All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final – Tipperary 3-17 Galway 3-16

Tipperary defeated Galway by 3-17 to 3-16 in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final on Sunday in Croke Park.

Corbett’s last coup closes out an epic

TOM HUMPHRIES At Croke Park for the Irish Times newspaper

ALL-IRELAND SHC QUARTER-FINAL Tipperary 3-17 Galway 3-16: STRANGE HOW gingerly some counties approach each other and how wanton other encounters are. Galway and Tipp hurl without fear of each other and in the time of their modern rivalry they seldom disappoint. In Croke Park yesterday they produced a magnificent match, the game this hurling season has been parched for. Tipperary advance by the width of a late point to an All-Ireland semi-final with Waterford. Galway finish another season with their hearts ripped out. Going into the home stretch this was a game they should have finished out. Tipp got the final three scores of the game, however, and for that feat of sang froid alone they were probably worth their victory. It is customary for us to round on referees these days for supposedly engineering draws in big games. If anything yesterday, James Owens’ refusal in the last seconds to manufacture a draw or grant us the benison of extra-time was the only unsatisfactory element of a thrilling afternoon.

A long free from Ger Farragher dropped into the Tipp square. A Galway hand (Niall Healy’s) rose as if to claim Excalibur. And promptly disappeared beneath a churning lake of blue and gold. A penalty looked a possibility. A free looked a likelihood. The referee seemed by his body language (a half-hearted spreading of the arms) to be opting for the penalty. A second or two of scrummaging ensued as we awaited the decision. Anti-climactically, the game was blown up. Anybody inclined to criticism of the referee, though, should filter their words through his contribution to a game that was passionate and intense and refereed shrewdly enough for its fluidity to be undiminished. A pity because as a tactical battle and an exhibition of hurling the game was unsurpassed this season. Galway, without Cyril Donnellan, started with Kevin Hayes in the forward line, while Tipp dropped Eoin Kelly out to centre forward, with Patrick Maher moving to the wing and Lar Corbett roving.

Early on it looked as if Tipp would overwhelm Galway. They began in the spirit they had finished in Croke Park last September, with Patrick Maher bursting through, hopping off a challenge from Tony Óg Regan and scoring a fine point. A minute later Corbett, 70 yards out on the right sideline, sent over a wonderful score. Galway were in trouble, we thought. But at four points to one down they got their first break. The puck out from an Eoin Kelly score broke through to Éanna Ryan, who pounced like a wolf after a meatball. Pádraig Maher was flailing behind but Ryan struck a lovely goal to the corner of Brendan Cummins’ net. The sides were level for the first time in play. They would be level nine more times before the end.

When Galway look back on this latest heartbreak they will perhaps compare Eoin Kelly’s blossoming season with that of Joe Canning. Zestless all summer, Canning was held scoreless from play yesterday and looks like a man in need of time and space to sort his injuries out and recover his appetite and sharpness. Club and county will surely encourage him to take the time necessary. By comparison, the graph of Eoin Kelly’s season makes happier reading and the first of his critical interventions came on 18 minutes yesterday with a goal in the style of Galway’s first. A long puck-out came to Patrick Maher, who wisely and speedily handpassed into Kelly’s path. Bang. Tipp were suddenly three points clear again. That provoked Galway’s best period. They got on top in midfield and registered six points without reply, starting with an uplifting Canning sideline and finishing with a wonder score from Iarla Tannian.

Three minutes from half-time and they led by three points. They went into the tunnel two down. Points from Brendan Maher and Kelly again were followed just at the death by a breakthrough in the tactic of putting long, high balls into Noel McGrath. He had batted one effort just wide some minutes earlier but this time moved the ball through into the Tipp square where Séamus Callanan, a newly-installed sub, stood as isolated as a lighthouse. He netted efficiently: 2-8 to 1-9 at the break. Callanan’s introduction strengthened Tipp in that Shane McGrath moved to midfield in place of David Young and Tipp got on top there gradually while their half-back line continued to shade things.

The evidence of all this would come later, however. Eoin Kelly pointed a free but then Paul Curran had to endure the humiliation of a double error which let Damien Hayes in for Galway’s second goal. Level again. Afterwards when Brendan Cummins noted “Galway got goal chances and took them . . . maybe our own fault. But with forwards like they have, they will always take them” He was speaking diplomatically about the second in particular. Six minutes after that, though, more redemption. Gearóid Ryan was put through at the other end. Bang. Tipp’s third goal. Duly they pulled away, only to be hauled back when Pádraig Maher was adjudged to have chopped at Joe Canning and a penalty was awarded.

Joe may not have been at his best but he didn’t refuse the gift. Galway clawed back to a point behind before Damien Hayes brought them level. And so it ebbed and flowed till Aonghus Callanan put Galway two points up with a couple of minutes of ordinary time remaining. Tipp had to mine their resources. They did. Substitute John O’Brien and Ryan scored points and then Pa Bourke shifted a pass to Corbett, who scored the winner with the coolness of a man practising after training.

TIPPERARY : B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; D Fanning, C O’Mahony, P Maher; B Maher (0-2) , D Young; G Ryan (1-2), P Maher (0-1) , S McGrath; N McGrath (0-1), L Corbett (0-3), E Kelly (1-7, 6 frees). Subs: S Callanan (1-0) for Young (30 mins), J O’Brien (0-1) for N McGrath (53 mins), C O’Brien for Fanning (62 mins), P Bourke for P Maher (65 mins).

GALWAY : C Callanan; D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning; D Barry, T Óg Regan, D Collins; G Farragher (0-2), D Burke (0-1); E Ryan (1-1) , K Hayes, A Smith; D Hayes (1-3), J Canning (1-5, 1-0 pen, three frees, 65, one lineball), I Tannian (0-1). Subs: K Hynes (0-2) for K Hayes (51 mins), A Callanan (0-1) for Ryan (53 mins), J Lee for O Canning (67 mins), N Healy for Smith (69 mins)

Referee: J Owens (Wexford)

Croker magic as Tipp top the Tribe

Tipperary 3-17 Galway 3-16

By Diarmuid O’Flynn for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, July 26, 2010

ONE point, one solitary, glorious point, that was all that separated these two marvellous teams at the end of this magical, mesmerising All-Ireland SHC quarter-final in Croke Park yesterday. One point, from the ice-cool stick of Tipperary’s Lar Corbett in the first minute of injury-time was the difference between life – advancing to an All-Ireland semi-final with Waterford – and sporting death, the end of your inter-county hurling season. That two teams should play so well, should combine to offer us all one of the great games of one of the great sports, it seems unfair that one reaps all the reward, the other suffers all the agony.

