Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final – St. Flannans College Ennis 4-13 St. Colmans College Fermoy 2-10

O’Donnell the St Flannan’s ace

St Flannan’s, Ennis 4-13 St Colman’s, Fermoy 2-10

From the Irish Independent newspaper

Thursday January 20 2011

A late flurry by St Flannan’s ensured a nine-point victory over fierce rivals St Colman’s in yesterday’s quarter-final at a sunny Charleville. Although they deserved to win, the margin somewhat flattered the Ennis hurling nursery, who only led by two points with three minutes of normal time remaining. Then, a rather fortuitous goal after a shot from out the field, close to the left sideline, by Conor O’Gorman put some daylight between the sides, before another three-pointer from corner-forward Shane O’Donnell sealed the Cork school’s fate late in injury-time.

The Clare academy led by 1-6 to 1-4 at the break, having lorded it over their opponents for the opening quarter. After 13 minutes, they were 1-5 to 0-2 in front, with Jack Browne grabbing the game’s first goal. However, an improved effort from Colman’s late in the half yielded some good scores, particularly a 30th-minute goal from captain Michael Spillane, who was set up by Gerard Hogan. After the break, the Fermoy side took the lead with an early goal, again scored by Spillane, and by the 34th minute they enjoyed a two-point lead, thanks to a fine individual effort by wing-back Bryan Carroll.

By the middle of the half, the sides were locked at 2-7 to 1-10, before O’Donnell hit the first of his pair of goals in the 47th minute for the Clare boys. He beat three defenders before slotting to the net from close range. St Colman’s had been too reliant on Spillane for scores on the day — the Castlelyons man hitting all but three of his team’s tally and in the latter stages of the game, Flannan’s ability to convert goal chances proved decisive.

Scorers — St Flannan’s: S O’Donnell 2-1, C O’Gorman 1-4, P Duggan 0-4 (1f), J Browne 1-0, T Kelly 0-3 (1f), M O’Leary 0-1. St Colman’s: M Spillane 2-7 (3 65s, 2f), K Morrison, C Spillane, B Carroll 0-1 each.

St Flannan’s — E Enright; C O’Loughlin , N Purcell, S Morey; E Boyce, S O’Halloran, G O’Connell; T Kelly, J Colleran; C Doohan, M O ‘Leary, C O’Gorman; J Browne, P Duggan, S O’Donnell. Subs: A O’Neill for Doohan (52).

St Colman’s — D O’Callaghan; W Walsh, C O’Leary, C Barry; P Roche, D O’Carroll, B Carroll; E Maye, N Byrne; M Pyne, C Spillane,K Morrison; M Spillane, G Hogan, J Mannix. Subs: D Mangan for Hogan (47), M Wade for Maye (52), M O’Neill for Pyne (53).

Ref — F Horgan (Tipperary)

Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final – Our Lady’s Templemore 1-17 Midleton CBS 3-11

Cahill the Midleton hero with dramatic injury-time leveller

Midleton CBS 3-11 Our Lady’s Templemore 1-17

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 20, 2011

MIDLETON CBS rescued their Dr Harty Cup campaign when Dillon Cahill grabbed a dramatic injury-time goal to force a draw against Our Lady’s Templemore in a pulsating quarter-final clash in Cahir yesterday afternoon. The East Cork school appeared on the brink after producing a below-par second-half display. They held fine prospects for success at the break as they possessed a 2-7 to 0-6 advantage but a resurgent Our Lady’s performance ensured that Midleton’s lead had morphed into a four point deficit nearing the finish.

However, after Conor Lehane trimmed it to three, the same player swung over a sideline from the right wing and midfielder Cahill flicked the ball through a scrum of bodies past Our Lady’s netminder Jack Bourke. The stunning finale was not without a degree of controversy. In the build up, the linesman on the left wing raised his flag to award a sideline against full-back Killian Burke yet referee Damien Fox allowed the action to proceed and Midleton took maximum advantage. The match was largely defined by two outstanding attacking displays by Liam McGrath, cousin of Tipperary senior Noel, and Conor Lehane. McGrath racked up a total of 0-14 for Our Lady’s while Lehane weighed in with 2-9 for Midleton CBS. The bulk of those scores were from placed balls yet both players won plenty frees through incisive running and they displayed nerve and leadership to provide scoring inspiration for their teams.

Our Lady’s opened in a positive fashion courtesy of a brace of points from McGrath, including an exquisite sideline cut, but Midleton quickly settled to the pace of the game. With Burke and Ian Kennefick resolute in defence, they rattled off five points on the trot to lead 0-5 to 0-2 by the 17th minute. Our Lady’s kept in touch through the relentless accuracy of McGrath yet the match took a decisive turn against them in the 26th minute when a long-range Lehane free evaded everyone and dropped into the net. To compound matters the Templemore school failed to clear their lines again in the 30th minute when Lehane fired in a free from distance and another green flag was raised. Those two fortuitous goals afforded Midleton a seven-point lead at the break.

