Allianz NFL Division 4 – Waterford 1-12 Limerick 1-11

Waterford defeated Limerick by 1-12 to 1-11 in Round 5 of the Allianz National Football League Division 4 on Saturday at the Gaelic Grounds Limerick.

Team News

Limerick (SF Team): Brendan Moran, Johnny McCarthy, Conor Mullane, Mark O’Riordan, Andrew Lane, Shane Gallagher, Pa Ranahan, James O’Donovan, John Galvin, Padraig Browne, James Ryan, John Mullane, Ger Collins, John Cooke, Seanie Buckley (Capt).
Substitutes: Conor Ranahan, Raymond Hayes, Diarmuid Carroll, Stephen Kelly, Cormac Joyce-Power, Garrett Noonan, Ian Ryan, Eoin Joy, Thomas Butler, Wayne Enright.

Allianz NFL Division 1 – Tyrone 3-9 Cork 0-16

Red Hands off the mark

From the web site

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tyrone claimed the first points of their Allianz GAA Football National League Division One campaign with a 3-9 to 0-16 defeat of Cork at Healy Park, Omagh on Saturday night. The Rebels surrendered their unbeaten record in somewhat infuriating circumstances as they dominated the game for long periods but conceded three goals against the run of play. Tyrone made the better start and led by 0-3 to 0-1 after ten minutes. Owen Mulligan scored twice in that period, including the game’s opening score after six minutes, while Colm O’Neill continued his impressive early season form to land a beauty for the Rebels. Martin Penrose added the Red Hands’ fourth point from a free and the home side had a three-point lead and were looking good to win their first league points of the year.

However, Cork, who were late arriving at Healy Park due to the heavy traffic, suddenly, and without warning, awoke from their collective slumber to kick eight points without reply. Colm O’Neill slotted over his second point of the night from a free before Donncha O’Connor showed his team-mates the way with a beauty from play. Paudie Kissane, Pearse O’Neill and Paul Kerrigan were all on target for Cork as they took complete control of the game. Goulding added another point to complete a remarkable turnaround, leaving the Rebels 0-8 to 0-4 ahead after just 26 minutes. Cork nearly found the back after two equally bizarre incidents inside a harum scarum two-minute period. Goalkeeper Jonathan Curran slipped while kicking out the ball and was then caught in possession as Kerrigan attempted to lob the wandering Tyrone netminder, but the ball drifted wide much to Curran’s relief.

Goulding was then guilty of a horrendous miss when he somehow fired the ball against the bar from five yards out after Colm O’Neill’s fisted effort had hit a post and fallen directly into his path. Colm O’Neill then kicked a free to extend Cork’s lead. Conor Gormley stopped the rot for Tyrone with their first score in 22 minutes before the game swung wildly again as Mickey Harte’s side hit the back of the net twice inside a three-minute spell. Colm Cavanagh’s goal in the 35th minute was a thing of real beauty. He sliced through the Cork defence and seeing Ken O’Halloran off his line, clipped a weighted shot over the Rebels’ goalkeeper.

Amazingly, they managed a second goal just before the break, when Tommy McGuigan’s shot was brilliantly saved by O’Halloran, but the Tyrone corner forward reacted quickest to poke the ball home to leave his side — remarkably — 2-5 to 0-9 ahead at the break. Cork regrouped at the start of the second half and hit five points without reply to lead by two in the 43rd minute. Colm O’Neill hit his fifth point of the night in that dominant spell before he was forced off the field with an injury. Séan O’Neill stopped the rot for Tyrone with a monster point from centre-back having come on for the injured Gormley. Tyrone levelled the game thanks to further scores from Davy Harte and Mulligan.

Cork, as is their wont, hit back immediately with a John Hayes point after a sweet team move before Goulding left two between the sides in the 59th minute. Then, Harte’s charges produced another goal out of the blue. Aidan Cassidy had his shot saved by O’Halloran, but Ryan Mellon reacted quickest to the rebound to fire home from a tight angle. Martin Penrose then added another point from a free and the Red Hands had a two-point lead. Cork had plenty of chances to hit back, but Donncha O’Connor – who was shown a red card in the dying minutes for a late challenge on Tommy McGuigan – and Paddy Kelly missed frees as the home side held out for their first win of the campaign.

Team News

CORK (SF v Tyrone): K. O’Halloran; R. Carey, M. Shields, E. Cotter; P. Kissane, G. Spillane, N. O’Leary; A. O’Connor, P. O’Neill; P. Kerrigan, D. O’Connor, P. Kelly; D. Goulding, N. Murphy, C. O’Neill.

TYRONE (SF v Cork): J. Curran; D. Carlin, J. McMahon, C. McCarron; D. Harte, C. Gormley, R. McMenamin; A. Cassidy, C. Cavanagh; M. Donnelly, B. McGuigan, R. Mulgrew; T. McGuigan, M. Penrose, O. Mulligan.

