Waterford Crystal Cup Hurling S-Final – Cork 1-18 UL 2-13

Walsh impressed by Rebel resolve

Cork 1-18 UL 2-13

By Jim O’Sullivan for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, January 31, 2011

CORK hurling manager Denis Walsh acknowledges that there are some “serious” contenders in their training panel for a small number of places in the squad. Following the exhibition game against the North Mon selection on Friday night, another experimental team proved marginally stronger than University of Limerick in the Waterford Crystal tournament in Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday to set up a final against Waterford at the same venue next Sunday. Admitting to being “very pleased” with the performance, Walsh said: “It was put up to us a few times and when the injury happened to Cian some of the young guys could have switched off. We were wondering on the line how they’d respond, but they responded well. “There are a couple of fellows in there who are serious operators and well worthy of a place. “Obviously we can’t take the whole lot of them but if we can take a few of them over the next year it would be great.’’

Despite their inability to get a goal from four good chances, before Conor Lehane put the ball in the net minutes from the end, Cork led all the way from the time centre-forward Bill Cooper’s score made it 0-6 to 0-5. On the clock, that point came in the 30th minute, but in actual playing time it was after 18 minutes, after a hold-up when Cian Fogarty from the Killeagh club suffered a hip injury in the 11th minute. While he was motionless before eventually being stretchered off, the Cork boss was happy to report afterwards that he had made a quick recovery. UL, with All-Ireland-winning corner-back Paddy Stapleton from Tipp impressing at right corner-back and Clare forward Andrew Quinn excelling in attack, were without Offaly seniors Brian Carroll and Shane Dooley. Former Cork panellist Pa Cronin was a replacement at midfield, having been away in Waterford with the Cork squad on an overnight training session.

Just as Quinn was to emerge leading scorer for the visitors, Cork had a potential match-winner in Eoghan Murphy, who contributed the opening three scores of the game inside five minutes. By the 10th minute, a similar return from Andrew Quinn and another point from Mickey Heffernan had UL ahead just before the game had to be stopped. When it resumed, former-Cork minor Conor Lehane levelled scores and then put Cork in front in the 29th minute before Tom O’Brien brought UL level. After that came Bill Cooper’s point which gave Cork a lead they never lost. UL ‘keeper Stephen O’Keeffe denied both Jamie Coughlan and Eoghan Murphy and at the break, it was 0-11 to 1-7. The pattern of the game was much the same in the second half, with Cork promising more in attack and steady in defence, where Millstreet’s Mark Ellis was prominent at centre-back. They stayed in front despite having a goal disallowed – when sub Luke O’Farrell was inside the square – and Murphy missed a penalty.

Scorers for Cork: E Murphy 0-8 (0-6 frees, 0-1 ‘65), C Lehane 1-3, B Cooper 0-3, J Coughlan 0-2, B Hartnett and C McCarthy 0-1 each.

Scorers for UL: A Quinn 1-8 (0-7 frees), P Murphy 1-0, P Cronin 0-2, M Heffernan, T O’Brien and B Beckett 0-1 each.

CORK: M Coleman; P O’Leary, C Fogarty, S Murphy; C Joyce, M Ellis, R Ryan; G Callinan, B Lawton; T Murray, B Cooper, C Lehane; J Coughlan, E Murphy, B Hartnett.

Subs: P O’Mahony for Fogarty (inj., 22); A Nash for Coleman (ht); C McCarthy for Murray (51); L. O’Farrell for Hartnett (61); J Wall for Coughlan (65).

UL: S O’Keeffe; P Stapleton, M Malone, K Murphy; N Murphy, J Gallagher, B Fox; T O’Brien, P Cronin; T Butler, P Murphy, M Heffernan; P Kelly, M Collins, A Quinn. Subs: B Beckett for Butler, A Hogan for Murphy and K Joyce for Fox (half-time); D Burke for Collins (46); A Morris for O’Brien (52).

