Corn Uí Mhuirí Football Q-Final – Tralee CBS 1-15 St Flannan’s, Ennis 1-12

Moriarty points the way for Tralee CBS

Tralee CBS 1-15 St Flannan’s, Ennis 1-12

By Murt Murphy for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

FANCIED Tralee CBS were made fight all the way before beating a determined St Flannan’s, Ennis side in the Corn Ui Mhuiri quarter-final at bitterly cold Glin yesterday. The game was in the balance right to the final whistle as St Flannan’s, boosted by their dominant midfield pairing of Alan O’Neill and Tony Kelly, threatened to spoil the Tralee party. However, the potent Tralee attack, led by full-forward Jamie Moriarty who bagged eight points, was enough to see the Kerry side advance. Both Niall Sheehy and Sean Moloney ran Moriarty close with some superb running and shooting from the half forward line, and, in the final analysis, those players made all the difference.

Tralee CBS, despite having to play second fiddle in the middle of the park all through, led 0-5 to 0-3 at the end of the opening quarter thanks to three points from Jamie Moriarty and one each from Shane O’Callaghan and Sean Moloney. St Flannan’s countered with points from Martin O’Leary, Jamie Malone and Conor Cleary and would have been in front but for a brilliant save by Tralee keeper Peter Nammock who denied Martin O’Leary a certain goal. Exchanges were tight until half time with midfielder Tony Kelly the stand out performer, kicking three points in the final six minutes of the half, as Tralee led 0-8 to 0-6 at the interval playing with a stiff wind. Martin O’Leary closed the gap with an early second-half free before the game exploded into life with two goals within a minute in the 34th minute. Firstly Tralee, after a great Niall Sheehy run, set up Jamie Moriarty, who had his effort saved by the keeper, but Shane O’Callaghan drilled the rebound to the net.

From the kick out the Clare side attacked and when the move broke down close to the Tralee goal, a defender attempted a hand pass across his own goal that Cathal Doohan intercepted and shot to the Tralee net. Niall Sheehy and Moriarty kept Tralee in front but points from Martin O’Leary, Jamie Malone and Cathal Doohan saw the sides tied on 1-10 apiece with 10 minutes left. However, Tralee finished the stronger, full-back Laurence Bastible a rock at the heart of their defence, and it was Niall Sheehy and Sean Moloney who became the providers as Jamie Moriarty showed his class with three late points that killed off the St Flannan’s. Tralee CBS now meet the only non Kerry side left in the competition, Coláiste Chriost Ri in the semi-final.

Scorers for Tralee CBS: J Moriarty 0-8 (0-3 frees), S O’Callaghan 1-1, N Sheehy and S Moloney 0-3 each.

St Flannan’s: C Doohan 1-1, T Kelly 0-4, C Cleary 0-3 (0-2 frees), M O’Leary and J Malone 0-2 each

TRALEE CBS: P Nammock; M Tierney, L Bastible, A Crean; J Moran, R O’Shea, C Deane; J C O’Connor, S Walsh; N Sheehy, S Moloney, I McCarthy; R Quill, J Moriarty, S O’Callaghan.

Sub: J Savage for S O’Callaghan (52)

ST FLANNAN’S: J Neylon; M Malone, G Ryan, B Clancy; E Enright, J Colleran, G O’Connell; A O’Neill, T Kelly; L Breathnach, A Downes, C Cleary; M O’Leary, J Malone, C Doohan.

Subs: E Boyce for G Ryan (24), B Lynch for A Downes (42).

Referee: M Meade (Limerick)

Corn Uí Mhuirí Football Q-Final – Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 0-11 De La Salle, Macroom 0-6

Chorca Dhuibhne turn tables on Macroom

Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne 0-11 De La Salle, Macroom 0-6

By Jason O’Connor for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

POBALSCOIL Chorca Dhuibhne advanced to a second successive Corn Ui Mhuiri semi-final after a five point win over their conquerors last year, De La Salle Macroom in Killarney. Shading a tight first-half 0-4 to 0-3, Pobalscoil clicked into a higher gear in the second-half, inspired by substitute Tomás Ó Caomhanaigh as well as four points from wing-forward Eanna Ó Conchuir. De La Salle were too reliant on full-forward Ben Shorten (he kicked five points) while a late save by Pobalscoil keeper Gavin Ó Curráin from Darren Kelly denied last year’s runners-up hope of a grandstand finish.

