, was Waterford’s hero with five points from play, including two in a row in the late stages that seemed to give them a second wind.

The return of Noel Connors (from injury) and the De La Salle boys from club duty all helped, though Cork’s Stephen McDonnell did a relatively good job on Mullane, despite some of his fabulous touches. Ken McGrath struggled on his first start of the season, but midfield was hardly his ideal placement, as Fitzgerald conceded, and David O’Sullivan did well on his debut at wing-back. In truth, this was a day where defenders from both sides dominated, with Cork’s Willie Egan and Waterford’s Wayne Hutchinson and Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh all catching the eye. One thing that certainly contributed to the free-flowing nature of the game was Barry Kelly’s refereeing, but at times it seemed a little too laissez-faire as players really had to battle to win their frees. Cork didn’t get their first free until 20 minutes into the match, and while this ‘let it run’ attitude is often welcomed, it is fair to wonder if the same standard is being applied by all other hurling referees across all divisions.

Man of the Match: S Walsh (Waterford).

Scorers — Waterford: S Walsh , R Foley (5f) 0-5 each, J Mullane 0-3, K Moran 0-2, P O’Mahony, S Prendergast and M Shanahan 0-1 each. Cork: P Horgan 0-6 (4f), L O’Farrell 0-3, W Egan, B Murphy, L McLoughlin, P Cronin, C McCarthy, N McCarthy, J O’Connor, J Gardiner (’65’) 0-1 each.

Waterford — A Power 6; D Fives 7, W Hutchinson 8, N Connors 8; D O’Sullivan 7, M Walsh 8, K Moran 8; R Foley 7, K McGrath 5; S Molumphy 5, S Prendergast 6, P O’Mahony 6; J Mullane 7, S Walsh 9, M Shanahan 8. Subs: E Kelly 6 for McGrath (46), T Ryan 6 for Molumphy (64).

Cork — D Og Cusack 8; C O’Sullivan 6, E Dillon 6, S McDonnell 7; B Murphy 8, J Gardiner 7, W Egan 8; L McLoughlin 7, P Cronin 8; T Kenny 5, C McCarthy 7, N McCarthy 6; P Horgan 7, P O’Sullivan 5, L O’Farrell 7. Subs: R Curran 7 for C O’Sullivan (56), J O’Connor 7 for McLoughlin (59), B O’Connor 6 for P O’Sullivan (63), C Naughton 6 for N McCarthy (64), M Cussen for O’Farrell (69).

REF — B Kelly (Westmeath)


Waterford 0-18 Cork 0-17

From the web site

As is often the case when these great Munster rivals meet, there was little to choose between Cork and Waterford on Sunday, but it was the home side who edged to a 0-18 to 0-17 win in a dramatic finale at Fraher Field. A replay was required to separate the sides in the Munster final last summer while the corresponding League fixture last year ended in a draw.

On this occasion, it was the Munster champions’ fans who went home the happiest as Kevin Moran hit the winning point with two minutes left. Moran, on his return to the side after Club commitments with De La Salle ruled him out of the earlier rounds of the Allianz League, struck a fine score from play with two minutes remaining to leave Waterford 0-18 to 0-17 ahead.

The Rebels did have a late chance to level the game with the last attack of the game deep into added time, but William Egan sent an ambitious effort from way out on the wing wide. It means Cork, quite cruelly, have lost by a single point in the Allianz League for the second game in a row.

Points from Niall McCarthy and Jerry O’Connor had left Denis Walsh’s side 0-17 to 0-16 ahead with five minutes left, but Richie Foley levelled for Davy Fitzgerald’s men with a free from his own ’65-metre line against the wind before Moran secured the points for his side late on. Throw-in was delayed for 15 minutes due to the large crowd in Dungarvan and they witnessed an entertaining first half as the home side edged into a 0-11 to 0-10 lead at the break.

Patrick Horgan contributed six scores from frees for Cork, while Richie Foley and Shane Walsh were the most consistent scorers for Waterford, who slot into fourth place in the table ahead of Cork with two wins and a draw from their four games to date.

Team News

Cork hurling manager Denis Walsh has made three changes for the Allianz Hurling League clash with Waterford at Fraher Field, Dungarvan on Sunday. Eoin Cadogan is on duty with the Cork football team and is replaced at full back by Eoin Dillon.