“There’s a very thin line between winning and losing,” said a shattered John McIntyre, Tipperary in his soul but now, as manager and long-time resident, Galway in his heart. “And there is often then a presumption that on the losing team, either the management or the players were off the pace, but Tipp got the breaks in the final minutes – ah, this is tough…” Tough indeed, and very tough, that on the day the Tribesmen produced their best and most sustained 70-plus minutes of hurling for several years, their hopes should be shattered by a side which, in the end, was just that shade better.

But that’s sport, the cruelty, the glory; it’s those very vagaries that keep us all so in thrall, it’s why we come back again and again, even those who – like Galway yesterday, players, management and supporters – suffer the most. Let no-one criticise this Galway effort yesterday, let no-one question why Tipperary, and not Galway, advance. Galway gave their all, but they met a superior force – it is that simple. Oh, we had so hoped for a game like this, for a match of real quality in a season of so much disappointment. From the opening whistle the standard was set with four quality points for Tipperary (Patrick Maher and Lar Corbett with the openers, then two from Eoin Kelly), against a magnificent strike by Eanna Ryan (0-4 to 0-1).

Then came the first goal of the game, Ryan again (doing unto Tipp what his uncle of the same name had done so many times in the past) bursting onto the break of a huge Colm Callanan puckout, soloing through, and giving Brendan Cummins no chance to draw them level, (1-1 to 0-4). Soon, however, Tipperary would have a goal of their own, and it was almost a mirror image – a huge Cummins puckout, caught by the impressive Patrick Maher who parted to Eoin Kelly and again there was no chance for the keeper. A mere 19 minutes gone but at 1-6 to 1-3, the tone was set. Galway did then go on a bit of a run, probably the most dominant period for any one team in the match, hitting six points in the next 10 minutes to lead by three (1-9 to 1-6) as half-time approached. Significantly, however, they couldn’t hold that lead, and points from Kelly and midfielder Brendan Maher (brilliant again), then another goal (sub Seamus Callanan ghosting in behind the Galway defence), saw the pendulum swing back to Tipp who led by two points at the break (2-8 to 1-9). It was a fine first half, but even better was to come.

Within three minutes of the restart they were level again, the ever-alert and ever-dangerous Damien Hayes doing what he has been doing all season, making a nuisance of himself in around the danger area, forcing an error from the otherwise outstanding Paul Curran at full-back, and pouncing, to goal, tennis-style (a forehand smash) from point-blank range past the hapless and helpless Cummins. The sides were locked at 2-9 apiece. To and fro it swung for the next 30 minutes, each side adding a third goal. Gearoid Ryan had a cracker for Tipp, screaming onto a stray Patrick Maher pass before firing a pile-driver past Callanan in the 43rd minute. At the other end Joe Canning converted a penalty with a low bullet, after he had been pulled down by Padraig Maher in the 52nd minute. All the while the points continuing to flow. Three times they were level, 2-10 apiece (40th minute), 3-13 (54th), 3-14 (58th), two teams locked in mortal combat.

The reserves were called in, and as the game headed into the final 10 minutes, subs Kevin Hynes and Aongus Callanan each scored for Galway to give the men from the west a two-point advantage. As at the end of the first half, however, as in too many games over the past two barren decades, Galway couldn’t close the deal. A fine point from Tipperary sub John O’Brien, another from the flying Gearoid Ryan, and as the game went into injury-time it was all tied up once again, 3-16 apiece. Now was the moment and here the game was decided. Another Tipp sub, Pa Bourke, produced a defence-splitting run before parting to Lar Corbett, who turned, paused and drained the winner. Hero, heartbreaker. Whatever your stance, it was a privilege to witness.

Tipperary: B Cummins, P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill, D Fanning, C O’Mahony, P Maher, B Maher (0-2), D Young, G Ryan (1-2), P Maher (0-1), S McGrath, N McGrath (0-1), L Corbett (0-3), E Kelly (1-7 (0-6f).

Subs: S Callanan (1-0) for Young, J O’Brien (0-1) for N McGrath, C O’Brien for Fanning, P Bourke for P Maher

Galway: C Callanan, D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning, D Barry, T Og Regan, D Collins, G Farragher (0-2), D Burke (0-1), E Ryan (1-1), K Hayes, A Smith, D Hayes (1-3), J Canning (1-5, 1-0 pen, 3f, 1s/l, 1 ’65), I Tannian (0-1).

Subs: K Hynes (0-2) for K Hayes, A Callanan (0-1) for Ryan, J Lee for O Canning.

Referee: J Owens (Wexford)

Maher dictates another tale of woe for galway

By Martin Breheny for the Irish Independent newspaper

Monday July 26 2010

LIAM Sheedy wore the look of a man who just had his shoulders relieved of the heavy load which had stubbornly sat there since the last Sunday in May. That was the day that Tipperary’s carefully constructed championship plans were swamped by a Leeside flood as Cork opened the sluice gates and swept all before them. It left Tipperary with the sizeable challenge of sifting through the wreckage, salvaging what they could and rebuilding their All-Ireland dreams on new foundations. The success of that operation became apparent in Croke Park as Tipperary held their nerve over the closing minutes and hit Galway for three points to secure a semi-final clash with Waterford on August 15. Tipperary’s win may have been achieved by the bare minimum but, in many ways, that made it all the more satisfactory as it proved that their resolve was very much intact. “You want to be in Croke Park in mid-August,” said Sheedy. “It looked a long way off for us at the end of May but thankfully we’ll be there now.”