Referee: S McMahon (Clare)

Munster Club SFC Final – Nemo Rangers 1-15 Dr. Crokes 1-13

Nemo unleash perfect storm

Nemo Rangers 1-15 Dr Crokes 1-13

Munster Club SFC Final

By Colm Keys from the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday January 31 2011

A bizarre end to a somewhat bizarre fixture that has been almost two and a half months coming to the boil. After two postponements, two venue changes, an hour delay because of a frozen pitch and then an additional 30 minutes because of extra-time in the curtain raiser, the Munster football final for 2010 finally got under way in Mallow at shortly after 4.0pm yesterday. Naturally, such twists and turns couldn’t but produce a complementary match and that’s how it transpired. At the end Nemo Rangers were Munster champions for a 15th time but there was a sense of bewilderment about their success at first that quickly turned to relief. Some 33 minutes earlier they had begun the second half a staggering 13 points — 1-13 to 0-3 — clear, playing football that their manager Eddie Kirwan admitted was “as good as I’ve seen and a pleasure to be involved in”.

But large half-time leads can carry a serious health warning to the team that is cushioned by them. The mind works in strange ways and no matter how they would have tried to convince themselves otherwise they knew that any run on them from Dr Crokes would have the capacity to unnerve them and engage the 4,226 crowd. It worked exactly to that script. Crokes emerged an awakened team. They put the first seven points on the board unanswered and everyone in Mallow was stirred at the prospect of a comeback to surpass all other comebacks. After 15 minutes they had more than halved the deficit, reducing it to just six points, 1-13 to 0-10.

Nemo, so rampant in the opening half thanks to the dominance at midfield of David Niblock and Peter Morgan and the opportunism of just about everyone else, showed little resistance and couldn’t get a foothold until Barry O’Driscoll converted a 45-metre free on 49 minutes. It offered the Cork city giants some respite and when Alan Cronin nudged over a point for a seven-point lead again on 55 minutes, it was enough to even send the new Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin on his way content that the job was done. But Crokes weren’t finished and they kept pressing. Eoin Brosnan inspired them at midfield when he moved there, Colm Cooper was always a worry but Kieran O’Leary did most damage as pillion passenger to ‘Gooch’.

When O’Leary fired home a superb goal from a Cooper pass to leave just two points in it, there was 32 minutes and 30 seconds of the second half elapsed with just a scheduled 30 more seconds of added time left to be played. Any more time and they might just have prevailed. How Dr Crokes must regret the malaise of the first half when they succumbed to a virtual exhibition from the seven-times All-Ireland champions. “We got hit by a whirlwind. We never came to the game at all in the first half. They just blew us out of it in every part of the field,” admitted Dr Crokes manager Harry O’Neill afterwards “No matter what way they looked to kick the ball, it went over the bar. The goalie could have done it with his left or right and it wouldn’t have mattered,” added O’Neill. “Our heads went down, fellas didn’t believe and maybe if we had got them into the dressing-room we might have been able to settle them down. We saw what we could do in the second half, that’s the disappointing thing.”

Sure enough it was as good as any club side has produced in one half for a long, long time. After 20 minutes it looked as good as over, Nemo Rangers cruising to a 1-6 to 0-2 lead. Anything they touched turned to gold. A string of points flew over Crokes ‘keeper Kieran Cremin’s ahead in the final minutes of the first half that drew gasps from the crowd. Niblock got it going from midfield, half-back Daragh Breen with No 2 on his back followed it up, then O’Driscoll with his second. They sensed they could do anything from anywhere and they did. David Kearney, Paul Kerrigan, who had kicked an outrageous point from distance early on, swung one over from with the outside of his right boot from an angle that shouldn’t have suited a right-footed kicker.

As Cronin slalomed through for the 13th Nemo point just before the break, it wasn’t hard to level the accusation at Dr Crokes that they had accepted their fate. Their midfielder Johnny Buckley, who injured his knee last week, was a loss, but to this extent? Rarely has Cooper seen so little possession in a game as he did in the first half yesterday. He didn’t touch the ball for the first nine minutes but he then produced a spark of genius, fetching above three defenders, swinging on to his right foot and then engineering sufficient space for his side’s opening score. Unfortunately for Crokes, it was bettered by another stroke of genius at the other end. James Masters felt sufficiently unwanted to remove himself from the Cork squad earlier last year but he showed in the 10th minute what a creative talent he can be with a cracking drop-kicked goal on the run.

Scorers — Nemo Rangers: J Masters 1-3 (1f),P Kerrigan (1f), A Cronin, B O’Driscoll (1f) 0-3 each, D Kearney, D Breen, D Niblock all 0-1 each. Dr Crokes: K O’Leary 1-4, D Casey 0-3f, C Cooper 0-2 (1f), B Looney, E Brosnan, F Fitzgerald, A O’Donovan all 0-1 each.