Scorers: Pobalscoil: E Ó Conchuir (0-4), S Ó Diomsaigh (0-2, 1 free), Dara Ó Se (0-2), A Ó Raoill (0-1, ‘45’), R Ó Beaglaoich (0-1) and J Ó Súilleabhain (0-1)

De la Salle: B Shorten (0-5, 4 frees) and D Creed (0-1)

CHORCA DHUIBHNE: G Ó Currain; P Ó Dubhain, C Ó Luing, P Ó Conchuir; P Ó Se, C Ó Gealbhain, A Raoill; R Ó Beaglaoich, M Ó Caomhanaigh; D de Brun, D Ó Se, E Ó Conchuir; D Mac Carthaigh, S Ó Diomsaigh, J Ó Súilleabhain.

Subs: T Ó Caomhanaigh for M Ó Caomhnaigh, T Ó Se for Mac Carthaigh and S Ó Grifin for Ó Diomsaigh

DE LA SALLE: P Kelliher; K Manning, R O’Dwyer, C Casey; S Creedon, P Grainger, F Buckley; L Kelliher, P Moynihan; D Creed, D Kelly, S O’Sullivan; D Foley, B Shorten, A Moynihan.

Subs: D Twomey for Grainger, C Vaughan for O’Sullivan.

Referee: D O’Mahony (Tipperary)

Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final Replay – Our Lady’s Templemore 1-16 Midleton CBS 0-6

Our Lady’s, Templemore 1-16 Midleton CBS 0-6

By Jackie Cahill for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

OUR LADY’S, Templemore produced a much-improved performance to storm past Midleton CBS in a one-sided Dr Harty Cup quarter-final replay in Cahir yesterday. The Tipperary outfit ran out 13-point winners to seal a place in the last four for the first time since 2002. And they will meet another Cork side, Charleville CBS, as they hunt for a first Harty Cup success since 1978. At half-time yesterday, they led 1-7 to 0-5 and it was a solid platform to work with, having played against a strong breeze in the opening half. And it was all one-way traffic in the second half as Our Lady’s tacked on another nine points while Midleton grabbed just one, a free from Barry Lawton. Captain Conor Lehane, who scored 2-9 in the drawn game, was badly off-colour. Lehane managed just three points, two from frees, and hit five of wasteful Midleton’s six first-half wides, with Lawton responsible for three of his side’s six wides in the second-half. Our Lady’s, meanwhile, were clinical and finished with scoring contributions from seven different players, as top scorer Liam McGrath notched six points to add to the 14 he banged over in the drawn match.

The Loughmore-Castleiney trio of McGrath, cousin John and Liam Treacy were in superb form. At corner back, Tom Meade was superb, while Thomas Hamill at centre-back showed good form. Lehane, despite missing many chances from placed balls and play, never stopped trying and pulled off a couple of spectacular catches. But, from Midleton puckouts, he was constantly policed by a pair of Templemore defenders and no other forwards were good enough to step up to the plate with Lehane well shackled. Goalkeeper William McCarthy did emerge with a huge degree of credit after pulling off a number of good saves to keep the score down. With eight minutes on the watch, McCarthy did well to block Shane Hassett’s rasping shot, but Our Lady’s full-forward Jason Bergin reacted quickest to tap home the only goal of the game.

Liam McGrath almost added a second for Templemore in the 17th minute but he was first denied by McCarthy and then the crossbar. And six minutes after half-time, McCarthy did well again as he deflected a fierce Liam McGrath penalty over the bar, awarded after the same player had been hauled down by Midleton corner back Neil O’Regan.

Scorers for Our Lady’s Templemore: L McGrath 0-6 (5f, 0-1 pen), J Bergin 1-1, M Kelly 0-3, J McGrath & S Hassett 0-2 each, L Treacy & C O’Riordan 0-1 each.