Our Lady’s conjured up a terrific recovery in the second-half. Corner-forward Martin Kelly whipped a long delivery to the net inside the opening minute and that ignited their revival. Thomas Harnell, Liam Treacy, and John and Liam McGrath all proceeded to stamp their authority on proceedings and by the 45th minute they were level, 2-9 to 1-12, when Kelly landed their first point from play. Liam McGrath’s outstanding marksmanship continued to be a shining feature of the game, he struck eight points in the second-half, and once Our Lady’s hit the front on the scoreboard in the 50th minute, they had the momentum to kick on. A long-range point by midfielder Liam Treacy pushed them in front by 1-17 to 2-10 in the 59th minute yet just as they seemed poised for victory, Midleton’s battling qualities surfaced to register the late scores that tied the game. The replay will take place next Wednesday afternoon in Cahir at 2.30pm.

Scorers for Midleton CBS: C Lehane 2-9 (2-7 frees); D Cahill 1-0; C Walsh, M Hennessy (0-1 each).

Scorers for Our Lady’s Templemore: L McGrath 0-14 (10 frees, 0-1 ‘65, 0-1 sideline); M Kelly 1-1; S Hassett, L Treacy (0-1 each).

MIDLETON CBS: W McCarthy; D O’Brien, K Burke, N O’Regan; D Dineen, I Kennefick, A Gosnell; D Cahill, L O’Driscoll; B Lawton, C Walsh, C Lehane; D Morrissey, M Hennessy, P White.

OUR LADY’S TEMPLEMORE: J Bourke; J Nyland, K Kennedy, T Meade; L Mullally, T Harnell, J Moloney; L Treacy, C O’Riordan; L McGrath, S Hassett, J McGrath; M Kelly, J Bergin, O Ryan. Subs: B Kennedy for Mullally (36), P Meade for Ryan (57), D Donnelly for Harnell (inj) (61).

Referee: Damien Fox

Dr. Harty Cup Hurling Q-Final – Charleville CBS 1-12 Nenagh CBS 2-6

O’Callaghan the ace for Charleville

Charleville CBS 1-12 Nenagh CBS 2-6

By Brendan Larkin for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Thursday, January 20, 2011

CHARLEVILLE CBS won this Harty Cup quarter-final tie at Clarina yesterday far more convincingly than the score line suggests. After leading 0-7 to 0-3 at half-time, they stormed into a 1-8 to 0-3 lead after 35 minutes thanks to Dean Copps goal and looked to be heading for a comprehensive victory.

All credit to the Nenagh side, however, they refused to throw in the towel, and the introduction of Kevin Seymour with 20 minutes to go added badly needed strength to a very weak forward division. A Jason Forde goal from a 20 metre free, raised hopes of a grandstand finish, and when the same player repeated that feat with two minutes to go, only two points separated the sides.

However, the North Cork school held their nerve and a superb long range point by the magnificent Pa O’Callaghan from inside his own half, ensured them of their place in the semi-final where they await the winners of the Midleton CBS/Our Ladys replay. The performances of David Reidy at centre back for Charleville, John Madigan at full back, Timmy Rea, John O’Brien and Dean Copps were also significant but 15-year-old Pa O’Callaghan was the best forward on view. Contrastingly, Nenagh were limited in attack and the fact that they could only muster one point from play for 65 minutes hurling (five added for injuries) tells its own story.

Charleville signalled their intent from the throw in and deservedly led 0-4 to 0-1 after 12 minutes. With Pa O’Callaghan sparkling at corner forward, Charleville were full value for their 0-7 to 0-3 half-time lead, O’Callaghan claiming four of his side’s tally. Maintaining their dominance on the changeover, Charleville struck the decisive blow in the 35th minute when Dean Copps was on hand to force Darren Sheehy’s long delivery over the line. Nenagh were in need of inspiration from somewhere if they were not to be completely over-run and it came in the form of a goal from a 20 metre free by Jason Forde in the 45th minute.

With Mark Tuite taking over the free taking duties from an out of form Forde, he cut the deficit further with two points from long range frees, before Nenagh were thrown a second life line. Inexplicably the referee penalised the Charleville ‘keeper for over-carrying despite he (the ‘keeper) being flattened by a late challenge inside the small square, and Forde duly converted the 20 metre free to make it a two point game. However it was as close as Charleville let them get and they held on for a deserved victory and a place in the last four for the first time.

Scorers for Charleville: P O’Callaghan 0-7 (frees), D Copps 1-0, J O’Brien, T Rea (0-2 each), M O’Loughlin 0-1.

Scorers for Nenagh: J Forde 2-3 (2-2frees), M Tuite 0-3 (0-2 frees, 0-1 65’).

CHARLEVILLE CBS: TJ Garvey; S Butler, J Madigan, J Walsh; C Twomey, D Reidy, A Dennehy; D Sheehy, M O’Loughlin; T Rea, M Kavanagh, J Morrissey; D Copps, J O’Brien, P O’Callaghan.

Sub: G Kelleher for Morrissey (50).

NENAGH CBS: K Flynn; J Peters, J O’Dwyer, J O’Flaherty; E Hayes, D Quinn, N Gleeson; D Ryan, T Gallagher; M Tuite, J Forde, K O’Flaherty; P Shanahan, P Fogarty, D Walsh.

Subs: D Williams for D Ryan (27), K Seymour for Fogarty (40), J Mackey for K O’Flaherty (50).

Referee: M Meade (Limerick)