It was another heartbreaking afternoon for Galway as their run without a win in Croke Park extended to five years. For the second successive year, Galway had lost a quarter-final by a point after putting themselves in a winning position. But similar to the footballers, who blew two-point leads against Sligo and Wexford, the hurlers tensed up on home stretch, failing to score from the 61st minute when sub Aongus Callanan put them two points clear. Tipperary didn’t score again until the 68th minute but when sub John O’Brien pointed, it gave them a new impetus and Ger Ryan and Lar Corbett landed two more in stoppage time to edge them in front. Galway had one late stab at salvation when Ger Farragher’s long-range free dropped in front of the Tipperary goal but the ensuing stalemate was all to Tipperary’s advantage before referee James Owens blew the final whistle.

Galway manager John McIntyre claimed afterwards that Niall Healy had received a bang, which left him with a bloodied mouth as he became involved in a desperate tussle for the ball. Galway felt he should have got a free in but the referee saw it differently, much to Tipperary’s relief. They had prevailed in a massively entertaining game which was level on no fewer than 10 occasions. The closeness of the scoring, and the manner in which the lead changed hands, provided a fascinating spectacle and while the error rate was high on both sides, it was more than compensated for by the sheer drama. The perfect conditions provided the backdrop for a high-octane encounter between two teams who tend to put up big scores against each other. And so it was again yesterday with Tipperary finally nudging home by a single score from a combined total of 39.

It left Galway with a horrible empty feeling, one which won’t be helped by the evidence from the post-mortem which will inevitably take place. They restricted Tipperary to a single point between the 49th and 68th minutes, during which they helped they helped themselves to 1-4, yet failed to see the job through to a successful conclusion. The goal came in the 51st minute when Joe Canning, who was adjudged to have been held as he bore down on the Tipp goal, smacked a penalty to the net. Two points from impressive sub Kevin Hynes and one each from Damien Hayes and Aongus Callanan steered Galway into what looked to be winning territory only to lose their way on the run-in. Of course there was more to it than that. Tipperary’s dogged persistence in the closing minutes prised the initiative away from Galway who made a number of mistakes which cost them dearly.

But then both defences conceded scores which they would have expected to avoid. Seamus Callanan scored a simple goal before half-time when a flick by Noel McGrath split the Galway defence and, two minutes into the second half, Damien Hayes capitalised on an error by Paul Curran to whip the ball home. It was an uncharacteristic mistake by Curran who did well in his battle with Joe Canning. Restored to free-taking duties, Canning was Galway’s top scorer on 1-5, all of which came from placed balls. Once again the deliveries in his direction lacked accuracy but he also found Curran a very difficult opponent who will have been delighted to keep his vaunted opponent scoreless from play.

Damien Hayes and Eanna Ryan provided Galway’s main scoring threat from open play, making and exploiting openings as they notched a total of 2-4 between them. Sub Kevin Hayes did well too. Galway lined out without injured centre-forward Cyril Donnellan whose ability to break up play was badly missed. At the other end, Ger Ryan had a very productive afternoon while Lar Corbett, Eoin Kelly and subs Seamus Callanan and John O’Brien also contributed handsomely to the victory. Shane McGrath, who started at centre-forward, moved to midfield when Callanan replaced David Young in the 31st minute and made a big impact. However, it was Tipperary’s No 8 Brendan Maher who did best of all. His energy and workrate, allied to his fetching and delivering, made him a hugely significant figure and he also chipped in with a crucial point in either half.

Eanna Ryan’s goal in the 10th minute was cancelled out by an Eoin Kelly strike in the 19th minute before Galway scored six unanswered points to lead by three after 32 minutes. But Tipp pared two back before Callanan pounced for their second goal just before half-time to leave them 2-8 to 1-9 ahead at the break. Ger Ryan’s 43rd-minute goal came in the middle of a fertile spell for Tipperary which took them four points clear (3-13 to 2-12) after 49 minutes. Then it was Galway’s turn to enjoy a period of dominance which left them well placed to claim a semi-final slot as the game ticked towards the end of normal time. When the pressure was at its most intense in the final few minutes, it was Tipperary who had the composure to score three points which sunk Galway and re-awakened their own All-Ireland ambitions in a very meaningful way.

Scorers — Tipperary: E Kelly 1-7 (0-6f), G Ryan 1-2, S Callanan 1-0, L Corbett 0-3, B Maher 0-2, Patrick Maher, N McGrath, J O’Brien 0-1 each. Galway: J Canning 1-5 (1-0 pen, 0-3f, 0-1 ’65’, 0-1 line ball), D Hayes 1-3, E Ryan 1-1, G Farragher, K Hynes 0-2 each, I Tannian, D Burke, A Callanan 0-1 each.

Tipperary — B Cummins 7; P Stapleton 7, P Curran 8, M Cahill 7; D Fanning 7, C O’Mahony 8, Padraic Maher 7; Brendan Maher 9, D Young 5; G Ryan 8, Patrick Maher 6, S McGrath 7; N McGrath 5, L Corbett 7, E Kelly 7. Subs: S Callanan 7 for Young (31), J O’Brien 7 for N McGrath (54), C O’Brien for Fanning (63), P Bourke for Patrick Maher (66).

Galway — C Callanan 7; D Joyce 7, S Kavanagh 7, O Canning 7; D Barry 7, T Og Regan 8, D Collins 6; G Farragher 7, D Burke 6; E Ryan 7, K Hayes 5, A Smith 6; D Hayes 8, J Canning 6, I Tannian 5. Subs: K Hynes 8 for K Hayes (51), A Callanan 7 for Ryan (54), J Lee for O Canning (68), N Healy for Smith (69).

REF — J Owens (Wexford)

Tipperary come good at the death

From the web site

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tipperary are through to the semi-finals of the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship after hitting the last three points of the game to beat Galway by 3-17 to 3-16 in a cracking encounter at Croke Park on Sunday. Tipperary trailed by two points in the 69th minute, but points from John O’Brien and Gearóid Ryan levelled the game, before Lar Corbett hit the winner a minute into stoppage time. Galway had a late chance to force a replay when they were awarded a free inside their own half three minutes into stoppage time. Ger Farragher delivered a long ball into the area and Niall Healy won possession, but he was surrounded by blue and gold jerseys and flopped on the ground, unable to get his shot away and referee James Owens blew for full time.