At left half back, the experienced Brian Murphy replaces Ray Ryan, while at midfield Lorcan McLoughlin comes in for Jerry O’Connor. The attack remains unchanged from the side that enjoyed a three-point win over Galway last Sunday. Despite making an impressive contribution after coming on as a sub against the Tribesmen, Cathal Naughton is once again named on the bench.

Cork (SH v Waterford): D Óg Cusack; S McDonnell, E Dillon, C O’Sullivan; J Gardiner, W Egan, B Murphy; L McLoughlin, P Cronin; T Kenny, C McCarthy, N McCarthy; P Horgan, P O’Sullivan, L O’Farrell

Allianz Hurling League Division 2 – Limerick 1-18 Laois 0-16

Limerick 1-18 Laois 0-16

Allianz Hurling League Division Two leaders Limerick endured a terrific tussle with Laois before they eventually ground out a 1-18 to 0-16 win. Limerick trailed by 0-9 to 0-8 at the break, but a Pat Tobin goal a minute into the second half proved the vital score of the game as Donal O’Grady’s men went on to outscore their opponents by 1-10 to 0-7 after the break.

Although they did gain a fourth successive win in the competition, it was a performance that was not without flaws, which O’Grady will want to iron out if they do, as expected, make it to the Division Two final. Limerick had impressive performance from Richie McCarthy, Donal O’Grady and Paul Browne.

Allianz Football League Division 1 – Kerry 0-16 Galway 0-8

Kerry 0-16 Galway 0-8

From the web site

Colm Cooper looked like he was back to his peerless best in Killarney as he laced eight points in a comfortable win for Kerry over Galway in Division 1 of the Allianz League on Sunday. Kerry were never really in any trouble against Tomás Ó Flatharta’s side, leading by five points at the break and extending the lead by three in the second period to eventually coast to an eight-point win. The result gives Kerry a much-needed win in the division but it now means that Galway have lost all four matches in the competition so far, putting them in serious danger of relegation.

Playing with the wind in the first half, Galway made the quicker start, a superb long-range score from Gary Sice and a nifty effort from Cormac Bane responding to Bryan Sheehan’s opener for Kerry. It didn’t take long for Jack O’Connor’s side to assume control though, Cooper gradually coming into his own as he hit two frees alongside a score from midfielder David Moran and a fisted point from Donnacha Walsh. Owen Concannon kept Galway in it with a decent score and he was in excellent form throughout for Galway, finishing as their top scorer overall with 0-4.

Kerry latched on three more points before half-time to lead 0-8 to 0-3 at the break. All three were scored by Cooper from play, with the pick of the bunch receiving a standing ovation a few minutes shy of half-time. The 27-year-old won the ball far from goal, danced elegantly past two tackles before serenely slotting over. Things didn’t bode well for Galway. A further brace from Cooper and a Sheehan point put Kerry further in front after the restart but Galway managed a surprise rally, with three points in a row coming in a two-minute burst. Concannon hit over one from play and another from a free, with Bane also giving the Tribesmen hope with his second of the day. But Galway never got closer than that and although Concannon continued to fight, adding another excellent score, Cooper continued to run things for Kerry and he conducted them to a comfortable victory.

Team News

The Kerry Senior Football team V Galway Saturday 6th March 2011

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) 2. Shane Enright (Tarbert) 3. Killian Young (Renard) 4. Adrian O’Connell (St Michael’s Foilmore) 5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes) 7. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts) 8. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 9. David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) 10. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 11. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary’s) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane) 13. Colm Cooper (Captain) Dr. Crokes 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. Kieran O’Leary (Dr. Crokes)
Substitutes 16. Tomás Mac a t’Saoir (An Ghaeltacht) 17. Aidan O’Mahony(Rathmore) 18. David Geaney (An Daingean) 19. Pádraig Reidy (Scartaglin) 20. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 21. Gary O’Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) 22. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks )23. Tom O`Sullivan (Rathmore) 24. Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)

Bainisteóir: Jack O’Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)

Traenálaí: Alan O’Sullivan (Kerins O’Rahillys)

Roghnóirí: Ger O’Keeffe (Austin Stacks) & Diarmuid Murphy (An Daingean)

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 – Tipperary 1-20 Offaly 0-10

Tipperary 1-20 Offaly 0-10

From the web site

Tipperary 1-20 Offaly 0-10

2010 Hurler of the Year Lar Corbett saw action in the second half as Tipperary powered past Offaly in the Allianz Hurling League Divison 1 in Nenagh today. Gearoid Ryan’s 21st-minute goal was the highlight of Tipperary’s first half efforts as they turned around with a 1-09 to 0-08 advantage. The Premier County were bidding for their second successive league win under new manager Declan Ryan and they were quick off the blocks. Joe Bergin, who captained an injury-hit Offaly side, pointed them ahead before a Pa Bourke double and a point from Benny Dunne gave Tipp a 0-03 to 0-01 lead.