Nemo Rangers — B Morgan; A O’Reilly, D Kavanagh, C O’Shea; C O’Brien, B O’Regan, D Breen; P Morgan, D Niblock; A Cronin, P Kerrigan, D Kearney; J Masters, S O’Brien, B O’Driscoll. Subs: A Morgan for Kerrigan (48), B Twomey for O’Driscoll (59).

Dr Crokes — K Cremin; J Payne, D O’Leary, M Moloney; S Myers, L Quinn, S Doolan; A O’Donovan, B McMahon; A Kenneally, E Brosnan, B Looney; C Cooper, D Casey, K O’Leary. Subs: F Fitzgerald for McMahon (26), C Brady for Myers (h-t), S O’Neill for O’Donovan (58).

Ref — D O’Mahony (Tipperary)
Half right alright for Nemo

Nemo Rangers (Cork) 1-15 Dr Crokes (Kerry) 1-13

By John Fogarty for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, January 31, 2011

IT’S imperative to put on record that there was barely a wind in Mallow yesterday. A draught if anything — but nothing close to a breeze. The reason for the clarification is justified for anybody who didn’t witness Nemo Rangers claim their 15th Munster SFC club title on a two-point margin despite floating on a cushion of 13 going into the interval. But let’s head off any jump to conclusions that the elements were responsible for such a turnaround. In this case, they weren’t.

Sure, the much-hackneyed phrase “game of two halves” applied to this affair but not as anybody would know it. After manufacturing arguably the most complete half of football seen in Munster club football for quite some time, Nemo were made to defend their astonishing advantage — and how. In the first 16 minutes of the new half, Dr Crokes reeled off seven unanswered points and Nemo knees were quaking. Admittedly, Kieran O’Leary’s goal three minutes into injury-time flattered the score-line but the margin was inconsequential to Cork champions. Glory was theirs.

“It’s not that we wanted to win by 13 points,” said Nemo manager Eddie Kirwan. “That’s irrelevant. The history books will say that we won and we’re the champions. Senior club football is never easy. They had their time and we had our time. We just made two points better of our time.” In Kirwan’s mind, Nemo’s first-half went beyond compare. “It was as good as I’ve seen and it was a pleasure to be involved in that. We’ll have a peek at the second-half in the video. You flow sometimes and you don’t. And how you limit the opposition when you don’t flow (is crucial). We didn’t do it very well in the second-half but ultimately we came out just about.” “Just about” is right but should we have been surprised that this tie would offer us up something so bizarre? This, after all, was a final that proved most reluctant to be played. Twice postponed before Christmas and with a venue this weekend changed with one day’s notice to Mallow from the Gaelic Grounds because of a frozen pitch, whatever could go wrong did go wrong.

And it didn’t stop in Limerick. Where this final went Jack Frost was sure to follow and throw-in was initially put back an hour to allow the Mallow turf recover from the overnight freeze. Then it was delayed a further 30 minutes as the All-Ireland IFC semi-finalists couldn’t be separated over 60 minutes. When matters finally got under way, the 4,226 Mallow crowd saw Nemo pulverise the opposition in the opening 30 minutes. With three unanswered points in the first three minutes, their intentions were made clear to all. A Colm Cooper point in the 10th minute hardly upset their momentum as James Masters delivered a skill of old when he drove a drop-shot past Kieran Cremin. His blast was the end product of some sterling work from Sean O’Brien and Alan Cronin, true representatives of how tirelessly the Nemo forwards toiled to create as well as spoil in the first-half.

Cooper was finding Ciaran O’Shea a difficult marker although he did manage to find himself one-on-one with Briain Morgan in the 16th minute but was denied. Cooper again freed himself up in the 18th minute to agonisingly fist the ball against the crossbar. From that, Nemo worked the ball up for a Barry O’Driscoll score, which put eight points between the teams. The extent of Crokes’ problems became apparent when Cooper was reassigned to the centre with five minutes to go in the half as David Niblock and Paul Kerrigan led their markers on merry dances. After Niblock exchanged points with O’Leary in the 23rd minute, Nemo rattled over six points without reply, the best of them Kerrigan’s close to the half-time whistle, a scintillating kick on the run after shaking off a couple of defenders.