It was cruel luck on the Tribesmen who had contributed so much to a superb game of hurling. Having been hit by a sucker punch just before the break – Seamus Callinan netted for Tipp on the stroke of half-time – Galway showed great resolve to come back thanks to goals from Damien Hayes and a Joe Canning penalty to lead in the final quarter. However, the Premier men came back from the death late in the game to claim their place in the semi-finals, where they will play Waterford. After a tight first half which saw Tipperary lead at the break by 2-8 to 1-9 thanks to Callanan’s late goal, the second half developed into a a real shootout between two heavyweights.

Tipperary opened up a 0-4 to 0-1 lead by the eight minute, but Galway hit back with the first of the game’s six goals when Eanna Ryan won a puck out and raced through on goal before unleashing a rocket past Brendan Cummins. Eoin Kelly, who would finish with 1-7 for Tipp, was the next to hit the back of the net, slicing through the Galway defence. His shot was low and hard, but Colm Callanan, the Galway goalkeeper, should have kept the ball out. Galway’s reaction was instant. Joe Canning sent a sideline cut over the bar and five more points in a row, including efforts from Damien Hayes, Ger Farragher and Iarla Tannian, gave the men from the west a 1-9 to 1-6 lead. Tipperary’s goal was a bolt from the blue. Ollie Canning had done a brilliant job shepherding Noel McGrath in the first half, but the youngster beat his opponent to a high ball, pulling first time to send Seamus Callanan clear on goal and the substitute, who came on for David Young seven minutes earlier, finished neatly. Having trailed for much of the half, Tipperary went into the half-time break two points to the good, 2-8 to 1-9.

Eoin Kelly extended their lead to three with a free just after the break, but it would not last long. Galway’s second came about after a series of mistakes from Tipperary full-back Paul Curran. The Mullinahone man miscontrolled the ball when came out to make a clearance and then inadvertently played it into the path of Damien Hayes when he stubbed his hurley into the ground while attempting to clear his lines the second time. Hayes, presented with a gift, gratefully accepted. The sides were level; 2-9 apiece. The early glut of scores set the tone for an entertaining second half. In keeping with the pattern of the game, Tipperary responded with a goal of their own. Patrick Maher won the ball in the Tipperary half-back line and shoveled it through to Gearóid Ryan, whose pace took him clear of the Galway defence and his shot beat Callanan. Tipperary had purposely moved Eoin Kelly out the field to make space in the full-forward line after Galway full-back Shane Kavanagh had controlled that are in the first half. The gambit had paid off.

Following a David Burke point for Galway, Tipp made a surge for the line, with Brendan Maher, Gearóid Ryan and Corbett all landing points from play to leave them 3-13 to 2-12 clear. It looked like the winning play. However, goals were never too far away in this game and the sixth of the afternoon arrived at just the right time for Galway. Padraic Maher was tackled by Joe Canning and spilled possession before he was adjudged to have – harshly it seems – fouled the Portumna man and the referee awarded the penalty. Joe Canning’s shot from was unstoppable. Kevin Hayes snapped over a point in the next play and Galway had turned the game on its head to lead by one.

Eoin Kelly levelled the game in the 58th minute from a placed ball, but it was Galway who looked the more likely winners and further scores from Kevin Hynes and Damien Hayes left them two clear with nine minutes to play. The momentum was with the Tribesmen and a place in the last four of the Championship for the first time since 2005 beckoned. The history of hurling in the west is littered with tales of heartache and near misses, and another chapter was added on Sunday, as Tipperary hit the last three points of the game to steal the victory at the death. John O’Brien and Gearóid Ryan did the initial bodywork with point from play, before Corbett delivered the knockout blow a minute into injury time.

Tipperary: B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; D Fanning, C O’Mahony, P Maher 0-2; B Maher, D Young; G Ryan 1-3, P Maher 0-1, S McGrath; N McGrath 0-1, L Corbett 0-3, E Kelly 1-7 (0-6f).

Tipperary Subs: S Callanan 1-0 for Young ’31, J O’Brien 0-1 for McGrath ’54, C O’Brien for Fanning ’62, P Bourke for Patrick Maher ’66.

Galway: C Callanan; D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning; D Barry, T Og Regan, D Collins; G Farragher 0-2, D Burke 0-1; E Ryan 1-1, K Hayes, A Smith; D Hayes 1-3, J Canning 0-5 (0-4f), I Tannian 0-1.

Galway Subs: K Hynes 0-2 for K Hayes ’52, A Callanan 0-1 for E Ryan ’55, J Lee for O Canning ’68, N Healy for A Smith ’70,

Referee: James Owens (Loch Garman)

Attendance: 27,864

Tipperary 3-17 Galway 3-16

From the web site

Sunday, 25 July 2010 19:34

Lar Corbett’s stoppage time winner gave Tipp victory in an epic All-Ireland SHC quarter-final at Croke Park. A thrilling contest ebbed and flowed from start to finish, propelled by the passion and skill of two totally committed sides. The scores were level on nine occasions before Liam Sheedy’s men pushed on in the closing stages to take the win and set up a semi-final clash with Waterford. A crowd of 27,864 was transported on a roller-coaster of twists and turns which produced half a dozen goals and heroism in spades. Eanna Ryan gave the Tribesmen a massive boost in the tenth minute when he burst through a gap in the Tipp defence to fire home a goal.

It was a much-needed score, given what had gone before, with the Munster men easing ahead with points from Patrick Maher, Lar Corbett and two from Eoin Kelly. Damien Hayes gave Galway the lead for the first time on 13 minutes, but Tipperary succeeded in keeping Joe Canning quiet, the cover provided by corner backs Paddy Stapleton and Michael Cahill largely responsible for the Portumna ace’s failure to score from play in the first half. Canning did bring the sides level for the third time from a 65 midway through the first half, but Tipperary immediately struck for a goal, Kelly drilling past Colm Callinan from Maher’s knock-down.