Scorers for Midleton: B Lawton (1f) and C Lehane (2f), 0-3 each.

OUR LADY’S, TEMPLEMORE: P Guerins; J Nyland, K Kennedy, T Meade; L Mullally, T Hamill, J Moloney; L Treacy, C O’Riordan; L McGrath, S Hassett, J McGrath; M Kelly, J Bergin, O Ryan.
Subs: B Kennedy for Mullally (57), P Meade for Ryan (58), D Donnelly for T Meade (60+1), A O’Riordan for Hassett (60+2), M Hogan for Kelly (60+2).

MIDLETON CBS: W McCarthy; D O’Brien, K Burke, N O’Regan; A Gosnell, L Coughlan, I Kennefick, D Cahill, C Walsh; D Walsh, B Lawton, C Lehane; D Morrissey, M Hennessy, P White.
Subs: W Leahy for White (37), D Dineen for Hennessy (58).

Referee: S Hourigan (Limerick)

Corn Uí Mhuirí Football Q-Final – Coláiste Chríost Rí 0-11 Coláiste na Sceilge 0-10

Críost Rí finish strongly to edge Kerry rivals

Coláiste Chríost Rí 0-11 Coláiste na Sceilge 0-10

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

COLÁISTE Chríost Rí shaded a gripping Corn Uí Mhuirí quarter-final encounter in Rathmore yesterday and also booked their berth in the last four of the competition for the first time since 2005. This was a superb victory for Críost Rí with the teams level eight times over the hour. But when the game entered its critical phase, Críost Rí displayed the necessary enterprise to make a winning burst.  Firstly, in the 60th minute, corner-forward Ciarán Dalton did extremely well to keep the ball in play and then he cut in along the endline before popping over a priceless point. That was followed by a composed score by midfielder Shane O’Keeffe after a methodical build-up and suddenly Críost Rí had moved two points clear.

Coláiste na Sceilge tried desperately hard to save their campaign as they heaped pressure on the Críost Rí defence. But the Cork side’s rearguard coped impressively and a Morgan O’Donoghue point was all that the Kerry school could muster. Cork minor Kevin Fulignati anchored Críost Rí’s challenge at full-back as he kept a close watch on dangerman Ciaran Keating, while Tomás Lawrence and Stephen Cronin sparkled in the half-back line.  In the Críost Rí attack, Alan Nolan was full of running at half-forward, Conor Horgan’s 0-4 haul was invaluable in such a close game and Luke Connolly, another county minor last year, was a potent target man during the first-half.

Coláiste na Sceilge were boosted when Ciaran Keating swung over two classy points with his left foot in the first-half, his cousin Michael clipped over another and midfielder Kieran O’Driscoll also got forward to raise a white flag. Connolly’s fine score in the 21st minute edged Críost Rí in front 0-5 to 0-4, yet they were tied at the break courtesy of an injury-time O’Donoghue score.  There was a clear pattern to the second-half play as the teams traded points incessantly. Críost Rí had a good spread of scores with efforts from Eoin Finn and Nolan from play ensuring they finished up with five of their forwards on target during the tie.  In contrast Coláiste na Sceilge were dependent on the accurate freetaking of Darren O’Sullivan to keep them in touch. Ciaran Keating suffered from a lack of possession close to goal and was forced to come deep to get on the ball. The surging runs of wing-back Paul O’Sullivan and the assurance of centre-back Michael O’Connor ensured Coláiste na Sceilge remained in the hunt.  An incisive Michael O’Connor run led to a free that O’Sullivan pointed to tie the game at 0-9 apiece in the 57th minute and Coláiste na Sceilge did have a couple of opportunities to hit the front at a vital stage. But Chríost Rí’s greater power and accuracy at the finish was decisive in setting up a semi-final meeting with Tralee CBS.

Scorers for Coláiste Chríost Rí: C Horgan 0-4 (two frees); S O’Keeffe, L Connolly 0-2 each; A Nolan, E Finn, C Dalton 0-1 each.

Coláiste na Sceilge: D O’Sullivan 0-3 (three frees); C Keating, M O’Donoghue 0-2 each; M O’Connor, K O’Driscoll, M Keating 0-1 each.