The hosts lost their skipper Eoin Kelly to a hand injury but Bourke and Dunne kept the scoreboard ticking over for a 0-06 to 0-04 buffer. Brendan Maher stretched the lead to three points and Tipp increased the tempo courtesy of Ryan’s goal, which came from a powerful run from Patrick Maher. Brian Carroll took over the free-taking duties from the injured Shane Dooley and his three placed balls reduced the arrears for the Faithfuls.

A late point from Michael Cordial made it a four-point game at the break. Carroll did his best to keep Offaly in touch and Tipp’s lead was down to 1-09 to 0-09 briefly. But Ryan’s side dominated the remainder of the match to put the result beyond any doubt. Corbett, who missed the first three league games through injury, was introduced after the break along with James Woodlock.

Tipp’s veteran custodian Brendan Cummins had to be on his toes to save a shot from James Mulrooney, and Rory Hanniffy was doing well to keep tabs on Noel McGrath, one of Tipp’s dangermen. Daniel Currams registered Offaly’s final score and it was all Tipperary after that. Pa Bourke took his tally to 0-07 as the All-Ireland champions climbed above Cork into fifth place in the Division 1 table. Bottom side Offaly are up against it if they are to avoid relegation from the top flight, but their next game against fellow strugglers Wexford offers them a chance they must take.


Tipperary 1-20 Offaly 0-10

Report from the web site

Declan Ryan’s Tipperary appear to have rediscovered their winning touch after a comfortable 1-20 to 0-10 defeat of Offaly in a one-sided game in Nenagh. Having lost their opening two games in the competition, the Premier County have bounced back impressively, securing a second straight win which means a late charge for a place in the final is not beyond the bounds of possibility. Tipperary were impressive throughout and led by four points at the break despite playing into a stiff breeze; Offaly could only add two more points to their total after the break and the home side cruised to a 13-point win.

The All-Ireland champions dominated midfield, with Gearóid Ryan and Brendan Maher particularly impressive, while Pa Bourke stood out in attack with seven points. The only goal of the game came from Gearóid Ryan’s stick after 21 minutes, when he applied the finishing touch after excellent work by Patrick Maher. There were some concerns for last year’s All-Ireland winning captain Eoin Kelly, who left the field with a hand problem, although Hurler of the Year Lar Corbett made his seasonal debut after missing the first three Allianz League games through injury. Injury-hit Offaly are now in a precarious position after a fourth successive Allianz League defeat and their game against fellow strugglers Wexford in two weeks’ time takes on added significance in their battle with the drop.

Team News

The Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Offaly in the 4th Round of the Allianz Hurling League at Nenagh on Sunday shows 3 changes from the team which started against Waterford last weekend. Loughmore Castleiney’s Eddie Connolly makes his league debut at corner back in place of Paddy Stapleton. Also into the side are Benny Dunne and Eoin Kelly in place of Shane McGrath and Brian O’Meara.

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange) 2. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields) 3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone) 4. Eddie Connolly (Loughmore Castleiney) 5. John O’Keeffe (Clonoulty Rossmore) 6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) 7. David Young (Toomevara) 8. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons) 9. Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh) 10. Benny Dunne (Toomevara) 11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney) 12. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha) 13. Paul Kelly (Mullinahone) 14. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain 15. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)

Allianz Football League Division 3 – Limerick 2-14 Cavan 0-15

Limerick 2-14 Cavan 0-15

From the web site

The late sending-off of Stephen Jordan proved pivotal for Cavan as Limerick defeated the Breffnimen by five points at the Gaelic Grounds. Limerick hit two late goals following the dismissal to pull away from Cavan and leave the Ulster side close to the bottom of Division Three.