However, it was Galway who gained a fresh impetus from that score, scoring the next six points to go three clear. Canning arrowed over a superb sideline cut, and tagged on a couple of frees, with Damien Hayes, Iarla Tannion and Ger Farragher, with a huge effort, also on target. Excellent defending from Tony Óg Regan, Shane Kavanagh and David Collins kept Tipp scoreless for 16 minutes, but they finished the half with a 1-02 salvo to take a four-point advantage into the break. Kelly and Brendan Maher knocked over points, before Noel McGrath’s flick sent substitute Seamus Callanan through for a stoppage time goal and a 2-08 to 1-09 lead.

Galway hit the front again with a sensational start to the second half. Damien Hayes took advantage of a rare Paul Curran error to get in for a goal, and points from Farragher and Canning made it 2-11 to 2-10. A remarkable tie quickly took yet another twist, with Gearoid Ryan showing lightning pace to dart through for Tipp’s third goal on 43 minutes. Corbett gave them the relative comfort of a four-point lead, but inevitably there was to be yet another goal. Joe Canning was fouled and smashed home the penalty himself, and when Damien Hayes and Kevin Hynes tagged on points, the Connacht men were back in front. Hynes and fellow sub Aengus Callanan added further points, but Tipperary refused to surrender, and late scores from John O’Brien, Ryan and Corbett saw them win a classic contest.

Tipperary: B Cummins, P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill, D Fanning, C O’Mahony, P Maher, B Maher (0-2), D Young, G Ryan (1-2), P Maher (0-1), S McGrath, N McGrath (0-1), L Corbett (0-3), E Kelly (1-7).

Subs: S Callanan (1-0) for Young, J O’Brien (0-1) for N McGrath, C O’Brien for Fanning, P Bourke for P Maher

Galway: C Callanan, D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning, D Barry, T Og Regan, D Collins, G Farragher (0-2), D Burke (0-1), E Ryan (1-1), K Hayes, A Smith, D Hayes (1-3), J Canning (1-5), I Tannian (0-1).

Subs: K Hynes (0-2) for K Hayes, A Callanan (0-1) for Ryan, J Lee for O Canning.

Referee: J Owens (Wexford)

Team News

Tipperary have named the same 15 which started in last Sunday’s victory over Offaly for Sunday’s GAA Hurling Senior Championship quarter final against Galway. There is one positional switch – Shane McGrath is named at left half forward and Patrick “Bonner” Maher at centre forward.

The team is

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon Grange)

2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)

3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)

4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)

5. Declan Fanning (Killenaule)

6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)

7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

8. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)

9. David Young (Toomevara)

10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)

11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)

12. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

13. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

14. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

15. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain

GALWAY (SHC v Tipperary): C Callanan; D Joyce, S Kavanagh, O Canning; D Barry, T g Regan, D Collins; G Farragher, D Burke; A Smyth, C Donnellan, E Ryan; D Hayes, J Canning, I Tannian

Match Coverage

This game will be shown live on RTE Television

Press Pack for Tipperary Senior Hurling Panel 2010 All-Ireland SH Championship Quarter Final

Team Announcement

The team will be announced by email and local radio at 9pm on Thursday July 22nd. It will be posted on the Tipperary GAA website shortly after 9pm.

Player Profiles

A full list of player profiles can be found on the Tipperary GAA web site – click on the following link to view this information –

Management Profiles

Liam Sheedy (Portroe), Eamon O’Shea (Kilruane MacDonaghs) and Michael Ryan (Upperchurch-Drombane) are in their third season in charge of the Tipperary Senior Hurling team.

Liam Sheedy, who is team manager, was previously a senior hurling selector in 2003 and was Manager of the Tipperary Minor Hurling team in 2005 and 2006, winning an All-Ireland title in 2006. He also served as Manager of the Intermediate Hurling team. He played 7 senior hurling championship games for Tipperary between 1997 and 1999. He won Munster and All Ireland U-21 hurling championships in 1989, a Munster U-21 hurling championship in 1990 and a Munster minor hurling championship in 1987. He won a NHL title in 1999. He also won Munster and All-Ireland junior hurling championship medals in 1989 and 1991.

Eamon O’Shea who is team coach, played 5 senior hurling championship games for Tipperary between 1979 and 1986. He also played senior inter-county hurling with Dublin. He won Munster and All-Ireland minor hurling championships with Tipperary in 1976, Munster and All-Ireland U-21 hurling championships in 1979, a Munster U-21 hurling championship in 1978 and a NHL title in 1979. He won 4 County SH championships with Kilruane MacDonaghs and won an All-Ireland club title with them in the 1985/86 season.

Michael Ryan played 24 senior hurling championship games for Tipperary in a senior inter-county career that started in 1991 versus Limerick and ended with his retirement in 2000. He won Munster and All-Ireland SH championships in 1991. He won Munster and All Ireland U-21 hurling championships in 1989, a Munster U-21 hurling championship in 1990 and a Munster minor hurling championship in 1987. He also won two NHL titles in 1994 and 1999.


Dr. Cian O’Neill from the Moorefield Club in Kildare and a lecturer and course director in Sports Science in University of Limerick (UL) is the team trainer. He has extensive experience training club, colleges and inter-county teams including the Limerick senior footballers.

SHC 2010

Tipperary 0-21 Offaly 1-12 O’Moore Park Portlaoise SHC Qualifier 18/7/10

Tipperary 3-24 Wexford 0-19 Semple Stadium SHC Qualifier 3/7/10

Cork 3-15 Tipperary 0-14 Páirc Uí Chaoimh Munster SHC Q/f 30/5/10

Tipperary Team v Offaly 18/7/10

B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; D Fanning, C O’Mahony (0-1f), Padraic Maher; B Maher (0-2), D Young; G Ryan (0-3), S McGrath (0-1), Patrick Maher; N McGrath (0-1), L Corbett (0-2), E Kelly (0-11, 8f, 2 65s)

Subs used: S Callanan for Patrick Maher (56 mins), S Hennessy for Young (61), P Bourke for N McGrath (62), C O’Brien for B Maher (67), J O’Brien for S McGrath (69).

Tipperary Team v Wexford 3/7/10

B Cummins; M Cahill, D Fanning, C O’Brien; D Young (0-3), C O’Mahony, Padraic Maher; B Maher, S McGrath; G Ryan (0-4), S Callanan (0-1), Patrick Maher (0-2); N McGrath (0-3, 1f), L Corbett (2-3), E Kelly (0-8, 3f, 2 65s).