Nemo weren’t just leading at half-time; they were out of sight — 1-13 to 0-3. Or so we thought. Less than a minute in, Ambrose O’Donovan glided one over and six more followed. Having their 13-point lead more than halved with 14 minutes left, they were close to panic stations. The Crokes supporters found their voices and even though Nemo found their scoring boots again with points from O’Driscoll and Alan Cronin, they were cancelled out by Cooper and Casey efforts. But in the end Kirwan’s side held out. A Brian Looney point and O’Leary’s goal had them shaking a bit but that first-half performance was just too good for Crokes to replicate. Even allowing for more postponements, Nemo will be there or thereabouts again.

Scorers for Nemo Rangers: J Masters 1-3 (one free); P Kerrigan, B O’Driscoll (one free), A Cronin 0-3 each; D Niblock, D Breen, D Kearney 0-1 each.

Scorers for Dr Crokes: K O’Leary 1-4; D Casey (three frees) 0-3; C Cooper (one free) 0-2; A O’Donovan, E Brosnan, F Fitzgerald, B Looney 0-1 each.

Subs for Nemo Rangers: A Morgan for O’Driscoll (temp 7-14); A Morgan for Kearney (temp 29-30); D Mehigan for P Morgan (temp 41-42); A Morgan for Kerrigan (49); B Twomey for O’Driscoll (60).

Subs for Dr Crokes: F Fitzgerald for B McMahon (27); C Brady for Myers (h-t); S O’Neill for O’Donovan (59).

Referee: D O’Mahoney (Tipperary)

Nemo hold on to claim AIB Munster Club title

From the GAA.ie web site

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nemo Rangers of Cork claimed their 15th AIB Munster GAA Football Senior Club Championship after a remarkable 1-15 to 1-13 defeat of Dr Crokes at Mallow on Sunday. After an incredible first half display, Nemo led by 1-13 to 0-3 and appeared to be coasting to the provincial title and to a place in the last four of the AIB All-Ireland Club Championship. To their immense credit, though, the Kerry champions regrouped at half-time and staged a stunning comeback that very nearly caught Eddie Kirwan’s side out.

The game was staged at the impressive Mallow grounds in Cork after a late switch from the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. And it was Nemo who immediately looked more comfortable with the more intimate surroundings of the north Cork Club, and with David Niblock in fine form at midfield, they established a big early lead. Former Cork star James Masters blasted home an 11th minute goal for the Leesiders, while Paul Kerrigan chipped in with three points from play.

Despite being under the cosh for much of the half, Crokes did have two goal chances, both of which were squandered by Colm Cooper, who was tightly marked by the Nemo defence. The Kerry star cracked the crossbar with one effort and had a second saved by Brian Morgan, the Nemo goalkeeper. Nemo, however, were completely dominant, and a brilliant Niblock point from way out the pitch helped his side to lead by 13 points at the break. Undaunted, Crokes started to eat into the gap, with Kieran O’Leary, Cooper and Ambrose O’Donovan all contributing points.

Five points in arrears going into injury time, O’Leary fired a late goal to leave a kick of a ball between the sides. However, Nemo, who kicked just two points in the entire second half, hung on for a narrow win and a place in the All-Ireland semi-finals against Connacht champions St Brigid’s.

Match Previews

Click below to view Colm Cooper’s view of the final

Paths to the Final


Quarter Finals

Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 2-13

C. Cooper 2-5: D. Casey 0-5: E. Brosnan 0-2; B. Looney 0-1

Monaleen (Limerick) 1-3

M. Crowley 1-1: M. Gavin 0-1: C. Joyce Power 0-1

Stradbally (Waterford) 0-7

S. Ryan 0-3: T. Tubridy 0-1; B. Aherne 0-1: A. Doyle 0-1: T. Connors 0-1

Doonbeg (Clare) 0-4

T. Curran 0-2: S. Cunningham 0-1: N. Curran 0-1

Semi Finals

Nemo Rangers (Cork) 1-12

P. Kerrigan 0-7: D. Kearney 1-1: D. Niblock 0-1: W. Morgan 0-1: B. O’Driscoll 0-1: A. Morgan 0-1

Stradbally (Waterford) 1-5

R. Aherne 1-0: N. Curran 0-3: S. Aherne 0-2

Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 2-11

L. Quinn 1-2: J. Buckley 0-3: K. O’Leary 0-3: A. Kenneally 1-0: D. Casey 0-1: C. Cooper 0-1: B. Looney 0-1

Aherlow (Tipperary) 0-9

B. Grogan 0-4:S. Moloney 0-3: B. O’Brien 0-1: T. Hanley 0-1

AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Hurling Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 – Meelin (Cork) v Bearna-na Forbacha (Galway)

Meelin (Cork) defeated Barna / Furbo (Galway) by 0-16 to 1-4 in the AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Hurling Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 on Sunday at the Eire Óg Ennis grounds.