Cadbury Munster U21 Football Championship – Kerry 0-19 Cork 1-8

Kerry defeated Cork by 0-19 to 1-8 in the first round of the Cadbury Munster Under 21 Football Championship on Saturday at Austin Stack Park Tralee.

Rebels blown away by rampant Kerry

Kerry 0-19 Cork 1-8

By Fintan O’Toole for the Irish Examiner newspaper

Monday, March 15, 2010

THIS was as mystifying as the corresponding fixture last year. Just like 12 months ago, the sense beforehand was that Saturday afternoon’s Cadbury’s Munster U21FC quarter-final in Austin Stack Park would be a finely-balanced and competitive clash. Instead Kerry produced a supreme display that completely immobilised Cork’s challenge, in a game that was as crazily lopsided as last season’s encounter. Cork, parading a large chunk of players who went on to win the 2009 All-Ireland U21 title, were in high spirits entering this game but their performance was hugely inept. They are not as poor as this sub-standard showing would suggest, in the same way that Kerry’s players clearly could not be dismissed after their meek display last year. But Cork were powerless against a Kerry side that looked irresistible. There were promising signs in Kerry’s opening-half play and with a healthy 0-10 to 1-4 advantage at the interval, they cut loose in the second-half. They restricted Cork to just a single second-half point until the dying embers of the game and chalked up nine points themselves as their offensive threats gave a scoring master class.

Manager John Kennedy revealed that he had urged his players at half-time to maintain their high first-half standards. “There was a nice breeze there and we felt at half-time that we still had plenty work to do. But the lads were very hungry and they fought for everything, particularly when it came to winning the ugly ball. “We didn’t allow Cork into the game at the start, which was important as they’d been very dominant at the start last year. We’d great leaders but it’s just the first game and if we lose in Dungarvan next week, no one in Kerry’s going to remember this game.” In the Cork camp afterwards, there was a disheartened feel to the post-mortem. Injuries impeded their progress, with hamstring victim Aidan Walsh unable to start, yet selector Mick O’Loughlin refused to proffer that in mitigation. “Kerry played outstandingly well and it’s as simple as that. The injuries didn’t help us but you have to hand it to them. We came down and thought we’d a good chance, but while we were competitive in the first 10 minutes, we couldn’t get into it after that. Johnny Buckley was outstanding at midfield and because of him we couldn’t get the ball.”

O’Loughlin’s decision to name check Buckley when reflecting on the game got right to the crux of the matter. Kerry’s control of this match stemmed largely from another tremendous midfield performance by the Dr Crokes man. Their ploy of using Daithí Casey as a third midfielder was also productive and they possessed a plethora of forwards who had sharp moves, skilful touches and measured shooting. Both Barry John’s from Strand Road were in predictably electric form, but it was the impressive inputs of Paul Geaney and James O’Donoghue that will please John Kennedy most. Cork had their moments of resurgence in the first-half, though. Initially they looked to be attuned to the pace of the game, Ciaran Sheehan and Jason Sexton galloping through for early points that left them 0-3 to 0-1 ahead. Even when Kerry pulled 0-7 to 0-4 clear, Cork were composed enough to fire up a response in the 24th minute when their best move of the match was crowned by an emphatic shot to the net by Barry O’Driscoll.

But that proved to be a blip best encapsulated by the astonishing fact that between the 24th and 59th minutes, Kerry outscored Cork by 0-12 to 0-1. Kerry’s relentless attacking in the third quarter heaped problems upon a beleaguered Cork side that simply could not get going. Ian Jones and Mark Collins tried valiantly to keep Cork going, and those efforts translated into three late points. But that did not alter the scoreboard in a meaningful manner as Kerry strode towards a last four meeting with Waterford in Dungarvan next Saturday.

Scorers for Kerry: BJ Keane 0-7 (0-2f), BJ Walsh (0-2f, 0-1 ‘45), P Geaney (0-1f) 0-4 each, J O’Donoghue 0-3, P O’Donoghue 0-1.

Cork: B O’Driscoll 1-2 (0-1f), C Sheehan 0-2, JP Murphy, J Sexton, E Keane, M Collins (0-1f) 0-1 each.

KERRY: T Mac an tSaoir; P Crowley, K O’Connor, B McGuire; P O’Connor, B Shanahan, J Lyne; J Buckley, C Moriarty; J O’Donoghue, BJ Keane, M Geaney; D Casey, BJ Walsh, P Geaney.

Subs: E Walsh for Moriarty (27), P O’Donoghue for M Geaney (56), D McElligott for Lyne (59).

CORK: S Mellet; R O’Sullivan, R Buckley, I Jones; M Hickey, K O’Driscoll, JP Murphy; C O’Donovan, E Keane; C Sheehan, M Collins, P Honohan; J Sexton, B O’Driscoll, A Holland.

Subs: M Cahalane for Holland (39), L Jennings for O’Sullivan (inj) (43), A Walsh for O’Donovan (45), E Buckley for Sexton (50), S Beston for K O’Driscoll (58).

Referee: Rory Hickey (Clare)