Subs: P Curran for Fanning (inj, 2 – blood sub), J O’Brien for Callanan (50), S Hennessy for Kelly (58), D Egan (1-0) for S McGrath (64), S Maher for B Maher (68), M Heffernan for Ryan (70).

Tipperary Team v Cork 30/5/10

B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Maher, P Curran; D Fanning, C O’Mahony, M Cahill; B Maher (0-1), S McGrath; N McGrath, S Callanan (0-1), J O’Brien (0-2); E Kelly (0-7, 0-5f, 0-2 ’65), L Corbett (0-2).

Subs: S Hennessy for O’Meara ’43, G Ryan for C O’Mahony ’57, T Hammersley (0-1) for N McGrath ’62, J Brennan for J O’Brien ’66, C O’Brien for McGrath ’68.


26 players lined out for Tipperary during the 3 matches


12 players have scored to date in the championship led by Eoin Kelly (0-26), Lar Corbett (2-6), and Gearóid Ryan (0-7)

NHL 2010


Sunday February 28th in Dublin Dublin 1-21 Tipperary 1-12

Sunday March 7th in Thurles Tipperary 1-14 Kilkenny 0-13

Sunday March 14th in Thurles Tipperary 2-17 Galway 0-14

Sunday March 21st in Limerick Tipperary 2-23 Limerick 0-8

Sunday March 28th in Thurles Tipperary 1-19 Waterford 2-16

Sunday April 4th in Cork Cork 1-16 Tipperary 1-15

Sunday April 18th in Tullamore Tipperary 1-18 Offaly 2-14


32 players lined out for Tipperary during the 7 matches


20 players scored during the NHL led by Eoin Kelly (2-35), Timmy Hammersley (1-12), Lar Corbett (0-11), Seamus Callanan (1-8)

Previous Meetings between Tipperary and Galway

Championship – 24 meetings, Tipperary won 18, Galway won 6, 0 draws.

League – 65 meetings, Tipp won 42, Galway won 18, 5 draws.

Championship Meetings

1/1/1888 All Irl Final (1887) Birr Tipperary 1-1 Galway 0-0

17/12/1899 All Irl S/F (1898) Athenry Tipperary 3-14 Galway 1-3

21/9/1902 All Irl Final (1900) Terenure Tipperary 6-13 Galway 1-5

8/9/1907 All Irl S/F (1906) Limerick Tipperary 7-14 Galway 0-2

14/2/1909 All Irl S/F (1908) Limerick Tipperary 5-15 Galway 1-0

17/10/1909 All Irl S/F Limerick Tipperary 6-7 Galway 5-7

22/10/1916 All Irl S/F AthloneT Tipp 8-1 Galway 0-0 (Unfinished – Galway refused to return for the 2nd half).

26/8/1923 All Irl S/F (1922) Galway Tipperary 3-2 Galway 1-3

23/11/1924 All Irl S/F Croke Park Galway 3-1 Tipperary 2-3

6/9/1925 All Irl Final Croke Park Tipperary 5-6 Galway 1-5

17/8/1930 All Irl S/F Birr Tipperary 6-8 Galway 2-4

13/8/1950 All Irl S/F Tuam Tipperary 4-7 Galway 2-6

7/9/1958 All Irl Final Croke Park Tipperary 4-9 Galway 2-5

2/7/1961 Munster SHC S/F Ennis Tipperary 7-12 Galway 5-6

15/8/1971 All Ireland S/F Birr Tipperary 3-26 Galway 6-8

9/8/1987 All Irl S/F Croke Park Galway 3-20 Tipperary 2-17

4/9/1988 All Irl Final Croke Park Galway 1-15 Tipperary 0-14

6/8/1989 All Irl S/F Croke Park Tipperary 1-17 Galway 2-11

4/8/1991 All Irl S/F Croke Park Tipperary 3-13 Galway 1-9

8/8/1993 All Irl S/F Croke Park Galway 1-16 Tipperary 1-14

23/7/2000 All Irl Q/F Croke Park Galway 1-14 Tipperary 0-15

9/9/2001 All Irl Final Croke Park Tipperary 2-18 Galway 2-15

13/7/2003 All Irl Qualifier Pearse Stadium Tipperary 1-18 Galway 1-17

31/7/2005 All Irl Q/F Croke Park Galway 2-20 Tipperary 2-18.

Tipperary’s top scorers in last ten championship meetings with Galway-

1971 Michael ‘Babs’ Keating 2-12

1987 Pat Fox 2-1

1988 Nicky English 0-6

1989 Nicky English 0-8

1991 Michael Cleary 1-9

1993 Michael Cleary 0-8

2000 John Leahy 0-4

2001 Mark O’ Leary 2-1 and Eoin Kelly 0-7

2003 Benny Dunne 1-1 and Lar Corbett 0-4

2005 Eoin Kelly 1-9


Liam Sheedy v Galway

Tipperary’s Manager Liam Sheedy won a National League medal, at left corner back ,on the team which beat Galway, in the 1999 final at Ennis.

Michael Ryan v Galway

Current Selector, Michael Ryan, who also lined out in the number four jersey, was a winner in the 1993/94 success over the Westerners, at the Gaelic Grounds

Eamon O’Shea v Galway

Present Coach, Eamon O’Shea was right half forward on the team which beat Galway in the 1978/79 league final, also at Limerick. Eamon resides in Galway.

John McIntyre

Galway’s Manager, John McIntyre from Lorrha, was a Tipperary star in the 1980s and his Centenary Year Munster final performance, against Cork in Semple Stadium, is still recalled when that game is discussed. John made his championship debut for Tipperary against Clare in 1983 and was first choice centre back for the championships of 1983 ,’84 and ‘85. He made his eighth and final championship appearance, as a substitute, in the 1986 Munster semi final loss to Clare at Ennis. His goalkeeper, in the Munster campaigns of 1983 to 1985 was John Sheedy, a brother of current Tipp manager, Liam. Prior to his appointment in the West, John McIntyre had been Offaly Senior Hurling Manager on 2 separate occasions.

