ESB Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final – Cork 0-24 Waterford 2-18

Cork drew with Waterford after extra time in the ESB Munster Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final on Saturday after extra time in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Winners all round in another minor thriller

Cork 0-24 Waterford 2-18 (aet)

By Brendan Larkin for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, June 28, 2010

A POINT on the call of full-time in extra-time by Paudric O’Mahony earned Waterford a draw in this throbbing, absorbing ESB Munster MHC semi-final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Saturday night. It was no more than the defending champions deserved. Indeed neither side deserved to lose what was truly one of the great games at this level. Trust us: head to Walsh Park on Wednesday, July 7 for the replay. This game of 44 scores had many talking points, not least some of the inexplicable decisions of Tipperary referee Tommy Ryan, who didn’t endear himself to either side or the good crowd who were left breathless by the thrilling end to the game.

For all that, however, Waterford and Cork served up a wonderful contest that ebbed and flowed over the 80 minutes, and at the finish both managers were of the same view, that the result was a fair one. “I’m happy to be still in the championship”, said Cork coach John Considine. “We had a great 20 minute period in the second half of normal time when we went three points clear and I felt we would win it. But we showed a lot of indiscipline in defence and conceded some silly frees which were punished every time by the Waterford free taker, and it’s an area we will have to seriously look at ahead of the replay. “In the end a draw was a fair result and it’s still all to play for. The extra game will benefit most of our lads, but it’s going to very difficult now down in Walsh Park.”

Waterford coach Jimmy Meaney was equally relieved to get another chance, and to have the replay at home. “The game ebbed and flowed and it could have gone either way”, he said. “We struggled a bit around the middle and couldn’t pick up breaking ball. “The Cork forwards were very pacy and caused us a lot of problems but our defence stood up well. Some of the refereeing decisions were strange to say the least, but over the 80-odd minutes, the result was about right. Roll on the replay.”

Among the highlights of the game was the superb accuracy of Paudric O’Mahony from frees. A winner of back to back Harty Cup medals with DLS Waterford, he contributed 1-12 from placed balls and at times looked as if he would win the game single handed. Waterford can also be thankful to defenders Stephen O’Keeffe, Luke Egan and Darragh Fives, while up front and apart from O’Mahony, the contribution of Jake Dillon was also significant. The Cork team showed seven changes from the side that defeated Tipperary in the previous round, three of them in defence where the full back line of Damien Cahalane, Colm Spillane and Diarmuid Lester acquitted themselves well.

The home side won the midfield exchanges thanks to Darren Sweetnam and the impressive Nicky Kelly while up front, Conor Lehane, Jamie Coughlan and Brian Hartnett could never quite get away from their markers but to be fair to all three, they contributed 15 points between them. Waterford were the hungrier side in the opening half and chased and harassed Cork at every opportunity, but for all their outfield superiority, could only manage a 1-8 to 0-8 half time lead, their goal coming in the third minute from Eamon Murphy, and seven of their points coming from frees scored by O’Mahony.

Cork upped the tempo on the change over and were on level terms by the end of the third quarter thanks to excellent points by Conor Lehane and Jamie Coughlan, both of whom began to exert enormous pressure on the Waterford defence. The dominance of Nicky Kelly and Darren Sweetnam at midfield ensured the pressure on Waterford was constant and as the tension mounted Cork appeared to have the game in safe keeping as they took a three point coming up to the end of normal time. However, there was a dramatic end to the 60 minutes when Waterford won a 20 metre free to the right of the Cork goal and Paudric O’Mahony’s powerful shot found the corner of the net to force extra-time. Cork shaded the first period at the end of which they led 0-23 to 2-15 and where still clinging to that two point lead until Jake Dillon and O’Mahony pointed to earn their side a deserved second bite of the cherry in 10 days time.

Scorers for Cork: B. Hartnett 0-6 (three frees); C. Lehane 0-6; J. Coughlan, N. Kelly 0-3 each; D. Lordan, K. Hallissey, S. Moore, B. Murray, D. Sweetman, R. O’Shea 0-1 each.

Waterford: P. O’Mahony 1-13 (1-12 frees); E. Murphy 1-0; M. O’Neill, J. Dillon 0-2 each; C. Chester 0-1.

CORK: W. McCarthy; D. Cahalane, C. Spillane, D. Lester; K. Buckley, F. O’Mahony, C. Joyce; D. Sweetnam, N. Kelly; S. Moore, D. Lordan, C. Lehane; K. Hallissey, J. Coughlan, B. Hartnett.