AIB All-Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 – Ballymartyle (Cork) 1-10 Padraig Pearses (Galway) 0-10

Ballymartyle (Cork) defeated Padraig Pearses (Galway) by 1-10 to 0-10  in the AIB All-Ireland Club Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 on Sunday at  Templetuohy, County Tipperary.

AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Football Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 – St. Marys (Kerry) 2-14 St. Peters (Lancashire) 0-5

St. Marys (Kerry) defeated St. Peters (Lancashire) by 2-14 to 0-5 in the AIB All-Ireland Club Junior Football Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 on Sunday at Monaleen.

Waterford Crystal Cup Hurling S-Final – Waterford 2-19 Clare 2-18

Foley finds range to halt Sparrow’s path to final

Waterford 2-19 Clare 2-18

By Gerry Quinn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, January 31, 2011

WATERFORD overturned an 11-point deficit to edge out their hosts in yesterday’s Waterford Crystal senior hurling semi-final at Sixmilebridge. A Richie Foley free in injury time sealed victory at the end of an entertaining contest to the delight of his manager Davy Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald admitted: “It’s great to be back in a final again. The most important thing for our guys is to be winning games. We were missing 17 or 18 guys who will be in contention for championship places but there had to be positives out of today for Clare as well. They were also missing a few guys.”

After a relatively even opening quarter, the hosts took the initiative and hit a purple patch before the break. With the sides level (five points apiece after 18 minutes), Clare hit 2-7 before the break for a 2-12 to 0-7 interval advantage. The first of their goals came in the 21st minute when impressive corner-forward Cathal McInerney collected a Domhnall O’Donovan delivery. Waterford keeper Clinton Hennessy got a touch to this strike but couldn’t prevent it crossing the line. Five minutes later O’Donovan and McInerney were again involved before Fergal Lynch beat Hennessy. Waterford regrouped after the restart and with Seamus Prendergast at full-forward, they set about narrowing the gap.

Richie Foley’s accuracy from placed balls was crucial to their cause, especially in the 40th minute when he smashed a 20-yard free to the Clare net after Banner full-back Cian Dillon had fouled Prendergast. The visitors took the lead in the 56th minute after Shane Casey’s goal edged them 2-16 to 2-14 ahead. In a tight and tense final quarter, the visitors held all the aces. Clare had goal chance with four minutes remaining but James McInerney’s penalty flew over the bar. A late long-range point from Colin Ryan looked to have given Clare the win but two frees in added time by Foley won it for Waterford. Clare boss Ger ‘Sparrow’ O’Loughlin admitted: “After 35 minutes of tremendous hurling in the first half, where Waterford had no answer to us, we took our foot off the pedal in the second half, instead of pushing it on and winning by ten or 11 points. We need to start learning to win.”

Scorers – Waterford: R Foley (1-11) 1-8 f’s, 2 ‘65’s, S Casey (1-3), S Molumphy (0-2), S Walsh, G Crotty, S Prendergast (0-3).

Scorers – Clare: N O’Connell (0-6) 3 f’s, 1 ‘65, C McGrath (0-6) 3 f’s, C McInerney (1-1), F Lynch (1-0), J Conlon (0-2), D McMahon, C Ryan, J McInerney (f) (0-1) each.

WATERFORD: C Hennessy, F McGrath, J Maher, D Fives, S O’Sullivan, M Walsh, J Nagle, S Molumphy, E McGrath, S Prendergast, R Foley, P Mahony, B O’Halloran, S Walsh, S Casey.

Subs: G Crotty for E McGrath inj. (35), C Ryan for F McGrath (ht).

CLARE: P Brennan, M Earley, C Dillon, J Gunning, C O’Doherty, J McInerney, L Markham, N O’Connell, D O’Donovan, F Lynch, J Conlon, C Ryan, C McGrath, D McMahon, C McInerney.