Lar Corbett

Lar played against Galway twice in the championship, winning in 2001 (scored 0-2) and 2003 (scored 0-4). He didn’t play in the All Ireland Quarter Final of 2005 due to injury.

Lar has played against eleven of the twelve teams which participated with Tipperary in this year’s Mac Carthy Cup. The only county he has not played championship hurling against is Carlow. His most frequent opponents have been Limerick – 8 meetings , followed by Clare and Cork 6 each, Waterford 5, Wexford 4, Kilkenny and Offaly 3 each, Galway 2, Antrim, Dublin and Laois 1 each.

Lar has finished best against Limerick (4-9 in total) and only failed to score in eight of his 40 championship appearances. He has scored in each of his last 15 games.

Championship appearances – Played 40, Won 24, Drew 4, Lost 12. Scored 15-53. Average – 2.45 points per game. Started 32 games, came on as a substitute 8 times

Tony Reddin

Famed former Tipperary goalkeeper, Tony Reddin, regarded as hurling’s best ever ‘keeper, is a native of Mullagh, County Galway. Now 91 years old, Tony played for his native club and the Lorrha Dorrha club in Tipperary. In a 10 year career with Tipperary he won 3 All Ireland medals in 1949, 1950 and 1951.

Seamus Shinners

Seamus Shinners from Newport moved in the opposite direction to Tony Reddin – he played in goals for Galway in their 1979 All Ireland final defeat to Kilkenny.

3 Tipp Managers in Croke Park

3 of the teams in Sunday’s quarter finals will be Tipperary men – Liam Sheedy (Tipp), John McIntyre (Galway) and Dinny Cahill (Antrim)

Tipp in Croke Park

2010 will be the 6th successive year that Tipperary will play championship hurling in Croke Park and it will be the 10th year of the last 11 that they have done so. 2004 was the only year the missed out having lost to Cork in Killarney in the qualifiers.

Championship Debutants under Liam Sheedy

Liam Sheedy has given 15 players championship debuts in his 2 seasons as Tipp SH Manager: Seamus Callanan, Darren Gleeson, Timmy Hammersley, Michael Heffernan, Seamus Hennessy, Pat Kerwick, Brendan Maher, Padraic Maher, Patrick Maher, Noel McGrath, Conor O’Brien, Brian O’Meara, Gearóid Ryan, Paddy Stapleton and David Young. 6 of them made their debuts in 2010 – Hammersley, Heffernan, Hennessy, Patrick Maher, O’Meara and Young.

Padraic Maher – The 700 Minute Man

All Star full back and captain of the Tipperary U-21 team, Padraic Maher, is the only player to have played for all 70 minutes in each of Tipp’s 10 games in League and Championship this year. He is also the only player to have played in all 10 games. Mullinahone clubmates, Eoin Kelly and Paul Curran have each played in 9 games. Kelly missed the League game v Waterford while Curran missed the League game against Cork. That was the only League or championship game Curran missed in 2009 and 2010.

Twice in Quarter Finals

Tipp and Galway have met twice in quarter finals, 2000 and 2005 with Galway winning on both occasions. Their 2010 meeting is again after a 5 year interval.

Tipp in All Ireland SHC Qualifiers, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Finals 1997 to 2010

Played 27: Won 16 Drew 1 Lost 10


July 26: Clones Quarter Final Tipperary 3-24 Down 3-8

Aug 17: Croke Park Semi Final Tipperary 2-16 Wexford 0-15

Sep 14: Croke Park Final Clare 0-20 Tipperary 2-13






July 23: Croke Park Quarter Final Galway 1-14 Tipperary 0-15


Aug 12: Croke Park Semi Final Tipperary 1-16 Wexford 3-10 (Draw)

Aug 18: Croke Park Replay Tipperary 3-12 Wexford 0-10

Sep 9: Croke Park Final Tipperary 2-18 Galway 2-15


July 13: Portlaoise Qualifier Tipperary 2-19 Offaly 1-9

July 28: Croke Park Quarter Final Tipperary 1-25 Antrim 2-12

Aug 18: Croke Park Semi Final Kilkenny 1-20 Tipperary 1-16


Jun 14: Portlaoise Qualifier Rd 1 Tipperary 3-28 Laois 0-13

July 13: Galway Qualifier Rd 2 Tipperary 1-18 Galway 1-17

July 27: Croke Park- Quarter Final Tipperary 2-16 Offaly 2-11

Aug 17: Croke Park- Semi Final Kilkenny 3-18 Tipperary 0-15


Jun 26: Limerick Qualifier Rd 1 Tipperary 3-12 Limerick 2-12

July 10: Killarney Qualifier Rd 2 Cork 0-18 Tipperary 1-9


July 31: Croke Park Quarter Final Galway 2-20 Tipperary 2-18


July 23: Croke Park- Quarter Final Waterford 1-22 Tipperary 3-13


Jun 30: Semple Stad. Round 1 Tipperary 2-17 Offaly 2-13

July 7: Parnell Park Round 2 Tipperary 1-20 Dublin 1-11

July 14: Semple Stad. Round 3 Tipperary 2-16 Cork 1-18

July 28: Croke Park Quarter Final Wexford 3-10 Tipperary 1-14


Aug 18: Croke Park Semi Final Waterford 1-20 Tipperary 1-18


Aug 16: Croke Park Semi Final Tipperary 6-19 Limerick 2-7

Sep 6: Croke Park Final Kilkenny 2-22 Tipperary 0-23


July 3: Semple Stad Qualifier Rd 1 Tipperary 3-24 Wexford 0-19

July 18: Portlaoise Qualifier Rd 3 Tipperary 0-21 Offaly 1-12

Feel free to use any of this information as appropriate. My thanks to Seamus O’Doherty and Liam Hogan for their assistance in preparing this Press Pack.

Ger Ryan

PRO, Tipperary County Board


All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final – Cork 1-25 Antrim 0-19

Cork defeated Antrim by 1-25 to 0-19 in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final on Sunday in Croke Park.