COLÁISTE CHRÍOST RÍ: J Kerins; M Lyons, K Fulignati, D O’Keeffe; E Dennehy, T Lawrence, S Cronin; P Fitzgerald, S O’Keeffe; A Nolan, C Horgan, E Finn; C Dalton, L Connolly, E McGreevy.

Subs: B Madden for Fitzgerald (59).

COLÁISTE NA SCEILGE: D Murphy; K Curran, B Murphy, O O’Mahony; S O’Shea, M O’Connor, P O’Sullivan; K O’Driscoll, J Curran; D O’Sullivan, D Daly, M Keating; C O’Shea, C Keating, M O’Donoghue. Subs: E O’Sullivan for M Keating (55).

Referee: D Cahill (Tipperary)

Corn Uí Mhuirí Football Q-Final – St. Brendan’s, Killarney 2-15 Intermediate School, Killorglin 1-9

Slick St Brendan’s show the stuff of champions

St. Brendan’s, Killarney 2-15 Intermediate School, Killorglin 1-9

by Brendan Larkin for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

CHAMPIONS St. Brendan’s, Killarney had little difficulty beating Intermediate School Killorglin in a disappointing Corn Ui Mhuiri quarter-final at Listry yesterday. Playing superb football, the Sem were never headed after the talented Brian O’Shea kicked them in front with a point in the second minute, and it was very much a case of how much the Killarney school would win by. They laid the foundations for their victory up front where, apart from O’Shea, Conor Keane and Tom Moriarty sparkled. Keane, in particular, gave the ISK defence a torrid time.

County minor Gary O’Leary ruled the roost at midfield, while in defence Colin Tobin and Killian Fitzgerald were never beaten. ISK were a big disappointment. They could never come to grips with the excellent team work of their opponents though they did threaten to make game of it with a Jack O’Connor goal just after half time which cut the deficit to four points. However, they failed to build on it and were a well beaten side at the final whistle. There was a great competitive edge to the clash in the opening minutes but, after the sides exchanged points, there was an air of inevitably about the outcome after Tom Moriarty slipped home Brendan’s opening goal in the 10th minute.

Brendan’s class was evident from early on and playing some delightful football they kicked five points without reply to lead 1-9 to 0-1 after 20 minutes. And it could have been a goal more but for an excellent save by ISK keeper Sean Lillis to deny Pádraig Nagle. Killorglin moved full-forward Gary O’Sullivan to midfield for the remainder of the first-half and he was very influential as they finished the half strongly with a brace of points by Gavin Nolan.

Maintaining their first-half finish, ISK threw down the gauntlet on the change over with a Timmy Walsh point and a cracking goal by Jack O’Connor after a great run. Game on now. However, the champions had the ability to step up a couple of gears when danger threatened and nipped any hint of an ISK recovery with three unanswered points by Brian O’Shea, and a Paul Nagle goal to lead 2-14 to 1-5 at the three quarter-stage.

All credit to the Killorglin school, they kept plugging away and added three points in a row. But they only served to make the final scoreline more respectable.

Scorers for St. Brendan’s: B. O’Shea 0-7 (0-5 frees); T. Moriarty, P. Nagle 1-0 each; C. Keane 0-3; C. Horan, G. O’Leary 0-2 each; K. Murphy 0-1 (free).

ISK: G. Nolan 0-5 (0-4 frees); J. O’Connor 1-0; T, Walsh 0-3 (0-1 free); N. Breen 0-1.

ST. BRENDANS: D. Cronin; M. Egan, D. O’Leary, A. Slattery; J. Devane, C. Tobin, K. Fitzgerald; K. Murphy, G. O’Leary; N. Duggan, P. Nagle, C. Horan; T. Moriarty, B. O’Shea, C. Keane.

Subs: D. O’Donoghue for D. O’Leary (25); K. McCarthy for Duggan (40); D. Stack for Keane (45); J. Aherne for O’Shea (50); M McCarthy for Egan (55).