Subs: B. Murray for Hallissey (half time); S. O’Keeffe for Lordan (38); R. O’Shea for O’Mahony (55); D. O’Carroll for Spillane (60); J. Wall for Moore (60); K. Burke for Cahalane (70); S. Moore for Kelly (75); D. Stokes for Buckley (77).

WATERFORD: D. Duggan; J. Barron, D. O’Keeffe, L. Egan; M. O’Neill, D. Fives, E. Madigan; P. Prendergast, G. O’Brien; P. O’Mahony, E. Murphy, Curran; J. Dillon, C. Heffernan, S. Roche.

Subs: C. Chester for Curran (22); R. Barry for S. Roche (49); S. Roche for Murphy (65); C. Curran for Prendergast (77).

Referee: T Ryan (Tipperary)

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifiers – Offaly 2-18 Clare 1-18

Offaly defeated Clare by 2-18 to 1-18 after extra time in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifiers on Saturday at 2:00pm in Tullamore.

Pride shines through as Offaly dig deep to reel in Banner

Offaly 2-18 Clare 1-18

By Alan Walsh for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, June 28, 2010

‘OFFALY PRIDE’ was the key ingredient, according to manager Tom Cribbin, as his side rallied bravely to get the better of a David Tubridy-inspired Clare in this All-Ireland SFC Qualifier. Clare enjoyed leads of 0-6 to 0-1 at half-time and 1-12 to 1-5 after 55 minutes, but Offaly dug deep and found reserves of heart to draw level on the stroke of full time thanks to impressive sub Graham Guilfoyle. And during the opening half of extra time the ‘Faithful’ went score crazy, kicking seven points to Clare’s one but Clare bounced back in the second period of extra time as Barry Toner and the brilliant Tubridy (0-3) kicked four points on the trot but Offaly sealed the deal as Anton Sullivan curled over a beauty.

Both sides lost a player each during this spell – Clare’s Graham Kelly and Offaly’s Brian Darby seeing red – after they were penalised for second bookable offences. It was Offaly’s first win in the qualifiers since 2004 when they defeated Kildare and relieved manager Cribbin admitted there was some harsh talking at half time. Cribbin explained: “I didn’t have to say a terrible lot to them. We announced the three changes and I’ll be honest, selector Declan Farrell, a very passionate Offaly man, stood in just before they went out. He spoke and the players knew they kicked nine wides in the first half and they had also dropped two shots into the goalkeeper’s hands.

“So we were five behind (0-1 to 0-6) but we kicked 11 possible scoring opportunities away and Declan, in Offaly language, told them that. He wanted to see Offaly pride. “You can’t beat one of your own letting them know how hurt he was. And the players felt it and they went out and released the shackles and took off. It took a while but it did happen.” One of Offaly’s three half-time subs, David Egan, provided them with a lifeline, looping the ball over ‘keeper Joe Hayes for a 45th minute goal.

With McNamee (0-2), Casey (free) and McManus kicking points earlier it meant the ‘Faithful’ had clawed back to within a point, (1-5 to 0-9). Clare responded magnificently, registering 1-3 without reply between the 48th and 55th minutes. That man Tubridy dispatched three points, bringing his tally to eight and sub Kevin Cahill rattled the net. Offaly fought back and incredibly they managed to level it and force extra-time. Ken Casey slammed home a 68th-minute goal after McNamee’s strike was palmed onto the crossbar and sub Graham Guilfoyle calmly clipped over the equaliser. “Cork are the one team you’d really like to avoid,” said Cribbin. “We’d like to get another home fixture and I think we’ll improve an awful lot. The pressure will be off the players now and I think you’ll see a different team the next day.”

Offaly: A Mulhall; B Darby, S Brady, K Slattery (0-1); P Sullivan, R Brady, N Darby; B Geraghty (0-1), R Dalton; J Reynolds (0-1), B Connor, C McManus (0-3, 1f, 1’45); A Sullivan (0-1), K Casey (1-4, 4f), N McNamee (0-5).

Subs: S Pender for P Sullivan, G Guilfoyle (0-1) for Dalton, D Egan (1-1) for N Darby, P McConway for Geraghty, S Longeran for Slattery, A McNamee for Egan, N Dunne for A Sullivan.

Clare: J Hayes; M Tubridy, B Duggan, B Carrig; M McMahon, G Kelly, D Callinan; G Quinlan, G Brennan (0-1); D Daly, P O’Dwyer, A Clohessy (0-1); D Tubridy (0-12, 7f, 1’45), D Russell, D Molohan (0-1, f).