Cats await as Cork brush Antrim aside

From the Irish Examiner newspaper

Sunday, July 25, 2010 – 03:32 PM

Cork 1-25 Antrim 0-19

Cork will face Kilkenny in the semi-final of the GAA All-Ireland Hurling Senior Championship after they enjoyed a routine victory over Antrim at Croke Park this afternoon. While the scoreline may indicate that Cork did not have things all their own way, they were always in control in a contest which seemed to lack some intensity. Denis Walsh’s side did not hit top gear, but in truth they didn’t need to as they were efficient enough to take the scoring opportunities that came their way, while not letting Antrim in with a real chance of causing an upset. The Ulster side will take plenty of positives from this game though, and they were in no way disgraced by the defeat.

At times though, their lack of experience at this level cost them and a scoring burst of 1-2 in first-half injury time was crucial in ensuring Cork won with ease. For most of the first half, Antrim did well to keep in touch with Cork. Four points was the most common gap between the sides, that amount separating them on seven different occasions. From the off, Cork threatened to run away with, Paudie O’Sullivan setting the tone with a point inside 25 seconds and after seven minutes it was 0-4 to nil, Antrim struggling to find their feet. Two Neil McManus frees helped the Saffrons to get back into the game though and once they settled they were more competitive, with full-forward Liam Watson recovering from an early booking for hitting Eoin Cadogan to convert four points.

Cork were that bit sharper though, with captain Kieran Murphy doing well at centre-forward having been moved there prior to throw-in and O’Sullivan and Tom Kenny were also on form, as well as Niall McCarthy. Antrim full-back Cormack Donnelly was keeping Aisake O’hAilpín under wraps for the most part, and with McManus continuing to send over the frees they were not letting Cork get away. McManus’s fifth free, coming after the second of Kieran Murphy’s points, cut the lead to three points, 0-14 to 0-11, with half-time approaching, but in injury time Cork did much to lay the foundations for the win. First, McCarthy found the net with a clever batted finish from a tight angle after O’hAilpín set him up, and two Ben O’Connor frees left eight points in it at the break, 1-16 to 0-11.

Points from their standard-bearers, Watson and McManus, at the start of the second half ensured that Antrim would not let Cork pull away, but Cork always looked capable of taking points when they needed to and in the 45th minute Tom Kenny did well to stop a Liam Watson 20m free when a goal would have cut the gap to just three points. John Gardiner’s long-range frees, and efforts from closer in by Ben O’Connor, were helping Cork and goalkeeper Donal Og Cusack, while underworked, was still alert enough to deny Karl Stewart a goal chance on 53. Another Watson 20m free was blocked by Brian Murphy for a 65 with six minutes left and that proved to be Watson’s last activity, as he was shown a second yellow card following a scuffle.

Though McManus sent over the free that Antrim had been awarded before that melee, Antrim were never going to pull it back and Cork advanced, Cathal Naughton rounding off the win with a fine individual point while sub William Egan also got in on the act. They will know, however, that a much sterner test awaits in three weeks’ time.

Cork: D. Og Cusack; S. Murphy, E. Cadogan, B. Murphy; J.Gardiner (0-3), R.Curran, R. Ryan; T. Kenny (0-3), C. Naughton (0-2); B. O’Connor (0-6), M. Cussen, N. McCarthy (1-2); P. O’Sullivan (0-3), A.

O’hAilpin (0-1), K. Murphy (0-4).

Subs: P. Horgan for O’hAilpin, P. Cronin for Cussen, W. Egan (0-1) for McCarthy

Antrim: C. O’Connell; K. McGourty, C. Donnelly, S. Delargey; P. Shiels, J. Campbell (0-1), C. Herron; S. McNaughton (0-1), K. Stewart; S. McCrory, N. McManus (0-9), T. McCann; P. J. O’Connell, L. Watson (0-6), K. McKeegan (0-1).

Subs: J. McKeague for Shiels, B. McFall for McCann, M. Herron (0-1) for McKeigue, D.Hamill for P. J. O’Connell, E. McCloskey for McNaughton.

Ref: M. Wadding (Waterford)

Team News

Cork (SHC): D Og Cusack; S Murphy, E Cadogan, B Murphy; J Gardiner, R Curran, R Ryan; T Kenny, C Naughton; B O’Connor, M Cussen, N McCarthy; P O’Sullivan, A Ó hAilpín, K Murphy.

Antrim (SHC): C O’Connell, Kieran McGourty, C Donnelly, S Delargy, P Shiels, J Campbell, C Herron, K Stewart, S McNaughton, S McCrory, N McManus, T McCann, PJ O’Connell, L Watson, K McKeegan

Match Coverage

This game will be shown live on RTE television.

Match Preview

Antrim are back in the GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior championship quarterfinal for the first time since 2004 after their great qualifier win over Dublin and, as six years ago, they face Cork who easily beat them on that occasion. Cork later went on to win the All-Ireland title. It will be Cork’s fifth match of the campaign, having played Waterford (twice), Limerick and Tipperary.

2010 Championship


Antrim 2-18 Carlow 3-12

Antrim 1-17 Dublin 0-19

(Antrim also won the Ulster title, beating Down by 4-22 to 1-12 but it’s not part of the All-Ireland series)


Cork 3-15 Tipperary 0-14

Cork 2-19 Limerick 0-12

Cork 2-15 Waterford 2-15

Waterford 1-16 Cork 1-13 (Munster final) After extra-time.


This will be the 8th championship meeting between the counties with Cork having won the previous seven.

2004 – Cork 2-26 Antrim 0-10 (All-Ireland quarter-final)

1990 – Cork 2-20 Antrim 1-13 (All-Ireland semi-final)

1986 – Cork 7-11 Antrim 1-24 (All-Ireland semi-final)

1984 – Cork 3-26 Antrim 2-5 (All-Ireland semi-final)

1947 – Cork 7-10 Antrim 0-5 (All-Ireland semi-final)

1943 – Cork 5-16 Antrim 0-4 (All-Ireland final)

1904 – Cork 4-18 Antrim 2-3 (All-Ireland semi-final)

ESB GAA Hurling All-Ireland Minor Championship Q-Final – Galway 1-15 Waterford 2-8

Galway defeated Waterford by 1-15 to 2-8 in the ESB GAA Hurling All-Ireland Minor Championship Quarter-Final on Sunday in Croke Park.