Subs: C Morey for Markham (59), C Chaplin for Gunning (65), G Quinn for O’Doherty (67).

Referee: J Ryan (Tipperary)

AIB All-Ireland Club Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final 2010 / 2011 – St James (Galway) 0-12 Gneeveguilla (Kerry) 0-10

Conroy and Concannon inspire St James to extra-time victory

St James (Galway) 0-12 Gneeveguilla (Kerry) 0-10 (aet)

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, January 31, 2011

THEY may have required extra time to chisel out the result but St James were merited winners against Gneeveguilla in yesterday afternoon’s All-Ireland Club IFC semi-final in Mallow. The Galway champions displayed serious resolve to book their spot in the All-Ireland decider as they were forced to play with 14 men for over 40 minutes of normal time. Corner-forward Seamie Rabbitte was shown a red card in the 19th minute for an off the ball incident involving corner-back Michael B Murphy, at a juncture when St James lead 0-4 to 0-2. But despite that personnel disadvantage, St James coped admirably in normal time and indeed it was Gneeveguilla who required an injury-time free by Liam Murphy to send this encounter into extra-time. However with 15 men at their disposal again in extra-time, St James were able to take control and they closed out the match in a confident fashion.

St James county senior stars Paul Conroy and Eoin Concannon played huge roles in fashioning this victory. Conroy helped establish a foothold around the middle while also grabbing three points. Concannon emerged as the team’s go-to guy up front as he claimed six points, providing scores for his team at vital stages. But St James victory was not all down to the input of their star men. Mark Kelly was outstanding at midfield while Shane Coughlan, Alan Deacy and Johnny Duane were to the fore in an impressive defensive performance. This game was always set to be a stern test for Gneeveguilla as they met the strongest opponents they had faced in this campaign. The East Kerry side were unable to replicate the powerful form that had seen them sweep through the Munster championship before Christmas. John Paul Brosnan and Michael Murphy kept driving the team on until the finish while Liam Murphy emerged as their leading attacker as he wound up with six points to his name. However Murphy lacked support in the scoring department as the Gneeveguilla forwards struggled to break free of the St James rearguard.

St James opened in a bright fashion as their slick play caused problems for Gneeveguilla. With Concannon to the fore up front, St James stormed into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead by the 12th minute. Gneeveguilla were spurning scoring opportunities but the complexion of the game changed when Rabbitte was dismissed by referee Rory Hickey. Concannon knocked over a couple of frees to give St James some respite but a Gneeveguilla scoring revival inspired by Liam Murphy left them only trailing 0-6 to 0-5 at the interval. The second-half was a scrappy affair but points by Conroy looked to have put St James on course for success entering the final quarter. Gneeveguilla pounded the St James defence in the closing minutes and were eventually rewarded when Murphy levelled the game with that late free. However with the full complement of players restored in extra-time, St James were the superior force and late scores by Concannon and Duane clinched their passage through to the final.

Scorers for St James: E Concannon 0-6 (three frees); P Conroy 0-3 (two frees); S Rabbitte, R O’Connell, J Duane 0-1 each.

Scorers for Gneeveguilla: L Murphy 0-7 (five frees); DJ O’Connor, B O’Leary, B Sheehan 0-1 each.

ST JAMES: J Egan; S Coughlan, A Deacy, C Glynn; J Burke, J Duane, T Walsh; P Conroy, M Kelly; M Elwood, E Concannon, S Donnellan; R O’Connell, A O’Donnell, S Rabbitte.

Subs: B Dooney for O’Connell (51), S Boyle for Donnellan (59), D O’Connell for O’Donnell (60), M McCormack for Elwood (77).

GNEEVEGUILLA: P O’Riordan; B Sheehan, E Lawlor, MB Murphy; Danny O’Connor, P O’Connor, J Sheahan; JP Brosnan, D Murphy; M Murphy, F McAuliffe, B O’Leary; DJ O’Connor, L Murphy, Donie O’Connor.

Subs: R McAuliffe for O’Leary (40), T O’Leary for Danny O’Connor (40), D Murphy for Donie O’Connor (58), M Sheahan for D Murphy (65), Donie O’Connor for Sheahan (65), D Murphy for P O’Connor (78).

Referee: R Hickey (Clare)