Subs: K Cahill (1-1) for Molohan, J Hayes for Russell, L Healy for Carrig, G Kelly (0-1) for Daly, B Clancy for Callinan, B Toner (0-1) for Clohessy, C Dunning for Clancy, S McNeilis for Duggan.

Ref: M Higgins (Fermanagh)

GAA Qualifiers Round 1: Offaly lower Banner in extra-time

From the web site

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Offaly are in the draw for Round 2 of the GAA All-Ireland Qualifiers after a staging a remarkable comeback before completing a 2-18 to 1-18 extra-time victory over Clare in Tullamore on Saturday afternoon. The home side were trailing by seven points, 1-12 to 1-5, with 15 minutes left on the clock, but a Ken Casey goal sparked a remarkable comeback that saw the Faithful men force the game into extra-time in a dramatic finish with the sides finishing level on 1-13 to 2-10. Clare imploded in the first half and the excellent David Tubridy’s point was their sole response to seven scores from Offaly in the first period of extra-time.

Offaly’s forwards were on fire by the end of the game, but they started quite differently. The Banner led 0-6 to 0-1 at the break after Offaly had kicked eight wides in the first half, with their solitary score coming from the boot of Brian Geraghty after 25 minutes. Niall McNamee and Ciaran McManus finally pointed the way for a resurgent Faithful outfit after the break, before they came right back into the game seven minutes into the second half when David Egan’s shot was cruelly deflected past Joe Hayes, the Clare goalkeeper, to leave just a point between the sides. Clare, however, fashioned the best possible response when David Tubridy moved them two points clear with his fourth free of the afternoon.

Two minutes later, the Banner had a goal of their own when Gary Brennan burst through on goal and fed Kevin Cahill, who finished neatly to leave his side 1-10 to 1-5 clear. Tubridy knocked over another free as well as his third from play to leave Clare seven clear and, seemingly, in cruise control. However, Offaly showed true grit in the closing stages to haul back their opponents’ lead. McManus, Casey and Geraghty all hit the target for the home side as they clinically reeled Clare in over the final quarter. Graham Kelly stemmed the tide momentarily, but Casey pounced for a crucial Offaly goal with two minutes left on the clock to leave just a point between the sides. Graham Guilfoyle then clipped over the equaliser from play a minute later and the sides were level.

Remarkably, Offaly even had a chance to win the game in injury-time, but Ken Casey struck a free wide and the game went to extra-time. Offaly had all the momentum and they made that advantage tell by kicking the four points in succession in the first half of extra-time, with Casey and Guilfoyle again striking crucial points from play. Tubridy, again, was ploughing a lone furrow for Clare while offally were reeling off points with ease to cruise six clear at the end of the first period of extra-time.

Clare, however, were not finished and a pair of Tubridy points as well as a Barry Toner effort cut the gap to three. Tubridy even had time to miss a great goal chance, hitting the side netting when he might have levelled the game. Clare’s hopes were finally ended when they had Graham Kelly sent to the line following an off-the-ball incident. Ciaran McManus sealed the win with an injury-time point for Offaly, who, on this evidence, could prove a tough nut to crack in Round 2.

Offaly: A Mulhall; B Darby, S Brady, P Sullivan; N Darby, R Brady, K Slattery; B Geraghty, R Dalton; J Reynolds, B Connor, C McManus; A Sullivan, K Casey, N McNamee.

Clare: J Hayes; M Tubridy, B Duggan, B Carrig; M McMahon, G Kelly (captain), D Callinan; G Quinlan, G Brennan; M O’Shea, P O’Dwyer, A Clohessy; D Tubridy, D Russell, D Daly.

Team News

Offaly (SF v Clare) — A Mulhall; B Darby, S Brady, P Sullivan; N Darby, R Brady, K Slattery; B Geraghty, R Dalton; J Reynolds, B Connor, C McManus; A Sullivan, K Casey, N McNamee.

Clare (SF) — J Hayes; M Tubridy, B Duggan, B Carrig; M McMahon, G Kelly, D Callinan; G Quinlan, G Brennan; M O’Shea, P O’Dwyer, A Clohessy; D Tubridy, D Russell, D Daly

Last year’s qualifiers
Donegal 0-13 Clare 1-7; Wexford 2-11 Offaly 0-16.

2010 Championship
Waterford 1-10 Clare 0-9; Meath 1-20 Offaly 2-7.