Intermediate School, Killorglin: S. Lellis; S. O’Sullivan, G. Nagle, K. O’Sullivan; P. Foley, K, Courtney, S. Lehane; J. O’Connor, F. Hallessy; D. O’Sullivan, K. Sheehan, E. O’Sullivan; G. Nolan, G. O’Sullivan, T. Walsh.

Subs: N, Breen for K. O’Sullivan (20); A. Gamble for Sheehan (50); M. McKenna for Foley (50); S. Daly for Nolan (55).

Referee: E. Walsh (Rathmore)

Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final – Ardscoil Rís Limerick 1-19 Thurles CBS 1-10

Ard Scoil in control as tempers fray

Ard Scoil Rís (Limerick) 1-19 Thurles CBS 1-10

By Diarmuid O’Flynn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A BAD-tempered start to this Harty Cup quarter-final in Tipperary Town yesterday, two players – John Fitzgibbon (Árd Scoil) and Seamus Kennedy (Thurles) — booked before even before throw-in. A bad-tempered finish also as another two players – Mark Ryan (Árd Scoil) and Michael O’Brien (Thurles) – were singled out for straight red cards after another mass brawl, when several players from both sides could easily have walked. Árd Scoil Rís hit the ground running, ahead 0-7 to 0-1 after just 10 minutes, Shane Dowling leading the way with three fine strikes, centre-back Declan Hannon scoring with a long-range free. Those two burgeoning stars were to the fore for the Limerick school, completely dominating their respective positions, but they weren’t alone by any means. The full-back line of Kelvin Lynch, Barry O’Connell and Martin Moroney faced a daunting task in trying to mind Michael O’Brien, Aidan McCormack and Conor Hammersley but did the business to spectacular effect.

Wing-backs Alan Dempsey and Damien Moloney defended well, midfielders Jamie Shanahan and Mark Ryan (so unlucky now to miss the semi-final) were also on top, while up front, wing-forwards Mark Carmody and Brendan O’Connor worked like Trojans, and both the elusive Kevin O’Brien and Óisín Hickey caused the Thurles inside defence problems. With so much talent on view then, a well-coached side playing intelligent hurling, no surprise Árd Scoil maintained their advantage to the break, at which point they led 1-10 to 0-6. Thurles were keeping in touch, but it was mostly through the blade of McCormack, who hit some huge points from placed balls – but you’re not going to beat this Árd Scoil side with just one major scoring threat.

Into the second-half and still it was the Limerick side on top, midfielder Shanahan with a point straight from the throw-in, then Dowling, Fitzgibbon, O’Connor, Carmody, Hickey and Dowling again all pointing, helping to stretch the Árd Scoil lead to 1-17 to 0-9 by the 51st minute, Thurles still very much relying on McCormack’s free-taking. Not enough, and that 55th minute goal by Slattery merely served to put a gloss on the scoreboard.

Scorers for Árd Scoil Rís: S Dowling 0-9 (0-6 frees); J Fitzgibbon 1-2; O Hickey 0-2; J Shanahan 0-2; K O’Brien, B O’Connor, M Carmody, D Hannon (free), 0-1 each.

Thurles CBS: A McCormack 0-6 (all frees); K Slattery 1-0; P Ralph, J Meagher, M Sadlier, D Burke, 0-1 each.

ÁRD SCOIL RÍS: PJ Hall; K Lynch, B O’Connell, M Moroney; A Dempsey, D Hannon, D Moloney; J Shanahan, M Ryan; M Carmody, S Dowling, B O’Connor; K O’Brien, O Hickey, J Fitzgibbon. Subs: C Lynch for O’Brien (43); C Keogh for Moloney (inj. 47); J Kelliher for O’Connor (inj. 49); F Carey for Lunch (53); J Hannon for Hickey 54).

THURLES CBS: J Maher; S Kennedy, J Ryan, J Bourke; C Quirke, J Meagher, J Stapleton; S Maher, S Cahill; P Ralph, M Sadlier, D Burke; M O’Brien, A McCormack, C Hammersley. Subs: E Moriarty for Cahill (47); K Slattery for Burke (41); M Cussen for Stapleton (57); M Lanigan for Hammersley (58).

Referee: D Copps (Cork)